The Legendary Monkey Island FanArt

Comments

• edited February 2010
    TioAlli wrote: »
    oh..and I thought he used Microsoft Paint...
    Of course he didn't... the file name's not "Guy.brush", right?
  • edited February 2010
    Not exclusively... the re-modeling, lighting and rendering of the (extracted) 3D-characters was done in 3dsmax, while everything that came after that was done with Photoshop.
    But anyway, awesome work, dude. I really, really, really liked it (so I printed it in 60x90 inch and pinned to my wall) =)

Thou 2 quick questions and I'll leave you to your glory:

1) When you extracted the models, did you position them in that way too (ex. make Guybrush touch his chest with his hand, etc.) or they were already like that?

2) Is LeChuck also an extracted model that you "blended" into the background or did you add those flashing eyes and the grin yourself?
  • edited February 2010
    Uzrname wrote: »
    1) When you extracted the models, did you position them in that way too (ex. make Guybrush touch his chest with his hand, etc.) or they were already like that?
    They were already (mostly) in those poses (I've snapped them while the game was running)... although I had to turn a head, or an arm or some other parts a bit to be in the exact poses I wanted (Elaine never had such a pose in the games). The Winslow I've snapped actually was holding up a lantern (taken from the beginning of Chapter 3), so I removed his arm altogether.
    2) Is LeChuck also an extracted model that you "blended" into the background or did you add those flashing eyes and the grin yourself?
    Yep, LeChuck (including his grin) is extracted as well and put into the background in Photoshop... I've added the glow in his eyes though.
  • edited February 2010
    Ever tried to propose it as official poster thou? It would avoid people printing it on large paper with pixels coming out.
  • edited February 2010
    Ever tried to propose it as official poster thou? It would avoid people printing it on large paper with pixels coming out.
    It's not like I didn't have a theoretical conversation about that with Jake... but ultimately I just did it for fun.
  • edited February 2010
    I drew some more stuff.

durpfinal.jpg

I kinda screwed up on Morgan's belt. durp.
  • edited February 2010
    Very nice, once again! Are you thinking of entering the TTG art contest this week?
  • edited February 2010
    Yup! Just wanted to finish up this thing first before I started any other stuff.
  • edited February 2010
    Awesome. Wish you luck! Got any ideas as far as design and stuff go? Or are you keeping all of that from us until you've finished and entered?
  • edited February 2010
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    I drew some more stuff.

durpfinal.jpg

That's really good. May I put it up for captioning in the next caption contest?
  • edited February 2010
    I drew some more stuff.

durpfinal.jpg

Eeeeeeeeeee, thankyouthankyouthankyou! It came out so much better than anything I could've expected!
  • edited February 2010
    Constructive critizism:
    It kind of looks like Guybrush face is floating. Is that green goo supposed to be his neck?
  • edited February 2010
    Constructive critizism:
    It kind of looks like Guybrush face is floating. Is that green goo supposed to be his neck?

It's his poxed neck, yeah.
  • edited February 2010
    That is one awesome Pyrite Parrot.
  • edited February 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    It's his poxed neck, yeah.
    Yeah this, unless you're talking about something else. His head's supposed to be pushed down by the elbow, but I guess I should make that more visible next time.
    PecanBlue wrote: »
    That is one awesome Pyrite Parrot.
    Thanks. hehe. I actually did him completely by memory, so I was kinda hoping I didn't screw up.
    apenpaap wrote: »
    That's really good. May I put it up for captioning in the next caption contest?
    Wow, uh... sure! :D
  • edited February 2010
    That looks great Tope! Awwwww, poor de-handed, put-upon Guybrush. I love the expression on his face.
  • edited February 2010
    I drew some more stuff.

durpfinal.jpg

Heh, Morgan is just being smugged about all of this. This is awesome by the way!
  • edited February 2010
    I drew some more stuff.

durpfinal.jpg

well, i hope you can take constructive criticism well (i always encourage it with my own art) well, morgans thighs look a little too big,her heads too small and i think her necks too long. but,the pyrite parrot is awesome, and guybrush is pretty much perfect (his hair looks a little weird but i think thats just my opinion.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited February 2010
    I was wondering what Guybrush would look like as a Homestar Runner character, and came up with this.:D

guyrunner.png
  • edited February 2010
    well, i hope you can take constructive criticism well (i always encourage it with my own art) well, morgans thighs look a little too big,her heads too small and i think her necks too long. but,the pyrite parrot is awesome, and guybrush is pretty much perfect (his hair looks a little weird but i think thats just my opinion.

