Silicon County: An Interactive Story (Ongoing)

Comments

• Well, since then I've planned a second act. So yeah. It's going to last longer than I previously thought.

Lord_EAA posted: »

You said i wouldn't be long. Has that changed?

• Cool :)

NoHopeLeft posted: »

Well, since then I've planned a second act. So yeah. It's going to last longer than I previously thought.

• I FINALLY finished reading Silicon (the currently incomplete version) and i have to say its amazing. Im exited to see it continue :)

• ............Nohope i'm really REALLY sorry to be 'that guy' but if i don't ask someone else will (TBH honest i don't want to ask since it makes me a hypocrite due to my own story's current hibernating state).............It's been weeks since you posted news..........I'm sorry :'(

• Don't feel bad. It's been nearly a month since the last part, I know. To be honest, though, I don't know how or where to move the story. It's sort of stuck because I haven't given it enough thought recently. There are some things I want to convey and to do that I need to mull over what I have planned, which I haven't been doing.

But, worry not, I'll try to work on it something Silicon-related very soon. Hopefully, during the time between now and the next part, I can also find ways to include some of the many characters that were submitted, because if you ask me, it's been focused on too few characters so far. Hopefully some good will come of this break :D

............Nohope i'm really REALLY sorry to be 'that guy' but if i don't ask someone else will (TBH honest i don't want to ask since it ma

• edited November 2015

Yeah i was going to wait until you asked for criticism, but the story has been focused a lot on a small cast. It didn't bother me too much. But well, for example we never got to see Holly again and she was interesting. I kind of kept hoping she would pop up again. Likewise i felt like Melissa had the fewest lines out of the teens. Most of her development was just seen from Sam's view which made me curious about if she was really like that. I just keep feeling like there's so much story here that we haven't seen yet.

Which is good since it keeps me craving more of this fantastic story, but bad since i always have had a deep fear of 'tissue characters' (You use them once and never again.) appearing in good stories. Which is part of the reason i give names and personalities to everyone in Multiverse Prime (Why even the most minor characters in that story will continue to appear in different ways.). And this is an AMAZING story which is why i fear it so much. I'm always wondering about those characters we don't learn too much about. And i just love looking at the 'Waiting to introduce' character list. Just wondering who all these people are, i sometimes like to guess how they are based on name. It makes me excited to see them, to guess what new element they bring. Then i suddenly realise were on chapter four of ten and that list has 19 people in it. It just make me worry for the story and for you as it's writer. As much as i like to be constantly amazed at Forums insane list of characters i do believe that Liquid can pull it off (Though i still worry sometimes). But i'm terrified you are going to get overburdened .

I hope you don't take any of this the wrong way. Sorry if you feel anything negative from this :(.

Don't feel bad. It's been nearly a month since the last part, I know. To be honest, though, I don't know how or where to move the story. It'

• Nohope?

Don't feel bad. It's been nearly a month since the last part, I know. To be honest, though, I don't know how or where to move the story. It'

• I'm typing up a reply. :P

Nohope?

• I want to return a lot of the smaller characters as well. And yes, I want to bring back Holly, Melissa, and Eli. But right now I can't really do that right now while Samantha is dealing with the supernatural things happening around her. Once that point as slowed down and evened out, I think I'll likely be able to reincorporate some of the previously seen characters without interrupting the narrative.

And I worry about having a ton of tissue characters, too. Since it's relevant, my other story, Monument hasn't had to deal with this as having the post-apocalyptic setting helps keep the characters closely knit (even then there's still a good amount of neglected characters). While, in Silicon, I'm dealing with a modern world where the characters go to school, then go home, and drop in and out of the narrative. In the long run, this should just be a minor hiccup once I figure out my solution to it.

I don't want to give out specifics since I'm not 100% sure when it will be out, but I'm hoping to have a new part done within the week! :D

Yeah i was going to wait until you asked for criticism, but the story has been focused a lot on a small cast. It didn't bother me too much.

• edited November 2015

Ok i look forward to it :). Also the news of character returns brings me so much joy.

