• edited September 2012
    HAcoreRD wrote: »
    Andy ST. John's reaction to Carley dying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bp0W0OdiDw

/plug

lol it works because they're both night scenes
  • edited September 2012
    bakajin wrote: »
    I'm an avid fan of the books. Given that the producers intended for the game to be adhere to canon as opposed to the television series, it's helpful for people to read the books first or along side. It is doesn't mean they have to read them to enjoy the game. If TT wants people to get a feel of the books from playing the game, that's cool, but let those who've only played the game come to that place at their own pace. They may find that Kirkman's vision is not for them. They may appreciate the game aspects, the RPG-lite stuff, more than the grim worldview of the books. No point in crucifying those who have a different vision of a ZA from those of us who've bought into Kirkman's view.

(and even though I like the books I haven't bought into Kirkman's vision completely)

Your original. ^ I then ask if this implies a sorter translation to cater to newbies.
    bakajin wrote: »
    I don't see how you got there from what I said. Letting people get there on their own means that if they get it, they will come to appreciate Kirkman's view eventually. If TWD is not for them, it isn't. Reading the books isn't going to "educate" them on how to be a proper fan.

It's a pretty safe jump that someone who isn't sold on Kirkman's vision and sides with fans who are new to the series and put off by the "hardcore ruleset" would advocate a tamer take of the series.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a bit of shutout. A good series should alienate its fans now and again and give them something to think about. Remember in How I Met Your Mother when Marshall's dad died in a huge downer ending? Remember Buffy Season 6? Remember Serenity? I lean pretty close to the "kill them all" idea, and roll my eyes when someone predictably cries foul.

Should reading the books be required? No, you're right on that one. But people should be a little less sensitive to the idea that people can die in their favorite stories.
  • edited September 2012
    Should reading the books be required? No, you're right on that one. But people should be a little less sensitive to the idea that people can die in their favorite stories.

I agree 10 million%, my only take is that people are coming here from the TV series? Things are going at a lot slower pace in that.

Even if I didnt read the comics; I'd still applaud TTG for taking everyone out of their comfort zone. It wouldnt be realistic expecting 5 totally normal people to survive the start of a ZA, remember this is happening at the same time or a little earlier than the start of the source material. No one has any idea what or why this is going on, they're running off fear and a survival mode mentality
  • edited September 2012
    Nihilism for nihilism's sake (or, to get a rise out of fans or viewers) never makes for good storytelling. That's why I haven't completely bought into what Kirkman does, as when he said he killed off Tyreese, then responded to the many complaints (and I'm paraphrasing) everyone dies in this book. I'd have felt better with "Tyreese's death will make Rick a stronger leader." I know he was responding to some race issues there, and well we don't have to go into that here seeing as we are all happily playing as Lee :).

I think it's a stretch to interpret my statement as hoping to "cater" to newbies or even being on their "side." I don't see that there's sides to this thing. I just don't get complaining that they should be less sensitive.

And I'll add, I totally get being defensive about TWD especially if you've been with the books before the show and the show before the game. It's easy to get frustrated with those who "don't get it." Still, it is art, which is open to interpretation.
  • edited September 2012
    HAcoreRD wrote: »
    Andy ST. John's reaction to Carley dying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bp0W0OdiDw

/plug

hahahah :) Well played.
  • edited September 2012
    what kirkman does isn't new, who watches a horror film and expects everyone to live?
    the only shocking thing kirkman could do would be to kill rick
  • edited September 2012
    That wouldn't even be shocking, he's hinted it might happen.
  • edited September 2012
    DreadMagus wrote: »
    That wouldn't even be shocking, he's hinted it might happen.

i guess, but it would probably be story suicide, who are you supposed to care about if he dies?
  • edited September 2012
    Which is why it probably won't happen.
  • edited September 2012
    Which is why it probably won't happen.

