I don't get the hate

Comments

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited December 2014

There was an uproar over The Walking Dead, actually.

Whenever Telltale announces something outside of their current norm, people always hate threads about the announcement. There was an uproar over The Walking Dead, there was an uproar over The Wolf Among Us, and there was an uproar (just about as big as this one) for Tales from the Borderlands. The hate threads died down when the game came out, so it will do so here too if the game's story ends up being as good as the ones in those series.

Bokor posted: »

I wonder what the uproar was when the developers of Sam & Max and Monkey Island announced that they were going to take on an ultra-violent drama series...

• I 100% agree with Always Sometimes Monsters being an outstanding game, but I don't see minecraft work in the telltale formula.

AWESOMEO posted: »

But I just dont get it? How can there be a story you play as pixels that dont speak...... You can make a good story out of anything,

• I respect that, but let's see, maybe they'll surprise us for good.

LineLiar posted: »

I 100% agree with Always Sometimes Monsters being an outstanding game, but I don't see minecraft work in the telltale formula.

• I myself find it very strange from Telltale to choose this genre. But I am intrigued in how they'll pull this off. I do see several ways they can do this, even though I'm not completely knowledgeable of the universe. And the thing is, yes the product is a cash cow, but so was The Walking Dead. Two very different yet popular universes in their own right. And many forgets the goal of every company is to earn money to keep itself going and/or expand. This might make better production on future projects. I have faith in Telltale despite some mishaps in the past.

And for the record, I find it "interesting" how part of the forums here complains so much about the game and of it's fanbase for how bad it is. But I think the forums here just proved to me some here are just as, if not, more childish than the minecraft fanbase that everyone fears so much. So much complaining for selfish reasons. It's kinda sad, honestly... and it's hard not to laugh...

Alt text

Alt text

• edited December 2014

Well said. Would add more, but I've said what I would say in response multiple times.

One thing, however, I'm not sure this complaining is really down to selfishness. Some surely is, but I think a fair amount is a result of being hurt/disappointed as people expected TWAU season 2, so they're venting.

It doesn't excuse the behavior, but I can at least understand it. At least this is what I tell myself anyway after thinking about what's occurred.

I myself find it very strange from Telltale to choose this genre. But I am intrigued in how they'll pull this off. I do see several ways the

• edited December 2014

I'm not sure this complaining is really down to selfishness. Some surely is, but I think a fair amount is a result of being hurt/disappointed as people expected TWAU season 2.

Eh, I dunno. It's kinda hard to tell with everything in a shitstorm. But Stauffer seems really pissed off at the forums with that "F U" tweet. He made an announcement of something interesting and many just took a dump on it. It's like handing a Christmas gift with a good thought and the receiver just throws it in the trash in front of you. I'm sure anyone would feel hurt after that.

Rob_K posted: »

Well said. Would add more, but I've said what I would say in response multiple times. One thing, however, I'm not sure this complaining i

• edited December 2014

Definitely no disagreement there and I don't blame him. Honestly, this is one reason I don't want to ever make it (as in sell a lot of stories). Announce something and all you get are complaints.

I'd be much more content, should it come to it, with just making enough money to live off.

Despite the money your chosen profession may make as an artist, it makes you wonder if it's worth all this honestly.

Again, while I hope this doesn't apply to the majority of people, what can really sting someone in a creative profession too is the feeling they have to do what others want as well, like what they don't want to do themselves don't matter. Surely, there's a financial incentive to develop Minecraft, but I'm honestly convinced that Telltale wouldn't be doing it if they genuinely weren't interested in the product from a creative standpoint.

I'm not sure this complaining is really down to selfishness. Some surely is, but I think a fair amount is a result of being hurt/disappointe

• I couldn't find any tweet like that. Did he delete it or am I just blind?

I'm not sure this complaining is really down to selfishness. Some surely is, but I think a fair amount is a result of being hurt/disappointe

• I found it somewhere in the forums here. It's probably in the "Really? Telltale? Really?" Thread.

mosfet posted: »

I couldn't find any tweet like that. Did he delete it or am I just blind?

