TWD The Final Season Ep 1 Waiting Thread - Releases Aug 14th, Switch EU Aug 28th

Comments

• What do you mean, like him dying towards the middle?

DabigRG posted: »

I was kinda hoping for a decent middleground, depending on how he comes across.

• Something like that.

EbiManami posted: »

What do you mean, like him dying towards the middle?

• I got hit in the feels with that trailer

• I don't mean take the whole spotlight giving the other characters no time to develop.

DabigRG posted: »

I was kinda hoping for a decent middleground, depending on how he comes across.

• From the trailer it looks like they may actually show Clem shoot Lee? (Assuming you chose this)

• You feel that way because you were already spoiled. I bet if you got that information playing the episode, you would be absolutely okay with that.
    Regarding the villains - is not it better to find out yourself? I mean Telltale were heavily criticized about their trailers spoiling the story too much (one of the Guardians trailer spoiled the final choice of the episode WTF). They are actually learning and taking that criticism to heart. So there is no problem in my opinion that they did not show us the other side of the conflict, THAT would be showing too much.

Poogers555 posted: »

The trailer is well done, there is nothing wrong with it. Considering I sadly got semi spoiled and know something that will happen now that

• Only a butthole would have left Lee to turn.

Stewart25 posted: »

From the trailer it looks like they may actually show Clem shoot Lee? (Assuming you chose this)

• Well, obviously not.
    I'd have a legit fuckin problem if he did, especially with how he was starting to come across before this.

AgentZ46 posted: »

I don't mean take the whole spotlight giving the other characters no time to develop.

• I really adore the music in this trailer. It has this hauntingly beautiful melody.

• Its hard to explain how the spoiler I did see isnt change my view on this trailer or knowledge on what the plot of this game will be, but still being a major spoiler, without saying it.

Again, they dont have to go into details at all about the conflict, but completely ignoring it? No mention at all of this outside group? They dont need to give any explanation on why or how or anything, but choosing to just ignore it is strange. It needed something to show this game has some kind of conflict because like I said, it makes the story seem aimless, and seeing nothing like that in the trailer doesnt make a viewer feel too confident because it makes it look like Telltale is hiding the main plot because they know it will come off silly.

Again, I really hope my worries are all crushed when it releases, I would love to have my expectations blown away, but considering since April we still barely know anything about what actually is suppose to go down in this game isnt the best sign.

0v3rp0w3r posted: »

You feel that way because you were already spoiled. I bet if you got that information playing the episode, you would be absolutely okay with

• Here is how i feel about it:

The Walking Dead was never really about plot, but about the story. The difference between plot and story is that plot are the events and things that happen, while story is why and how these things happen. TWD has always been at its best when it relied more on the whys and hows of certain events instead of the actual events.

Lets take the tv show as an example. I really dislike the All-Out War story-arc, because it's all plot, no story. Things happen, but we don't really know why. Sure, it's because of Negans killing of certain characters, but that event itself is just plot. We don't know WHY Negan acts the way he does. We don't care for him because of his character. We care for him because he did things.

A New Frontier had a similar problem. There's just too much plot and to little actual story and the story that actually was there was pretty poor. Even the character moments seemed completely out of place and undercooked (i'm looking at you, Gabe/Kate ending!)

Now to The Final Season. All we've seen so far has been the new characters and a theme: To find a home for Clementine and AJ, which is also all the plot you need at the beginning and since they put heavy emphesis on the new characters, that can potentially provide said home, both the story and the plot work much better in conjunction to one another. It already seems more cohesive, than last season.

It sets up its characters first and teases a potentially bigger plot later, unlike, for example, the launch trailer for ANF, which literally screamed "this thing happens, then this and this and now THIS!"

Obviously, we don't know how the season will progress, but i'm very confident that it will be more character driven than ANF.

Not sure about this still. Trailer didnt really give any story details...still. Im just really worried the plot of this game will feel ai

• I left him...

Only a butthole would have left Lee to turn.

• edited August 2018

The difference between plot and story is that plot are the events and things that happen, while story is why and how these things happen.

True.

We care for him because he did things.

This is something I did feel was kinda given too much emphasis by people and ironically what ANF seemed to be trying to cater more to.

Even the character moments seemed completely out of place and undercooked (i'm looking at you, Gabe/Kate ending!)

You mean the ones where they lose their life?

I'm very confident that it will be more character driven than ANF.

The sad thing about that is that I felt that most of the major characters did have at least a baseline for this, but they only occasionally got focus taking proper advantage of it at best. Especially when the direction changed.

GSSalvador posted: »

Here is how i feel about it: The Walking Dead was never really about plot, but about the story. The difference between plot and story is

• You took me saying plot a bit too literal, when I say plot I mean story, and the events the all happen to build the story ect.

