TWD The Final Season Ep 1 Waiting Thread - Releases Aug 14th, Switch EU Aug 28th

dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator
edited August 2018 in The Walking Dead

The Walking Dead: The Final Season

Trailer

Release Dates

• PC - August 14th
  • Playstation 4 August 14th
  • Xbox One - August 14th
  • Nintendo Switch North America - August 14th
  • Nintendo Switch Europe - August 28th

News

August 9th

August 7th

August 2nd

July 31st

July 30th

July 16th

July 6th 2018

June 6th 2018

Visit the Whatever's On Your Mind Megathread for off topic chat!

Pass some time and get to know the Telltale Community! While you are waiting for the episode, why not pass some time by getting to know the Telltale Community?

Discussion of spoilers from past episodes is okay, but please do not discuss story spoilers (or share videos) relevant to this particular episode inside its own Waiting Thread - Episode Waiting Threads are meant to be spoiler free discussions where people can follow news updates and see if an episode is out yet.

Be respectful of personal boundaries towards Telltale Staff members (past and present). Keep all game discussions focused on the content and not the creators. Avoid posting social media content from staff members that is not related to official and intentional game promotion. Please note that most staff members cannot directly comment on future episode release dates, upcoming episode spoilers, etc.

Tagged:

Comments

• edited June 2018

Whether is this true or not I don’t know. I hope not.

Episode 1 is releasing on August 14. This website is German so you will need to translate the page https://playfront.de/the-walking-dead-final/amp/?__twitter_impression=true!. Also link to back this up, you will need to sign in to see the information https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-walking-dead/the-walking-dead-final-season-2018?amp#click=https://t.co/ejPuOhQWx1.
    One of the source says the following: In this concluding story, Clementine has become a true survivor of the zombie apocalypse after years of fighting on the street against the undead and human enemies. Now she must seek refuge in a "remote school" and continue to protect the orphaned AJ while warding off a series of new threats and making difficult decisions along the way.
    With The Walking Dead: The Final Season, Telltale promises a number of new features, including a shoulder-gripping camera, an unscripted fight, and a flashy Graphic Black style that gives the franchise the much-needed visual overhaul. In addition, you can look forward to features such as 4K and HDR.
    The Walking Dead: The Final Season is available from the 14th of August.

• 4 episodes only ?? I really hope it’s fake..

• "...on the street...,"

• I also came across this same story from a Russian website. And before you ask...... I wasn't looking through Russian websites :lol: A link was shared to a discord group which brought you to an article that said this: The premiere of the first episode of the last season of The Walking Dead by Telltale Games will be held on August 14 on PS4, Xbox One and PC. Until the end of the year the project will reach the Nintendo Switch.
    As early as June 8, preliminary orders for the final season will begin, this time consisting of four episodes. In this case, the owners of the pre-order kit on the PS4 and Xbox One are waiting for the bonus - a compilation of The Walking Dead Collection, which includes the first two seasons and spin-off about Michonne.
    In the last trip Clementine players waiting for at least a couple of innovations - a free camera and occasional skirmishes with zombies, but they can be avoided by thoughtful study of locations.

• edited June 2018

(Tag Removed) I'm telling you right now, if there's only 4 episodes, I'm not buying.

• LINK ME THIS

I also came across this same story from a Russian website. And before you ask...... I wasn't looking through Russian websites A link was sh

• edited June 2018

I understand that everyone has become accustomed to 5 Episode Seasons but if they are making The Final Season 4 Episodes long then that is alright as long as it is sufficient enough for Telltale to tell the story. They can make a 3 episode series or a 10 episode series but the amount of episodes do not matter as long as they convey the story in a good manner

patrickrc95 posted: »

(Tag Removed) I'm telling you right now, if there's only 4 episodes, I'm not buying.

• Can you recall any of the main points that were made in the article? If not then that is alright :smile:

4k60fpsHDR posted: »

https://www.videogamer.com/news/the-walking-dead-the-final-seasons-first-episode-will-drop-in-august This publication took down the article, guess this was revealed too early.

• I wish I could.

I just saw it on google and clicked it, and it 404'd me.

