The Walking Dead choose-your-own adventure fanfic! (Story started, character submit still open!)

edited June 2014 in Forum Games
So while we wait for episode 4, I thought something fun would be a fanmade 'Walking Dead forum game' in which people can submit themselves, or their own fan characters, to be a part of, and which would have 'choices' during the story, which would be voted upon by the forum members (so a majority decides which option gets picked)!

You can submit your character / yourself here:
https
://docs.google.co
m/forms/d/16wAtlf
sv9IwtnqXEX5e5
JjIw3ICCD1WlFA8kr
Hr6M8M/viewform

Sorry the link's all split up, I wasn't sure if it'd work otherwise! If you select the whole thing, it should paste just fine.

So please, feel free to submit your characters, and give feedback on the idea here in the topic? (Like maybe what personality you'd like the main character, who will be representing the forum 'player', to have?)

**Characters introduced so far:** (*Italicized* characters are deceased or presumed deceased.)

Alice, Stephany, Thalia Gray, *Dixie (Dixiecz)*, Jack, *E.J.*, *Markus Pauson*, Rema (AllThatRemains), Jen, *Aj*, *Miguel Conroy*, *Gabrielle*, Pun (Puncake), *Dan Jensen*, *Freddie Jones*, Zach Harrisan (unnamed so far), Lizzy, Devyn ('Dev'), Devin

Comments

• That sounds like fun! It's a shame it doesn't look like you've got a lot of feedback
  • Yeah for some reason there's not been much response?? Thanks though, I'm glad you think it's a fun idea too ! :)

That sounds like fun! It's a shame it doesn't look like you've got a lot of feedback

• Do you have any specific plot points in mind for your game or would it spoil to tell?
    sardines posted: »

Yeah for some reason there's not been much response?? Thanks though, I'm glad you think it's a fun idea too ! :)

• Looks cool. There's lots of others, but new ones like these usually become popular quick. Hopefully yours becomes successful! Do we base our character off of ourselves in real life or can it be fictional?
  • It can be either! You can even submit multiples and do both if you want! :) Whatever floats your boat.

Looks cool. There's lots of others, but new ones like these usually become popular quick. Hopefully yours becomes successful! Do we base our character off of ourselves in real life or can it be fictional?

• In the name, we can put our user name here?
  • I do have a lot of choice ideas already, but it might be a spoiler to tell them! Basically a lot darker than at least Season 1 of the game though, like a lot more pragmatic vs moral decisions instead of just bad vs worse decisions.

Do you have any specific plot points in mind for your game or would it spoil to tell?

• You can, but you should put a name for the character too, for in the story. It doesn't have to be your real name if you don't want to, just something believable as a name, like just 'Dave' or something. If you don't put one and you just put your username, I might assign a name to the character (like Vee for Alive_Clem, because aliVE or something like that.)
    Alive_Clem posted: »

In the name, we can put our user name here?

• edited May 2014
    Cool. I'll join :D

Edit: When is this starting? And I made a few characters if that's okay ^_^

It can be either! You can even submit multiples and do both if you want! :) Whatever floats your boat.

• Okay I already send you.

You can, but you should put a name for the character too, for in the story. It doesn't have to be your real name if you don't want to, just

• edited May 2014
    Sent! Good job thinking that. There are already 2 threads like this but they don't accept new people. Glad you made this thread.
  • when posting a link, all you have to do is delete the http// part
  • That's fine! I'll start it probably when I have 20 characters submitted (it's at 11 right now) though the character submit will stay open the whole time. I'm never planning on closing it, as there's always room for more characters to come in somehow. :) And I want everyone to get a chance to be in it if they want!

Cool. I'll join :D Edit: When is this starting? And I made a few characters if that's okay ^_^

• Oh. Thanks for that information, I didn't know! I might go back and fix the link then in a bit.

when posting a link, all you have to do is delete the http// part

• Yeah, that was my thoughts! I don't plan to close character submissions on this, even when it's started. I want everyone to get a fair chance to be in it! :D Thanks for sending then!
    BuDDy100 posted: »

Sent! Good job thinking that. There are already 2 threads like this but they don't accept new people. Glad you made this thread.

