Game of Thrones Season 2 Announced (Future news will be found at the new Pre-Season news thread)

Comments

• Nah I'm good right here. Deal with it.

• The books are still ongoing, plus HBO is pursuing several spin-off tv shows....so I doubt that a lack of interest will be the issue.

In fact, I think season 2 would be MORE interesting after the tv show ends (can fully tie in the conclusion of the Forrester family story with the finalization of the larger GoT plot).

JakeSt123 posted: »

The GOT show ends next year, so we're basically fucked as it is. Who's gonna be interested once that's over?

• Well.... I'm glad they announced Walking dead S4 so soon, but so disappointed at the same time :(

We were baited HARD ladies and gents.

• edited July 2017

If he isnt kidding and actually is meeting with TT at some point, I have a sneaking suspicion their reps are doing it to tell him the series is canceled

• huh, you are ready for another L
    idk whats worse, telltale with GOT or shady records with eminem...

ranger563 posted: »

https://twitter.com/AEJORDAN/status/887707210805018624 If he isnt kidding and actually is meeting with TT at some point, I have a sneaking suspicion their reps are doing it to tell him the series is canceled

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

I don't think they wiuld fly them all the way over to their office just to tell them the game was cancelled, something like that would be done by phone, skype call or email so he could be going there for another reason.

https://twitter.com/AEJORDAN/status/887707210805018624 If he isnt kidding and actually is meeting with TT at some point, I have a sneaking suspicion their reps are doing it to tell him the series is canceled

• who's waiting a month, bring me da batman in da house.

OzzyUK posted: »

I don't think they wiuld fly them all the way over to their office just to tell them the game was cancelled, something like that would be done by phone, skype call or email so he could be going there for another reason.

• This is great at least this actor is keeping us informed and hinting but could that potentially mean telltale have only just started working on it if that's even what they are doing

• Hey, uh, what's Telltale's Game of Thrones...?

It's been so long, feels like the name rings a bell but it just doesn't... sound like it's real...

I've only heard legends of 'Silence is a valid option' but, never like this. Not like this.

• He's probably being asked to play a character in TWD / TWAU...

• GAME OF THRONES SEASON 2 WAS CONFIRMED BEFORE TWAU SEASON 2 THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR NO UPDATE ON THRONES S2

Hang on guys. Just because we didn't get Season 2 doesn't mean it's dead. Wolf Among Us has been waiting longer, so after that we should be good.

• Guys, remember there's still comic con ahead (and PAX I guess) where they said there would be news. I am extremely reluctant to get my hopes up, I certainly don't feel like getting disappointed again, but there's that.

I felt like this video was meant to announce series not yet, well, announced. GoT was announced therefore it may not have fit into this video.

There's still comic con ahead.

There's still comic con ahead.

cries
  • L incoming watch out

Guys, remember there's still comic con ahead (and PAX I guess) where they said there would be news. I am extremely reluctant to get my hopes

• Then grow up.

Nah I'm good right here. Deal with it.

• Last I checked, Wolf Among Us didn't end on a cliffhanger with just about nothing resolved. Guess what Game of Thrones did?

Hang on guys. Just because we didn't get Season 2 doesn't mean it's dead. Wolf Among Us has been waiting longer, so after that we should be good.

• Well done TTG, once again u keep making me lost hope in your games. After the failure the s2 and s3 of TWD i was hoping u stopped with that series and get back to your best at date to me, GoT (after s1 of TWD). But instead you prefered to spend your time doing another TWD season and doing a season 2 to a game that has selled less, Batman. Thank you for one more let down TTG, The Winter as come indeed.

• imo, i liked batman and we all deeply wanted a 2nd season
    but WTF?! twd...

gcardoso21 posted: »

Well done TTG, once again u keep making me lost hope in your games. After the failure the s2 and s3 of TWD i was hoping u stopped with that

• Nope if true why would he say iron from ice at the end

He's probably being asked to play a character in TWD / TWAU...

• right...

