Sam & Max The Movie

Comments

• edited July 2008
    The only good thing that came out of Sonic the hedgehog was the protagonist character, Doctor Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008

Jake.

You're awesome.

Barring the fact that I was a Nintendo kid growing up, who lived and died by Super Mario Bros releases, could draw every enemy and NPC character and most all of the Mario poses as they appeared in the Mario 3 manual and Player's Guide by heart, and didn't ever actually own a 16-bit Sega console, of course. That part is a horrible abomination.
  • edited July 2008
    One hour, fourty-one minutes.

That's how long it takes for someone to go from "Pretty great" to "Totally Awesome" and then down, down, down past "Pretty great" to "Horrible abomination".

Good job.

I don't think anyone's ever gained and shattered my respect so quickly. =O
  • edited July 2008
    ^someone use this post in the next Sam & Max game! Please!!
  • edited July 2008
    -warning: moving back on topic-
    They're gonna make the movie sooner or later. Next summer i bet you. They might as well have finished making the whole damn thing because they're Pixar and they're more secure about their secrets then Area 51. God i cant wait XD
  • edited July 2008
    Next summer, Pixar is doing Up. They already released the teaser trailer showing an old man sitting on the porch of his house in a rocking chair while it is being pulled sky-ward by an insane number of very realistic looking balloons.

Down the tube is Cars 2 (GOD, why?!), the 3-D re-releases of Toy Story, and then Toy Story 3.

If they are going to make a feature film on Sam & Max, it will be after 2012. Until then, we can only hope for a short film.
  • edited July 2008
    I'm with you on the bewilderment about Cars 2. :confused:
  • edited July 2008
    More like Crap 2: The Quest for More Money
  • edited July 2008
    There's a lot of people that say Cars was a good movie and all I can do is sit and stare. Cars was creepy. Cars was not funny. Cars was the worst Pixar movie ever. I liked Ratatoullie a ton, that was a great movie with a lot of inspiration. I don't know about Wall-E though, it doesn't look interesting enough and there's too many movies to see this summer.
  • edited July 2008
    Eh. Cars wasn't a bad movie. Comparatively bad, considering the usual quality of the studio that spawned it? Yeah, sure. But, compared to movies in general (not just Pixar films), it wasn't a bad movie by any means.
  • edited July 2008
    I saw Wall-E under odd circumstances.

I came to a new theater that has all digital projectors, thanks to exclamations of "NO FILM RESIDUE AFJOIEWJJ:". Personally, I don't care too much. But whatever, digital projectors it is. I basically got through the first part of the movie, and I think most people who've seen the film will know where the thransition is. In the first big change of scenery.

Then, the projector was on the fritz, and kept displaying a green bar. And not a TINY green bar, this green bar took up a good fourth of screen, starting at the bottom. And it flashed. So anyway, they couldn't fix it and we got free tickets for the next movie. In the rush we ended up with three more movie passes than we were supposed to....so I suppose it worked out alright. ;)

Anyway, I went back to see the film based on the first part.

I thought "Wow. This movie...could...rival Toy Story".

And honestly, the rest of the movie was good. I really enjoyed myself, which is something I can't say about most films. But after the first part, the movie kind of takes a large dive.

And it's kind of sad that the most memorable thing about the film, for me, is(minor spoiler regarding music)
    a song from Hello Dolly.

The magic got lost somewhere between the first scene and...well.

I came in sorta skeptical. I started off thinking "Wow, okay, this is GREAT. This could be....better than TOY STORY!"

But by the end, it was "a good movie". Which isn't bad, but I didn't really walk out of the theater with that huge grin on my face that I got from Dark Knight. Maybe I'm too old for cartoons. ;)
  • edited July 2008
    YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD FOR CARTOONS!! Seriously, revisit the cartoons you've watched as a child now and you'll see some stuff in there you didn't get at that age. I have a whole new appreciation for Animaniacs (and essentially most of the Warner Bros. Studio Cartoons) as a result of this. The same can be said for Tex Avery, especially when you learn the startling fact that those cartoons were NEVER intended for children.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    For a while I thought about writing a thesis on the works of Chuck Jones. Never too old for cartoons.
  • edited July 2008
    I'm going to college for animation in because I love cartoons and I'm very disapointed in the declining quality of them. What ever happened to the professionalism of hand drawn masterpeices? The violent slapstick? The well placed and thought out humor? Oh well, I call it an opportunity. Maybe a difference can be made ;)
  • edited July 2008
    Will wrote: »
    For a while I thought about writing a thesis on the works of Chuck Jones. Never too old for cartoons.

http://www.xanga.com/Hynkel/668202462/item.html

Physics college thesis... fun!
  • edited July 2008
    Zootch wrote: »
    Reminds me of something we did in science class where the teacher put on a Road Runner cartoon and told us to note as many applications/subversions of the laws of physics we could find.
  • edited July 2008
    Snocat wrote: »
    I'm going to college for animation in because I love cartoons and I'm very disapointed in the declining quality of them. What ever happened to the professionalism of hand drawn masterpeices? The violent slapstick? The well placed and thought out humor? Oh well, I call it an opportunity. Maybe a difference can be made ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qji2Q45Fw_k

That should answer a few of those questions.
  • edited July 2008
    I almost can't wait to get out of highschool and into college at this point lol
    Writing papers isn't so bad when its about something you like :)
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008

I'm sure you have already seen it, but I thought Presto was an excellent homage to classic Warner Bros.
  • edited July 2008
    Ahh,Disney sometimes makes better shorts their movies.Any Hannah Montana movies in the works, I'm coldly staring at you.
  • edited July 2008
    Zeek wrote: »
    YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD FOR CARTOONS!! Seriously, revisit the cartoons you've watched as a child now and you'll see some stuff in there you didn't get at that age. I have a whole new appreciation for Animaniacs (and essentially most of the Warner Bros. Studio Cartoons) as a result of this. The same can be said for Tex Avery, especially when you learn the startling fact that those cartoons were NEVER intended for children.