Until the series finale.
  • edited September 2012
    True dat.
  • edited September 2012
    I found myself thinking an interesting thought today. With all that hype about Clem, how she is the only one left to care about, I grew somewhat aggressive toward her.
    It is something like 'you survived, while Carley does not get to live'. I guess it's jealousy. It's irrational, it's unpleasant, but I can't get over it somehow.
  • edited September 2012
    Yep I sort of felt the same at first to ben. I also made me SUPER protective of the characters I actually care about.
  • edited September 2012
    Maugly wrote: »
    I found myself thinking an interesting thought today. With all that hype about Clem, how she is the only one left to care about, I grew somewhat aggressive toward her.
    It is something like 'you survived, while Carley does not get to live'. I guess it's jealousy. It's irrational, it's unpleasant, but I can't get over it somehow.

Cause everyone outside Ep 1 is 'an outsider' to 'your group', imo.
    The bond you feel when you first meet everyone, hear their stories and how everyone came together in the drugstore (post Duck) made me feel like 'ok I think this group can actually make it through this.' When they die, naturally no one can take their place so these other people just feel like 'new recruits' to me until we go through some real crazy stuff with them, fuel tank didnt really count to me, I was still eyeing them over
  • edited September 2012
    It'll get easier as time goes on.

How many stages of grief are there again?
  • edited September 2012
    It does look she got shot in the cheek but do people really think Carley come back with half of her face ripped and help Lee/Clem at Episode 5??
  • edited September 2012
    FoxxyFox wrote: »
    It does look she got shot in the cheek but do people really think Carley come back with half of her face ripped and help Lee/Clem at Episode 5??

There are no major organs in the cheek region...crushing people's hopes leads to fake accounts being created and troll hunts then ensue. It's better to leave people to their dreams
  • edited September 2012
    It'll get easier as time goes on.

How many stages of grief are there again?

Too many. :(
  • edited September 2012
    Carley can't really be dead... WHY WOULD ANYONE KILL CARLEY??? Please give her back, I'll do anything... Ugh, I just can't live without her. But she's gone and I'll always remember her.
  • edited September 2012
    Carley can't really be dead... WHY WOULD ANYONE KILL CARLEY??? Please give her back, I'll do anything... Ugh, I just can't live without her. But she's gone and I'll always remember her.

Don't you start. Shall I put you out of your misery? Can I? Can I please?
  • edited September 2012
    .....irony......
    ....sarcasm......

I agree they should add on to the game to give us an option to bring Carley back. More than enough people are PO'ed about her death that it'd probably be a good thing.
  • edited September 2012
    Cyreen wrote: »
    Don't you start. Shall I put you out of your misery? Can I? Can I please?

Sure, but don't shoot me in the cheek. I'll just survive.
  • edited September 2012
    Sure, but don't shoot me in the cheek. I'll just survive.

Wanna do the walker thing? Short list anyone you want to chew on?
  • edited September 2012
    At the very minimum she was unconscious and bleeding (if she survived) and there were walkers on the road.

She's dead, Jim. Dead, dead, dead, deadski. Gone. Afterlife Kids. Deceased.

Edit: It just occurred to me that this revelation might be a bit cruel. So... Hold onto that hope, dude. You never know. Stranger things have happened in horror stories.

Maybe she'll show up like Samuel L Jackson did at the end of the Long Kiss Goodnight....

Carley (with Eye-patch and in a big ass car) "You can't keel me, motherfuckers!"
  • edited September 2012
    and also disarmed.: (
  • edited September 2012
    Head wounds bleed out a lot. Best case scenario, Carley bled to death on the side of the road, turned and is hunting Lilly down.
  • edited September 2012
    Cyreen wrote: »
    Head wounds bleed out a lot. Best case scenario, Carley bled to death on the side of the road, turned and is hunting Lilly down.

yeah, i know this is fiction so anything could happen, but seriously she is dead, they would have helped her if they weren't 100% sure she was dead by just looking at her
  • edited September 2012
    Nah, dude, it's unconscious.

If she had regained consciousness, she'd have been severely weakened.

I suppose it is possible, but the odds are really really really not in her favor.

The head has a LOT of blood flow to it, it's why head wounds are so bloody.

Assuming she survived, regained consciousness "and" didn't get bitten or gnawed on.... She has no weapon, just the clothes on her back. No vehicle. No supplies. No way to effectively treat her wound. No map. No light. And no one to help her.

That's a horrible position to be in.

