Details that people might forget, don't notice or just don't know about The Walking Dead

Comments

• edited October 2014

As mentioned in another post above, Telltale did an interview with Game Informer. Here's some tidbits they released about the development of season two and what they have in store for season three:

• When starting pre-production on season two, they considered two possibilities: creating a brand new guardian that would take Clementine under their wing, or following a brand new group entirely. They decided against creating a new guardian because they didn't want the players to feel like they were trying to replace Lee. Their explanation behind not choosing a group separate from the season one cast is that they didn't want to leave Clementine's personal story untold.

• They also considered exploring Kenny's backstory.

• Early versions of season two included an abandoned zoo and a tiger.

• They feel that bringing Kenny back was a good decision since he's a complex and interesting character. They "hoped that players would feel the world was harsh enough to break Kenny, but they were able to save Clementine."

• Telltale tweaked dialogue and their editing to ensure that the player made a strong connection with Jane in episode four. Fan feedback helped influence this. Telltale describes her as being one of the most important characters in the story, despite being introduced later than the rest of the cast.

• While they can't share many details, they guarantee that our personal endings for Clementine will play an important role in season three.

• edited October 2014
    They also considered exploring Kenny's backstory

Yee, like, Kenny saved Season 2 because of how his ending was the only emotional one.

While they can't share many details, they guarantee that our personal endings for Clementine will play an important role in Season 3

Ya, for the first 3 minutes.

quinnics posted: »

As mentioned in another post above, Telltale did an interview with Game Informer. Here's some tidbits they released about the development of

• Cue defensive people trying to pass them off as stressed/trying to appease IGN/telling the truth.

TBH, I think everybody has PTSD in this game. Clementine suffers from it most heavily.

RichWalk23 posted: »

So apparently Telltale knew that Sarah had PTSD, yet according to that one Talking Dead episode they still brushed her off as an annoying li

• I don't know what to say about getting rid of Clem's guardians. For sure, that's why they wrote off Christa and forced our final conflict to decide whether to have a sociopathic woman or a psychotic man as Clem's guardian. I suppose they could have committed further to the idea of Clementine being independent and spend all five episodes having her shift between different groups, all of them dying and Clem's survival being the only constant.

Kenny was a great supporting character in Season 1, but bringing him back was a sign of laziness on Telltale's part. Not only did resurrecting him cheapen his character arc in the original game, but he took up attention away from other characters who sourly needed it, his character arc in Season 2 was a less effective rehash, and the writers didn't even have the guts to fully commit to the idea of him going beyond redemption.

And this basically confirms that Amid The Ruins threw characters like Nick, Sarah, Sarita and to a lesser extent Luke to prop up Molly 2.0. To be frank, if I'd written Season 2 I'd consolidate Sarita and Jane into one individual.

As mentioned in another post above, Telltale did an interview with Game Informer. Here's some tidbits they released about the development of

• edited October 2014

Putting Kenny side by side with Luke does emphasize more of Luke's character, that's one benefit I did see of having Kenny around. However, I feel they should have spent the entire season with the cabin group and developing those relationships before reintroducing old cast members. Because of his personality (and I do honestly believe there is a little favoritism towards him), he overshadowed the characters whom I would have loved to get to know better. Carlos could have easily taken his place in many of the situations such as his rivalry and resentment of Carver (which had the proper buildup in episode two). Development was great up until Kenny returned and suddenly it became all about Kenny.

I'm not against them bringing back Kenny - I just didn't appreciate how it was at the detriment to other characters. So, I would have had Clementine spend all of season two with the cabin group, and brought Kenny back in a later season.Then there's even more buildup for a test of loyalty between Kenny and Luke. The final choice we got was a matter of 'who do I hate least' as opposed to 'who do I like more'.

