The Thread of general TWD-related questions

Comments

• edited September 2016

That would make sense...Thanks.

• Anyone think I should make a thread on why so many people, obsessively, love Clementine? As one of the few who isn't all that arsed about Clem (not saying I don't like her), I've always been interested to know why some people seem to think she makes the games and is, arguably, the most popular character, considering there's not that many layers to her really. I mean, she is just a kid, so maybe Season 3 could make her, for me, a bit more interesting, but from season 1 and 2, especially 2, I can't get why she's so loved...Sorry for the rambling, but yeah, anyone think it would be a good idea or that it might just end up being another heated argument thread?

• You could but I get the feeling that many people would have the same explanation as to why they like her character. I could be wrong, though. I don't think its a bad thread idea.

The thread has been made before, but there are new members since then so you probably could make it again.

OneWayNoWay posted: »

Anyone think I should make a thread on why so many people, obsessively, love Clementine? As one of the few who isn't all that arsed about Cl

• Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Especially given the nauseating influx of Kenny related topics over the last few months, one that doesn't have to involve him would be nice.

Just to give a quick answer, I'm pretty sure it was the novelty of her being such a not only tolerable, but lovable child character in a video game being such an uncommon thing at the time, plus the fact that she is a strong female character and that both she and Lee are positively portrayed black protagonists. It's also why I think characters like Duck, Luke, Kenny(S2), and Arvo are sometimes given such a hard time.

OneWayNoWay posted: »

Anyone think I should make a thread on why so many people, obsessively, love Clementine? As one of the few who isn't all that arsed about Cl

• @Deltino is the master regarding this.

Kenny726 posted: »

I was wondering what exactly determines Kenny's choice at the end of Around Every Corner. Obviously siding with him often makes him come wit

• Does anyone know any interesting otherworld settings that I can use for a pitch?

• I don't recall ever hearing Rebecca or Sarita talk about it and Sarah was to conflicted to talk at the time, so that just leaves Nick and I barely remember him doing anything besides think about Luke and look sleepy.

prink34320 posted: »

I don't believe it is ever actually brought up unless it's the outcome of a specific dialogue decision when talking to one of them?

• What exactly was Andy's deal?

• Alright, in specifics, there are a few major choices that actively contribute towards it

• Saving Duck on Hershel's farm

• Siding with Kenny in the drugstore

• Siding with Kenny over Lilly in episode 2 (the beginning of the episode, etc)

• Killing Larry

• Leaving Lilly

• Shooting Duck

• Killing the boy in the attic

• Dropping Ben

Those are the choices that are specifically counted. It runs on a point system of sorts, where each of the above actions provides points. If it's above a certain threshold, Kenny's your friend. If it's in the middle, Kenny gives the whole "And I am a Christian man" speech. If it's below a certain number, Kenny will flat-out refuse to come with you.

It should be noted that Ben and Larry give the highest amounts of points on the scale the system runs on. Ergo, you have to kill at least one of them in order to get above the threshold to get the bro-speech. Either kill Larry and save Ben, or help Larry and drop Ben. You can't spare both of them and have Kenny be your friend, unfortunately.

This is the way it's supposed to work, but I've seen a few people mention that they've gotten Kenny to give his bro-speech even without meeting the above criteria, which seems to suggest something in the code doesn't always work right. But considering this is the Telltale Tool we're talking about here, I wouldn't put it out of the question.

Funnily enough, just about everything other than the above choices don't count towards his choice at the end of episode 4. So if you side against him on everything except the above, he'll still be your friend in the end. For example, refusing to feed Duck in episode 2. But obviously, the players aren't really supposed to know this. When you pull back the curtain and see how things work, it lessens the impact. When you know there's only certain things that truly affect Kenny's opinion of you, well... where's the fun in that? But alas, that's how games work.

But at the end of the day, you asked, so I answered.

Kenny726 posted: »

I was wondering what exactly determines Kenny's choice at the end of Around Every Corner. Obviously siding with him often makes him come wit

• No Time Left: The Extended Cut

Features a cut 30 minute scene of Lee opening doors in the Marsh House until he finds the right one

DoubleJump posted: »

How did Lee know which door Clementine and The Stranger were behind at The Marsh House? There were dozens of rooms on multiple floors. I can imagine a Montage of Lee just opening one room after another till he found the right one.

• Either murder these two people I don't like or we ain't friends!

Deltino posted: »

Alright, in specifics, there are a few major choices that actively contribute towards it * Saving Duck on Hershel's farm * Siding wi

• That's exactly how friendship works, right?

Have I been doing it right all these years?

DabigRG posted: »

Either murder these two people I don't like or we ain't friends!

• His deal with the Save-Lots bandit crew?

What exactly was Andy's deal?

• He just wanted some goddamned gasoline.

• That's exactly how friendship works, right? Have I been doing it right all these years?

• His deal as in what was his motivation? Brenda had family values and Danny was sick to begin with, but what was his problem?

His deal with the Save-Lots bandit crew?

• How could I forget? :lol:

He just wanted some goddamned gasoline.

• Woah. Are you a mermaid?

Thanks for answering. Considering I only did half of those, I'm assuming I have one of the games with a glitched code. Our entire friendship was based on a lie! :'(

Alright, in specifics, there are a few major choices that actively contribute towards it * Saving Duck on Hershel's farm * Siding wi

• DabigRG

TWDazehnuu
    Gay I think.

You probably meant gas, which is why this is so hilarious. :joy:

• Batman game is supporting Arabic language
    and i'm wondering if the Walking Dead season 3 will supported as will ?

• There was gonna be a tiger in that trio, apparently.

• Yeah, I don't recall really getting a read on him.