Alex-twdg posted: »

Nope if true why would he say iron from ice at the end

• Telltale will not remember this.

gcardoso21 posted: »

Well done TTG, once again u keep making me lost hope in your games. After the failure the s2 and s3 of TWD i was hoping u stopped with that

• died 7 hours ago 4 me

Telltale will not remember this.

• I remember seeing the end of this video and getting so fucking hyped for the finale.

• Coming from Asher himself. Maybe there's light at the end of the tunnel. Or a White Walker (Telltale).

• Well...See you guys in 2018 :(

• Are you leaving? Why?

Well...See you guys in 2018

• Nah I am not leaving. I am just saying we are probably going to receive news about GoT in 2018.

Are you leaving? Why?

• Guys what are the next events telltale have and when are they? (Possible time for information)

• I've seen some arguments that GRRM and the showrunners are the ones blocking Season 2 from being released and that the North Grove would spoil what's ahead of the show and books. If that's the case, interest for the game could wane especially with the show ending in the next year or so.

• I seriously doubt this. If this would be the case, Telltale would have never been allowed to make the game in the first place as there is just no way GRRM or the showrunners would greenlight a side project that heavily includes a spoiler for future events in the franchises main story. Telltale announced the deal as a multi-year, multi-title thing, meaning they secured at least the right to make a second season and I doubt they have not been required to give the ones they made the deal with (probably some executives from HBO and not D&D themselves) at least a basic outline of their intended storyline, to make sure it won't clash with future plan for the show. If the North Grove holds any importance for the endgame against the White Walkers, nobody would have given Telltale permission to use it in the game. They had to know that from the very beginning, so I highly doubt they ever made plans to connect the North Grove to the coming war against the White Walker. And even on the unlikely chance they did and are now blocked from making the second season because nobody thought about this, how hard would it be to just change this detail to something that is approved of by the showrunners? Given that we have no idea what the big deal about the North Grove is, they can just change it to anything that does not spoil the future of the show and then claim that this has been the plan all along.

No, Season 2 is not blocked from being released, it's just that Telltale cannot be bothered to at least do the only decent thing and give us an update on the status of the project. Kevin Bruner quite clearly pulled a Sean Murray when he said that Season 2 is in development right after Season 1 ended and now, nobody wants to be the bad guy and confirm that this is not the case, so they just give us a ridiculous case of the silent treatment. Maybe it will happen in the future, considering that Wolf has gotten a sequel after an even longer time. And Wolf, despite being based on a way smaller franchise, has never lost the interest of the community, so I don't see why Thrones would be any different. Sure, the show is ending in late 2018/early 2019 (depending on when they release it, they already confirmed it will be filmed and therefore aired later than usual), but Game of Thrones has been a massive pop culture phenomenon. I am pretty sure the show will be talked about for years to come, there are the spin-offs to be developed and the books are not finished either. The Fables comics have finished their run in 2015, if I am not mistaken, and people are still interested in Wolf Season 2. Thrones still has its fanbase, now it is Telltale's move to finally make good on their promise and start developing the second season. As disappointed and annoyed as I am by them continuing to outright bait us every single time, the Wolf announcement gave me at least a little bit of hope that they do not forget their older franchises. It's just that they probably don't consider two years without any news to be all that much of a big thing, whereas we, who wait urgently for any bit of mention, obviously feel differently on this.

I've seen some arguments that GRRM and the showrunners are the ones blocking Season 2 from being released and that the North Grove would spo

• I'll that for Tales of Borderlands they clearly stated that it was up to the creators of Borderlands to allow them to do a second season.
    While for GoT they never stated such things.

I seriously doubt this. If this would be the case, Telltale would have never been allowed to make the game in the first place as there is ju

• edited July 2017

I agree that "interest waning after the tv show" is not a valid argument, especially considering that Wolf is getting a sequel.

Maybe the original plan was to release multiple seasons, but this is an expensive (hiring actors from the show) and complicated (so many determinant characters) game to produce....and the sales weren't that great, correct? I know Season 1 was not one of the most popular Telltale titles on Steam.