Bokor posted: »

I don't know what to say about getting rid of Clem's guardians. For sure, that's why they wrote off Christa and forced our final conflict t

• IKR (Sarcasm)

TDMshadowCP posted: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5jl3GSjsBA&list=UUlhQQHICigyXCTVhsUwvlig

• I don't know if this has been mentioned but. In episode 2 of season 1 you can choose to leave the barn instead of taking off the screws. Andy will just walk past you and say nothing.

• I don't know what to say about getting rid of Clem's guardians. For sure, that's why they wrote off Christa and forced our final conflict to decide whether to have a sociopathic woman or a psychotic man as Clem's guardian. I suppose they could have committed further to the idea of Clementine being independent and spend all five episodes having her shift between different groups, all of them dying and Clem's survival being the only constant.

Who says they'd have to die each time? The reason for separation could change from episode to episode. One group kicks her out because they think she screwed something up, another one could just leave her behind in a tight situation, and in yet another Clem could choose to leave when she finds out their basically bandits or killers. But I still think you need at least one other consistent character to accompany Clem so she has someone to play off of.

I actually would't mind bringing Molly back for this kind of situation. She wasn't exactly deep, but since they resolved her minor arc in the first season, she's ripe to be further fleshed out as a character going forward. That could have even been the set-up. Molly finds Clem, and agrees to stick with her until they find a decent group for Clem to stay in, then Molly goes her separate way. And anytime it looks like things are going to work out, they get the rug pulled out from under them. Something like that crazy Wellington ending would actually fit much better with this scenario. Molly finally finds somewhere safe for Clem, but only when their both at a point where they don't want to be separated.

I think the bit about not wanting to give Clem another guardian kinda speaks a lot to how the new writing staff really aren't all that creative. Equating any kind of guardian with what we did in S1. As I've said a bunch of times, there were actually interesting ways you could have continued or played with that dynamic. The obvious one being a more emotionally rebellious Clem who acts more like a teenager. S1 Clem usually found a way to agree with whatever Lee's action were, but imagine her actually arguing with you now. She's not your little sweet pea anymore, she's a hellion you can't control.

The Molly thing I was suggesting just now would a more big sister/little sister dynamic with possibly shades of a master and student as well. And I really like the idea of Clem trying to play guardian to Sarah, only to be overwhelmed and their relationship becomes more that of a duo who has to work together to overcome their size and inexperience.

Really I think the biggest thing (well, one of many big things) missing in Season 2 was some character Clem has a connection with. I guess that was suppose to Kenny and Jane, but Kenny's relationship with Clem always felt off to me and Jane's basically just happens with no prior reasoning or explanation. And four episodes in no less. She's suppose to be a quiet loner but she drops her whole backstory on Clem without any prompting. With Molly you had to figure most of it out first and even then it takes some insisting to get her to spill the beans.

I don't know what to say about getting rid of Clem's guardians. For sure, that's why they wrote off Christa and forced our final conflict t

• Thanks for the share!

dojo32161 posted: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-hCYGjfBU

• Alt text

I gave to Sarah. so maybe she'll have better luck!

• Always thought she looked like a monkey...

SaltLick305 posted: »

(?)Derp Jane won't forget that!

• Hershel mentiond a Breckon back at the farm

• That happens no matter what unless you volunteer to shoot Duck

Willonline posted: »

In season 1 ep 3 After you successfully get kenny to to stop the train. If you keep silent through the discussion between katjaa and kenny a

• If you choose the right dialogue, Larry will call Kenny a flaming homosexual, Kenny does not defend himself against this.

• Actually Larry asks what homo-parade is going to stop him. Kenny actually volunteers for the position. =D

bigdogg0821 posted: »

If you choose the right dialogue, Larry will call Kenny a flaming homosexual, Kenny does not defend himself against this.

• How about modifying Sarita's role? I mentioned consolidating Sarita and Jane into one individual (with Kenny nowhere to be seen), and having her be a mother (or perhaps even just a maternal figure - teacher, even?) who's gone through the trauma of losing her children before. She'd be conflicted between babying Clem and Sarah, and the necessity of teaching them to inoculate themselves to loss?