I agree. You're never too old for cartoons. But there are plenty of people who are too uptight for cartoons. Oddly enough, many of them seem to be fans of Sam & Max, which makes absolutely no sense to me.
  • edited July 2008
    I agree. You're never too old for cartoons. But there are plenty of people who are too uptight for cartoons. Oddly enough, many of them seem to be fans of Sam & Max, which makes absolutely no sense to me.
    That's because Sam & Max was a comic (and an underground one, no less!) and a video game (a point-and-click one, no less!) first.
    You notice how many people hate the cartoon for being 'kiddied' up?
    Exactly.
  • edited July 2008
    Okay, now we are just splitting hairs.

"Cartoon" by contemporary definition isn't just animation. It is anything that is in the graphic style of a cartoon. Which includes comics and video games in the same aesthetics. Which also means that mature comics like The Watchmen and even the perverted Japanese hentai classify as, in the Western Pop Culture sense, as a "cartoon" because they are drawn in the aesthetic that qualifies them as such.
  • edited August 2008
    Traumatizing Sonic The Hedgehog Fan-Art= Cartoon with, wellll....You'll be fascinated by the things hedehogs and other animals would do.
  • edited August 2008
    I wonder if they actually have lives outside of the lewd acts they commit. Then again, stories never really fit well with that kind of... "art" anyways
  • edited August 2008
    Heres a tital for you, "Sam & Max: Freelance Criminals!" And they try to do bad but all of their actions leave in the betterment for man kind. Plus lots of swearing, LOTS of swearing.
  • edited August 2008
    Heres a tital for you, "Sam & Max: Freelance Criminals!" And they try to do bad but all of their actions leave in the betterment for man kind. Plus lots of swearing, LOTS of swearing.

No. Please, no. Spare me. Show me mercy. Please my friend, no.
  • edited August 2008

And how is that different form Freelance Police?
  • edited August 2008
    I mean REAL swearing, as the F-note. Ever notice they just bleep it out? RATED R for Ridiculous.
  • edited August 2008
    What's the point of packing the game with f-bombs when there's much better ways to be funny?

I hear enough of the word and variants thereof on the bus every day, last thing I want to do is come home and play a game stuffed with it just to be "edgy" and "cool".
  • edited August 2008
    I mean REAL swearing, as the F-note. Ever notice they just bleep it out? RATED R for Ridiculous.
    The thing is, Sam & Max has never at any point been like that. Content-wise, it's always been pretty much at a 'T' level, and adding in random swearing doesn't improve anything.

(Besides, if you play through 205, it's implied that
    nobody was actually swearing, turning the entire thing into kind of a 'take that' towards censorship anyway
    .)
  • edited August 2008
    True true. But I'm just saying it would still make me happy. That and a cross-over with every awesome show that was cancelled on Fox Kids who join in & sing "Were not gonna take it" until Max shoots them all!
  • edited August 2008
    That's kind of a long list, even if you are able to get at least one character from every show listed by that intro on Family Guy.
  • edited August 2008
    True true. But I'm just saying it would still make me happy. That and a cross-over with every awesome show that was cancelled on Fox Kids who join in & sing "Were not gonna take it" until Max shoots them all!
    Yes, the awesome Fox Kids shows! Like... uh... erm...
    Well, let's see... Darkwing was Disney, WB had Animaniacs (and Freakazoid! and Tiny Toon Adventures)... yeah, right. Awesome Fox Kids shows.

Did they have the Magic School Bus? I don't think that counts.
  • edited August 2008
    All there awesome shows were cancelled before they could even have had a chance.
  • edited August 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    Yes, the awesome Fox Kids shows! Like... uh... erm...
    Well, let's see... Darkwing was Disney, WB had Animaniacs (and Freakazoid! and Tiny Toon Adventures)... yeah, right. Awesome Fox Kids shows.

Did they have the Magic School Bus? I don't think that counts.
    No, that was PBS.
  • edited August 2008
    Zeek wrote: »
    No, that was PBS.
    I seem to remember it being on Fox when I was younger.
    Of course, I was 6 at the time, so the whole thing's a bit of a blur.
  • edited August 2008
    Is there any evidence at all that they're going to make the movie? Somebody needs to dress suspicously and spy on Steve.
  • edited August 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    I seem to remember it being on Fox when I was younger.
    Of course, I was 6 at the time, so the whole thing's a bit of a blur.
    It was for a short time, but it was in that block where a lot of shows were rotated in and out for low ratings or because they thought it wouldn't do as well. A great example is Pokemon when it first became a Saturday Morning Cartoon. They shoved it at the first hour block because the exec's didn't think it would hold its own and eventually got moved to the "prime time" SatAM block.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ratings just bombed for Magic School Bus and PBS just picked it up because it was educational and they needed something other than Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street for the kids. Kind of wish they didn't get rid of the Carmen Sandiego game show, though...
  • edited August 2008
    Is there any evidence at all that they're going to make the movie? Somebody needs to dress suspicously and spy on Steve.

There's no evidence. Just a video on the internet floating around of Steve at some convension saying that he'd like to do a feature film plot with the characters.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.