Planet of the Apes: Lost Frontier - A Telltale Style Game

Do you like Telltale games? Do you like Planet of the Apes movies? Well, I have just a thing for you:

Honestly I don't know wat to think about it. It has potential but the gameplay they've released looks a bit underwhelming in terms of dialogue and choices.
Also the game is set between the second and third movie of the reboot series and is set to premiere this fall and be about 3 hours long.

Tagged:

Comments

• edited August 2017

I don't think it's worth it if it's so short and you can't control the character at all. It's kind of like The Order 1886, short AAA game with amazing graphics.

• It looks pretty good and interesting. The three hours long bit concerns me though.

• Looks interesting, but the length concerns me as well. Hopefully it isn't priced too high as a 3-hour game..
    I don't know if I'll get it. Wasn't much of a fan of the last movie, and this seems to be a lot like it.

• The length of it is what I dislike and why I will probably not end up getting it.

• I think we need to start drawing a line on what we consider a game.

no control over characters whatsoever

3 hours long

"Slightly interactive" movie sounds like a better term.

• Shortest full priced games aren't worth it. That's for sure.

The length of it is what I dislike and why I will probably not end up getting it.

• inb4 walking dead season 4 is called

The Walking Dead: The Last Frontier

• I really like the idea of the game. I am a huge fan of the more recent Planet of the Apes movies. The setting looks interesting.

But this, it looks really basic with only two choices that are blindly obvious (they have like comfort/confront written beneath them). At least Telltale puts the time in for 4 (although one isn't a lot of work) and gives you some interactivity. 3 hours, and this isn't an episodic series? Means I probably won't buy it, but it still could be good. 3 hour can still be great. Probably not for me though, I'll watch it on YouTube.

Now this could all change if there is game has good replay value. We'll see though.

• 3 hours means they can add more meaningful choices.

I really like the idea of the game. I am a huge fan of the more recent Planet of the Apes movies. The setting looks interesting. But this

• Is this Caesar?

• You really asking that? Their names were in the subtitle!

Tolispro posted: »

Is this Caesar?

• The movies never really caught my attention even though I’ve watched some of them. With a three hour length it most likely won’t be a full priced game. Also movie video games are usually terrible.

• movie video games are usually terrible.

Cough Cough Spider-Man 2, Alien Isolation, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Goldeneye 007 Cough Cough

Creeper1846 posted: »

The movies never really caught my attention even though I’ve watched some of them. With a three hour length it most likely won’t be a full priced game. Also movie video games are usually terrible.

• Again, I'll look at what the reviews say when it comes out, and if they're good, I'll consider buying it.

• stirpicusstirpicus Telltale Alumni

Super interested in the look of this. With the high production value and time that's within approximately "movie" runtime this seems like it's trying to establish itself as an "interactive movie" installment in the franchise. People streaming the new Apes movies on their PS4 or X1 will be able to hop over to this no problem.

Really interesting stuff.

• And that's what? 4 movie games out of 60 others?
    It's not uncommon to think this might flop like many others have before.

But, we'll have to wait and see.

AronDracula posted: »

movie video games are usually terrible. Cough Cough Spider-Man 2, Alien Isolation, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Goldeneye 007 Cough Cough

• Graphics are sorta weird but it looks cool, very Until Dawn-esque.

• edited August 2017

I love story driven games so I'll likely be trying this out. Worst comes to worst at least it'll be different to most games. It really made me faceplam when I saw one of the top voted comments on that youtube video is someone saying "why is't this a 3rd person shooter?"; I know it's only youtube comments but like c'mon people -_-

Hopefully the full game has more colour in it though - the scenes at the 3:40 mark look horrible and lifeless in that hue.

• what does 3 hours have to do with it being considered a game? games can't be short?

I think we need to start drawing a line on what we consider a game. no control over characters whatsoever 3 hours long "Slightly interactive" movie sounds like a better term.

• Is this....is this real?

• edited August 2017

Depends on how they're going to price it.

Joonlar posted: »

what does 3 hours have to do with it being considered a game? games can't be short?

• Seems interesting.

But it's got a short length, not based around humans, seems kind of boring, etc. I don't think I'd pick this up

• Spider Man 2 is terrible even by ps2 standards. Why are people still mentioning it?

movie video games are usually terrible. Cough Cough Spider-Man 2, Alien Isolation, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Goldeneye 007 Cough Cough

• This^

HarjKS posted: »

Seems interesting. But it's got a short length, not based around humans, seems kind of boring, etc. I don't think I'd pick this up

• Interesting! The initial trailer never indicated it was a story driven game like Telltale, and I loved the Planet of the Apes movies. I'll certainly consider giving it a try.