Can you recall what was said about the Switch?

Can you recall any of the main points that were made in the article? If not then that is alright

• BUT SERIOUSLY GUYS HYPE

• edited June 2018

Same as the other one. Just different language. The playfront link doesn't say anything about 4 Episodes, but the other one did.

I wish I could. I just saw it on google and clicked it, and it 404'd me. Can you recall what was said about the Switch?

• edited June 2018

How the f*ck is 4 Episodes going to conclude Clementine’s story?! If this is true, each Episode needs to be around 3 hours long. Which I doubt they will.

• While the Google translation requires more improvement I think it suggests that there may be a port to the Switch before the end of 2018. It will most likely act like the Season Pass discs for MC:SM and Walking Dead A New Frontier where you will automatically receive the episode as soon as it available to the public. And I am aware the Nintendo Switch does not use discs :lol:

I wish I could. I just saw it on google and clicked it, and it 404'd me. Can you recall what was said about the Switch?

• Please link me the russian article

While the Google translation requires more improvement I think it suggests that there may be a port to the Switch before the end of 2018. It

• 4k60fpsHDR posted: »

Please link me the russian article

• Oh noes! We're only getting four episodes!? How dare they betray our trust like that! (e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶e̶r̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶f̶o̶r̶m̶e̶d̶ ̶u̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶e̶p̶i̶s̶o̶d̶i̶c̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶u̶c̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶g̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶g̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶g̶o̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶e̶p̶i̶s̶o̶d̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶g̶u̶y̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶l̶y̶?̶)

Why I think this calls for threats of a boycott and is totally not petty at all!

• There will be a huge amount of hate and backlash if they make only 4 Episodes.

• It’s unacceptable to get only four episodes for a final !! The season will be horrible..

• But why is that? As long as they tell the story in a good fashion and make it enjoyable then the number of Episodes should not really matter all that much...

There will be a huge amount of hate and backlash if they make only 4 Episodes.

• Not saying I believe this, I don't trust anything unless it comes directly from Telltale, but if there is only 4 episodes, then sorry Telltale, you won't be getting my money for this.

• 4 episodes

Good my misery will end sooner

Anyway, who’s hyped for The Last of Us Part II???

• Why do people here like being shafted. I have literally never seen this behavior anywhere else. It’s truly fascinating.

But why is that? As long as they tell the story in a good fashion and make it enjoyable then the number of Episodes should not really matter all that much...

• Guys... Hear me out on this:

What if each of the 4 episodes were of a Season 1 level length? 2-3 HOURS each
    Telltale can tell the story they want. I wouldn't want them to have extra unnecessary padding for the sake of having 5 episodes.
    If they can make a great, well-paced story in 4 Episodes, then good.

• The price better decrease too then.

• Now that is understandable.

The price better decrease too then.

• If they can’t make a story fleshed out enough in only 5 episodes then what makes you think they can do it in four.

Last time they said that their length depends on what story they’re telling, the episodes kept breaking records at being the shortest and most rushed episodes they’ve ever produced. How can you not see a trend here.

AChicken posted: »

Guys... Hear me out on this: What if each of the 4 episodes were of a Season 1 level length? 2-3 HOURS each Telltale can tell the story

• edited June 2018

I know, they've had a very shaky track record as of late.

I just think that having 4 episodes is for a story decision on their end where they've laid out the story, the separation of episodes, and there's plenty of content in each episode to make up for the lost episode.
    Some story beats probably need a beginning, middle, and end for a whole episode rather than finding a point to wrap it up for a cliffhanger.

I'm looking at this, and holding out hope for longer episodes.
    (Plus, I've kind of wanted to see them experiment with their episode count. Some series would probably benefit to have a few more or a few less episodes. Sticking to a strict 5-episode formula limits how the story can be presented.)

EDIT: My point is that this change means that Telltale is really focusing on the quality of the stories now, rather than what they can easily churn out for 5 episodes. They're experimenting.

If they can’t make a story fleshed out enough in only 5 episodes then what makes you think they can do it in four. Last time they said th

• I am sorry but I what do you mean by that?

Why do people here like being shafted. I have literally never seen this behavior anywhere else. It’s truly fascinating.

