Monkey Island, but with PONIES!

Well, since I've already made Kirby versions of Guybrush, Elaine and Morgan, I could only think of one thing that could top that kind of crossover. A crossover with REAL BRUSHABLE HAIR! You know, like just about every single girl's toyline of the 1980s. Speaking of girl's toylines from the 80s, I recently got a load of vintage My Little Ponies (which were all in terrible condition just in case there's any angry collectors out there!) off eBay for me to experiment on, because I wanted to try my hand at customising My Little Ponies. You know, for science and junk.

Without further ado, meet Guinea Pony #1:

00057hw6
A pirate, eh? Well, that can be arranged... with some acetone, a scalpel and a scalping. Because the Three Trials are for PEOPLE, not ponies.

0005awb0
Oh, it's much too late for that Pony!Guybrush. Much, much too late...

Scrubbing, scalping and otherwise preparing the ponies for customisation takes a while, so you can amuse yourself by using the disembodied heads to freak out your flatmates. That's what I did anyway.

0005cpt7
The teal pony head on the right may or may not be related to the Monkey Island/My Little Pony project. Or I might just put it in my flatmate's bed while he's asleep.

Next, sculpting!

0005d869

0005ewxt

I'm using Milliput epoxy putty to sculpt the outfit, unfortunately this means I have to do it in stages. I'm hoping to finish it tonight, so there should be more pics later.

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Can't wait to see the end result!
    Anyways, i thought old-style My little ponies were really expensive these days...
  • edited April 2010
    WOW seriously WOW, when i saw the Kirby on this thread,i thought it was OUTSTANDING, i cant wait to see the My little pony Guybrush, i wonder what other cross over characters we will see in the future, if you had a facebook fan page, id join it ;)
  • edited April 2010
    Friar wrote: »
    Anyways, i thought old-style My little ponies were really expensive these days...

They are... if they're in decent condition. The lot I got off eBay were being sold as bases for customisation as their general condition was average to poor, most of them are stained in some way and/or have lost hair. This is what the staining is like on most of them. (pony on the right may or may not be involved in this project...)
    Wolfstar27 wrote: »
    i cant wait to see the My little pony Guybrush, i wonder what other cross over characters we will see in the future, if you had a facebook fan page, id join it ;)

Awwww, thanks, I'm flattered! Unfortunately I don't use Facebook, I'm bad enough at keeping my Livejournal updated. And there will definitely be more characters than Guybrush getting turned into ponies...
  • edited April 2010
    Can't wait to see the result!
  • edited April 2010
    I'm expecting pony melodramas.
  • edited April 2010
    this thread is freaking me out man!!!
  • edited April 2010
    Progress!

0005fs85

0005gdgq

He just needs a few more details added and a bit of sanding, then he'll be ready for painting.
  • edited April 2010
    Looking good!
  • edited April 2010
    Awesome, can't wait to see these finished! :D
  • edited May 2010
    Have finished sculpting the outfit, it just needs sanded once the epoxy has cured, then it can be primed:

0005hw2a

These are the colours I'll be using to rehair him:

0005krwc

The colour on the right came out really dark in the photo for some reason, it's lighter IRL. The middle colour will be the main one I use, the ones on the left and right will be used for streaks. They're all from http://mylittlecustoms.com which is a great site for getting pony customising supplies.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    At first the dismantling of a childhood icon weirded me out, but this is looking seriously cool. Thanks for all the pics, can't wait to see it finished!
  • edited May 2010
    Never had ponies or seen any in read life, so dismantle all you want as far as I'm concerned :p

And it's looking better with each set of pictures!
  • edited May 2010
    Not much of an update today, but a plain black undercoat really has improved his looks. Now he's Dark Ninja Dave, only a pony!

0005p2d0
  • edited May 2010
    Now all he needs is a tiny plastic sword!
  • edited May 2010
    Now to forge a treasure map, sell it on Ebay and bury this thing...
  • edited May 2010
    I will admit I was skeptical at first, but now I cant wait to see it finished great work.
  • edited May 2010
    You know i hated those ponies i though always they where too cutesy and pinky and all that. Im liking this thread so much i cant wait to see it completely finished!

You oughta try selling it in Ebay see for how much it goes!
  • edited May 2010
    Jen Kollic wrote: »
    Not much of an update today, but a plain black undercoat really has improved his looks. Now he's Dark Ninja Dave, only a pony!

