I don't get the hate

So I recently joined these forums although I've been playing Telltale games for a few years and I've seen a lot of hate towards this that I don't really understand.

I played Minecraft at least once a week for 2 years before the fanbase of the game went crazy and all the servers went pay to win, admittedly I hate the game now and I can see the flaws in it. Minecraft is a very flawed game. One of the main problems I have with it is the robotic animations and the lack of a complex combat system but I digress.

Lots of the people hating this game are just hating the idea of making a story out of a game without a story and I'd hate that too if it weren't for the very clever small bits of lore throughout Minecraft. Be it Disc 11 or the mysterious Enderman there's a lot of mystery in Minecraft that can easily be crafted into a fantastic game.

A big criticism I've also been seeing is people worrying about Telltale's intentions. "Telltale only care about money now!", "Telltale are trying to get a quick buck out of 10 year old kids!". What company DOESN'T only care about money? What company doesn't try to get a quick buck out of 10 year old kids? If they make a good game, why should it matter to you? On the subject of money there appears to be people acting like Telltale only just started to care about money. They're a big company, man. They came into the game looking for money, how they get it shouldn't matter to you unless they're hurting other people, which they're not.

In conclusion, I see these complaints as coming from people who either don't know a lot about the video game industry or doubt Telltale's abilities to write a good story when they should know by now they're more than capable. Keep in mind, although this post might come off as rude or aggressive at times I don't intend that. I intend to be able to discuss with you guys's points of view.

Comments

• But I just dont get it? How can there be a story you play as pixels that dont speak...... its just bizzare and I have no problem with them trying new franchises even when its borderlands or something I'm not at all interested in

I like minecraft and play it but its a creat a world game, its like having a telltale sims.

• They're obviously gonna speak, besides, Borderlands was about shooting things and stealing their stuff, they changed that and it worked, didn't it?

But I just dont get it? How can there be a story you play as pixels that dont speak...... its just bizzare and I have no problem with them t

• AWESOMEOAWESOMEO Banned
    edited December 2014

But I just dont get it? How can there be a story you play as pixels that dont speak......

You can make a good story out of anything, you don't need a voice and amazing graphics to make a story...

Tellale knows that they're doing, just give it some thought until the damn trailer comes out, and then decide if you hate it or not.

Here's an example of a pixelated game with no human voices in it that are one of the best story-driven games out there:

Alt text

But I just dont get it? How can there be a story you play as pixels that dont speak...... its just bizzare and I have no problem with them t

• it's like having a telltale Sims.

That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea.

• A lot of the fans became fans became fans because of the walking dead. This is about as big as a departure from that as you could get, hence the hate.

It'll most likely be a kids game with humour akin to the Lego games. It'll probably be OK and TTG will drown in cash as a result, but it's never going to be popular to existing fans.

• AWESOMEOAWESOMEO Banned
    edited December 2014

Yet it can still be a good game, people forget that Telltale's original games were the humorous-point and click adventure games, and I for once am glad to see they might veer back to it.

The Fallen posted: »

A lot of the fans became fans became fans because of the walking dead. This is about as big as a departure from that as you could get, hence

• edited December 2014

I became a fan from The Walking Dead too but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy some nice Telltale humour every once in a while. Think Sam and Max humour or Monkey Island humour.

A lot of the fans became fans became fans because of the walking dead. This is about as big as a departure from that as you could get, hence

• Alt text

AWESOMEO posted: »

But I just dont get it? How can there be a story you play as pixels that dont speak...... You can make a good story out of anything,

• Wanted to post it, was too lazy to find a picture :p

• I never said it wouldn't be! Doubtless telltale will make a good product. Just not one that's aimed at the likes of me, which is what people need to come to terms with. I'm not hating the decision at all, its a enormous win for Telltale and so long as they keep making the games i do like it doesn't affect me at all.

