AMA with Creative Director Kent Mudle [AMA over; answers posted from mostlypoptarts' account]

Comments

• edited July 2018

Will telltale change their game engine to Unity?

Will we be able to customize our car and clothes we are wearing?

Will there be something like Batman game when in the end of each episode we get stats how we left our characters like for example furious or honored based on our choices.

Will there be multiple branches and endings we can get based on our choices

• Wait, they changed to Unity??

• Not yet...TWD S4 uses the Telltale Tool with all the extras such as HDR and 4k resolutions...this is why there is no mobile editions of S4...Starting with TWAU2 They will use Unity from what has been said.

AceFTW posted: »

Wait, they changed to Unity??

• How does the team go about making creative and unique walker kills?

1. Any queer or (non-Clem) mentally disabled characters currently planned for this season?
    2. Any last names or heights for new or old characters? At least for Clem?

Y'all're cute!

• First when the walking dead S4 ending then Stranger Things will start unity engine.

AceFTW posted: »

Wait, they changed to Unity??

• A) What have you as a team learned from A New Frontier and the reaction to it from fans and how have you adapted The Final Season according to that?

B) Were there plans for more of the Garcia family had the reaction to A New Frontier been positive and a success? Or was it always a one and done for them?

• How much of an impact exactly will past seasons have in this Season?

• edited July 2018

Just because it has an over-the-shoulder camera view doesn't mean they started using Unity. It still uses the Telltale tool - confirmed by a staff member a month or two ago.

1. What is your favorite video game?
    2. What inspired you to work in the video game industry?
    3. I'd also like to know if Kenny's hat will make an appearance in the new season, but I understand if you can't talk about it.

Thank you for doing this AMA. :) Hope your day is going well.

• Shoot, Idk what to say.
    1. Clem's surname?
    2. Clem's age?
    3. State that s4 is set in?
    4. Please make a behind the scenes video like the one for s1 that was 30 mins long.
    5. In April, I tried to make my own story for TFS to see how it compares with the official, and so far I am blown away, as always. Being professionals, what is the process behind the writing in s4 and how do you come up with ideas? Do you just sit around a table and brainstorm on a sheet of paper?
    6. When trying to come up with my own story, I realised how hard things were since you already made three seriously different games in terms of plot devices and themes. How are you writing season 4 to make it different from the rest?

• edited July 2018

In April, I tried to make my own story for TFS to see how it compares with the official, and so far I am blown away, as always. Being professionals, what is the process behind the writing in s4 and how do you come up with ideas? Do you just sit around a table and brainstorm on a sheet of paper?

I'm doing the same thing. Looks like TFS is going in a completely different Direction than what I expected. What I wrote pretty much just continues where ANF left off and fixes some of the problems here and there and ties up some loose ends from ANF. My work also brings back some characters as well as some concepts that were removed from ANF. Basically I wrote a better version of ANF if it got it's act together.

• I know this has probably been asked but how old are Clem and AJ and what year does the final season take place?

• -What is Clementine’s last name?

-in TFS, how many years have passed since the apocalypse started?

-Is there any content that was cut from previous seasons that will be incorporated into TFS? (like the flashback with Clementine and Sandra in “From The Gallows”)

• AJ is confirmed to be 6, and Clementine is 17

protocol115 posted: »

I know this has probably been asked but how old are Clem and AJ and what year does the final season take place?

• Hi Kent! Thank you for 'Batman: The Enemy Within'!
    In a press release on the crossover "TWD: Road to Survival" from Scopely, Telltale's TWD S4 location is designated as 'Ericson Boarding School'. I found one Ericson school (not a boarding school) - 'Ericson Elementary School. 11174 Westonhill Drive, San Diego, CA 92126'. TWD: The Final Season will be held in California?

• Oh, cool. Mine was like s2 ep1 but instead of the cabin group it was the boarding schoolers. I don't remember but there was something where the dog and aj get trapped in the toilet and you need to figure out how to get them out but someone gets hurt in the end and a long part where the schoolers need to share the area with some bandits because of a prior disagreement. A lot more stuff that was better but I can't remember as of yet.

patrickrc95 posted: »

In April, I tried to make my own story for TFS to see how it compares with the official, and so far I am blown away, as always. Being profes

• what was meant to happen in the flashback?

Mattsag207 posted: »

-What is Clementine’s last name? -in TFS, how many years have passed since the apocalypse started? -Is there any content that was cut

• Are the Garcias gonna be in TFS at all? This might be a spoiler but I thought I should ask.

• They did confirm Garcias aren't returning

EbiManami posted: »

Are the Garcias gonna be in TFS at all? This might be a spoiler but I thought I should ask.

• Will any choices from season 3 matter in this season?

• Will you ever consider adding an easter egg in the Final Season that involves Rhys Socks in someway?

Yes this is a serious question and I expect only serious answers.

• Wait, they did? When?

AronDracula posted: »

They did confirm Garcias aren't returning

• A long time ago

Wait, they did? When?

• Do you have a link? Because I clearly missed this.