And i do get the problems of modern settings and tissuing . Heck i spent hell in Prime trying to figure out how i was going to make individuals characters in the story shine as we get further in and couldn't till recently. If it wasn't for the fact that all the main characters are going to the same place or are already there i don't know how i would have made the first 'episode' work (Btw do you think i should use another term? "Act's" and "Chapters" are getting popular). So i can get the stress you are on. But i have to ask did you ever consider doing a Holly pov right after the body was found. I thought it would be interesting to see her react 'in the moment' psychologically or at least after to see how it affected her life.

I want to return a lot of the smaller characters as well. And yes, I want to bring back Holly, Melissa, and Eli. But right now I can't real

• Btw do you think I should use another term? "Act's" and "Chapters" are getting popular

I like the use of acts and chapters since that's how it's done in most of the books I've read. But the Telltale style of episodes and seasons is always nostalgic.

But i have to ask did you ever consider doing a Holly pov right after the body was found. I thought it would be interesting to see her react 'in the moment' psychologically or at least after to see how it affected her life.

To be completely honest, after chapter one, I forgot about her existence. I do that sometimes. :/ And I don't think I could pull off how it psychologically changed her. If I did try, it wouldn't be that good or carry much weight.

Ok i look forward to it . Also the news of character returns brings me so much joy. And i do get the problems of modern settings and tiss

• edited November 2015

Wow, ok...........honesty is surprising but still good. And yes now it wouldn't work due to time skip unless it traumatised her. And its cool not all of us have huge data storage in our heads to remember all the characters.

Hey wait now that i can ask questions........ Why Alex? Was there something in his personality? The fact that his family would avenge him? What?

Btw do you think I should use another term? "Act's" and "Chapters" are getting popular I like the use of acts and chapters since tha

• Well, there was more of her backstory being built up past chapter one but it sort of fell through with the time skip for the time being. Perhaps there will be a fitting moment for her in the future.

I picked Alexander because he fit the role I had in mind: a male in their late teens. That's about it to be honest. But I do things like that a lot, and it sort of builds itself up. Overall, I think that was one of my better writing decisions in this story.

Wow, ok...........honesty is surprising but still good. And yes now it wouldn't work due to time skip unless it traumatised her. And its coo

• Oh ok . Well i have to ask how do you feel about the characters you HAVEN'T introduced?

Well, there was more of her backstory being built up past chapter one but it sort of fell through with the time skip for the time being. Per

• They're amazing! The users who submitted them did an exceptional job! I just hope I can include them all in time.

Oh ok . Well i have to ask how do you feel about the characters you HAVEN'T introduced?

• AHHH stop making me excited. It's starting to hurt now. So.........much.......hype.........must...........be.........patient.......

They're amazing! The users who submitted them did an exceptional job! I just hope I can include them all in time.

• edited November 2015

Chapter Four: Awakened (Part 2)

Samantha Jones

She sat on the hospital bed with her hands intertwined, still they fidgeted despite her attempts to calm the shaking. Sam twisted her body looking out the shutters of the window for a sense of calm; the cold-looking landscape did little to ease the tension in the back of her neck. If she just looked at what happened… she’d know.

The urge to know and the fear of knowing battled in her head until she finally disregarded the warning, the sense of dread, and shut her eyes...

Flashes of Alexander stumbling backwards into the creek, his eyes and expression lit with fear and surprise, appeared across her closed eyelids. It repeated, flashing closer to Alexander and at different angles. She saw him fall back, the gravel crackle beneath his feet, and soundless splash of water as he was engulfed in the overflowing creek. One bullet was fired, but the gunshot echoed a million times in Samantha’s mind.

Alexander fell into the creek one last time, and she finally saw Luke standing in front of him with a smoking pistol. His face was emotionless, but what he had done was starting sink in, which became evident on his expression. He dropped the pistol on the creek’s bank and rushed into the water, trying to grab Alex’s body as it floated away. He yelled something, but his words were drowned out by an intense humming.

Something happened to Luke in a split second, and when Samantha felt what he felt, it felt strangely like molten silver rushing over her skin, down her throat, throughout her veins. It was changing Luke on the microscopic level. Every cell of his body was replaced. His soul -- his consciousness -- literally torn from his body in an absolutely, thoroughly painful process. On an empathic level, Samantha felt everything.