• Not to Green...But ot everyone else...This situation has been resolved through PM and we are all friends, I was having a mental breakdown and I apologize. Just in case people think i'm just a dick.

Green613 posted: »

and trying to shut us up? I'm shutting people up? Are you serious Golden? People like you and J-Master are literally going into ever

• I think I found what oyu were talking about...page 9 of that thread?

It wasn't a tweet it was someone saying "The last tweet brought to you by Telltale and he put sesame street pictures saying the letter F and U."

I found it somewhere in the forums here. It's probably in the "Really? Telltale? Really?" Thread.

• I don't HATE it, i just think they should've invested in getting other episodes of the games that are already out.

• edited December 2014

Thread: I dont get the hate

Yes minecraft is more about blocks and creativity but for telltale it will attract alot of people who play minecraft and will make money for them. I dont think its the best idea but we havent even seen what its gonna be like yet. If you dont like the concept dont play it, i will probably play it cus i like telltale games and they havent done one bad job so far for me but id probably watch the first 15 minuites on youtube to see if its worth my money (sorry about grammer)

• Well every time they made a game it was a big risk, I remember people hating on The Walking Dead and then The Wolf Among US, also Tales form the Borderlands and Game of Thrones, many people thought the same as the people who think making MineCraft with a story is bad but overall it will most likely get more of the MC players to try out the game and end up playing the other games, the only downside to a landslide of MC fans joining the forums is well... I think you can guess :x

I hope TellTaleGames can pull it off but in the end it really all depends on the consumers' opinions and choice on whether or not to buy the game.

I get what you're trying to say OP, but I think peoples...annoyance, about this is justified. This just came out of nowhere and is just a ve

• Okay, reason of MY personal hate. I hate the fact that we will play a game that makes you build blocks. I hate the fanbase of minecraft which is 6-12 year old people. A story about making block homes, come on! I love telltale and all that but some people are so blind that they cant see the real picture... Can it be good? yes. But the main concern must be the direction TTG is headed. They are doing this absolutely for the money. That will never end well. If you dont believe me, check out assains creed 2342323534 when it comes out. They'll milk it as long as they get paid. I expect a lot of mine craft the game seasons... Start of a nightmare.

• Jennifer posted: »

There was an uproar over The Walking Dead, actually. Whenever Telltale announces something outside of their current norm, people always h

• VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2014

So Ubisoft is proven to be in it for the money because they're making the two billionth installment of a single franchise,
    and Telltale is proven to be in for the money because they're doing something new?

I find that point extremely hard to argue.

ata95 posted: »

Okay, reason of MY personal hate. I hate the fact that we will play a game that makes you build blocks. I hate the fanbase of minecraft whic

• Exactly. Since Minecraft doesn't have a story, Telltale has more freedom with their game.

Redzos posted: »

Minecraft's lack of a plot is exactly why they SHOULD be doing this. They're adding more to it.

• Mainstream always gets you more cash. They could do TWAU s2 or something else but look up and probably one of the most played game is Minecraft. If you are after the titles that are mainstream your goal is pretty much clear. Minecraft is a pixel game for little children that don't need a story. Waste of time, waste of effort. It will gain them a load of cash though, so yeah, this is the new ubisoft thing. Ubisoft also made valiant hearts which was great but a sequel to it, will it come? Don't think so, they are too busy with assasin's creed 100 and Watchdogs 2 probably. Soon, ttg also will be that company that makes the minecraft story games.Expect sequels...

Vainamoinen posted: »

So Ubisoft is proven to be in it for the money because they're making the two billionth installment of a single franchise, and Telltale is

• VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2014

Ubisoft also made valiant hearts which was great but a sequel to it, will it come?

Valiant Hearts was a memento of World War I having started one hundred years prior to the release of the game. If you want a "sequel", there actually was one in history, look out for 2037 for the Ubisoft adaptation! Seems like we have another anniversary coming up. As to Ubisoft's smaller ventures in general, they have an entire game engine for this branch. It's the UbiArt engine, and I doubt they'll retire it immediately. It has yielded Child of Light last year, will probably go on to see more Rayman and, if rumors are to be believed, might even be the engine for the next, entirely 2D, Prince of Persia. To me it absolutely seems as if Ubisoft has big plans for their smaller games.