• edited May 2014
    Awesome! I can't wait already!

That's fine! I'll start it probably when I have 20 characters submitted (it's at 11 right now) though the character submit will stay open th

• Sounds cool! Good Luck
  • Even though you can't add them, just put them as minor characters.(Like Matthew.)

That's fine! I'll start it probably when I have 20 characters submitted (it's at 11 right now) though the character submit will stay open th

• Yeah, that was what I was thinking. There's always room for more minor characters.
    BuDDy100 posted: »

Even though you can't add them, just put them as minor characters.(Like Matthew.)

• Looks pretty cool, I went ahead and submitted a character, so I hope this works out
  • Sounds awesome, submitted my character 'Jack'
  • Thanks for all the character submissions guys, they all seem great so far! :) I just need 5 more characters before I start writing!

Just to ask, what would you guys think of a genderneutral protagonist to represent the forums/what choices you all make? Like, the character's gender is never mentioned? I'd probably give them a name, though!

Or I could just make a whole new character for you all to 'play' as, complete with a gender, backstory etc.

Which would you prefer?
  • Maybe you should be the protagonist since your the writer!

But I think we should just make a whole new character, because I find it odd to have a character with unknown gender!

Thanks for all the character submissions guys, they all seem great so far! :) I just need 5 more characters before I start writing! Jus

• I'll probably go with the whole new character route then, so you guys can 'play' someone new :) I still am planning to put myself in it though, as a character! Just not the protagonist. No telling whether I'll live very long or not though...

Maybe you should be the protagonist since your the writer! But I think we should just make a whole new character, because I find it odd to have a character with unknown gender!

• Well that's understandable! It looks like you are getting some feedback! Congratulations

I do have a lot of choice ideas already, but it might be a spoiler to tell them! Basically a lot darker than at least Season 1 of the game though, like a lot more pragmatic vs moral decisions instead of just bad vs worse decisions.

• (We reached twenty characters [over it, actually!] so here's the first part! Please vote on what the main character should do! Characters will be introduced shortly; this is only the beginning of the zombie apocalypse, after all!)

CHAPTER 1

Your name is Elias Aleman and you're worried that something has gone horribly, terribly wrong. You and a few of your friends were set to meet up here at the grocery store near your house so you could walk to the game store a few blocks down, but so far your friends aren't here and so aren't a lot of the usual shoppers, it seems - the place is just about dead. You're starting to wonder if something big has happened during your 45-minute walk here (and wishing you'd asked your parents if you could have borrowed the car instead), like some sort of natural disaster; you can't really think of what else it could be - maybe a big storm or a tornado is on the way? It is Kansas - tornadoes are to be expected this time of year. Frowning, you pace from where you were meant to meet your friends (the frozen pizza aisle - don't ask) and contemplate calling one of them. Maybe Alice.

Before you can, however, a loud bang interrupts your train of thought - the distinct sound of what you're pretty sure is a gun firing, and something of a pretty high caliber.

Holy shit. Part of you wants to drop to the floor and hide until the police sort whatever this is out, but another, smaller part of you wants to go and check it out.

"This is how people in horror movies die," you mutter to yourself. But isn't it just as dangerous to stay here? If a shooter's on the loose, maybe you can talk them down? Either way, you're very desperate to know what's going on, enough that you're seriously considering leaving the aisle and following the source of the noise (as stealthily as you can, of course.)

What will you do?

[Investigate the source of the noise] OR [Hide] ?

>>>>
  • [Investigate the source of the noise]

They say curiosity killed the cat. But if Lee never investigated to find Mark, then they would be eating human meat!

First part and I'm already hooked. Good job so far!

(We reached twenty characters [over it, actually!] so here's the first part! Please vote on what the main character should do! Characters wi

• Thanks! I know the first part wasn't super exciting but it was the best I could do as a 'starting' point :)

Now I just hope I can get at least 2 more votes! I think for now, with this being so inactive, 3 votes might be what I go with - then there will be a clear winner, either way. (either 2-1 or unanimous.) So when this reaches 3 votes I'll post the next part!