Samantha was stook from the vision as her own body convulsed, collapsing to the floor in unbearable pain. Every nerve in her body was screaming ‘PAIN,’ her shoulder and head especially. Blood was running from her nose, ears and tear ducts and everything was tinted red as the blood got in her eyes. Words -- pained screams -- failed to escape her mouth. All she could do was think: Owen was right, he was trying to protect her.

She let out a small, difficulty achieved last breath as she faded into unconsciousness. Mere seconds later, she was dead and lying on the white tile floor.

No choice this part. Really, I'm trying to get back into the motion of writing for Silicon. There should hopefully be more soon though!

• ...........SHES DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG, REGRETS, REGRETS

Chapter Four: Awakened (Part 2) Samantha Jones She sat on the hospital bed with her hands intertwined, still they fidgeted despite her

• edited November 2015

I thought so much of the story would revolve around her :(. Titles like Empathy and Apathy seemed to confirm it.

Chapter Four: Awakened (Part 2) Samantha Jones She sat on the hospital bed with her hands intertwined, still they fidgeted despite her

• There's a slight possibility it was just a red herring... >.>

I thought so much of the story would revolve around her . Titles like Empathy and Apathy seemed to confirm it.

• edited November 2015

...............possibility....................You mean maybe she's not................but that would........and..........because .......

.........AHHHHHHHH What game are you playing at Hope? You just got me to question what i just read. You cleverly worded bastard :)

There's a slight possibility it was just a red herring... >.>

• I meant the titles. There's a possibility the titles "Empathy" and "Apathy" were red herrings to make people think the finale involved her.

...............possibility....................You mean maybe she's not................but that would........and..........because .......

• Oh.....so she IS dead?

I meant the titles. There's a possibility the titles "Empathy" and "Apathy" were red herrings to make people think the finale involved her.

• Yes. She is dead.

Oh.....so she IS dead?

• edited November 2015

Oh.........NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

She was one of my favorites. I just loved her 'ability' and i looked forward to see it used more :'(

Yes. She is dead.

• S-Sam... Sam.... Sam? No, Sam! Sam... But, Sam... Why? Sam? No? Why?

Give me a second here.

What in the flippidy fudge nuggets? (Gotta keep the language PG.) No, she's dead? But... I blame England for this!

• Wait... what? Sam! No! What! Holy shit! No! That's... damn, that's just... I have not seen that coming, not at all, not in the slightest and even though I was dying to get some answers, I did not want that. You know, what really bad is, at first the other stuff that happened in this part made me overlook the final line and I had to do a double take after reading Lord's comment. I nearly fell out of my chair when I read this. It's just... it even managed to overshadow what she learned about Alex' death in this part and that says a lot, coming from me and all. God damn it... I thought she was the main character! What's going to happen now? I can't even... especially after what she saw... Now she can't even tell anyone what happened the day Alex' died. And her mysterious powers... I still wonder where they came from and if someone else will develop similar skills. But for now... god damn it, Samantha. She started off as a character with an interesting storyline, but whom I was unable to get involved to on a personal level. Her last few parts though made me genuinely like her and I am going to miss her.

Now, the other stuff. As much as Sam's death shocks me, I have to comment on this as well. Luke... It does not look good for him. Not at all. The thing is, now I know he shot Alexander. However, the only thing that still prevents me from unleashing a usual rant against him is that I still don't know if he did it out of his own free will, or if he was under the influence of something else when he did it. At least Alex' reaction proved that it happened without warning and while I wouldn't put it past him that he teased Luke and maybe provoked him, I doubt he did anything even close to justify getting shot. Luke's actions after he shot him show me that he was in full control of his body afterwards. However, the strange thing that happened to him while he was trying to save Alex makes me unsure if he shot him out of his own free will or if he was forced by something. Until I know his version of the story, until his guilt is either proved or disproved, I will try my best to stay open-minded towards him, even though it is harder than ever after this part. If it turns out that Luke was in full control of his body while he shot him, then I will make him suffer dearly for it, because there is no reason that can be good enough to justify murdering Alex. I don't even care for his reason. He was at the very least the one who shot, but I am not yet sure if he is the killer or if he was controlled by the killer. In any way, there is no way that I will ever forgive the killer for what he did or that I will ever show even the tiniest bit of mercy. There must be vengeance for Alex!