Also, you can drop the bold when saying my title, if you're nasty.:smile:

Shit. For some reason I thought dabigRG said Arvo instead of Andy.

I love how no matter who I might've meant, that is still hilariously offensive.

• What does your username mean?

Yeah, I don't recall really getting a read on him. Also, you can drop the bold when saying my title, if you're nasty. Shit. For som

• edited September 2016

No, drop the bold.

Also, what exactly Arvo would be actually did pop into my mind recently. Weird.

• He was a mama's boy. That's my guess. Whatever his mom says to do, he does it.

His deal as in what was his motivation? Brenda had family values and Danny was sick to begin with, but what was his problem?

• edited September 2016

How To Evade A Question. R. G. Dabig. September 18, 2016.

No.

• Would a MtG Color Wheel thread be too niche a topic? This is coming from someone who doesn't really know much about the game itself, btw.

• Okay, I'm genuinely curious as to what the justification/explanation for this is: Why is it that some characters are identified as having no personality even when there's clearly a pattern to their behavior?

• Thase are... I think the word is monoplanar? idk. But what I mean is that they have only one or two characteristics that defines their behavior. For example, Luke is a good guy, and he's only that: a good guy. You won't see him seeking revenge, killing someone out of anger, being selfish, etc. You can see him acting like a dick sometimes, but people are not always "good", even if they actually are good people. If he introvert? What is his favourite book? How does his philosophy work? What is his story? Is he creative? Is he a rebel? What if his vision of himself? And his vision of others? What's the worst thing he has ever done? And the best? How is his relationship with the people he knows? Does he like to come up with a plan or improvise everything? Any quirks? Why is he so sacrificated? What happened to his family? Why did he have sex with Jane when he knew it wasn't the right time to do it? I knows the are all silly questions, but they're the only ones I can think about now, and I'm too lazy to kee writing so bye bye.

Okay, I'm genuinely curious as to what the justification/explanation for this is: Why is it that some characters are identified as having no personality even when there's clearly a pattern to their behavior?

• And almost none them answered my fucking question. Good job, boobi!

Also, monoplanar is a type of roof truss with all framing elements are attached in one plane. ...Education?

Thase are... I think the word is monoplanar? idk. But what I mean is that they have only one or two characteristics that defines their behav

• edited September 2016

You've hit the nail in the head.

People often regard some characters as "having no personality" when said personality is only composed of a few absolute traits, when, in reality, people are much more complex than that, with numerous characteristics, methods, habits and double standards.

i.e. They're archetypal and bidimentional.

Thase are... I think the word is monoplanar? idk. But what I mean is that they have only one or two characteristics that defines their behav

• Or one-note, even?

You've hit the nail in the head. People often regard some characters as "having no personality" when said personality is only composed of

• What do you mean?

Or one-note, even?

• Those last two terms seemed to be baking my side a bit by implying that the problem isn't that they have no personality, but rather that their personality is just so basic that they could literally boil down to a few key words. In otherwords, two-dimensional, one-note, archetypal, and flat.

What do you mean?

• I believe that's exactly what's happening, that people say that the characters have no personality as a means of saying that their personalities are poor. I'd say it's miscommunication more than anything.

Those last two terms seemed to be baking my side a bit by implying that the problem isn't that they have no personality, but rather that the

• Not to mention just being inaccurate to the point of exaggeration.

I asked because of the recent insenuations that characters like Mike, Alvin, and Carlos have no personality, when really their characters aren't given much focus.

I believe that's exactly what's happening, that people say that the characters have no personality as a means of saying that their personalities are poor. I'd say it's miscommunication more than anything.

• Somewhere in this communities, there is a thread with all of the villains apparently plotting against Clementine. Does anyone have a copy of it?

• Honestly, the only way for a character to truly not have a personality is if they're an inanimate object, like a rock or something

All of TWD's characters have personalities... some of them either either not that good, or not explored or focused on enough.

Although to be fair, sometimes that kind of thing happens in real life, too. Sometimes you don't really get to see different sides of people, to a point where they actually could come across as one-note. For example, say you work at a store, and there's this one co-worker who is just an asshole; he's always angry or in a bad mood when he comes in, he's crass and rude to you and the other co-workers, and he just doesn't seem like he has many redeeming qualities. All you see is him being an asshole. But unbeknownst to you, the guy is actually decent when he isn't working a shit job; maybe the guy's an organ donor, trying to raise his son as a single dad, working the job solely for his son's sake. Turns out the guy has dimension after all, you just never saw it, despite working with the guy and seeing him on a day-to-day basis.

Or how about the average school bully? Guy's always picking on someone, sometimes you. The way you see it, you're wondering if the guy's ever not a dick. But maybe he's going through some shit of his own that you never see. An abusive relative, someone in the family is dying, maybe they have an untreated mental problem... who knows? Sometimes in life, you simply don't get to see multiple facets of a person. Sometimes everything around us happens too quick for us to sit down and get to know a person, or see them in a different light than usual. So it's easy to judge them as a result.

Not to use this as an excuse, but expecting every single person you come across to be outwardly complex and multi-dimensional isn't really fair. Not everyone's like that. People tend to show what they choose to show. And if they choose to really only show one side of themselves, well... that's what you get.

Again, that's not an excuse, but expecting every character to expand upon themselves as a person doesn't seem fair. I can agree there's characters in S2 that were woefully unexplored/underdeveloped (Sarita, Carlos, etc), but characters like Luke are people I would consider an exception to the rule. They're not as one-note as they seem, they just come across that way, and we just don't really get to see the other side of them all that often, be that by circumstance, or by choice (either our choice(s) or their's).

I believe that's exactly what's happening, that people say that the characters have no personality as a means of saying that their personalities are poor. I'd say it's miscommunication more than anything.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.