I wouldn't hold out for a classic telltale game though. In having a comedic tone perhaps, but i'd surprised if there's any serious puzzles in the game and the target audience will be very young (which is what makes me suspect i wont enjoy the majority of the humour either).

AWESOMEO posted: »

Yet it can still be a good game, people forget that Telltale's original games were the humorous-point and click adventure games, and I for once am glad to see they might veer back to it.

• Well, I think it'll appeal to all ages, we'll see after the trailer comes out :)

I never said it wouldn't be! Doubtless telltale will make a good product. Just not one that's aimed at the likes of me, which is what people

• As long as it doesn't make my eyes bleed. Minecraft's art style has always been one of its most unappealing aspects.

• But Borderlands DID have a story.

BL2-A group of 4 (6 with DLC) vault hunters must find a vault to stop Hyperion CEO Handsome Jack, from awakening an ancient alien warrior to rid the world of 'bandits'. They meet strange and quirky characters on their journey.

And that's not counting the DLC campaigns and side missions.

Minecraft-Steve must mine and fight a dragon.

That's it! Sure you could do Herobrine and Disc 11 stuff but they have little significance on the overall plot!

Redzos posted: »

They're obviously gonna speak, besides, Borderlands was about shooting things and stealing their stuff, they changed that and it worked, didn't it?

• I hope they dont speak and its just reading so they can finish it up and get it out of here

Redzos posted: »

They're obviously gonna speak, besides, Borderlands was about shooting things and stealing their stuff, they changed that and it worked, didn't it?

• One of the thing (One of the few) that holds my interest on Minecraft is the world. It is a very huge world and from what little I know, I find it interesting.

• Thread: Im actually looking foward to seeing how this plays out

This reminds me of what happened to Guardians of the Galaxy, There was a huge uproar about the fact no one knew what it was and it was really out there in terms of story, but look at it now? It is an amazing film. Now Marvel can make what ever they want and it will most likely be successful.

If Telltale can get this right and make a great story based Minecraft game, The can make whatever they want.

• Thread: Probably my third "Stop" Thread.

Okay I get it, you don't like the idea of Telltale making a Minecraft game. Ever since they announced it, the Minecraft forum was mostly flooded with threads and posts about how stupid it was. I admit, I don't really like the idea much either, but there is way too much hate on it, and I'm always defending things that are way too hated on, so here I am. Now I'm not trying to say cease to say anything bad about it, but try to be respectful, and more calm and cool down on the repeated disappointed and sad gifs, and repeating how it has no story, and how stupid it is, how there is no lore, and no characters.

It's Telltale so I'm going to get it. We pretty much haven't seen anything about it, so I don't know why you guys are being so judgemental and hateful towards it. I agree that they could have picked up a better game, but as always it's getting a lot of hate. You can protest, and not buy it, but could you just keep it down a bit? Probably 3/4 of the threads here are probably against it. In my opinion I see a lot of potential, but they could have done so much better. Thanks, and sorry if I offended anybody.

• many like me are disappointed and hateful towards it because Minecraft doesn't have any potential in the story department
    hell its a game about breaking and placing blocks

it just feels like a joke that Telltale is working on something like this after all the awesome games lately (with GOT and TFB still on going)
    this is just a major step backwards

• What else will be here?

We're just stating our opinions, we can do that.

• I wish this kind of stuff could stop Raging, but it won't, unless the series turns out to be good, then it might shut people up, but for now, we'll have to deal with people judging things without the full story. I'm used to that kind of treatment, and we'll get through it.

• There's nothing else to talk about...

We won't get anything for a while.

I know, just saying it's getting a bit excessive, at a point where it's the only thing being talked about around here.

• I think there's so much hate threads that they're deleting and merging them because mine have mysteriously vanshied lol

• We pretty much haven't seen anything about it, so I don't know why you guys are being so judgemental and hateful towards it

Not bad, not bad at all Raging.

