AMA with Creative Director Kent Mudle [AMA over; answers posted from mostlypoptarts' account]

Comments

• mostlypoptartsmostlypoptarts ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff

1) If I had this magic revival power, I would probably bring back Omid. I loved that guy, and he got a real rough ending. Having him teach Clem terrible dad jokes would be amazing. He just loved history and his wife! What a cruel world...

To the second one) AJ and Clem's relationship has been given a lot of thought. We were definitely worried that the premise COULD feel like we were repeating ourselves from S1, but we made sure AJ started as a very different character than Clementine. Because he's born into this world, he already knows many of the kind of practical survival lessons that Lee taught Clem about dealing with walkers, shooting guns, and so on. He however hasn't been around people hardly at all since he's been old enough to talk, and teaching him to deal with being in a society is a new kind of challenge Lee didn't face with Clem.

-Kent

1) If you could bring any confirmed-to-be-deceased character (aside from Lee of course) from the previous seasons back to life for story pur

There's sort of always a theme of 'family' running through the series, as the people Clem finds herself with form a family around her in these terrible situations. I'd say where we're different from that is with a theme of 'Home', what it means to find one, build one, fight for one.

-Kent

OneWayNoWay posted: »

Don't know if this counts as spoiler-ish, but I'm kinda interested to know what are the central themes you want to explore this season? The

Clementine can read. I cannot confirm her math skills. (but she's got less fingers to count on in some of the branches)

-Kent

Plan_R posted: »

How illiterate is Clem? Her education stopped at 8 years old and as far as I can tell she has not had much time in the past 8ish years to im

You're welcome!
    And just that I love Telltale Batman with all my heart, and if anyone hasn't played Enemy Within please do, so that you might also fall in love with that green haired murder boy.

-Kent

Cdognkal2 posted: »

Thank y'all for doing this!! So Kent, any updates at all for the future of the Batman series?

• TOO SOON KENT!!

Clementine can read. I cannot confirm her math skills. (but she's got less fingers to count on in some of the branches) -Kent

It's been both a great honor and challenge to work with the team that gets to create an ending for Clementine's story. The pressure of expectation and history of the series is absolutely felt, but it only inspires us to work even harder. I hope the fans love it as much as we do.

-Kent

Legendary12 posted: »

What has it been like trying to wrap up TFS in a way that feels fulfilling/satisfying to the character of Clem and her fans?

• I have a particular fondness for Chuck, the magic hobo, since I got to do cinematic work on his dramatic final stand in 104. He was taken from us too soon.

100% agreed and I have been saying the same thing for years.

I love a lot of the characters from the series, but I have a particular fondness for Chuck, the magic hobo, since I got to do cinematic work on his dramatic final stand in 104. He was taken from us too soon. -Kent

I can confirm that the man at the end of the comic con teaser trailer is NOT Nate from 400 days. He's a brand new character.

-Kent

Season 3 ends with Clem going to get AJ and her knowing that she has a safe place and a friend to return to when she finds him but season 4

• Walter has returned...CONFIRMED!!

I can confirm that the man at the end of the comic con teaser trailer is NOT Nate from 400 days. He's a brand new character. -Kent

• That sucks

I can confirm that the man at the end of the comic con teaser trailer is NOT Nate from 400 days. He's a brand new character. -Kent

I love a lot of scenes but I don't want to spoil them! For a very minor not-spoiler though, there's a really fun bit where Clementine plays a card game with the kids at the school to get to know them. It's the kind of fun character building scene that I love having in our games.

-Kent

OzzyUK posted: »

Hi Kent, i know you are only answering spoiler free questions but a vague answer or a simple yes or no answer will be fine but my question i

• Euchre?

I love a lot of scenes but I don't want to spoil them! For a very minor not-spoiler though, there's a really fun bit where Clementine plays

I love all our weird children, but I have a special spot in my heart for Louis. He's got some really funny lines, and he's just a sweet goofball.