So if the success of the first season was not what they expected, maybe they decided to pursue only one (final) season? And if thats the case, isn't it feasible that they would want to release it AFTER season 8 so that the end of the Forrester story can coincide with the end of the show?

And regarding the North Grove, it wouldn't have to be essential to the plot of the show in order to spoil things....blood magic and white walkers are an important part of that story line...don't you think they would have to get into more lore to address these threats? We still have very limited answers regarding these topics from the tv show.

I seriously doubt this. If this would be the case, Telltale would have never been allowed to make the game in the first place as there is ju

• If we receive news at all, I'm starting to think the game has been canceled.

Nah I am not leaving. I am just saying we are probably going to receive news about GoT in 2018.

• In terms of sheer sales, I checked SteamSpy (don't know how reliable that one is) and it seems Thrones sold more than three times as many copies as Batman and almost three times as many as A New Frontier and Minecraft. It is Telltale's 7th best selling game, after TWD Season 1 and 2, Wolf, Poker Night Season 1 and 2 and Tales. I do agree with the cost aspect though, we do not know how expensive the show actors have been. I imagine that it can be quite costly to get Natalie Dormer or Peter Dinklage. The easy solution for that would be to keep involvement from show characters at a minimum, considering that they are generally among the least well-regarded things about Season 1. Anything with Thrones on it sells well even if it doesn't feature voice acting from Kit Harington. That being said, I imagine the licence itself to be rather costly, yet with how big Telltale has become and them being able to secure deals with DC and Marvel, that should be affordable.

However, I fully agree they might wish to finish the Forrester story in Season 2. I still have hopes for Season 2, but I have absolutely no hopes for Season 3. Maybe they wish to do a timeskip of several years, showing an older Talia and Ryon, maybe a fully healed Rodrik/Asher (even if their healing process would be an easy way of not featuring them much in the story without killing them off) still in the process of reclaiming Ironrath from the Whitehills or showing their role in the coming war against the White Walkers. Such a thing obviously won't be possible before Season 8 hasn't been finished. However, even in that case, a statement regarding the status of Thrones as they gave one for Tales, something along the lines of "We have to wait until the show has reached a certain event", can be expected after two years of keeping us waiting. Job considered it appropriate to inform the Tales fanbase about the problems involved with making a possible Season 2, so I wonder what keeps him from doing the same for Thrones. Come to think of it though, a game taking place in the aftermath of the show could actually be quite intriguing, while also giving Telltale way more openings to include their own ideas.

About the spoiler thing, I actually just remembered there has been another Thrones videogame back in 2012, developed by Cyanide, which established a precedence for this very topic. That game featured, among other things, a bastard daughter of the Mad King, meaning a Targaryen, who later herself becomes pregnant by Robert Baratheon and gives birth to his child. This means, they have featured a baby in their game that has a certain claim to the throne from two royal bloodlines. Of course, the existence of such a child is massive in the setting and makes the game quite clearly non-canon to the events of the show. If they have been allowed to feature such a massive change to the official canon in their game, Telltale could easily feature their own explanations for stuff like blood magic and simply be satisfied with declaring the game non-canon if the show later uses a different explanation, if there is ever going to be such an explanation at all. I doubt they wouldn't be able to secure the same deal Cyanide has made, especially if they plan to feature themes that have not been fully explained in the canon yet. Someone gave them permission to use the North Grove and I doubt nobody asked just what the deal is with that place. And if it should be a problem, then they can always just focus on the Forrester's and Ironrath, ignoring much of the North Grove mystery, as cheap a solution as that would be. Still better than two years of silence.

Pahn711 posted: »

I agree that "interest waning after the tv show" is not a valid argument, especially considering that Wolf is getting a sequel. Maybe the

• edited July 2017

Considering the popularity of the GoT franchise and the cost of collaborating with the HBO cast, being the 7th best selling Telltale game is a major letdown! That said...I like the fact that they made a concerted effort to connect directly to the tv show. Changing that to cut costs for the sequel would be disappointing to a lot of fans I bet.