There are fates worse than death.

even if she lived she could only live a few hours and all of that would be spent gargling blood and gasping for air.

and even if it was the luckiest shot in the world and ricochet off her gold tooth she would still have a hole in her face and she would be alone unarmed and injured.

but what the hell,
    Maybe Doug survived his attack at the pharmacy and transformed into Rambo Doug, he hones his skills of brutal zombie killing and field medicine for a few months until out of pure luck he finds Carley, she spits out her lucky gold tooth and says "Doug! I should have said this earlier, but i love you, will you be my Rambo Doug husband "
    Doug says "the first known case of a gold tooth is reported to be in 1593"
    "DOUG!!" Carley snaps
    "oh, yeah.. of course i will be your Rambo Doug husband" he smiles

and they all lived happily killing zombies ever after
    THE END
  • edited September 2012
    Why Carley, WHY? *snip*

BTW, this just proves the developers lazyness and low effort / lack of developers.

Why? Because they kill the two characters who we save , so they don´t have to do the script and all for both again for the next episode. Fuck your lazyness and lack of money / developers !

You all are saying we are complaining about a good character like Carley die, but its not only that. Like I said, that implies that they don´t wanna put effort on our choices (two different characters by your choices means two different stories, they can´t do that ?!! fuck !) and story, which means less money for them to make the game, less work... Can´t you understand that?

And, as you can see, none of your choices makes sense, because the end of the story and the story itself is ALWAYS the same, no matter what we do. That sucks, and we all know it :(

I hope that they get a better team for season 2 so they can make a real game with real choices...
  • edited September 2012
    For the love of GOD.................this is walking dead...as much as it pains me Carly go....this is normal in this world...even more gruesome....be glad she didn't get chewed up in pieces or got bashed in her head repeatedly with a baseball bat wrapped in spikes or got raped by bandits and then got executed...
  • edited September 2012
    Ok, I refuse to believe any normal person can be this obsessed over a video-game character for so long after the episode has been out. I call trolls on this one. I'm outta here.
  • edited September 2012
    Um...didn't Doug die too? I haven't seen all that many (or ANY, for that matter) Doug fans begging TT to bring him back. He's just as good as Carley ya know.
  • edited September 2012
    No, I don't know.

Can he headshot zombies?

Huh?

Can he?

Can he??????

:D
  • edited September 2012
    There's like a 0.1% chance that she's still alive, as I hear someone in the comics and I believe in the show also got shot in the face, but survived as it was really their cheek. My friend thought that that's what happened when he originally saw the scene. Her face was never shown, while Doug's was and was clearly shot in the back. However, she'd need immediate medical help. Plus, I'm not sure why they'd keep Carley while not keeping Doug as their options have gone hand in hand, if that's the correct way to explain it.

Carley became my favorite video game character ever, and I am still really sad about her death even now, weeks later, but I don't think people should get their hopes up, scream at others over a very low possibility, and go as far as bashing the creators. You're only giving them more satisfaction, as getting worked up over a character's death = tells them they've done their job well.

I'd be happy if she was brought back, but I'd be just as happy if she wasn't but was referenced in episodes 4 and 5. It's dumb to make her irrelevant when she was a very vocal group member and almost developed a relationship with Lee. I mean, Lee still has her gun, right? (:

All we can do is wait. Telltale has done a fantastic job so far, in my opinion.
  • edited September 2012
    No, I don't know.

Can he headshot zombies?

Huh?

Can he?

Can he??????

:D

No, but he can handle a mean laser pointer. :P
  • edited September 2012
    im not going to lie
    i was planning on making lee go balls deep in her.
    thats not happening any more
    devastated for lee
  • edited September 2012
    NOOOOOO! NOT DOUGIE!

You can't kill my Doug! I love him! We were made for each other, I can't live without Dougie! I hate you Telltale!
    Are you declaring this a "no old person" zone or something? :p

Don't feed the old people? You're just evil!
  • edited September 2012
    SHE IS GONE!!!!!!!!!!! NOT COMING BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"GET THE FUCK OVER IT!" Even Carley says that lol
  • edited September 2012
    she is dead :)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3292&stc=1&d=1348350003
  • edited September 2012
    Sick drawing skills, bro :D
This discussion has been closed.