• Movie video games are terrible when they straight up do the movie. This isn't doing that, it's telling a different story (albeit with some similar themes).

Creeper1846 posted: »

The movies never really caught my attention even though I’ve watched some of them. With a three hour length it most likely won’t be a full priced game. Also movie video games are usually terrible.

• So you would consider it a game if it was priced at say $20 but it's no longer a game if it's $60. Sounds properly nonsensical

Depends on how they're going to price it.

• People still consider prolonged cutscenes dressing themselves up as compelling films with distracting DVD-style menu prompts in center-frame to "accentuate" agency as a video game?

As I've said many time previously, games have an identity crisis when it comes to understanding what makes a narrative strength in it's medium so compelling. With films, it's undressing the shots, the composition, the editing techniques, the structural foundation. In novels, it's the use of words strung together, the descriptive form, the pacing of sentence structure. In games, it's control, it's direct agency.

It's not looking at a shitty cutscene of character's popping in (seriously, I saw texture load-ins and pop-ins around 3 times in the span of 6 minutes) or moving the analog stick left or right to pick what is essentially a scene-select on a DVD menu cause that's what apparently amounts to games being more "mature" or "compelling."

While people are justifying "playing" a nearly 3-5 hour slog of yet another Telltale-style snooze-a-thon, I'll be having a blast playing fun narratives that actually have gameplay like Dead Rising or Uncharted 4.

• Control and agency can come in more forms than simply directing the physical movements of a character model. in this case it (ideally) comes from making decisions and having those decision effects future events, then reacting to those results and so on. Decision making is a form of agency, and it can be a fulfilling gameplay loop if handled correctly.

Uncharted 4 may offer you physical control of a character but half of that game was walking in straight lines and climbing ledges, gameplay which was not exactly fulfilling nor necessary in my humble opinion. Personally I've always felt that the Uncharted games are padded with way too much pointless filler "gameplay". Each game in that series could be cut in half time-wise and be better of for it.

People still consider prolonged cutscenes dressing themselves up as compelling films with distracting DVD-style menu prompts in center-frame

• Yeah, sure. You didn't even play it. I didn't either but watched it and it's awesome.

ScootyZ posted: »

Spider Man 2 is terrible even by ps2 standards. Why are people still mentioning it?

• Cause they nailed the web swinging physics. Other than that it's not very special.

Spider Man 2 is terrible even by ps2 standards. Why are people still mentioning it?

• Personally I've always felt that the Uncharted games are padded with way too much pointless filler "gameplay". Each game in that series could be cut in half time-wise and be better of for it.

I agree, we should remove gameplay from all our games! Watching a̶ ̶m̶o̶v̶i̶e̶ cutscenes and selecting between scenes from time to time is truly a fulfilling gameplay loop.

Control and agency can come in more forms than simply directing the physical movements of a character model. in this case it (ideally) comes

• You can run with that strawman if you want.

Personally I've always felt that the Uncharted games are padded with way too much pointless filler "gameplay". Each game in that series coul

• Why are you assuming that when this was one of my first open world games.

Yeah, sure. You didn't even play it. I didn't either but watched it and it's awesome.

• What didn't you like about Spider-Man 2?

Why are you assuming that when this was one of my first open world games.

• Are you justifying that all video games should try to act like movies? Are you a fan of The Order 1886? That game was shit, the graphics couldn't even save the game from how short and cutscened it was.

Control and agency can come in more forms than simply directing the physical movements of a character model. in this case it (ideally) comes

• I'll assume you didn't watch the whole video, there's clearly a part with a human pov.

HarjKS posted: »

Seems interesting. But it's got a short length, not based around humans, seems kind of boring, etc. I don't think I'd pick this up

• I just mentioned games based on movies that didn't suck.

AChicken posted: »

And that's what? 4 movie games out of 60 others? It's not uncommon to think this might flop like many others have before. But, we'll have to wait and see.

• I can't say for the PS2 because I played on PC (didnt own a console at that time), but it was terrible in every way. From the controls to the web slinging to the boss fights.

What didn't you like about Spider-Man 2?

• Yeah, the PC version sucks but the console version ROCKS!!!

I can't say for the PS2 because I played on PC (didnt own a console at that time), but it was terrible in every way. From the controls to the web slinging to the boss fights.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.