Season 1 started off going back in time a bit to address the repercussions of the Red Wedding on the Forrester family. Taking a similar path with Season 2, the key event would have to be the Battle of the Bastards. They could address the role that the surviving Forresters play in the events leading up to this battle (and at its culmination, a final showdown with House Whitehill could finally be resolved). Then the focus can shift to the North Grove and the battle with the Night King. Definitely plenty of material to work with!

As to your comment about non-canon events from other games....the difference is that this game is so closely tied to the HBO version. That means less poetic license to overstep. And I disagree that a "cheap solution" to the North Grove mystery is better than silence...if we are only getting one more season, then I want a fulfilling story that answers ALL the lingering questions! Shouldn't all true fans want this? If it can be provided after Season 8 airs, then it should be well worth the wait!

In terms of sheer sales, I checked SteamSpy (don't know how reliable that one is) and it seems Thrones sold more than three times as many co

• Personally, I'm in the camp that the reason why it hasn't been released (but not necessarily why it hasn't gotten any news) is because Season 2 will (probably) give the Forresters a proper conclusion. Season 1 of the game was the end of Season 3 to the very end of Season 4. It should be noted that Season 5 released and finished in the middle of the episodic releases.

We are now at the beginning of Season 7, which in the timeline I guess like 2+ years away. We'll get to Season 8 in 2018 or 2019. If the game started releasing today, it could only ever get up to the latest episode, and not past it. Much like it is with the Walking Dead games, I doubt Telltale is allowed to go past where the show is, else it would spoil it.

Now what is the point here InGen? Well, perhaps Telltale is intentionally waiting for the show to get closer to ending (say late 2018) so they can give the Forresters a proper conclusion. It wouldn't be very good (unless there's a 3rd season, but even though probably not) if we only got up to the Battle of the Bastards and the stuff immediately following it and they said "Well, that's it." No, Telltale probably wants to be able to finish the Forrester story along with the rest of the show. Again, it would suck if we never got to see what happened to them when there was like a season of the show left.

I imagine Season 2 will have a significant timeskip and catch up to the show rapidly, with the events of Season 6 being earlier on and 7 and 8 be later. If so, it would support my theory because it be an easy way for Telltale to not only avoid the healing of Rodrik and Asher, but it could get them further along so the story isn't too stretched out.

TL;DR Telltale might be intentionally holding the game back so they can end the story of the Forresters when the show ends (timeline wise).

• I've only heard legends of 'Silence is a valid option' but, never like this. Not like this.

I think they succeeded to copy GRRM's style so much that they even copied his laziness to publish his work.

Glad to see you around btw ;)

Kateis posted: »

Hey, uh, what's Telltale's Game of Thrones...? It's been so long, feels like the name rings a bell but it just doesn't... sound like it's real... I've only heard legends of 'Silence is a valid option' but, never like this. Not like this.

• Well, it is still far better than even the newest entry in Telltale's flagship franchise, so while the sales might have not been as good as some might have expected, it still sold better than any game coming after it. When it comes to the connections to the show, I must say I always enjoyed the game most when these connections weren't as super apparent. I loved Gared's Red Wedding opening, but enjoyed things the most when we had original characters interacting with each other, especially at Ironrath. That was the part of the story I have truly fallen in love with. I wouldn't mind having some show characters. Depending on the time the game is set, Jon Snow would make sense or maybe Dany and/or Tyrion if they give us Malcolm as a playable character. However, having the show characters in major roles can be a problem. For example, Mira's early storyline has lost a lot for me as I knew that her alliance with Tyrion would be a problem. She only became my favourite after the Purple Wedding, when I wasn't so sure anymore that her actions would result in massive problems for her no matter what. And I think we both know the problem with Ramsay. If they use show characters in Season 2, then only in smaller roles please, similar to how they used Daenerys, who actually worked quite well in her small role. Locations are a different thing, I'd be disappointed if we don't get to see King's Landing again.

