I don't get the hate

Comments

• People on Youtube have been doing it for years!

They've been playing a sandbox game where they can build anything. This isn't that. Somethimg being popular does not means it's good. Look at CoD: Ghosts for example.

Minecraft is a wonderful universe to tell stories in......Are people worried this is going to break "Minecraft canon?" That's ridiculous! Minecraft is whatever people want it to be. What is there to break?

The thing about Minecraft is that since people aren't bound by any story, they can tell their own. Having a story mode can eliminate people's imaginations by having something official bind them down.

• While Minecraft doesn't have a pre-established universe for Telltale to utilize, it provides them with a blank slate to create whatever they want. That's probably why I'm not filled with anticipation imagining the possibilities of a story in a world I'm already familiar with while also bing excited for Telltale to be really creative and surprise me.

Besides, The Lego Movie had no story or lore to base itself off of and turned out great. Enough meta humor and memorable characters and this could actually be great.

• Hey man, I totally agree with you 100%.
    People hating on the game are getting on my nerves, the fact that this is TELLTALE, it's crazy, yeah they'd be doing this for money but that's exactly what they have been doing for years... eg Back to the Future, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Borderlands and now Minecraft. It's totally do-able, Minecraft is a game that has a limited story and TellTale has proved themselves far too many times that they can create amazing stories for people to be getting mad at them!

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited December 2014

@NiC0_16 wrote:
    Besides, The Lego Movie had no story or lore to base itself off of and turned out great. Enough meta humor and memorable characters and this could actually be great.

The potential is definitely there. Telltale definitely has shown that they're good at coming up with new memorable characters, plus Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People has shown that Telltale can handle meta humor really well.

NiC0_16 posted: »

While Minecraft doesn't have a pre-established universe for Telltale to utilize, it provides them with a blank slate to create whatever they

• If there's one thing I hate it is that people just MINDLESS jump on the hate bandwagon without first thinking about it.

• It's not like this is being forced on us. It's just an interpretation by Telltale.

People on Youtube have been doing it for years! They've been playing a sandbox game where they can build anything. This isn't that.

• Ugh read the title and felt immediately repulsed by the childishness. I can name 20 things off the top of my head that have a better story element and potential than anything in Minecraft

• edited December 2014

'' I '' for myself i am not a hater when i disprove of this.

1) WHY do i buy a 20$ something EPISODIC game about minecraft when I CAN MOD with millions of free mods out there and make it a story? i am not stupid. i wont wait a full year for an episodic minecraft game when i can play it for hours, the way i like to, and for free. if you buy the original game then modding it the way you want.

2) Minecraft has no depth beside its ability to attract young people to pay for it. ''money''

3) DONT assume haters are just people who just hate and dont unerstand.. for me i have a valid point to WHY this is nothing but a money or a business. i dont just bash things on the internet, i have a point and if you dont see the things i just said true, then its OK. its not meant for everyone to see things the way others do. so please dont call us haters when we have valid point for our ''disagreement'' on this telltale project because its a blunt money business. :)

thanks and have a good day :)

• I seriously don't know why it's getting dislikes, the game is fun and addictive but people just hate it, I used to hate just because I thought it was just some pixel block game, now I just somewhat like it.

• 1) I don't know why you would buy a story version of MineCraft when you can just play the game yourself. I'd still buy it since I like TellTaleGames and have enjoyed each game they've made. It's your choice whether to buy it or not.

2) MineCraft does have depth, people of all ages and genders play it, if they just wanted money they could've made it a subscription game and allot of people make money themselves just for making servers on MineCraft.

3) That's kind of what haters are, people who just hate and don't have any understanding of what they are hating... even if it is just for money so what? Allot of companies do the same, there are very few companies I can list down that actually pay more attention on the players than on the money making side of things. :3

Mercyva posted: »

'' I '' for myself i am not a hater when i disprove of this. 1) WHY do i buy a 20$ something EPISODIC game about minecraft when I CAN MOD

• edited December 2014

first read what i said then talk. ok? i didnt say i hate minecraft, i said i hate that TELLTALE chose to make minecraft. minecraft is about building and exploring and its addictive, BUT there is no lore or depth to it. you build and survive and thats it. you can mod it the way you like, so why would i wait months just to play a minecraft? thats stupid. and YES it is a choice, which i wont buy. if you like it thats fine. i wasnt talking to you or anyone, i was talking about the person who made the thread, so your opinion is not valid to me, i wasnt talking to you, i only comented because he says ''haters'' we are not haters. we have our valid points on this telltale project to do minecraft! not about mojang minecraft. so please read before you rage. calm down.

prink34320 posted: »

I seriously don't know why it's getting dislikes, the game is fun and addictive but people just hate it, I used to hate just because I thought it was just some pixel block game, now I just somewhat like it.

