• edited June 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    I'm out of words.

I'm smiling right now.

=))

It looks amazing on my wall. Well worth $60
  • edited June 2010
    Wow!

There's so much great work here by everyone! Light_rises, your poster is incredible! And thanks to everyone for the kind words!

After my last post, The Highway suggested I try to draw Max, and I'm glad he did, because I think he turned out pretty good...

4669613904_e59965716a.jpg

Thanks,
    Klatuu
  • MRNMRN
    edited June 2010
    ^^ How did you do that???

Is that in 3D?
  • edited June 2010
    Klatuu wrote: »
    Wow!

There's so much great work here by everyone! Light_rises, your poster is incredible! And thanks to everyone for the kind words!

After my last post, The Highway suggested I try to draw Max, and I'm glad he did, because I think he turned out pretty good...

Thanks,
    Klatuu

sweet!
  • edited June 2010
    Oh wow ... thanks, everyone! You're making me all blushie here. :o
    Hayden wrote: »
    That really does look like an official piece of art/concept art. It is great! But somehow, Max's head doesn't look quite right to me - the reason, I can't put my finger on.

Brilliant nonetheless!

That's because he's Maximus, silly! :p But seriously, you've touched on something that I sort of but hadn't quite realized was niggling at the back of my head.

Hmm ... looking at him again, his ears seem to be on the thin side, and maybe a tad short. That might be what's throwing his whole head off, if just a bit. I'll have to see if I can go back in and do a little adjusting.
    I just took one of Ginny's artworks to the printers ^_^

But which one is it?

You'll just have to wait until tomorrow to find out.

HERE IT IS!

I present to you... Movil Lagomorph Launcher in poster form! This baby cost me A$60

[insert "whoa" inducing photos here]

... H-holy crap! *high-fives Ginny*

Backtracking a moment to say I admire your C.O.P.S. models greatly. :)

Is your Max a rigged model, per chance?
  • edited June 2010
    ... H-holy crap! *high-fives Ginny*

HEY! Where's MY high-five?
  • edited June 2010
    HEY! Where's MY high-five?

For making dreams come true? We'll have to haggle on that point.

Aw, what the hey. *high-fives you too*
  • MRNMRN
    edited June 2010
    I fully endorse this joke!

Sam was okay with it once Sybil told him clamshell phones are, like, so 2005. Also, he was feeling particularly lazy that day.

But enough of me making up backstory based on other people's work! Here's the rest of my avatar, post-Real Life intervention:

SaM-301_ToSMposter_final-smaller_co.png

An attempt at marrying the old-timey Sam & Max universe with art nouveau. Rumor has it they'll spilt due to irreconcilable differences and too many profile shots, but hey, it was worth a try.

The original sketch was finished on May 16, which explains why Maximus has a Colt M1900. That, and I didn't have the sufficient funds or bones left unbroken heart to take it away from him. Awww.

--

Brushes used for Papierwaite's smoking jacket made by ro-stock. Includes textures courtesy of cgtextures.com.

Did you do that in PS?

It looks freakin awesome!
  • edited June 2010
    @light_rises Maximus looks really cute, but he kinda looks like he did in that comic where Sam & Max were kids. I think his eyes are too close together.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Sorry to double-post... but this belongs in the art thread as well. ;)

baeamdtfpasmall.jpg

(Larger version on my DeviantArt account. You can see all the hideous mistakes I made right there :D ).
  • edited June 2010
    MRN wrote: »
    Did you do that in PS?

Most of it, yeah. The lineart was drawn on textured, 90 lb sketchbook paper with a pencil, then cleaned up and painted in Photoshop.
    StonkBad wrote: »
    @light_rises Maximus looks really cute, but he kinda looks like he did in that comic where Sam & Max were kids. I think his eyes are too close together.

Ah, good point. Due to which (along with Hayden's comment and my thoughts about the ears) I've gone ahead and made some test alterations to Maximus' head.

Before:

SaM-301_ToSMposter_maximusheadOLD.png

After:

SaM-301_ToSMposter_maximusheadNEW.png

Better? Worse? Inquiring minds want to know -- especially this one! :)

Oh, and because I can ...
  • edited June 2010
    I like the second one better, to be honest.
  • edited June 2010
    much better, light rises!
  • edited June 2010
    Funny that such minor adjustment can be a huge difference.
    (I'm still a little worried about that max without eyes though.)
  • edited June 2010
    They look exactly the same to me.
  • edited June 2010
    Me too. I can see what's different about them, but differences don't mean anything to me.