• Samantha... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! She was my favourite :( it'd be nice if Owen wasn't so shady and said "don't do it, you'll die". Man... now I'm wondering where the story will go from here and I'm guessing they won't be able to explain how she died. Samantha was the only one doing what mattered, she was figuring stuff out and as far as I know, she's the only one that had that power.

• WELP, SHE'S DED.

IF ONLY WE LISTENED TO OWEN THE GREAT.

• You don't seem that sad......

BlueShadiw posted: »

WELP, SHE'S DED. IF ONLY WE LISTENED TO OWEN THE GREAT.

• Oh no, I'm heartbroken over her loss.

I just hope next time we make a decision, we ask ourselves what Owen would d- I mean, we think of the consequences.

You don't seem that sad......

• Nooo, not Samantha :(

Now I regret that I choosed for her to look back to this day. We havent even learned much new stuff. Luke was already the main suspect and like Liquid said, its still not sure if he shot him out of his own free will. If he was controlled then I blame the one who controlled him for Samanthas death as well because she only looked back at this day because of the things that happened to Alex and Luke. But I am curious why someone controls a random teenager to shoot a second random teenager. For all we know, there was nothing special with Alexander at least so maybe it really was all Lukes fault.

• edited November 2015

Nohope you should....update the deceased list......

• NooOoooooooooOooOooOoO! Sam's dead, what the hell is this? What is this?

• edited November 2015

Chapter Four: Awakened (Part 3)

Lana Dawkings

Lana crashed and burned, so to speak, as the front tire of her bicycle slipped on the icy sidewalk and caused her to violently roll into the road. The contents of her backpack were slammed into her spine every half second, and her jaw and forehead went temporarily numb with the first impact and those that followed. She half expected to see her life flash before her eyes, but was somewhat thankful it didn’t.

The motion stopped with laid on her back, staring up at the cloudy sky, her long black hair spread out behind her. Lana pushed herself up, with her gloved hands protecting from the sting of cold asphalt, but not her lungs, that seemed to burn with every breath.

She looked for her bike and a reason she didn’t immediately die. And found the bike easy enough: in front of a stopped car, its driver either shouting curses or trying to figure out if she was alright. And she soon realized her method of survival solely rested on her ability to roll, uninterrupted, into the center lane.

The driver was, in fact, checking to see if she was alright. “Jesus christ, Lady,” the man said, annoyed by the lack of a response up to that point. “Did you hit your fucking head?”

“I’m okay.” She wasn’t actually sure of that. “And I’m sorry.”

“Just get your goddamn bike out of the road,” he hissed, then added, hissing even softer, “I was nearly in a wreck, thanks to you.”

“Christ... On it…” She approached the vehicle. Then froze when she made eye contact with the driver. Her pained expression turned into a frown, and his intimidating scowl dissolved. Lana finally spoke up again, but did so with spite: “Coach.”

The man was Wade Pittman. His receding hair and thick, ungroomed eyebrows were recognizable, even when hidden behind a full beard. Yes, it was ‘Mr.’ Pittman.

“Do I know you?” he asked, his voice quiet but no longer a hiss.

Lana suspected that if it wasn’t so cold, and her face hadn’t been bruised to hell, she would be able to smell alcohol on his breath. There was a possibly that beyond the veil of cold and a bloody nose, he was reformed. People like Wade Pittman… Lana suspected were on a path of eventual self-destruction.

It turned out Pittman didn’t need an answer, as his thick brow lowered and he muttered her name. “Dawkings.”

His eyes narrowed on her backpack and Lana pulled it further up her shoulder. “It’s none of your business,” she hissed along with vapor.

“Yeah, yeah…” He smirked. “Look at you, safeguarding that shit… Ruining a couple of lives in town?”

“Screw off, you condescending piece of…”

“Yeah. I know. I’m one to talk.” He shook his head and fiddled with the keychain. “‘Mutually assured destruction.’ I can keep my mouth shut. I do… however… have half the mind to turn you in. They’re looking for drug dealers, you know, after all that shit that happened last month…”

“I had nothing to do with Alex’s death, you rapist piece of...” She tried to collect herself and barely managed. “I’ll take you down with me,” she said. “You’ve got more skeletons in the closet than I.” That was a lie.

