The legendary Sam & Max fanart

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Yeah, that is a pretty good piece of fan art, Stell. Far better than what I could do.
  • edited June 2010
    Awesome work, Stell!
  • edited June 2010
    SillyStell wrote: »
    I did mention I can't draw Sam that well right?... or guns... or lawyers or doctors.

Nonsense. This is awesome, and the admittedly small but not for long gallery of noir!Sam fan art is all the richer for its existence.

To step back in time for a moment ... for all your feedback on Maximus, you guys rock. Thanks so very, very much. <3

I'm with all of you on the new position for his eyes, especially now that I've set the poster aside for a couple days before looking at the tweaked version again. (Didero's .gif was also very helpful to me on this point. Thanks!) It's easy to get too close to whatever I'm working on to see if any changes I make are really improvements, so I value this kind of outside feedback like whoa.
    Hayden wrote: »
    He just looked a little bit Asian in the original, but now he looks like the Max that we're all used to :).
    The eyes were slanted. and too close together. = sort of asian

In retrospect, I can totally see the Asian look. ^^; In the new version, I think it helps that I've shaved the pointiness off his right eye and rotated it a few hairs clockwise, along with the general goal of moving both eyes apart. Strange, unnecessary eye slant gone!
    Hayden wrote: »
    Will you re-post the image once you've inserted the new Max?

But of course! Speaking of which ...

SaM-301_ToSMposter_final-smaller_ma.png

This may or may not be the final version, depending. I'm trying out Didero's suggestion of keeping the old ears, which I think with the new eyes are enough to do the trick without altering the overall composition. Thoughts?
  • edited June 2010
    That looks purty darn good to me, although didn't Maximus have a hat? Nice use of train tracks, too!
  • edited June 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    That looks purty darn good to me, although didn't Maximus have a hat? Nice use of train tracks, too!

I just went into the game to confirm it-Maximus does not have a hat.
  • edited June 2010

Funny you should mention that ... he doesn't have one in anything I've posted here, but for a day or so he did have one in the original sketch. Once the trailer came out and it was confirmed the hat had been nixed, however, I did the same. If I scanned the sketch again without any cleanup, you would see a faint, half-way erased hat on Maximus' head. :)

Thanks about the train tracks!
  • edited June 2010
    That's great, Stell!

(Didero's .gif was also very helpful to me on this point. Thanks!)

I'm trying out Didero's suggestion of keeping the old ears, which I think with the new eyes are enough to do the trick without altering the overall composition.
    You're very welcome!
    And Max does look better this way. A good improvement to a great piece of fanart :)
  • edited June 2010
    Aw heck I always show up late for the party. Drew this last night and finished it today. I did mention I can't draw Sam that well right?... or guns... or lawyers or doctors. I forgot what I was saying, just take this.

In that case, I can't draw lawyers and doctors either! Good to know!
  • edited June 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    In that case, I can't draw lawyers and doctors either! Good to know!

It's them brief cases they carry! Throws me off! Though in reality I was just making a reference to something, amazing what you type when ya tierd.

Also light_rises, I think it's made that lil' bit of difference, it's still a gorges picture ether way.
  • edited June 2010
    Sorry for the double post ^^; I just drewed this. I'm not sure if your gunna find this funny or just look at me as a horribly morbid person D:

C_is_for_Lagomorph_by_SillyStell.jpg
  • MRNMRN
    edited June 2010
    ^^^Hahahahaha Thats awesome!
  • edited June 2010
    I'd get a Max cookie jar, but I think I'd be too afraid to go into the kitchen anymore because he'd always be WATCHING. Like a garden gnome.
  • edited June 2010
    Oh jeez, that's hilarious!
  • edited June 2010
    Thanks everyone :D
  • MRNMRN
    edited June 2010
    "Bad dogs, bad dogs,
    Whatcho gonna do,
    Whatcho gonna do when they come for you?"

xD
  • edited June 2010
    Haha, I loved that cookie jar thing. And Sam's expression in the last two panels is priceless.
    Cheri wrote: »
    I'd get a Max cookie jar, but I think I'd be too afraid to go into the kitchen anymore because he'd always be WATCHING. Like a garden gnome.

Like Gnome Chompski? :U
  • edited June 2010
    Exactly like Gnome Chompski.
  • edited June 2010
    [ingenious comic!]

SillyStell is my fandom hero for today. :D
  • edited June 2010
    Wow Stell, that comic was great! Do more, do more!
  • edited June 2010
    I will accept this as a I Wonder What Happens in chapter.