But yes of course, they are producing one Assassin's Creed sequel after another because they know they will sell. In picking up ever new franchises, Telltale can never be sure about that. And that particularly applies to franchises that are usually not following many (Minecraft) or particularly good (Walking Dead) storytelling principles.

Minecraft has a huge fan base, that is true. But, no, that doesn't guarantee huge sales, it really does not.

As to Telltale becoming a Minecraft-game-exclusive video game developer, I find that idea to be quite, quite ludicrous.

First of all, we would only recognise that in about three years, because there are two Seasons currently running which will probably finish mid next year.

Secondly, I guarantee you that we will have yet another entirely new franchise announced in 2015, possibly even two or three, which would immediately rule out your projection.

Thirdly, cooperation between Telltale and franchise holders is always rather limited, temporally. The King's Quest proceedings should have taught people a lesson in that respect, that's why I'm a bit surprised by that idea.

Fourth point, franchises have a life cycle. Telltale naturally seizes on the licenses that are somewhat popular at the moment, which is common as well as business sense. The Walking Dead won't be popular forever and will cease to exist when no one buys the comics any more. Fables is set to be cancelled next year; interest will gradually decline with not much time left for Telltale to shoehorn in another Season. Minecraft has only been around for three years, and I really doubt that its popularity will be steady for ten years (like e.g. in the case of World of Warcraft). Telltale CAN NOT become the "Minecraft story games" developer because that would ACTUALLY kill them.

Franchise diversification has always been Telltale's way of breathing new life into what they do. That is not about to change.

Mainstream always gets you more cash. They could do TWAU s2 or something else but look up and probably one of the most played game is Minecr

• Mainstream always gets you more cash. They could do TWAU s2 or something else but look up and probably one of the most played game is Minecraft. If you are after the titles that are mainstream your goal is pretty much clear.

As if TWD, GoT and Borderlands aren't all considered mainstream. :P

Mainstream always gets you more cash. They could do TWAU s2 or something else but look up and probably one of the most played game is Minecr

• Personally I would easily prefer a TWAU S2 to this but I'm not gonna judge it till I get more info or play it, I think some people are being too critical too soon but hopefully all the "Early hate" will die down sooner or later.

• TalimancerTalimancer Banned
    edited December 2014

Yeah but those characters do speak, through text where minecraft doesn't have that

But I just dont get it? How can there be a story you play as pixels that dont speak...... You can make a good story out of anything,

• They'll probably have VA's and actually talk, it's not going to be just like the game, clearly they will veer a little.

Talimancer posted: »

Yeah but those characters do speak, through text where minecraft doesn't have that

• That's not the point I was making, there is dialogue in those RPG maker games making a narrative. Minecraft is just objectives. If they are making a game out of nothing. Why not just make an original IP. Why, because monies. Telltale is a pretty unstable business really

They'll probably have VA's and actually talk, it's not going to be just like the game, clearly they will veer a little.

• Well, you may be right, but I still think it can be a good game :)

Talimancer posted: »

That's not the point I was making, there is dialogue in those RPG maker games making a narrative. Minecraft is just objectives. If they are

• Thread: I Guess "Haters are Gonna Hate". . . but. . .

What's wrong with a Minecraft game? Minecraft is a wonderful universe to tell stories in. People on Youtube have been doing it for years! And Telltale Games have certainly proven they are master storytellers. . .so. . . I am looking very forward to this game!

Are people worried this is going to break "Minecraft canon?" That's ridiculous! Minecraft is whatever people want it to be. What is there to break?

I can definitely see how a "bad Minecraft game" could be made. . . But anything can be done well, or done poorly. There were a lot of skeptics for the Lego Movie, and that turned out perfectly fine. . . A game set in the Minecraft Universe that obeys Minecraft's quirky laws and rules sounds like a lot of fun, and I can definitely see Telltale Games doing a good job of it!