Additionally, what 'lessons' did Jane really teach? A fancy method to kill zombies that Clem already knew? Some BS about empathy not being worth it? Season 2 can be argued to have each episode depict a different kind of mentorship for Clem (Christa/Pete in Episode 1, Walter in Episode 2, Kenny/Carver in Episode 3, Jane in Episode 4 and Jane/Kenny in Episode 5), but what lessons did Clem really learn from any of them?

I don't know what to say about getting rid of Clem's guardians. For sure, that's why they wrote off Christa and forced our final conflict to

• edited October 2014

Additionally, what 'lessons' did Jane really teach?

The little bits where she's saying check the freshly dead for stuff to scavenge, stabbed down walkers to make sure they're fully dead, smearing yourself with walker guts and the leg thing. It's not much, and we actually saw Clem do the leg thing and scavenge the dead in the first two episodes, and she knew the guts trick already but never used it, for some reason, but, I don't know, it was nice to finally see some acknowledgement that people should be guiding and educating Clementine, even if it was coming from miss flip flopping wounded warrior. Certainly beats Luke's "She sewed up her arm, she can tackle a whole bridge without a gun!" approach to handling Clem.

Other than that I don't know what if anything any of these people taught Clem. Apparently Christa covered suturing open wounds, but didn't get around to fire... Pete dies before he can teach Clem jack shit, and he won't let her smoke. Walter practices his Picard Speech on Clem, then gets pissed, then dies. It would have been interesting if he had survived to in Harm's Way and see is idealism clash with Carver's... I don't, let's just call it assholism. Carver was just an idiot, his philosophy is half a part quote abridged scripture, one part misinterpreted Darwinism and three parts beating small girls for shits and giggles. Kenny... that about covers him. Jane had her tricks, most of which Clem had already done in past episodes, and her insistence on being ruthless, which is always followed by lamenting how hard it is to be ruthless, followed by being ruthless and so on into infinity or Kenny stabbing her dumb ass, whichever come first.

The character you describe is interesting, all though I really don't see it as Sarita (blank slate) and Jane (indecisive dumbass), it sounds more like someone between Katjaa (Loving and nurturing mother) and Christa (practical, occasionally harsh woman with a compassionate side). I would like if she had some hesitation about helping/raising Clem and Sarah though. At this point just about everyone has tried to adopt Clem in some way to replace their dead daughter, little sister, whatever. It be nice to finally swap that up with someone not looking to replace their dead loved ones, but because of their compassionate nature, is often helping people that she can't help but grow attached too, even though she doesn't want too out of fear of losing them again.

How about modifying Sarita's role? I mentioned consolidating Sarita and Jane into one individual (with Kenny nowhere to be seen), and havin

• edited October 2014

Personally, I had the impression from the trailer for Episode 3 that Clementine would have come up independently with the 'guts' trick in order to help her and Sarah escape. That'd actually be a good way to call back to Season 1 and make Clem have some initiative in a plausible way. Then again, they had to find some way to make Jane seem less of a waste of space in Episode 3 and so she's the one who first brings it up.

And I was thinking more along the lines of developing Sarita beyond just being 'bland expendable girlfriend'. My version of Season 2 would have had her be the only person at the ski lodge along with Walter and Matthew. The moment where she tries to stop Clem from watching a man get his face torn off is canon Season 2's defining moment for her - but there didn't seem to be any consequences to your decision. I mean, regardless of whether you show your sociopathic side to her or not she still freaks out when you chop her arm off. This would seem less poorly written if REGGIE HADN'T LITERALLY TOLD HER "AMPUTATION SAVED MY LIFE." It's not like this is something you'd just ignore - if she thought he was lying, at least some acknowledgment should have been provide for that. As it is, the writers make her a moron so that Clem feels bad.

