The legendary Sam & Max fanart

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Sonekana wrote: »
    As Sausy said, I'm pretty sure that #4 is Banjo and Kazooie. xD I'm pretty sure that #5 is Sonic, right? Maybe I'm wrong D:

I just wish I could figure out #2.. is it.. man I can't figure it out. xD

Right on every account! And #2 is also Banjo-Kazooie :p Banjo has this move where he can jump into his backpack (if Kazooie's not in it) and hop around with his head sticking out. And I've always pictured Sam & Max and Banjo-Kazooie to be long-lost spiritual cousins, twice removed and separated at birth by a pack of spacefaring pink martians.
  • edited April 2011
    Omegabegin wrote: »
    Right on every account! And #2 is also Banjo-Kazooie :p Banjo has this move where he can jump into his backpack (if Kazooie's not in it) and hop around with his head sticking out. And I've always pictured Sam & Max and Banjo-Kazooie to be long-lost spiritual cousins, twice removed and separated at birth by a pack of spacefaring pink martians.

And their descendants are Mordecai and Rigby from Regular Show 8D

Never mind. Your sketches are really good if you ask me. :) I'd love to see you do more work. You entering the Sam and Max fan art contest?
  • edited April 2011
    Even if you say that 4 is Banjo Kazooie I honestly can't see it as anything other than Sonic, I mean, even Max's ears looks like Tails's tails when flying D:

Anyways, all of the stuff you guys posted is awesome, I really wish I had the time to start my contest entry >__<
  • edited April 2011
    SunnyGuy wrote: »
    Even if you say that 4 is Banjo Kazooie I honestly can't see it as anything other than Sonic, I mean, even Max's ears looks like Tails's tails when flying D:

Anyways, all of the stuff you guys posted is awesome, I really wish I had the time to start my contest entry >__<

Aaaahaha, I know >__> I drew it with Banjo-Kazooie in mind, then stepped back and realized that it looked more like Sonic than anything. So naturally, I drew Sonic next! ...Well, scribbled. Same diff.
    Sonekana wrote: »
    And their descendants are Mordecai and Rigby from Regular Show 8D

Never mind. Your sketches are really good if you ask me. :) I'd love to see you do more work. You entering the Sam and Max fan art contest?

LOL oh man, what a big, hideous (by which I mean "beautiful") crossover child that would make.

And thank you! I do have an idea sketched out for the contest, but I just haven't had any free time to do fun stuff that doesn't suck. Now that the deadline has been extended I'm hoping I can get something nice drawn for it :cool:
  • edited April 2011
    Eh, you could've made Max flap his ears like they were wings, that would've made it look as it should've.
  • edited April 2011
    Max and his trusty Re-Dead buster... drawn in September of last year...
    http://pheeph.deviantart.com/art/Max-vs-Re-Dead-177858828
  • edited April 2011
    Omegabegin wrote: »
    Aaaahaha, I know >__> I drew it with Banjo-Kazooie in mind, then stepped back and realized that it looked more like Sonic than anything. So naturally, I drew Sonic next! ...Well, scribbled. Same diff.

LOL oh man, what a big, hideous (by which I mean "beautiful") crossover child that would make.

And thank you! I do have an idea sketched out for the contest, but I just haven't had any free time to do fun stuff that doesn't suck. Now that the deadline has been extended I'm hoping I can get something nice drawn for it :cool:

xD

No problem. :) It's great you're planning to enter, I was really hoping for a lot of fan art coming in so we can have a great contest. :) I can't wait!
  • edited April 2011
    Alright, I'll post something that's not ponies, but is as equally saccharine. At least in my opinion.

Cheristopdrawingchibisgdmit.jpg?t=1302580717
  • edited April 2011
    Man this thread goes fast! I go on vacation for 3 days and it's up to another page!

@that1person haha, thank you. Worst thing is, he really IS the president!

It's true that antialiased stuff looks better, but I usually antialias it in the LAST stage of the work... where I reduce it to a reasonable size so it can be seen on the web. Otherwise, you can also smooth it and that will antialiase everything.
  • edited April 2011
    Cheri wrote: »
    Alright, I'll post something that's not ponies, but is as equally saccharine. At least in my opinion.

Cheristopdrawingchibisgdmit.jpg?t=1302580717

And this is what the world needed. Great job. *thumbs up*
  • edited April 2011
    look who's the next victim of Sam and Max's searching...
    http://pheeph.deviantart.com/art/Searching-Zelda-204931423
  • edited April 2011
    AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaa you guysssss
    I haven't been checking since page 82 but I am gonna say right now that I LOVE EVERYTHING THAT'S BEEN POSTED AAAUUHUGFUGHD YOU GUYS ARE FANTASTIC<3
    I would post a thing, mayhaps, but I need to be heading to bed soon as I have my senior prom tomorrow and won't be back home until 5 am :DDD
  • edited April 2011
    Good luck on your prom and be back soon with more fantastic art :3
  • edited April 2011
    Speaking of Papierwaite...
    igotnothing.jpg

Actually that's all I got... Like seriously this is all I've draw for a week. I need to get my gameface on.
  • edited April 2011
    had an effort at sam and max. not too keen on it but oh well i tried

025.jpg
  • edited April 2011
    It's true. Turn away from this forums for even the slightest amount of time and you miss out on so much awesome. Aw, guys. I just keep on lovin' it!! <3
  • edited April 2011
    I agree with Hayley, these forums are great! :D one of the best places to go for fanart on here if you ask me. :)
  • edited April 2011
    Lovenu wrote: »
    Speaking of Papierwaite...
    igotnothing.jpg

Actually that's all I got... Like seriously this is all I've draw for a week. I need to get my gameface on.