0005p2d0

Omg is that a Fallout box the Guy-pony is on? if so that game is awesome
  • edited May 2010

Shouldn't it be "Ponybrush"?
  • edited May 2010
    too bad it's not painted gold. I could make the worst pun ever here.
  • edited May 2010

Yes indeed, it's the box for Fallout 2 because I had it by my PC and he needed a flat surface to stand on. Well spotted!
    Remolay wrote: »
    too bad it's not painted gold. I could make the worst pun ever here.

Do tell, horrible puns are always entertaining!

Here he is with his base colours painted, I've still to do details like his eyes and the patterns on his jacket. Then he gets re-haired, then he's done!

0005q1rc

0005r92f

He's still kinda creepy though... I think it must be the dead, blank stare.
  • edited May 2010
    I'll take 20!

Brilliant work, really can't wait to see the end result!
  • edited May 2010
    This is truly fanstastic, reminds me of
    when Guybrush switches bodies with someone with the balnk eyes
  • edited May 2010
    This work is awesome. It's been said, but I can't wait to see the end result.
  • edited May 2010
    that pony is gonna look so freaking awesome when it's done.. I can't wait!
  • edited May 2010
    Lookin good pony. Your test as a pirate is coming to an end! nice crossover!!!
  • edited May 2010
    I love the WIP approach.... I like seeing what goes into stuff.. Often when you just share the end result people can not appreciate the amount of work goes into things.
  • edited May 2010

Do tell, horrible puns are always entertaining!

It was "Stay gold, Ponybrush"
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks for all the comments guys! It's good to know that other people find this concept entertaining instead of/as well as disturbing.

Painting is more or less done, he finally has eyes again!

0005sfs8

0005t5q7

Now, it has been suggested to me that I should blend the blonde hair/feathering on his hooves in with the skintone more so there's not such an abrupt jump between skin and hair. But it's also been suggested to me that I should leave it the way it is. What do you guys think? Here's a closeup:

0005wk46

Next up is the rehairing!
  • edited May 2010
    Rehairing!
  • edited May 2010
    This is really awesome. I wish I had artistic abilities like that...so cool...
  • edited May 2010
    I found the skintone on the legs distracting, honestly, I think it might even look better if there isn't any at all.
    On the other hand, if you leave it, I think it's fine as it is.

Also, it looks wonderful. I love it. The eyes and various details really bring it all together (it already looked great before, but now it looks better than great).
    Can't want to see it with hair on.
  • edited May 2010
    This is looking so good, you're amazing.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    Wow! Great paint job... I'm so impressed with the eyes, they look like originals.
  • edited May 2010
    What looks the best for me is the coat. Honestly you have a nice talent there.
  • edited May 2010
    Now, it has been suggested to me that I should blend the blonde hair/feathering on his hooves in with the skintone more so there's not such an abrupt jump between skin and hair. But it's also been suggested to me that I should leave it the way it is. What do you guys think?

I would say blend it. It draws my eye too much down to his feet the way it is now.

Don't you have to take the pony's head off to rehair it? I would have thought you'd do that before finalizing the painting and sculpting, so that the decapitation wouldn't mess up any of your work. (I only know a tiny bit about pony customization, so humor me.)

He looks great so far, I'm really looking forward to seeing the end result!
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks guys! I'll have a bash at blending the hair on the feet to see if that looks better, if not then I'll use Avistew's suggestion and get rid of the skintone entirely. Re-hairing may take a while, as this'll be the first time I've done it. Apparently it's the worst and most time consuming part of the process, hurrah!
    zhebrica wrote: »
    Don't you have to take the pony's head off to rehair it? I would have thought you'd do that before finalizing the painting and sculpting, so that the decapitation wouldn't mess up any of your work. (I only know a tiny bit about pony customization, so humor me.)

Yes, the head does have to come off for re-hairing, but right now it's detachable. It's already been pulled off, and I pared some of the plastic off the socket so it comes on and off pretty easily. I was worried about damaging the paint when I re-haired him, but the tutorials I looked up all said to re-hair once the painting was done. I mixed a whole pot of the skintone colour so that I could patch it up easily enough if there's any damage. (plus I'm using the same colour for Pony!Elaine)
  • edited May 2010
    Improvement on hooves, y/n? (also I've started rehairing!)

0005xcgx

0005ya52
  • edited May 2010
    I like the hooves better now.... do you need my address so you can send me this in the mail? :D
  • edited May 2010
    This is so weird, I never thought that I would want a pony before, but this is just looking so good. How dare you make me want to own a pony :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.