Why there should have been 5 episodes

I just feel like this season was a bit too compact.

God bless everyone.

Comments

• i dont think so. taking into account the final Episode already felt almost "fillerish" considering it's mainly the group Walking back to Erikson you can clearly tell it was written with 4 episodes in mind. they might have made it 5 episodes long if they made the episodes shorter by excluding the respective finales and putting them at the start of each of the following episodes. but personally i was actually glad the episodes were much longer again (escpecially compared to a new frontier). they're not "Season 1 long" but definitely "Season 2 long".

• it was for budgetary reasons

• They didn't have the money to make a fifth episode, though it could've definitely done with a 'Starved for Help'-esque side chapter to develop the characters more and increase attachment. Even TWAU2 was only going to be a 3 episode mini-series and there were concerns it would never get made.

• Even though there were only 4 episodes it was still longer than ANF by a huge margin. I'm satisfied, although I'm praying for a spin off DLC about the Delta war or something

• It was already a bit dragged out with 4

• edited April 2019

They quite simply didn't have much story they felt like telling and/or putting effort into.

EDIT: As for the actual watch...
    What the fuck were doing with Marlon there?
    I love how the Delta get their own section, btw. Justifiably so.
    Eh, disagree, but whatever.
    Mr. Mudle said in the recent interview that they didn't wanna do that.
    Honestly, thinking about, yeah it is rushed. Season 2 and eventually ANF suffered from having their story's peter out and shift focus to something else, but there was a definitely fastforward button on this even with Broken Toys(for better or worse).
    What was that black cut at 2:35?
    That's technically been the case for each subsequent game.

• If the budget allowed it they would've extended it by encountering the delta and it's war, same with twau I read here it was going to be too short (even shorter than TFS) and u can tell why, the budget.

• There was barely enough story for 3 episodes let alone stretching to 5.

The season finale was mostly just aimless wandering through the forest with 'stuff' simply happening along the way.

• If I'm honest, it felt like this season dragged on with 4 episodes with some odd pacing choices. There are several sections I would've made shorter to focus on character moments, and some I'd have changed altogether as it just didn't really work well. Without rewriting ep 3 and 4 entirely, it really wouldn't have fit an ep5.

• If they didn’t have focused on to many games on 2016/2017 them TFS would’ve been longer like (Guardians of the Galaxy ) which nap but are you pretty much played at two at this point because people were still focused on (Batman the enemy within) or The Walking Dead a new frontier Plus the law suit we could’ve had five episodes plus maybe a bonus episode like 400 days ...If that happened.

• So in other words, in order to have a fifth episode, they would've needed to write an actual plot?

Poptarts posted: »

If I'm honest, it felt like this season dragged on with 4 episodes with some odd pacing choices. There are several sections I would've made

• And not focus on to many games in 2017, very bad move.

DabigRG posted: »

So in other words, in order to have a fifth episode, they would've needed to write an actual plot?

• Um, yeah, sure, whatever.
    I was referring to the Walking Dead itself.

And not focus on to many games in 2017, very bad move.

• I was just making an alternate example on if they didn’t focus on to many games in one years we could’ve had an episode 5 plus more character development .

Um, yeah, sure, whatever. I was referring to the Walking Dead itself.

• They should've been able to do that regardless, honestly.
    Or more on topic, could've have four episodes worth of fleshed out material if that really was the limit.

I was just making an alternate example on if they didn’t focus on to many games in one years we could’ve had an episode 5 plus more character development .

• Fair enough.

They should've been able to do that regardless, honestly. Or more on topic, could've have four episodes worth of fleshed out material if that really was the limit.

• It would've helped lol. Seriously, I know people will point out ' the plot was a home for AJ and Clementine ', however it's just not enough. If it were, that plot was achieved in Ep 1 until 'uh oh AJ headshot an unarmed guy with his back to him '.

So in other words, in order to have a fifth episode, they would've needed to write an actual plot?

• God, Episode 4 had the most dragged out pacing ever in a TT episode.

The last hour was criminally egregious.

• Tbh they easily could’ve done only 3 episodes. Trim out the unnecessary bits in Suffer the Children and then split up Broken Toys and give the first half to Suffer the Children and the second half (the boat raid) to Take Us Back. You could also shorten the beginning part of Take Us Back if you needed to as well.

• The whole season actually.

God, Episode 4 had the most dragged out pacing ever in a TT episode. The last hour was criminally egregious.

• However, without 5 eps they couldn't touch certain things like the Delta reveal and certain characters like Minnie I think deserved a bit more explanation.

Thank you for the comment.

God bless you.

i dont think so. taking into account the final Episode already felt almost "fillerish" considering it's mainly the group Walking back to Eri

• Makes sense.

God bless you.

Ghetsis posted: »

it was for budgetary reasons

• Agreed, Starved for help really had a lot of good dialogue.

God bless you.

Cheddarhead posted: »

They didn't have the money to make a fifth episode, though it could've definitely done with a 'Starved for Help'-esque side chapter to devel

• Yeah, but ANF was short.