A long time ago

• edited July 2018

1 was the Kenny hat choice still not forgotten
    2 could clem teach aj the card game the Gabe told clem to do if he died
    3 could we see people who can die make it to the end of the season like my favorite season 3 character
    4 dId u guys have fun making aj swear

• edited July 2018

Heya! Thank you for doing this AMA with us :) Just a quick question regarding season two, from me!

• Will we have the choice to have Clementine talk about Jane in a positive light to AJ and other people?

I ask this because we got to call Jane ‘family’ in season three - and in the same flashback Clementine refers to Jane as AJ’s “other mom” - and I’d hate to see her forgotten or talked about really negatively after I made such a huge statement to her. Though I understand she’s far from a popular choice of friend in The Walking Dead, I also know she means a lot to me and some of my friends, and I’d love to see little nods to her like calling AJ ‘partner’ or talking about being Secret Sisters - as well as more obvious references, of course!

She’s my favourite character in the games, and more Jane is good Jane for me! Also Luke’d be great to talk about, too, but I want to know most about Jane and The Final Season :smiley:

Thanks again, and have a great day <3

• edited July 2018

The Telltale Engine can do a lot of things...but it lacks a lot of features that make it easy or even useful. Take a ball bouncing....in most engines(Unity and Unreal) The is a physics engine that helps animate it. Not so in the Telltale tool...there are a lot of quality of life features missing that make things a chore to do. Telltale has some really talented people but they have been held back because if they needed a ball or anything to actually appear to roll like a real object...they had to hard program and animate it themselves. Now moving to Unity they will not have to wrestle with that...of course the first game will be a test for them because it will be their first time using unity...but I am sure they will come to grips with it...and then they can focus on turning the art departments ideas into playable joy.

• Yup, all the animations are hand-drawn.

The Telltale Engine can do a lot of things...but it lacks a lot of features that make it easy or even useful. Take a ball bouncing....in mo

• You're gravatar quenches me, nothing's quenchier, it's the quenchiest.

Are the Garcias gonna be in TFS at all? This might be a spoiler but I thought I should ask.

• Hey Kent and Caroline thank you both so much for the AMA. I have a few questions but I will keep them as short as possible. If I ask anything that you can't give an answer for then please feel free to ignore it :smile:

Question 1: Will we get an explanation or a reason why Clementine did not return to Richmond? Richmond was a pretty secure place and having a friend in Javier who is the leader/ caretaker of Richmond would make life a lot more comfortable for Clementine and AJ.

Question 2: Will we learn what happened to Javier and the Garcias? Whether or not people liked them they are still main characters that are one of the big names in Telltale's iteration of The Walking Dead. Personally I liked the Garcias so I am curious as to what happened to them. Are they still alive? Are they dead?

Question 3: Will there be a physical disc version of The Walking Dead: The Final Season? A couple of friends of mine have asked me so I thought I may as well ask :smile:

Question 4: What is your favourite Episode in Telltale's The Walking Dead Series?

Again thank you Kent and Caroline for organising this AMA. Apologies if my questions are very direct. Hope you both have a great week! :smile:

• Pizza with pineapple or nah

• edited July 2018

So for starters I would like to thank you for organizing this Caroline! And thank you Kent Mudle for your time!

It has been stated multiple times now that our choices as Clementine will determine who AJ will become over the course of the season. Such as choosing whether or not AJ gets to curse. Can we expect to see similar choices and consequences with other characters? Or in other words, is Clementine's relationship with the other characters fluid or is it mostly set in stone?

• edited July 2018

Can we expect to see any determinant references to past seasons based on our previous choices?

• Pizza with pineapple means you are dead to me...vile and nasty...but as they live in California..I bet they love it.

Pizza with pineapple or nah

• Sorry for all of my nagging questions! This is the last one, I promise!

I would like to ask about a few details I noticed in the first 15 minutes.

So in the video without commentary, I noticed that there are several instances where Clementine’s backpack magically disappears from her back and then reappears later.

While in the footage with commentary, the backpack is much more consistent. Once Clementine puts it on her back it stays there until we see her throw it in the car.

So I am assuming the footage without commentary was recorded first and then later smoothed over to be shown at comic con. Is this the case? Or is it simply a bug that has yet to be fixed?

I also noticed in both videos that Clementine’s knife remains perfectly clean after stabbing walkers. Is this something that will be smoothed over before release? If not… you must tell me where Clementine got that knife! I for one would love to get myself a set of self-cleaning utensils for my kitchen!

• Kenny's Hat Will not be forgotten?(If so Will AJ wear it from Episode 1 to the end?)Thanks!

• Will we see returning characters already in Episode 1?

• edited July 2018
    • Will characters have blood textures on their faces as A New Frontier characters looked very clean considering they just killed a load of walkers?

• Will anyone be using the walker gut trick in the final season?

• Will there be any herds in this final season?

• Will character/walker deaths be more gory as I felt like they weren’t in A New Frontier? (Michonne game had some awesome walker kills and character deaths scenes, you should take this into account).

• I am a fan of the fake out choices in Telltale games, such as the Tripp/Ava choice, and even the choice to take the watch in Season Two. That turns out to be a good thing to do even though it looks like it will turn out badly for Clem. Will there be more of these choices in The Final Season?

This discussion has been closed.