• Who said there had to be lore or depth for TellTale to make it? They've already said they aren't going to make some office MineCraft lore. There is also depth in it, you don't just build and survive, you can do that but you won't be experiencing the entire game, you can go on adventures, find hidden lands like MooShroom Island, you can train pets, you can create a farm, you can build up a village into a kingdom, you can visit the Nether, you can brew potions, you can combat with friends, you can create mini-games, you can create a whole underground network just for mining, you can garden, you can create items that require specific ingredients and require perfect positioning on the crafting grid, you can fight enemies and bosses, you can role-play, you can customize your own character, you can use mods, you can practice combat, you can find temples in both land and sea that have special treasures, you can find more villages, you can travel to all types of land and collect things specifically available in those lands alone while having to survive and consistently build new homes, you can mine and you can craft, it's not all about building and exploring. BTW sorry if I sounded like I was raging cause I wasn't. Ok, you have your valid points but I'd actually like to see you use them.

first read what i said then talk. ok? i didnt say i hate minecraft, i said i hate that TELLTALE chose to make minecraft. minecraft is about

• their voices and speaking be like stephen hawking....

But I just dont get it? How can there be a story you play as pixels that dont speak...... its just bizzare and I have no problem with them t

• did you even read what i said? OMG! i gave my point twice already!!!!

people like you make me dont wanna come to this forum. so yeah, i wont argue, but i wont come here anymore, people like you who respond before even reading what i actually said! and it even wasnt for you to comment on!!!
    i am not interested, k bye. if you love telltale minecraft then buy it when it comes out ok? dont force your opinions on me.

Who said there had to be lore or depth for TellTale to make it? They've already said they aren't going to make some office MineCraft lore. T

• edited December 2014

I did read what you typed. You didn't exactly make a justified point, all you said was MineCraft is only about building and exploring and has no lore or depth which is false in terms of depth, true in terms of lore. Sorry if my comment wants you to stay away from the forums, there are many comments that do the same to other people. I actually did read your comment -.- also commenting on a thread means that anyone is allowed to comment to your own comment that's kind of one of the main things people do on forums, comment to one another's comment. I can't love something I haven't experienced yet and I'm not forcing my opinions on you, I'm saying that you're wrong about MineCraft just being some build and walk around game but yeah, I will buy it and I know that I'll most likely enjoy it. Good day to you sir or madam and FYI you replied to my comment that wasn't directed at you -.-

did you even read what i said? OMG! i gave my point twice already!!!! people like you make me dont wanna come to this forum. so yeah, i w

• I think Minecraft has a very huge and interesting setting. There are a lot of interesting location that I want to explore. Regarding the story, I am interested to see what Telltale is gonna make. Unlike with Tales From The Borderlands, I am gonna look at Minecraft: Story Mode with an open mind.

• Yeah, that's how I'm approaching this game! Open mind! There's lots of possibilities.

Reading older posts on the Tell Tale forums, it appears there was a lot of doubt about The Walking Dead. . . and that turned out great
    . . . Then there was a lot of doubt about doing a Borderlands Game. . . . and that turned out great too. . .

. . . I'm thinking Telltale is probably going to make another great game!

I think Minecraft has a very huge and interesting setting. There are a lot of interesting location that I want to explore. Regarding the sto

• edited December 2014

It appears prink34320 read what you said. Up above he addressed your three points, and below he addresses your points again, particularly about Minecraft indeed having depth - And hence, why a creative team could probably make a good game.