God bless you.

Even though there were only 4 episodes it was still longer than ANF by a huge margin. I'm satisfied, although I'm praying for a spin off DLC about the Delta war or something

• episode 4 felt rushed to me. Like it went from boat to cave to bridge to barn pretty quickly.

God bless you.

It was already a bit dragged out with 4

• Oh the black cut was a scene from my review but I accidentally didn't keep the sound on for that.

Both my episode 1 and 2 review I said things were feeling rushed.

Thank you for the comment. God bless you.

They quite simply didn't have much story they felt like telling and/or putting effort into. EDIT: As for the actual watch... What the fu

• Yup the budget.

God bless you.

If the budget allowed it they would've extended it by encountering the delta and it's war, same with twau I read here it was going to be too short (even shorter than TFS) and u can tell why, the budget.

• No, they had enough for a lot more stories (such as the Delta) but by compressing them it felt incomplete in my opinion.

God bless you.

Chibikid posted: »

There was barely enough story for 3 episodes let alone stretching to 5. The season finale was mostly just aimless wandering through the forest with 'stuff' simply happening along the way.

• Yeah, make the less important parts shorter and have more character development. I definitely think the ending of ep 3 needed to be rewritten then I think ep 4 could have maybe been about the Delta.

God bless you.

Poptarts posted: »

If I'm honest, it felt like this season dragged on with 4 episodes with some odd pacing choices. There are several sections I would've made

• Yeah, from Season 2 I think I was talking about how the games need to be complete before realeasing ep 1 (less conflicting stories due to changes inbetween episodes). It seems as though the company was just thinking of the moment or something like that.

God bless you.

If they didn’t have focused on to many games on 2016/2017 them TFS would’ve been longer like (Guardians of the Galaxy ) which nap but are

• Yeah but I believe with another episode they wouldn't have had to compress and have things happen suddenly. They would have built up to that.

God bless you.

God, Episode 4 had the most dragged out pacing ever in a TT episode. The last hour was criminally egregious.

• But with 5 episodes I think they could have had more of a plot. More character development and a better story overall.

God bless you.

Tbh they easily could’ve done only 3 episodes. Trim out the unnecessary bits in Suffer the Children and then split up Broken Toys and give t

• Short of a full on war of communities culminating into a climatic showdown between Clementine V Lily it would've been quite difficult.

They should have saved the bulk or entirety of the Delta mission for EP4 which would've also extracted most of the substance from EP3.

No, they had enough for a lot more stories (such as the Delta) but by compressing them it felt incomplete in my opinion. Thank you for the comment. God bless you.

• I don't think so. Take away the collectables and replace them with side missions (like S1) and then keep most of everything else the same.

God bless you.

Chibikid posted: »

Short of a full on war of communities culminating into a climatic showdown between Clementine V Lily it would've been quite difficult. Th

• Holy shit, I see another reason why both Batman games turned out so well--for the most part, they were the ONLY games Telltale was working on at their time.
    What's weird, though, is that so was A New Frontier to an extent.

• For the most part, yeah. Of course for S1 there was Michonne and ANF interfering, and S2 had GOTG and MCSM S2 interfering. So, not really, but it definitely had the most attention from greater Telltale/resources and whatnot.

Holy shit, I see another reason why both Batman games turned out so well--for the most part, they were the ONLY games Telltale was working on at their time. What's weird, though, is that so was A New Frontier to an extent.

• Uh, you wanna check those dates again buddy?

For the most part, yeah. Of course for S1 there was Michonne and ANF interfering, and S2 had GOTG and MCSM S2 interfering. So, not really, but it definitely had the most attention from greater Telltale/resources and whatnot.

• Bman S1 was from August to December, right? And we know ANF had been worked on/played around with by many Telltale staff for most, if not all, of 2016. I don't think Michonne would have affected it too much. Bman S2 was from August 2017 to March 2018, right? So GOTG and MCSM S2 would have also affected it.

So, not really, but it definitely had the most attention from greater Telltale/resources and whatnot. Definitely wasn't the only game they were working on at the time, but because of how Telltale was structured, there were teams of developers who would get shifted from project to project. Also, I sometimes just feel like the people who worked on Batman, were just really good at making Batman content, and not so much Walking Dead ahem kent mudle

Uh, you wanna check those dates again buddy?

• edited June 2019

Oh, okay, I got Batman mixed up with TWDG. My bad! :sweat_smile:

To be fair, I kinda had a theory that at least some of the people working on the Walking Dead simply didn't want to have to work on it.

Bman S1 was from August to December, right? And we know ANF had been worked on/played around with by many Telltale staff for most, if not al

• edited June 2019

There in no way was enough story involved for there to be an episode 5. The whole season just seemed poorly planned out in general and if its true that a big reason for a lack of a fifth episode was because they couldn't afford it than the entire season should have just been scrapped and instead put the effort into finding ways to compensate employees after the inevitable closing.

People posting videos of these know nothing youtubers is getting tiresome.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.