• they're deleting and merging them because mine have mysteriously vanshied

Not going to lie...This was funny.

Mooreo posted: »

I think there's so much hate threads that they're deleting and merging them because mine have mysteriously vanshied lol

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator
    edited December 2014

It was probably put in with GuiltyKing's "...Really, Telltale? Really...?" thread, as it does have nineteen pages and was the first hate thread created.

Mooreo posted: »

I think there's so much hate threads that they're deleting and merging them because mine have mysteriously vanshied lol

• they're deleting and merging them because mine have mysteriously vanshied

I know, just saying it's getting a bit excessive, at a point where it's the only thing being talked about around here.

• I know, just saying it's getting a bit excessive, at a point where it's the only thing being talked about around here.

What else will be here? We're just stating our opinions, we can do that.

• edited December 2014

Waste of time....

better?

Green613 posted: »

We pretty much haven't seen anything about it, so I don't know why you guys are being so judgemental and hateful towards it Not bad, not bad at all Raging.

• Nah it seems to have gone into a "my reaction when it was announced" one

dojo32161 posted: »

It was probably put in with GuiltyKing's "...Really, Telltale? Really...?" thread, as it does have nineteen pages and was the first hate thread created.

• There's nothing else to talk about...

We won't get anything for a while.

I know you're upset about this and saying we shouldn't judge because it isn't out yet but we're judging the idea. Honestly you gotta deal with it...You want a good discussion about something else, make it.

• ^^^

• You are officially my unpopular opinion bro.

I hope it's good, to prove all those people wrong :P. But I mean it's Telltale, so it's going to be good for me. And that's honestly all I need to know. If it's made by Telltale I'll buy it.

I wish this kind of stuff could stop Raging, but it won't, unless the series turns out to be good, then it might shut people up, but for now

• That's really childish of you.

J-Master posted: »

Waste of time.... better?

• Yeah I think I heard you for the millionth time on that other thread bud, but keep it up with this spam nonsense of yours, you're acting completely childish, more so than the ones you fear that come to this forum.

• It's not childish, it's stating this is a waste of time when resources could be put into the already started series...It's not lying, just because it doesn't match your opinion doesn't make it's childish.

That's really childish of you.

• This is an example. :P

• There are probably a lot of things to talk about, it's just the ridiculous idea of Minecraft has blown everyone's minds to the brink of getting pissed at Telltale. Like I said, I have a really bad imagination, I didn't even make up this username, so I'm not good at making threads, I just seem to connect to threads like these because I like to keep peace.

There's nothing else to talk about... We won't get anything for a while. I know you're upset about this and saying we shouldn't judge

• No, it's the fact that he replied to Green, who was also stating an opinion of his own, essentially disrespecting it. Especially when there was no reason for him to reply, when he could have said it on his own comment.

It's not childish, it's stating this is a waste of time when resources could be put into the already started series...It's not lying, just because it doesn't match your opinion doesn't make it's childish.

• edited December 2014

Look, a Telltale Minecraft game sounds interesting, I don't know how it will play, but the thing is...the entire idea just sounds REALLY lame to me, and I don't think Minecraft is worth anything to Telltale, I really think they're better than anything Minecraft has, and others and I can't help but feel like Telltale are wasting their time on something that doesn't need a story, it just feels like a complete waste for them and for the fans in general.

This is an example. :P

• When you come up with a good discussion other than this idea sucks then make it...

I know you like to keep peace but it's opinions, people don't need to stop complaining because it's trying to get rid of an entire group of people and opinions. That's wrong, let it die out on it's own if it ever does. Honestly I've been hating on it and I have reasons to, people have passive aggressively been insulting me because of it. There's no good side in this, if I see this not going horribly then I'll stop posting keeping it to myself that I still think it sucks.

There are probably a lot of things to talk about, it's just the ridiculous idea of Minecraft has blown everyone's minds to the brink of gett

Sign in to comment in this discussion.