That said, I think a lot of people are 'hatin' because they're having difficulty understanding how a good game can be made out of the Minecraft franchise, and I'll admit, I'm curious how Telltale is going to handle it. But for all the people out there who are upset about the idea of a Minecraft Story mode, I gotta say, give Telltale a chance. They have a great track record, and there's so much depth to draw upon in the Minecraft Universe to make an interesting game. It'll be unlike anything we've seen from them before - and I'm looking forward to it!

Also, I suppose I ought to address the 'hater comment' -- this seems to be attracting more attention than I had intended and de-railing the actual topic of the discussion. To be clear, I don't think people who don't like the concept of a Minecraft Storymode are irrational hate-mongers with no valid points. Albeit, I personally have yet to see anyone against the game present an argument which validates why the game wont be good. But then. . . it's kinda hard to make a solid argument against a game that doesn't exist yet.

On the bright-side, by people expressing their concerns, Telltale has the chance to review what the community is worried about, and design the game with this in mind. So I suppose there's a silver lining here.

did you even read what i said? OMG! i gave my point twice already!!!! people like you make me dont wanna come to this forum. so yeah, i w

• Walking Dead I can understand, but Game of Thrones? Like Jennifer said, there's an uproar if it's outside Telltales current norm, but Game of Thrones is easily within Telltale's norm.

People were even upset about Game of Thrones too.

• Some Walking Dead fans felt betrayed that Telltale was "only" working on "big licenses" while ignoring how Walking Dead was also a big franchise in the same way that Game of Thrones was.

Walking Dead I can understand, but Game of Thrones? Like Jennifer said, there's an uproar if it's outside Telltales current norm, but Game of Thrones is easily within Telltale's norm.

• Was there this kind of uproar of Back to the Future? Because BTTF was certainly a big license at the time with plenty of money involved, so would any fans be upset about that either?

Some Walking Dead fans felt betrayed that Telltale was "only" working on "big licenses" while ignoring how Walking Dead was also a big franchise in the same way that Game of Thrones was.

• Back to the Future was before Telltale switched from Puzzle games to cinematic Games. Nobody really expected any change from the puzzle gameplay and Telltale was still sort of small at that point, so people were mostly pleasantly surprised.

Granted, I only lurked at that point and was not a contributing member, but I think that was the gist of how people felt.

Was there this kind of uproar of Back to the Future? Because BTTF was certainly a big license at the time with plenty of money involved, so would any fans be upset about that either?

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited December 2014

xboxplayer_12 wrote:
    Was there this kind of uproar of Back to the Future? Because BTTF was certainly a big license at the time with plenty of money involved, so would any fans be upset about that either?

Yeah, there was definitely some complaining when the NBC Universal license was announced about Telltale "selling out" and just going after the big licenses "to make a quick buck". People have always resisted change around here without waiting to see what the final product will be. Jumping to conclusions is a Telltale forum tradition.

Jump to conclusions

• What's the moot one? This looks like a pretty fun games x3

Jennifer posted: »

xboxplayer_12 wrote: Was there this kind of uproar of Back to the Future? Because BTTF was certainly a big license at the time with plent

• Personally I was annoyed because I really want Walking dead Season 3 and Wolf Among Us season 2 to be worked on and released. I see Minecraft as another blockage to me getting that. Now Tales From the Borderlands and Game of Thrones are a different matter because one is based off an established game series and the other being from the TV series both of which I like. Minecraft however, I don't like at all so that's why I'm annoyed. I can understand people's frustration being on the fact that TellTale are appealing to the 10yr old kids market because tbh when I was in school, all you saw was the 10yr olds hogging all the library PC's playing on Minecraft!

• It's still minecraft. Minecraft is enough to fucking put anyone off.

Ben4Life posted: »

If there's one thing I hate it is that people just MINDLESS jump on the hate bandwagon without first thinking about it.

• You don't get the hate? It's like putting out a "Solitaire: Story Mode" game.

Trust the ace card?

A. Hell no. Aces are too damn wild.

B. Sure, you seem alright, Ace.

• Why exactly do people hate MineCraft? The only argument I see people use against it is graphics and how supposedly 'basic' it is.

Talimancer posted: »

It's still minecraft. Minecraft is enough to fucking put anyone off.

• I really don't see a similarity to making a story for cards and making a story for an open world game with numerous things to do than just shuffle, draw, pick or place.