It's a brilliant drawing, anyway.
  • edited June 2010
    Here's an animated GIF, to make comparing easier:
    snm302fanartmaxcomparis.gif
    The one with the eyes closer together and the smaller ears is the old one.

One think I notice is that the angle of the eyes in the new version is better than in the old one. The ears seem a better size too, though that might mess up the composition of the entire picture, since his ears would (almost) start covering the bottom of Sameth's head, and Papierwaite's mouth.
    So maybe keep the old ears, but change to the new eyes.
  • edited June 2010
    I think it's much better this way! Especially the eyes, before that I thought the problem was that his head wasn't wide enough, but with the new position of the eyes that was "fixed".
  • edited June 2010
    The second one is definitely better, LightRises. Great job, the image will be perfect now! He just looked a little bit Asian in the original, but now he looks like the Max that we're all used to :). Will you re-post the image once you've inserted the new Max?
  • edited June 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    He just looked a little bit Asian in the original

Thank you for having the balls to say that. I agree. We all thought it. But no one said it.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm curious now! How did he look Asian? I still don't see it. Is it because he's smiling? Caricatures would have the eyes horizontal though, wouldn't they?
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I'm curious now! How did he look Asian? I still don't see it. Is it because he's smiling? Caricatures would have the eyes horizontal though, wouldn't they?

The eyes were slanted. and too close together. = sort of asian
  • edited June 2010
    MRN wrote: »
    ^^ How did you do that???

Is that in 3D?

Yes, in an old version of 3D Studio Max (version 4).

Is your Max a rigged model, per chance?

Not yet, but I'm working on it...

Out of curiosity, Telltale employees, what do you guys use for modelling? Maya?
  • edited June 2010
    Out of curiosity, Telltale employees, what do you guys use for modelling? Maya?

Actually, I think that the Telltale Tool has the capability to model objects in 3D, so that is probably what they use. I don't know that for fact, though.
  • edited June 2010
    Hello, butting in with my mediocre art that is always too big.

Sobig, oh my god.

Yeah, still can't draw cars. Seriously, Sam looks so cramped in there, like Mr. Incredible in his tiny blue car. And Max is just generally wrong, as is the perspective in ways I cannot imagine. Anyways, you can continue to gush about that wonderous piece of art that light_rises did.
  • edited June 2010
    Too big?

Sleepy_by_Sei_sama.jpg

Oh well, it is too big.

(Anyway, it's funny ^^!)
  • edited June 2010
    31___Flowers_by_Cheri_chan.png

Man, I know someone's gonna pull the 'MAX DOESN'T LIKE GIRLS' card but whatever. It's not like Leah likes him anyways.
  • edited June 2010
    Max doesn't like gi--
    *shot so hard*

Just kidding. It really is cute.
  • edited June 2010
    Plus we can't say Max Doesn't Like Girls anymore. He likes them now because of Sam
  • edited June 2010
    I'm more surprised that he'd be blushing :p
  • edited June 2010
    same here.

So for my final project in my art class we have to do a "Meaningful drawing of choice"

I was thinking of mixing a bunch of elements for Telltale games in it for a massive fan art.

It's meaningful, it symbolizes my randomness.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm pretty sure I'm not going to survive this. But the temptation was too much

SnM___Need_of_a_Hug_by_Ginny_N.png
  • edited June 2010
    You too, GinnyN? I'm hoping "Noir Sam" stays noir virtually the entire episode.
  • edited June 2010
    In fact, I do really think he need a hug
  • edited June 2010
    Hey! leave some Sam for other people, too! Don't hoard him like that! :p
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Hey! leave some Sam for other people, too! Don't hoard him like that! :p

Group hug?
  • edited June 2010
    Noir Sam totally needs a hug.
  • edited June 2010
    *joins group hug*
  • edited June 2010
    Aw heck I always show up late for the party. Drew this last night and finished it today. I did mention I can't draw Sam that well right?... or guns... or lawyers or doctors. I forgot what I was saying, just take this.

Mad_Dog_by_SillyStell.jpg
  • edited June 2010
    Wow. I really like that.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.