What Im saying is, the story is going to feel rushed seeing how it seems all in one episode we are introduced to all these things, and in the same episode are expected that we already care about it all and want to protect it when the conflict happens. Im afraid it will be similar to ANF where nothing gets any time to develope be it characters, plot points, or locations, its just move move move. As I said earlier, they cant have episode 1 introduce the conflict fully and then have the other 3 episodes be them all hanging out in the school holding their ground. Its going to lead to a ton of undercooked rushing, specifically the boarding school which is Clems "new home" and what Telltale keeps talking about being the main theme.

GSSalvador posted: »

Here is how i feel about it: The Walking Dead was never really about plot, but about the story. The difference between plot and story is

• Let the episode play out first. There are trailers that tell too much, trailers that tell a fair amount and other trailers that are purposefully ambiguous, and this is obviously that one. It also appears to be an episode primarily about the kids' survival and life in the school an the focus is heavy on Marlon and his responsibilities.

What I infer from this trailer is that Marlon made a deal with one or all of the adults in question and is keeping it from the kids, hence why he seems to come unglued by the end of the trailer. As to why? We obviously don't know yet. Is that a bad thing? It doesn't have to be. Like you, I've sadly been spoiled recently. But let's have the episode play out first.

Going into a Telltale game saying you're "expected" to care about these characters doesn't help you in the slightest way feel any better about them. I could say in the same way that you were "expected" to care for Clem when the Launch trailer for Ep 1 of Season 1 dropped. You and I don't know what these characters bring to the table in terms of likeability as yet. Go into this episode clear and open-minded. Not with the mindset that Telltale "expects" you to care about them. Go in like that, you'll most likely not feel a damn thing for the cast whatsoever.

Its hard to explain how the spoiler I did see isnt change my view on this trailer or knowledge on what the plot of this game will be, but st

• It seems to me they WILL spend the entire season there, I feel like this is Clementine`s last stop, a place she is going to call home (as the theme of the season suggests). Now YOU might think that is boring, but in reality it opens up a lot of potential which was not touched by the game series at all (since we are always running somewhere). This season is going to be great, so you just have to wait and see I guess.

You took me saying plot a bit too literal, when I say plot I mean story, and the events the all happen to build the story ect. What Im sa

• Every season has rewrites...look at the next time on TWD compared to the actual episode it always changes, sometimes by quite a lot

Hope there won`t be rewrites, did not turn out well for ANF.

• Couldn't have described it better. I'm definitely gonna need the name to that track.

I really adore the music in this trailer. It has this hauntingly beautiful melody.

• edited August 2018

About the expecting to care part.

What I mean by this is, considering we know outside conflict goes down in this episode while we are still learning about these people, but the told we have to side with them, it makes it so they will lose development. The story just making us care through an outside force never works well. Sad part is I feel like they will do an okay job at this until the outside conflict thing happens, thats when itll become more of a Us vs them type of deal and kinda take away from their development to go on any further.

Walking Dead S1 worked so well because episode 1 the conflict is internal. Its between the people you are with and siding with different people in your group ect. Theres no outside force in charge. The first ep being all internal also lets you get to know everyone a lot better. Sadly an issue with Walking Dead recently is it focuses way more on action and some bland evil group with some gimmick, and Im worried it'll just be another Walking Dead story where its about just fighting some opposing group because you have to.

Sarunas21 posted: »

Let the episode play out first. There are trailers that tell too much, trailers that tell a fair amount and other trailers that are purposef

• That was a damn good trailer. I wasn't gonna watch it at first out of fear of spoilers, but they cut it perfectly to where I still don't know much about the story beats. Very excited for Tuesday just wish people weren't being assholes and ruining it for everyone. Why do fandoms have to be such cancer?

• 100% agree. That kind of attitude ("Why should I care about them, Telltale expects me to care about them but I don`t wanna, I am going too break the game!") is something that I do not like about many Telltale haters out there (who interestingly enough continue to play these games for whatever reason). Why bother playing with that mindset? You clearly will not get any satisfaction from the game, so better skip it.

Let the episode play out first. There are trailers that tell too much, trailers that tell a fair amount and other trailers that are purposef

• Im pretty sure if the whole game is the kids going "ay fuck u dude lmao" and then the adults going "no u" for 3 episodes without leading to a fight or conflict of any kind other than "ooooo dont make me DO IT!!" will be an incredibly boring game.

It seems to me they WILL spend the entire season there, I feel like this is Clementine`s last stop, a place she is going to call home (as th

• Why did this trailer felt like Clem is gonna die? I mean this trailer felt like that and idk why I feel like that while watching the trailer. Even on the Telltale YouTube channel? Where Telltale literally said "The Beginning Of The End". Like WTF?

Maybe this is just me saying his but I wouldn't be surprised if we get a option of either doing what we did with Lee. Where Clem or us decide how Lee died. Like leave him along or just shoot him.

• Wow, you just summed up my expectations for the game much more succinctly then I have ever been able to.