Additionally, what 'lessons' did Jane really teach? The little bits where she's saying check the freshly dead for stuff to scavenge,

• When Luke is carrying Clementine back to the cabin, Clementine can tell him and Pete that she was separated from her friend. They'll assume that Christa is a boy, saying that he could be around here somewhere. Clementine will become sad and tell them she doesn't think so. Luke and Pete will exchange a knowing look.

• the animation file for luke and jane doing kissing stuff and thangs in episode 4 is called cuddle time

Alt text

• LOL! Great! xD

Jewfreeus posted: »

the animation file for luke and jane doing kissing stuff and thangs in episode 4 is called cuddle time

• In season 1, theres unused dialogue in episode 5 that would suggest you had to navigate through the sewers with whoever comes with you.

• Alt text

the animation file for luke and jane doing kissing stuff and thangs in episode 4 is called cuddle time

• Doug is the only person in the original Macon group from Ep 1 (if you don't count Glenn since he left after episode 1 to rejoin Rick and Co.) who will never learn of Lee's past.

The only way Lee can tell people is if Carley lived, which means Doug would've ended at the drug store.

Lilly spills the beans about Lee's past seconds after Doug bites the dust in Ep 3.

Alt text

• Those eyebrows though.

BlueShadiw posted: »

Doug is the only person in the original Macon group from Ep 1 (if you don't count Glenn since he left after episode 1 to rejoin Rick and Co.

• Release the eyebrows of war! xD

TDMshadowCP posted: »

Those eyebrows though.

• ONLY 3% OF PLAYERS FED DOUG.

• But, he refused the food I think

ONLY 3% OF PLAYERS FED DOUG.

• Jewf, have you tried modding it in?

I wanna see :D

(JANE u bitch,)

• Christa = Boy

O_o???

W...T...F

When Luke is carrying Clementine back to the cabin, Clementine can tell him and Pete that she was separated from her friend. They'll assume

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jewf, have you tried modding it in? I wanna see (JANE u bitch,)

• You have to give him beef jerky.

Dawidek posted: »

But, he refused the food I think

• I thought it was the apple.

You have to give him beef jerky.

• Doug beef jerky Carley apple. That was the only way I could get either of them to accept food.

dojo32161 posted: »

I thought it was the apple.

• hahaha nah i actually assumed that it was the animation for them sitting together might have to have another look telltale might have left us some inappropriate content

Alt text

Jewf, have you tried modding it in? I wanna see (JANE u bitch,)

• seems like they originally made it show us their "cuddle time" but hey,

They decided that Clem can't see sex yet.

hahaha nah i actually assumed that it was the animation for them sitting together might have to have another look telltale might have left us some inappropriate content

• edited October 2014

You sure about that? Because I remember Doug saying something about never eating fruit before the walkers and how grateful he is to have it now. In fact, here's a detail people some may not have noticed, everyone but Lilly, Kenny and Katjaa have a unique dialogue track if they get the apple instead of the jerky or cheese & crackers. Ben's face lights up like it's Christmas if you give him the apple.

Doug beef jerky Carley apple. That was the only way I could get either of them to accept food.

• edited October 2014

Yeah you are right he will not accept beef jerky. I think he mentions liking beef jerky on the way to the St.Johns. Thanks for the correction.

You sure about that? Because I remember Doug saying something about never eating fruit before the walkers and how grateful he is to have it

• edited October 2014

Everyone here on the forums (not everyone but still) says Idris Elba = Lee Everett Actually, Lee's concept art and maybe the character is modeled after Idris Elba. Now, this is not confirmed by Telltale. But, just look at the pictures. If I'm wrong and became a shitbird, feel free to throw saltlicks at me. ;)

Alt text

Alt text

• Is Idris Elba someone I should know?

Dark_Star posted: »

Everyone here on the forums (not everyone but still) says Idris Elba = Lee Everett Actually, Lee's concept art and maybe the character is mo

Sign in to comment in this discussion.