• edited June 2018

If the Season is 4 episodes long rather than the usual 5, hopefully the price tag will similarly be lower than the usual 25€. A lower price might get the sales up... I guess? On the other hand four episodes might just piss everyone off.

I personally wouldn't mind a more "compressed" story. A New Frontier had so much nothingness in it. It's especially visible in Thicker Than Water. About 60 minutes of getting a vehicle and guns which are never used for their original purpose. I'd chose a better paced, content filled Season over something as lacking of content per episode as ANF. Again, granted the price is adjusted accordingly.

I just don't think less episodes is necessarily a bad thing, as long as they charge accordingly to the content we're getting and as long as the story's structure doesn't suffer from it.

Not that this means that I have confidence in Telltale's story crafting after the last TWD title, so this doesn't really change anything. A shitty 4 episode story holds the same value as a shitty 5 episode story. It's really all about the story, and I don't think Telltale deserves anyone's trust in that department right now.

• Because Season 1 managed to have 2-3 hour long episodes and STILL be 5 episodes long, why should we accept any less?

AChicken posted: »

Guys... Hear me out on this: What if each of the 4 episodes were of a Season 1 level length? 2-3 HOURS each Telltale can tell the story

• So is none of the staff going to clarify this? i understand if they want to wait till E3, but i feel this will just make things more confusing and uncertain before then.

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited June 2018

Before getting the torches and pitchforks out (if this is even legitimate in the first place), we should probably wait for the official announcement to contextualize things.

There were hints and whispers from recent interviews they might change episode format too.

• Listen Telltale did say that they may change up how they do things in relation to Episode Lengths, Number of Episodes and etc etc. How will they evolve as a company without taking a risk? Walking Dead Season One was a risk for them as they solely focused on Choice making and Story and look at how that turned out. If they kept doing the same old thing people would get tired of it (and quite a number of people are tired of Telltale reusing this stuff) so at some point they have to experiment so to keep players. I can see why there is some confusion and disliking towards a 4 Episode Season but as long as they use those 4 Episodes to tell a compelling story then that is alright. If it takes them 7 Episodes to tell a story or 3 Episodes to tell a story then fine as long as they use each and every Episode to make a compelling story.

But it's not like this comment will be taken into consideration or anything as it will simply be downplayed and dismissed

edited June 2018

A ) That's not her call to make
    B ) Tagging staff members at random seems a bit redundant. Let's save that for when there's a particular reason. However, mostlypoptarts is the Community Manager and she is the staff member who is most likely to view feedback from the forums.

patrickrc95 posted: »

• we should probably wait for the official announcement to contextualize things.

What is there to contextualise? I don't want to hear another "episode 1 was too big!!!".

Before getting the torches and pitchforks out (if this is even legitimate in the first place), we should probably wait for the official anno

edited June 2018

Uh, perhaps if the episodes will be longer and/or in a new format to compensate for the fewer episodes? As well as if the price will be the same/less/more due to fewer episodes with potentially new gameplay?

What I'm saying is, if the PAX footage and other hints at Telltale's future direction are any indication, this might not be as "samey" compared to other Telltale games as we think.

Perhaps we are jumping the gun by assuming episodes will have the same gameplay, format, length, presentation, etc as previous Walking Dead/general choice based Telltale games.

[Disclaimer: Moderators are community volunteers and not staff. We don't have any advance insight - this is purely my own fan speculation...]

we should probably wait for the official announcement to contextualize things. What is there to contextualise? I don't want to hear another "episode 1 was too big!!!".

• an unscripted fight

how will this work if it’s unscripted? They’ve always had scripted fights, so this will be interesting to see.

only 4 episodes!

It better be 4......times 2?

• That's my thoughts on the matter, pretty much.
    Really, the five episode structure is one they ultimately couldn't fulfill their stories
    with, extenuating the length and content issues.
    If they don't think there's enough material in The Final Season's story to fill out five episodes, then so be it.

I understand that everyone has become accustomed to 5 Episode Seasons but if they are making The Final Season 4 Episodes long then that is a

Sign in to comment in this discussion.