Seriously SillyStell

Awesome comic. do you have a specific site for Webcomics?
  • edited June 2010
    Okay, now I have to work on a Max cookie jar.
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    okay, now i have to work on a max cookie jar.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
  • edited June 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Haha not so fast :p I left all of my clay in France, so I need to find a place to buy some here. I'm not going to start quite yet.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm loving all of the Noir Sam artwork we're getting here <3 I'm fairly certain I already posted my version of him a few pages back--I guess that means I'm due to draw another one :p

Also, seconding the cookie jar.
  • edited June 2010
    Haha not so fast :p I left all of my clay in France, so I need to find a place to buy some here. I'm not going to start quite yet.

I'll wait. Far I know, I'm not going to die tomorrow. (Maybe the Saturday =P)
  • edited June 2010
    Something I found lying around in my doodlebook. Uh, excuse the flowers. I really should get a new tablet.

50cbp.png
  • edited June 2010

Wait, you don't have any clay, but you have a wheel? Seriously though, I'd love to try it with just Max's head, but the ears would be a pain in the behind to attach. I can't even make a decent cup handle, dangit!

And yeah, Sillystell, series!
  • edited June 2010
    i'm working on a poster version of Hugh Bliss's Master Plan, so I will try and get some done this weekend!
    in between playing sam & max, of course!
  • edited June 2010
    Oh shucks I didn't expect everyone to enjoy my lil' comic so much! I supposen if people who are interested I do have a small comic seires on my DA acount called Finding Sanity, it's not a lot of pages as I only started the seires recently but it's just me (well a very tiny retarded version me, I like to think my inner child) and my dog, Harry, just doing random things. There are only about 4 so far but ideas pop into my head all the time so keep an eye out and I'm sure they'll be more! (erg, I feel like a cheesey advertisment)

Also The Highway I am looking forward to see what you come up with :D
  • edited June 2010
    Oh Stell, your non sequitur humor kills me and your art is so damn cute!
  • edited June 2010
    Wait, you don't have any clay, but you have a wheel? Seriously though, I'd love to try it with just Max's head, but the ears would be a pain in the behind to attach. I can't even make a decent cup handle, dangit!

Well, I don't have a wheel, but I've never used one, so I didn't really think of one. Would probably make things easier, I guess.

Yeah, I was thinking just the head, and I've been wondering how to make the ears stable, too. I probably wouldn't attach them, but instead go the other way, with a big piece, where I cut off the part that goes between the ears. Then it's just about shaping everything, but honestly I'm not sure how well that would work.
  • edited June 2010
    You make the cookie jar and I'll make the cookies! ... Which will be interesting cause I've never made cookies before.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah, you know what, I think I'll make the cookies too :p
    Not the Max-shaped cookies though. You feel free to make these. Ooh, we should so make them and bring them to cons for the TTG staff.
  • edited June 2010
    Haha that'd be ace! Shame I live all the way in the UK but maybe one day, that or I figure out a good way to deliver them via snail without em crumbling or going stale.
  • edited June 2010
    I've sent peanut butter cookies and banana bread through the mail before, but they were only going from Colorado to Kansas.

And Avistew, there's ways to attach the ears and have them very stable after firing, but with something like this, I'm not sure how stable they would be in the meantime. Basically you score both attachment points and then stick them together with slip in between.
  • edited June 2010
    Well this is a bit angsty, but I shall post it anyway - for what Noir is without some misery? :P

Depressing-Rain-167249786

Is that showing up for anyone? 'Cos all I see is a red cross, but it might just be my computer :s
  • edited June 2010
  • edited June 2010
    First off, Stell, Nessy's adventures in Tokyo needs to be its own comic. Seriously.

Second off, you could attach the ears at the leather hard stage, allowing you more control of their shape, but the problem I see is making them thick enough to attach to the head without making them thicker than the top of Max's skull which will screw up the firing. Basically you'd have to make his head pretty thick which would leave you with one heavy cookie jar.

If at all possible, the best solution would be to make a slip cast cookie jar using porcelain slip. Unfortunately I have worked with plaster just once, and have never slip cast anything before. It's hard to really get it right ... especially when you're the Queen of Klutzes :p
  • edited June 2010

That's because you used a link to the page, not to the image. It can't show that as an image. I gave you the right link, you should be able to use that instead by editing your post and then it should show.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.