Season Two AU by Badgershite (Fan-made)

1535455565759»

Comments

• I'm gonna hazard a guess and say they are someone with ties to House Greyson?

JakeSt123 posted: »

I know what it is, and it's very interesting - and there's no telling how people would react. I think the pieces are already out there, some

• I mean they are a northerner, but not a Greyson. Gotta think of some pretty bad dudes who might put a bastard in another man's wife.

• My man! Glad you enjoyed it : )

Harian96 posted: »

I just binged through the entire AU and felt more satisfied at the end than I did with the game.

• The scene where Rodrik has the dream about Mira is by far my favorite scene. That was the turning point when I realized I wasn't just reading a normal fanfiction.

Hmmm, it's a tough question. Honestly I'd rather hear what other peoples' favourite scenes were instead of my own, but a lot of my personal

• edited June 2017

I just thumbed through this fanfiction in a couple days, and boy, can I say I am more than impressed. It was at least just as good as the game, and if Season 2 never comes out, I'll happily consider this canon. Although I always did find it a bit off putting the changes that were made (Harys being alive, Rodrik not being found by Talia and Royland) but the story wasn't made the worse for it.

All the original characters are just as compelling as the ones from the game, especially Namond Glenmore for me. The scene where he's praying to try to become a better man really knocked it out of the park for me and he's definitely my favorite character. Torrhen was also very interesting, however I always thought that he would have been even more interesting had we viewed him from an outside perspective such as Gwyn or Greta instead of his being a POV.

As I said above, the scene where Rodrik sees a vision of Mira really hit home for me. Just the fact that we never got to see them together other than that time really sucked. I actually prefer my canon ending to be where Mira marries Morgryn and goes to Ironrath, because while it sucks in the moment, Mira being alive lends to a lot more story opportunities than the coal boy, however, I thought you did fine with that ending too. I loved Tom's part in the story, and thought his sacrifice at the end fit him really well.

While I love how happy it all ended up, I can't help but feel it was too happy, after all this is Game of Thrones. Lyarra was really the only significant death at least towards the end of the story, (fuck you for that by the way Lyarra was great) and maybe it makes me twisted, but I honestly wish there had been more casualties. I kept thinking that Roslin was going to get it or Greta to send Torrhen over the edge. While it would have sucked, it would have made for a great spectacle.

But alas, now I'm really confused over that ending. I've noticed you haven't explained it, and I would really like to know what it meant. Does that mean that Talia is cursed now, or does she have powers now like Elsera? Is there any chance of a Season 3 AU do you think? I know there wasn't too much of a following toward the end, but if you were to keep going I would certainly hop on board and try to get as many as I can to do so also.

Also, so I'm planning on writing a book about Telltale's Game of Thrones to be a companion book beside A Song of Ice and Fire just like the game sits beside the show. I will call the first book, "A Ballad of Brothers." If Season 2 doesn't come out by the time I finish this book, might you be willing to let me adapt this AU into book version? I would naturally have to change a few things to fit with the choices in my book (Mira lives, Duncan lives and is the traitor) but it will be largely based off of this story. Would that be cool? Not to be rude. I don't want to use your work without your permission.

• edited June 2017

Although I always did find it a bit off putting the changes that were made (Harys being alive, Rodrik not being found by Talia and Royland) but the story wasn't made the worse for it.

This was down to me starting the whole thing before Episode 6 came out, based on the theory that Talia and Royland would end up on their own. I suppose I got the siege right, but the outcome wasn't 100%.

Torrhen was also very interesting, however I always thought that he would have been even more interesting had we viewed him from an outside perspective such as Gwyn or Greta instead of his being a POV.

I didn't really assign a Highpoint POV, but Torrhen was the centre of it I suppose -- though there were those scenes without him later down the line.

As I said above, the scene where Rodrik sees a vision of Mira really hit home for me. Just the fact that we never got to see them together other than that time really sucked. I actually prefer my canon ending to be where Mira marries Morgryn and goes to Ironrath, because while it sucks in the moment, Mira being alive lends to a lot more story opportunities than the coal boy, however, I thought you did fine with that ending too. I loved Tom's part in the story, and thought his sacrifice at the end fit him really well.

A lot of the 'later' stuff did follow my choices because I recalled them best and found it easier to follow along from them, which is why we got Tom and not Mira. After the fact I came up with a little "What If" Mira plotline that never came to fruition, much like how I never got around to finishing Gared's prologue detailing him getting back to the North from the North Grove. IIRC I think she was gonna be rescued by Rodrik when he goes to kill Morgryn, but helps assist him kill the guy, then the two head for Timberwatch and Mira stays behind. I think she was gonna have more diplomatic stuff there - probably would've seen more of Edmure Glenmore and the Greysons.

While I love how happy it all ended up, I can't help but feel it was too happy, after all this is Game of Thrones. Lyarra was really the only significant death at least towards the end of the story, (fuck you for that by the way Lyarra was great) and maybe it makes me twisted, but I honestly wish there had been more casualties.