Huh, I don't think its that Morgan's head is too small as much as her neck is too long, but I do know what you're sayin. Unless you're talking about her head is way smaller than it is in the game then, oh boy it is, but so is Guybrush's head. Overall, Morgan was really hard to get right because of her body structure and this bugged me the entire time while cleaning and coloring the thing because I was too far into coloring until i realized it (and I was too lazy to go back :[).

But thanks anyways! I'll take these into consideration for the future.
  • edited February 2010
    well, morgans thighs look a little too big

Actually, if anything I think her waist is a bit wider than it is in game, she does have really wide hips and thighs. (yes I did paste that image together from several screencaps. For science!)
  • edited February 2010
    Not that great, but what do you expect me to do when i'm bored?
  • edited February 2010
    I did it!!

I finished the first page of my comic retelling of Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 4: The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood.

I'll post each page as it's done, but remember that I am very slow, so savour this one as there won't be another one for a while.

Anyway, without further ado I introduce to you my page one! With a higher Stan/panel ratio than any other comic I know of!
    (I took some liberties for practicality's sake, but I tried to still stay as accurate as I could).

(Feel free to tell me if you notice something that seems off. Since it's vectors, it's technically possible to modify it if I want to).
  • edited February 2010
    This kinda looks cool, but... what's the point of retelling the Chapter 4 again? If you want to make a Tales webcomic, wouldn't it seem more logical to start with the first chapter instead?
  • edited February 2010
    Chapter 4 is my favourite, so...

I might do the other ones later if I feel inspired. But considering the point of view I'm using, chapter 4 is really the only one I think I'll tell. 1-3 and 5 are... let's say irrelevant :P
  • edited February 2010
    Good luck in getting some out-of-story arc readers for a change then =)
  • edited February 2010
    Good luck in getting some out-story arc readers for a change then =)

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but thanks :)
  • edited February 2010
    I was talking about people who played one random episode of Tales before going "Oh yeah, right. I could totally dig that."

Kind of those who selectively read J.K.'s books and call themselves hardcore wiz fans.

The whole thing referring to the fact that it would probably be hard for a non-Tales fan to understand how the story got there in the first place. But that would also mean making at least a brief recap of everything else, which I imagine is pretty darn long even in text form.
  • edited February 2010
    Oooh, I see. The comic is only meant for fans who have played it all. Actually, there are lots of jokes that wouldn't make sense if you haven't played it. And I'm spoiling the story while skipping some of the most important part (from a player's point of view), so I definitely wouldn't start with reading the comic and then play the game.

That's why I'm showing it here, in the fanart thread. I'm assuming everyone here has played the games already or is planning to anyways.
  • edited February 2010
    DOUBLE POST!

So, this ad was supposed to appear later in the comic, but I wanna share it nao >_<!

So here you go, you get it early. Lucky you.

stanad.png

(Click on image for bigger version).
  • edited February 2010
    lol It should've said "Comic of the Century-y-y-y-y-y-y" instead.
  • edited February 2010
    DOUBLE POST!

So, this ad was supposed to appear later in the comic, but I wanna share it nao >_<!

So here you go, you get it early. Lucky you.

stanad.png

(Click on image for bigger version).

Love it! Where can I order one??
  • edited February 2010
    Write to telltale and ask!
    Maybe if enough people want one they'll make them available.
  • edited February 2010
    Another Kirby! This time it's Morgan:

0004aqz1
  • edited February 2010
    Jen Kollic wrote: »
    Another Kirby! This time it's Morgan:

0004aqz1

Kirby ate Morgan!? :eek:
  • edited February 2010
    Your Kirby series is awesome as usual!

But why did you make Morgan dark-skinned? I thought she was the same complexion as Guybrush. Suits her really well though.
  • edited February 2010
    Guybrush is pretty pasty white, while Morgan is pretty tan.
  • edited February 2010
    But why did you make Morgan dark-skinned? I thought she was the same complexion as Guybrush. Suits her really well though.

The skintone on the Kirby did come out darker than I'd intended, it was lighter while it was wet but darkened when it dried. Having said that, I do think Morgan has noticeably darker skin than Guybrush, it's just not so apparent at night/inside a Manatee. Here's a screencap from the end of Lair of the Leviathan as an example: http://pics.livejournal.com/sapphistscot/pic/0004b66w
  • edited February 2010
    Wow that's weird! She never looked quite that dark on my screen. I wonder if the facts I played with graphics on 1 played a part?

I stand corrected then, she's definitely not caucasian-white, more of a latin type. Which I think suits her better anyways.

Are you planning on making any more of these?
  • edited February 2010
    Most of the people she knew or was associated with have Spanish names, so you're probably right about her being latin.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.