That said, I'd certainly want an entire season dealing mostly with the Forrester-Whitehill conflict. That has been the main story of Season 1 and resolving that in the first couple of episodes and then skipping to the White Walker situation would feel anticlimactic and disappointing to me. If they decide to include a timeskip, what I would prefer would be having the Whitehills still in power, with us actually getting to see the events that cause House Forrester to regain enough strength to reclaim their home. I want to see how they deal with the situation after the fall of Ironrath. That being said, maybe the Battle of the Bastards could indeed be used as sort of an opening sequence. After that, the Stark's are back in power and the Forrester's, who have so far only barely managed to survive, are finally in a position where they can actually fight back once again. I think there could still be a full season worth of content coming from that. The White Walker war, as important as it is in the show, has barely played a role in the game, so a true continuation of Season 1 should first of all focus on giving a satisfying conclusion to the storylines that mattered there. It would feel odd to have a continuation of Season 1 dealing with this completely different situation that players of the game, especially the amount that has never watched the show, feels no investment in.

When it comes to the North Grove, I mean I would prefer a cheap solution far more than no solution at all. If we get only one more season, then I would very much love one that answers every question to our full satisfaction, trust me. In that case, I would be fully willing to wait for years to come, as long as I know that there is eventually going to be a conclusion for sure, a Season 2 that is actually going to be released. If the only alternative is never getting a Season 2 though, then having a disappointing conclusion to the North Grove storyline would be preferrable to me, as long as the rest of Season 2 does not disappoint. I want a satisfying conclusion in every aspect, but most importantly, I want a conclusion at all instead of being left hanging.

Pahn711 posted: »

Considering the popularity of the GoT franchise and the cost of collaborating with the HBO cast, being the 7th best selling Telltale game is

• edited July 2017

If the Battle of the Bastards were used as an opening sequence, then we would be skipping over plenty of events in-between that the Forresters could be involved in. More importantly, it signals the fall of the Boltons, which by association could also mean the fall of the Whitehills...that would be an impediment to your desire to have an entire season focused on the Forrester-Whitehill conflict, don't you think?

The main theme of the tv show seems to be heading towards this idea that all the petty in-fighting between houses vying for power is both self-destructive and counter-productive to the true threat: the Night's King. So to have an entire season dealing with the Forrester-Whitehill rivalry seems incredibly short-sighted to me....

Remember Rodrik's visit to Highpoint in Episode 4? Gywn shows him an emblem that includes both the Forrester and Whitehill sigil together, indicating that their houses were close once...I think this is a very important sign for the future....the two houses need to resolve their differences and join forces against the true threat. Whether that plot point comes to fruition or not, I think the story would be best served by continuing the conflict between the two houses for a few episodes, with it being resolved after the Battle of the Bastards (maybe episode 3 or 4)? Then the focus can shift to unifying the North and fighting the real war!

Well, it is still far better than even the newest entry in Telltale's flagship franchise, so while the sales might have not been as good as

• They have comic con... like this week or the next, where they promised some news on Guardians. But really, only Guardians? I find that hard to believe. I have at least little hope for something on GoT, maybe just saying that we are working on it would suffice.

Alex-twdg posted: »

Guys what are the next events telltale have and when are they? (Possible time for information)

• You have a point man but follow the show storyline "to the letter" anoys me a lot.The Cyanide game's story was so good cause his original storyline(The Sarwyck's inheritance conflict,Mors and the field of fire...)where you can create new lore freely,Telltale's surrounded the story with show actors that cut off the story with their plot armour(plus they are expensive...).
    I can't predict their next movements but I pray for a direct continuation of the story and not a fucking time skip,that's too lazy even for them...

The thing that let me out of the topic were the tweets of Alex Jordan~Asher's voice actor?~That seemed a near release date even claiming he was reunite with telltalegames.
    Was this man tricked?
    Or are really news near?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.