It's kind of bittersweet. Yeah, the Forresters lived, but they have next to no men, Rodrik's lacking a hand, Gared's got a limp (which you can't tell from still images but nevertheless), Ryon very likely has brain damage, Talia's got this horrible prophecy looming over her. Plus they've got this 'truce' with the Whitehills, but the Whitehills hold all the power. They have to swallow their pride and cooperate with their worst enemies just for a hope in hell of getting to live for a little while longer, all for the sake of little Harrold Forrester (aka the spawn of Rodrik & Elaena).

But alas, now I'm really confused over that ending. I've noticed you haven't explained it, and I would really like to know what it meant. Does that mean that Talia is cursed now, or does she have powers now like Elsera?

The ending is up to interpretation, really. The 'prophecy' comes from Gerhard Forrester aka Evil Insane Ghost Guy Who Taught Elsera Blood Magic - because Elsera banished him, he could just be pissy and is fucking with everyone's heads, or it's actually telling the truth. Plus the prophecy is vague as hell, so if it's true there are still a ton of candidates to list; those up to date on the S2AU lore (yeah there's a fuckton) will know that the Whitehills are also descended from Gerhard (or rather, his brother Gerold) and are all candidates as well. Whoever the person is they're part of that bloodline and have a scar, which could be anyone - Rodrik has his facial scars, Talia has that burn scar and her eyebrow scar, Ryon's likely scarred after his little fall, Josera has an eyebrow scar, Elsera's hands are likely scared from the amount of times she's performed blood magic, and then we get to the Whitehills - Torrhen, Gryff and Roslin all have scars, too. Not to mention it could be someone who isn't even born yet - Talia even mentioning it to anyone else besides Elsera could end with the House erupting into its own civil war!

But enough waffling, it's up to the reader to decide, really.

Is there any chance of a Season 3 AU do you think? I know there wasn't too much of a following toward the end, but if you were to keep going I would certainly hop on board and try to get as many as I can to do so also.

I think for now I'm burnt out on TTGOT, but I don't like to rule things out. Right now, though, I'm working on a similar project called The Walking Dead: Haven, which you might like if you enjoyed the s2au and like the Walking Dead. It's also easier to read because it comes out chapter by chapter in PDF format. Looks a li'l something like this:
    enter image description here

(personally I think the story is a lot tighter than the s2au thanks to having a co-writer, plus we have a blog so it's easier to locate and read chapters).

might you be willing to let me adapt this AU into book version? I would naturally have to change a few things to fit with the choices in my book (Mira lives, Duncan lives and is the traitor) but it will be largely based off of this story. Would that be cool? Not to be rude. I don't want to use your work without your permission.

Personally I recommend taking your own direction with the characters - not because I'm like "MY STORY WAAH!" or anything, moreso because I found writing the s2au to be a good exercise in developing my storytelling and character development skills and it might help you do the same were you to write a plotline of your own? Plus it makes you feel a lot more invested and proud when you finally finish it. That's my recommendation, at least.

Anyway, thanks for reading - glad you enjoyed it for the most part!

I just thumbed through this fanfiction in a couple days, and boy, can I say I am more than impressed. It was at least just as good as the ga

• edited June 2017

Fair enough then. I do have ideas of my own, just liked yours too. For example, I was going to have Ortengryn survive and live undercover. No one would know he was a maester, and he would cross the world to Asshai by the Shadow to try to find secrets that could help the recovery of House Forrester. It's about time we see that place. Anywho, it might not even matter, since Season 2 may still be released. They do have something they're announcing at E3 alongside Minecraft.

Also I read the first issue of your Walking Dead one. Pretty fuckin neato. As a resident of Nebraska myself, I really appreciate you setting it there. No one ever sets stories here.

Although I always did find it a bit off putting the changes that were made (Harys being alive, Rodrik not being found by Talia and Royland)

• Fair enough then. I do have ideas of my own, just liked yours too. For example, I was going to have Ortengryn survive and live undercover. No one would know he was a maester, and he would cross the world to Asshai by the Shadow to try to find secrets that could help the recovery of House Forrester. It's about time we see that place.

Yeah, that's the sort of thing I mean. If you work with your own ideas, you're not limited to a strict guideline or anything and can do whatever you like haha.

Anywho, it might not even matter, since Season 2 may still be released. They do have something they're announcing at E3 alongside Minecraft.

I don't have a lot of hope (that it will come out, or that it will even be good if it does), but a man can dream, I suppose.

Also I read the first issue of your Walking Dead one. Pretty fuckin neato. As a resident of Nebraska myself, I really appreciate you setting it there. No one ever sets stories here.

A ton of WD content takes place on the East Coast, so we decided on Nebraska so that it could be far away from the current events in the comic/game.

Fair enough then. I do have ideas of my own, just liked yours too. For example, I was going to have Ortengryn survive and live undercover. N

Sign in to comment in this discussion.