“Guess we’ll see who blows the whistle first, then, and can get outta town before they're caught.” Wade coughed a laugh and let out a sigh. He looked out the window, seemed to ponder that idea, and then at her bicycle. “Now, how about you get that shit outta the road.”

She flashed a gloved middle finger and pulled her bike out of the street and onto the sidewalk again. It was an empty threat, she thought to herself. Pittman was a man built on empty threats.

Lana pedled into the woods just off the wood and stopped an equal distance between the creek and the backyard of David Schneider. There she abandoned the bicycle and walked with her hands embedded in her pockets to the creek.

Thankfully, David was sitting there, watching the water trickle by blissfully.

The crunch of frozen leaves sounded her arrival, and he turned nervously at first, but when he saw who it was, he gave a halfhearted smiled. “Got a little worried you got an honest job.” The German sighed. He seemed to notice the bruises, but choose not to ask.

She huffed a chuckle and sat next to him. Their legs hung off the bank of the creek. She looked at the ring on his finger. Lana would admit, only in her head, that she had a slight crush on the married man, he was always astoundingly nice—who wouldn’t? Of course, David didn’t share those feelings. He would probably laugh and pat her on the shoulder if she told him. But looking at his ringed finger reminded her of another thing: ‘Ruining a couple of lives.’

Lana quelled both thoughts and spoke: “I got your stuff—five grams of marijuana.”

“Thanks.” He sighed and pulled the sleeve of his jacket a little further down to cover his exposed, scared arms. “You should quit while you’re ahead.”

“You say that every time I bring you drugs.”

He countered,“You don’t need the extra money.”

“I do,” Lana said. She fixated on her hands and sighed. “I really do.”

David didn’t ask again—he knew not to ask questions about it, but it was clearly burning in his mind. “I’m the middle aged man who wasted my early years doing things I really needed to do,” he said. “Admittedly, it ended well for me. I got more than I deserved.”

David pushed himself off the ground and started walking back to his house in silence.

“You still do drugs,” Lana mentioned while she caught up with him.

“Eh. I’ve calmed down.” He laughed. “Alex made sure of that.”

“How is she?” Lana asked.

“Fine as ever,” he answered, proudly.

“I want to ask something, it may seem random.”

“Go ahead,” he allowed.

“Am I ruining your life by supplying you with drugs?”

David tensed before he looked at his feet, relaxed, and meet her gaze again. “When I toured with Folterknecht for years—doing drugs, girls, cutting myself on stage and drinking the blood before I threw that shit up—I came within of inch of ruining my life. If anything, you’re an extremely positive influence.”

“I wouldn’t say that,” she murmured under her breath. “Another odd question, I guess, but what does Alex think?”

“She doesn’t mind the weed. She could have lived without the sheriffs poking around the house every time something drug-related happens.” David cracked a smile, and added, “Fortunately, Jenkins doesn’t mind the weed, either.”

“Are they looking for me, your supplier?” she asked.

“Yes—for questioning. But that died down weeks ago.” He tapped her on the arm. “Besides, you had nothing to do Alexander Carson’s death.”

She hoped so. There was a worry in the back of her head that wondered if she knew what happened.

With that worry, came another: Pittman. As hard as she tried to tell herself that it was an empty threat he had made, she still felt uneasy. There weren’t many people to turn to. But, fortunately or unfortunately, the one person she probably could was walking next to her. And if Pittman turned her in, the sheriffs might be more inclined to arrest David—in a way, it involved him, too. But even he had a limit when ignoring the obvious questions looming overhead. There were some things she couldn’t tell him.

[Warn/talk with David about Wade Pittman.]

[Keep to yourself about it.]

• [Warn/talk with David about Wade Pittman.] Might as well warn him to keep his eyes open.

Chapter Four: Awakened (Part 3) Lana Dawkings Lana crashed and burned, so to speak, as the front tire of her bicycle slipped on the ic

• edited November 2015

Yay this is back. Lana's finally here :D :D.

[Warn/talk with David about Wade]

Chapter Four: Awakened (Part 3) Lana Dawkings Lana crashed and burned, so to speak, as the front tire of her bicycle slipped on the ic

• [Keep to yourself about it.]

• [Warn]

I got ya back, David bro.

• [Warn/talk with David about Wade Pittman.]

That asshole.

Great part!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.