Im pretty sure if the whole game is the kids going "ay fuck u dude lmao" and then the adults going "no u" for 3 episodes without leading to a fight or conflict of any kind other than "ooooo dont make me DO IT!!" will be an incredibly boring game.

• You seriously believe it`s going to be like that?

Im pretty sure if the whole game is the kids going "ay fuck u dude lmao" and then the adults going "no u" for 3 episodes without leading to a fight or conflict of any kind other than "ooooo dont make me DO IT!!" will be an incredibly boring game.

• Just summed up what you were saying my dude.

You seriously believe it`s going to be like that?

• This was a great shot and Telltale knew it. Possibly their most detailed shot in the episode.

• Well then you missed the point. If you don`t see how a story can be interesting and engaging if it is set in one place, then you did not read enough books / watched enough films / played enough games. It does not have to be all action, it will rely on interesting characters, dilemmas etc. And again, if you are going in with the thoughts of how boring it is, how it already (lol) feels rushed to you, then probably should not play at all.

Just summed up what you were saying my dude.

• edited August 2018

I left the decision up to Clementine in one of my playthroughs and she walked out on me.

Did she learn nothing from me shooting Duck?

Only a butthole would have left Lee to turn.

• Maybe she left him because she was so attached to Lee that she couldn't physically do it?

I left the decision up to Clementine in one of my playthroughs and she walked out on me. Did she learn nothing from me shooting Duck?

• mostlypoptartsmostlypoptarts ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff

4.1 Use swear words if you like, but sparingly. There are no swear filters on this forum. Try to not make us regret this.

(I will edit your post if you have gendered swears!)

• I think mostlypoptarts is talking to you lol :D

I left the decision up to Clementine in one of my playthroughs and she walked out on me. Did she learn nothing from me shooting Duck?

• What I infer from this trailer is that Marlon made a deal with one or all of the adults in question and is keeping it from the kids, hence why he seems to come unglued by the end of the trailer. As to why? We obviously don't know yet.

That's been my thought as well.

• Why did this trailer felt like Clem is gonna die?

Meh.
    I'm not sure how this trailer is giving that vibe, nonetheless.

strwar3 posted: »

Why did this trailer felt like Clem is gonna die? I mean this trailer felt like that and idk why I feel like that while watching the trailer

• edited August 2018

Just let the dude play the first episode and decide for himself damn pfft. There's nothing wrong going in skeptical as it could lead into being delightfully surprised, and if does disappoint aw well.

Well then you missed the point. If you don`t see how a story can be interesting and engaging if it is set in one place, then you did not rea

• Not at all missing the point. Im not saying it being set in once place means its bad, Im sure the boarding school will still be in the future episodes, but I can already tell its going to be under some type of lines of "We need to get it back" even though we personally just got to know the place.

The problem is, considering the little we do know of what to happen and you saying its all in one place would work well, is not true. How does this story go in your head? Every episode is just the kids in the school fighting the adults off? Do the adults invalid the school and now every episode is the kids wanting it back? Do they come to an understanding and work together but still dont trust each other so every episode is just them going "I dont trust them adults!"

For what we already know, keeping it in once place just wont work, it would feel repetitive as hell. They are going to have to move the story farther from just the school vs adults.

Well then you missed the point. If you don`t see how a story can be interesting and engaging if it is set in one place, then you did not rea

• For a second there I was confused and thought there may be actual swears that I don't know and got really excited to learn some new curse words, then I figured out what gendered swears is probably referring to and I already know those.

4.1 Use swear words if you like, but sparingly. There are no swear filters on this forum. Try to not make us regret this. (I will edit your post if you have gendered swears!)

• If you find the name of it can you help a sister out and send me a link?

Couldn't have described it better. I'm definitely gonna need the name to that track.

• If I happen to be the first one to it, of course!

If you find the name of it can you help a sister out and send me a link?

• edited August 2018

No, you are definitely missing the point. So okay, did you watch The Hateful Eight? Reservoir Dogs? Did you find it boring? These stories are told in one place and are pretty engaging to me. The enclosed school will create an amazing atmosphere for these characters. In this first episode being among these children, having a dinner with them, playing the piano for the first time, going on a hunt with them, teaching AJ some stuff, showing him remains of art from the old world will create this "home atmosphere " for Clementine. Then they are threatened by the adults from outside. They still don`t leave the place, but there is a looming threat out there. Dynamic change, tensions can arise, but something can calm them down, new hopes, new fears. It is not just the school, i mean. Characters will have supply runs, they will probably try to sneak into the camp of the adults, find new locations. But the main one will be the school, fortifying it, decorating it, creating a home. That is an interesting and engaging story, the one we did not have before (with one place as a main location) and i would take that over ANF any day.
    All above is just my opinion, not based on the leaks.

Not at all missing the point. Im not saying it being set in once place means its bad, Im sure the boarding school will still be in the futur

Sign in to comment in this discussion.