Kiln223 posted: »

You don't get the hate? It's like putting out a "Solitaire: Story Mode" game. Trust the ace card? A. Hell no. Aces are too damn wild. B. Sure, you seem alright, Ace.

• edited January 2015

In picking up ever new franchises, Telltale can never be sure about that.

TWD s1 had a budget of 300,000 and sold over 24 million copies if you make a game that cheap with franchises with millions of fans I will guarantee you will make massive profit even if it flops

TLOU won many awards GOTY and only sold over one million copies and imagine that budget compared to telltale

Also take into consideration they sell on most platforms the exact same game and quality even at higher price depending on console in my country surely a ps4 version deserves a better version then a mobile version etc.

AC has a massive budget and it didn't start off using a brand name with millions of fans attached to it so that's a true risk.

Apart from graphics can anyone say telltale made a better or improved game then TWD S1 so far they just taking away key elements and shortening episodes

Every game it's turning into less of a game and more like a movie with limited choice, rarely any gameplay and nearly all cut scenes if you ever played heavy rain and TWD s1 that's how it should be done they should of kicked on from there TWD s1 and improved even more.

I'm going off topic but I'm just saying with such a small budget and using franchises with millions of fans bearing in mind they sell the same quality game across all platforms anytime I hear the word risk with these brands names is laughable with the profits they make they should concentrate on improving all areas of their games to a massive standards not using the exact same formulaic routine for every game.

Plus get brands gamers actually want to play without going for massive fanbases like this without considering suitability for profit wil only end in tears

Vainamoinen posted: »

Ubisoft also made valiant hearts which was great but a sequel to it, will it come? Valiant Hearts was a memento of World War I havin

• It's only for certain people. I can tell you I bought it and played it for a few weeks, quickly got bored, and then stopped playing it. I find it is quite dull and repetitive in terms of gameplay. Love the aesthetic, like a Lego videogame without the licensing.

Breaking blocks for X amount of hours just to build up a castle or a cave or something gets old quick though, and unless you have a few buds to play with, its just empty and void of replay value.

I don't hate it, it's just a bore to play.

Why exactly do people hate MineCraft? The only argument I see people use against it is graphics and how supposedly 'basic' it is.

• So just to clarify. Am I the only one who thinks this looks ugly? I'm not crazy, right?

Alt text

• No, you aren't. But at the same time Telltale has said that Story Mode won't look like the main Minecraft game as far the graphics go.

Baldex posted: »

So just to clarify. Am I the only one who thinks this looks ugly? I'm not crazy, right?

• Hey, did you know that Telltale actually did make a card game?

And that it was really great?

Kiln223 posted: »

You don't get the hate? It's like putting out a "Solitaire: Story Mode" game. Trust the ace card? A. Hell no. Aces are too damn wild. B. Sure, you seem alright, Ace.

• Maybe because of it's fan base? Since that's what I always see people complaining about.

Why exactly do people hate MineCraft? The only argument I see people use against it is graphics and how supposedly 'basic' it is.

• Minecraft isn't a bore to play if you know where to go. Jump on a multiplayer server and you'll have countless hours of fun! It's not all about building, you can mod the game etc. resulting in a way funner experience.
    I was like you and thought the game was only about finding resources and building crap until I found out there's a shit ton of servers out there :o

It's only for certain people. I can tell you I bought it and played it for a few weeks, quickly got bored, and then stopped playing it. I fi

• I really don't understand how a fan base speaks for a game. The fan base only speaks for the fan base, you can't really judge a game by someone who plays it, you have to play it yourself and give it a chance. I know for a fact that I can convince myself that any game is crappy and boring and make myself quit it but if I open my vision I understand how good a game it can be, just saying that playing a game doesn't necessarily mean you will get a proper perspective on it, some people tell themselves they hate the game and make themselves believe that and try to justify that and vice versa. Honestly if games are being judged by their fan base then I'd say allot of games aren't very good.

iHeartTWD posted: »

Maybe because of it's fan base? Since that's what I always see people complaining about.

• My favourite is The Hunger Games servers, those are really fun :3

Marsh16194 posted: »

Minecraft isn't a bore to play if you know where to go. Jump on a multiplayer server and you'll have countless hours of fun! It's not all a

Sign in to comment in this discussion.