• I agree with everything you said, Minecraft doesn't exactly have a canon- meaning Telltale has tons of freedom for this game to do whatever they want with it unlike TWD, TWAU, TFTB, and GOT where there are limits.

• Are people worried this is going to break "Minecraft canon?"

No one has said that...

• Actually a few people have said that, though that mostly comes from the Minecraft fans who are skeptics.

Are people worried this is going to break "Minecraft canon?" No one has said that...

• Minecraft technically does have a canon, it has some rules that are set in stone. These skeptics are few and far between.

Seriously? You know what I was about to get into a whole thing about how Minecraft has no canon but...I'm going to just, go to a different section as I have promised the Mods.

• Seriously?

You know what I was about to get into a whole thing about how Minecraft has no canon but...I'm going to just, go to a different section as I have promised the Mods.

dojo32161 posted: »

Actually a few people have said that, though that mostly comes from the Minecraft fans who are skeptics.

• edited December 2014

That's not canon, that's lore.

Since your comment disappeared, by seriously I'm going to go now, no point in responding.

dojo32161 posted: »

Actually a few people have said that, though that mostly comes from the Minecraft fans who are skeptics.

• edited December 2014

"No one has said that..."

Good! Because that would be just silly. :)

But it looks like there's a lot of confusion about "how can you tell a Minecraft story, they're just pixels that stack blocks?"

And to that I say, "Whatever happened to imagination?!?" Frankly, I see unlimited potential for story telling in Minecraft. You can cover everything from comedic, to dramatic, to even horrific if you had the mind for it. I guess I really just don't understand what's not to like. I suppose one could fear that "Telltale might not do a good job," but I hardly see how that's a worry exclusive to the Minecraft franchise.

To be fair, Minecraft in a much-beloved game by a lot of people. So some concern is merited -- but there just seems like so much doubt here, I can hardly believe it.

Are people worried this is going to break "Minecraft canon?" No one has said that...

• Well, I still take enjoyment in doing this: You're new, welcome.

Anyway i'll make my opinion quick since I've made a promise to the mods to stay away from this section as I cause trouble on this section. I still think that Telltale could've made a new IP and not taken the whole Minecraft idea...Yes I realize the potential but Minecraft is a game where YOU make your own story. It's kind of like Telltale is doing what others have done for a long time just in a different style. This won't explain anything in the Minecraft world so to me it's kind of pointless. I won't be buying it but I leave you all to enjoy it.

Eidrog posted: »

"No one has said that..." Good! Because that would be just silly. But it looks like there's a lot of confusion about "how can yo

• Yes, I am very new to the forum, so I'm not very familiar with the community -- But I've played several Telltale games, and I'm very familiar with their work.

I see your concerns. . . and I do agree that a new IP would be fantastic. But I think it's still too early to call the game pointless. I mean, as long as it provides good entertainment it can be very worth while.

What will determine whether I play this game or not will be how well it's made. While I am defending Telltale Games in these posts, I suppose it's worth mentioning I'm not the type to buy a game just because it was made by a certain developer. The game still actually has to be good!

But, to their credit, Telltale Games have developed several great games. So I am looking very forward to what they do with Minecraft!

That's my opinion. But we can always agree to disagree, right? :)

• Writing off people who dislike the concept as "haters" is pretty ignorant.

• Writing off people who dislike the concept as "haters" is pretty ignorant.

So is not giving Telltale Games the benefit of the doubt. . . but. . .

I do apologise for calling people who dislike the concept "haters."

Still, it got you reading, didn't it? :)

Piggs posted: »

Writing off people who dislike the concept as "haters" is pretty ignorant.

• You can change the title.

Writing off people who dislike the concept as "haters" is pretty ignorant. So is not giving Telltale Games the benefit of the doubt.

• Just so you know you can use the reply button to talk, you don't have to click "Add Comment" (I'm assuming you're replying to GoldenPaladin).

Yes, I am very new to the forum, so I'm not very familiar with the community -- But I've played several Telltale games, and I'm very familia

Sign in to comment in this discussion.