-Kent

Hello Kent! Thanks for this AMA and I have a silly question - out of all these teens you created as new characters for this season, who's your personal favourite and why (without spoilers)?

• Is Kenny's hat forgotten? Will it appear in TFS?

• I honestly love the sound of that, can't wait to play it.

I love a lot of scenes but I don't want to spoil them! For a very minor not-spoiler though, there's a really fun bit where Clementine plays

• That's everything I wanted him to be thank you.

I love all our weird children, but I have a special spot in my heart for Louis. He's got some really funny lines, and he's just a sweet goofball. -Kent

There will be scenes about AJ bonding with the new cast of survivors, and learning things about the world from before he was born.

-Kent

So this might be considered as a spoiler question, but I thought i would ask anyway. So Aj has been shown to be curious of the world befo

• Ok Kent this is more like it...Character building....Character is the center of TWD...if we never learn about people how do we feel anything for when you meanies kill them in horrible ways...Please don't kill Clem!

No. I just love bricks.

-Kent

EllieaS posted: »

Hey Kent! The brick in the first game-play video and a bow in the SDCC teaser are the references to The Last Of Us?

• Not expecting an answer, just want you to see this.

Please reference Luke in TFS. He's the best season two character and I miss him. :'(

TFS is built in the Telltale Tool.
    There may be outfit changes based on story, but there is not a system to customize Clem's style or car.
    There are stat screens similar to the ones we had in Batman! I think they look even cooler than those did, thanks to the excellent work of our UI artists.
    The rest is spoilers :)

-Kent

Bruno113 posted: »

Will telltale change their game engine to Unity? Will we be able to customize our car and clothes we are wearing? Will there be someth

• That sounds like a fantastic character-driven scene! I can't wait to play it!

We have an awesome team of animators with very creative (and horrifying) thoughts that use their awesome skills to make the sickest zombie kills imaginable.

-Kent

How does the team go about making creative and unique walker kills?

• How far in development are episodes 2-4?

• I can imagine TFS now being just as good as the first season.

• I am dying over here from all the Louis love this AMA is giving us.

• YEEET BOI WALT'S BACK

Walter has returned...CONFIRMED!!

1) I can confirm queer character(s) in the season!

re cute: Aw shucks :3

-Kent

* Any queer or (non-Clem) mentally disabled characters currently planned for this season? * Any last names or heights for new or old characters? At least for Clem? Y'all're cute!

• that sounds really cool. Oh, you designers with your creative ideas.

Pizza with Pineapple YAH

-Kent

Pizza with pineapple or nah

• There may be outfit changes based on story

Outfit changes in regards to game choices? That sounds interesting.

TFS is built in the Telltale Tool. There may be outfit changes based on story, but there is not a system to customize Clem's style or car.

• Sinner.

Pizza with Pineapple YAH -Kent

That's all from me for this time! Thanks for all your awesome questions, sorry I didn't have time to get to more of them. I hope you're all looking forward to the game!!

Signing off-
    -Kent

• Yes, holy crap the hype levels are too high. Can't take it.

TFS is built in the Telltale Tool. There may be outfit changes based on story, but there is not a system to customize Clem's style or car.

• Thank you for answering both of my questions!

I actually have one last question to ask though.

Will the end credits music return this season like it was in S2?

• He was real close to my question. Oh well, hope we can do this again before august 14.

• Ok to recap from what he said...Walter is back and Chuck is back....Clem has no math skills...and the team is filled with sick minded people who animate dead human beings and have them dessecrated for our amusement.

• 20 days. HYPE

Ghetsis posted: »

He was real close to my question. Oh well, hope we can do this again before august 14.

• I hope it's spades. I'm gonna run a freakin' Boston on them kids.

• what was your question...I am a genius when it comes to ferreting out the "truth"*

Ghetsis posted: »

He was real close to my question. Oh well, hope we can do this again before august 14.

This discussion has been closed.