[Investigate the source of the noise] They say curiosity killed the cat. But if Lee never investigated to find Mark, then they would be eating human meat! First part and I'm already hooked. Good job so far!

• Heeey I need 2 more votes before I post the next part! Anyone...?

(We reached twenty characters [over it, actually!] so here's the first part! Please vote on what the main character should do! Characters wi

• Investigate the source of the noise

• I appreciate the bump, heheh. :D If I don't end up getting any more votes in the next day or so, I might just post the second part and so on. Here's hoping more people see this though!

BUMP!

• Hope so. This deserves more recognition!

I appreciate the bump, heheh. If I don't end up getting any more votes in the next day or so, I might just post the second part and so on. Here's hoping more people see this though!

• [Investigate the source of the noise]

• edited May 2014

[Investigate the source of the noise]

You decide that you're better off checking what's going on than staying clueless, so you slink your way out of the aisle and in the direction you think the noise came from. As you get closer, it isn't hard to make out the sounds of an argument going on, so you follow them and end up in the gun section.

There's a man arguing with the woman behind the counter; the woman looks sufficiently pissed, and she's holding onto a gun of some sort that the man seems to be trying to pull from her grasp.

"Listen, sir," she says. "I already told you once, if you don't have a license, I can't give this to you. You're lucky that that bullet didn't hit anyone. Security's been called, you need to stand back."

You guess during whatever struggle happened that the gun went off. You're a little annoyed that the store would keep a loaded gun in the first place, but you guess that's their problem - being a more local store you doubt they do many checks on that sort of thing. You are more than a little relieved that the danger seems to have passed, though - except --

"You don't understand!" the man is screaming, and he seems desperate. "There are -- THINGS on the loose, monsters, they -- they ate my fucking sister! I need a gun, now!"

You're interrupted from watching like a deer in the headlights by a voice to your left. "Elias!" It's your friend Alice, a short blonde girl from your class who was supposed to meet you here today with the others. "Where were you?" you ask her, but she just shakes her head as she moves to your side and grabs your sleeve.

"Come on," she says quietly, sounding concerned. "We need to get out of here... Something big is happening--"

Just then a scream cuts her off. The man has wrestled the gun from the woman's hands, now pointing it at her, and he flinches as she screams for security - the gun goes off. The woman is choking now, clutching at her neck as blood sprays from the wound.

Your jaw drops. What the fuck just happened?! Glancing at Alice, you see she's just as shocked as you are. The man looks surprised, too, like he didn't mean to do it, and then he turns to you two, staring at you with wide eyes and the gun still raised in his hands.

"Oh my god," you mumble frantically. "Alice, come on, let's get out of here--"

But she shakes her head again and cuts you off. "No!" The woman has slumped forward against the counter, still clutching at her neck as blood streams down despite her attempts to lessen the bleeding.

"She's hurt," Alice says. "We have to help her!"

But the man's still got the gun pointed at you, and you're not about to try and get any closer. As far as you know he could shoot you, too.
    "She said she called security! They'll help her!" you hiss, trying to keep your voice quiet so as not to startle the man into pulling the trigger again. The woman lets out a soft keening noise and collapses completely across the counter. "We need to get out of here before he shoots us, too!"

What will you do?

[Go to help the woman] OR [Run] ?

• [Go to help the woman]

[Investigate the source of the noise] You decide that you're better off checking what's going on than staying clueless, so you slink your

• [Go to help the woman]

[Investigate the source of the noise] You decide that you're better off checking what's going on than staying clueless, so you slink your

• [Go to help the woman]

• By the way, I put two sets of clothing for my characters because I didn't know if it was Winter or Summer in the game yet.

• CathalOHaraCathalOHara Moderator

Submitted mine there, I'm going by my stage name (I'm an actor) so it'll be partially weird seeing it on here.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.