Oh my god these sketches are beautiful.
  • edited April 2011
    This is a teaser for an upcoming project. Missing: Sam and the zombies.

vszombiesteaser.jpg
  • edited April 2011
    @Cheri: Chibi Anton will always be too cute ohgodwhy
    @Lovenu: MOAR PAPIERWAITE!!! Dem curllllls <3
    @Avalonian: Fyeah! Love that episode!!
    @Crfh: OH GOD YEAAAHHHH Instant-Awesome if Flint is in it.
  • edited April 2011
    @Cheri: Haha, that's the most adorable Papierwaite I've seen.
    @Pheep: lol XD
    @Lovenu: Wow, you made Papierwaite look pretty good.
    @avalonian: Well, that's a good attempt.
    @crfh: OH GOD YES

Btw people, I finally got a tablet *throws around confetti* You know what that means, fanart! :D

...when I get MY laptop back >__>
  • edited April 2011
    Max has better use for those Easter eggs...
    easter_egg_fight_by_pheeph-d3esywu.jpg
  • edited April 2011
    crfh wrote: »
    This is a teaser for an upcoming project. Missing: Sam and the zombies.

vszombiesteaser.jpg

And slowly my memories of Night of the Raving Dead come back like a wildfire :D

Oh god this looks great. Can't wait!
  • edited April 2011
    sam_and_max_anime_by_strongbrush1-d3eyiuy.png

My latest piece in a while. Feedback would be greatly appreciated
  • edited April 2011
    No offense, but just...no @ Max. Blond and with shorts? Yuck.
  • edited April 2011
    SunnyGuy wrote: »
    No offense, but just...no @ Max. Blond and with shorts? Yuck.

Would you prefer to see him naked?
  • edited April 2011
    It's not like that would be unusual. Anime style doesn't mean he has to be realistic that way. Not to mention that the hair over Sam and Max's fur is completely unnecesary, there's already plenty of anime anthro animals and they don't have that (and even if they did, why does Max have to be blond? There's plenty of white haired pretty boys in anime).
  • edited April 2011
    Proportions need a lot of work and I don't understand why Max has hair and is wearing shorts... That's just... Even if he was anime, don't you think he'd still look like a possessed rabbit?

7e46a265c3fb6d06dc1de8dc8fb272681255988589_full.jpg

or maybe even

Moria_snap.jpg

Anime doesn't have to have pretty characters with pretty hair... Try to still make the characters just like they were before, only in a different style. It looks like they're completely separate characters.

There's style... And then there's making the characters something they aren't
  • edited April 2011
    Those images are horrifying.
  • edited April 2011
    Shyguy wrote: »
    Those images are horrifying.

Haha sorry

Just trying to show that using the term 'anime' is pretty broad... That and I truly feel that Max would be both incredibly horrifying and adorable at the same time if he were in a Japanese cartoon... Also that he wouldn't have hair...

Another thought... If you're going to give Max the shorts and the hair or whatever, just make him a humanized Max. There's no need to keep him in his rabbity form if you've already gone that far because it just isn't Max anymore once you add those things.

I mean the whole 'would you prefer him naked' thing doesn't make a lot of sense considering this is Max we're talking about... Someone who's always naked...

I apologize if I'm coming off as rude... I'm not trying to be, it's just that he asked for feedback. Hopefully this helped a little?
  • edited April 2011
    I've been adopting Sam & Max into my half-anime style all the time and I still draw them the same as in the comics/games/cartoon/etc.
  • edited April 2011
    20080517_soul-eater.jpg

I'm just going leave this here....
  • edited April 2011
    Lovenu wrote: »
    Just trying to show that using the term 'anime' is pretty broad... That and I truly feel that Max would be both incredibly horrifying and adorable at the same time if he were in a Japanese cartoon... Also that he wouldn't have hair...

Another thought... If you're going to give Max the shorts and the hair or whatever, just make him a humanized Max. There's no need to keep him in his rabbity form if you've already gone that far because it just isn't Max anymore once you add those things.

I mean the whole 'would you prefer him naked' thing doesn't make a lot of sense considering this is Max we're talking about... Someone who's always naked...

I apologize if I'm coming off as rude... I'm not trying to be, it's just that he asked for feedback. Hopefully this helped a little?

What most people forget about these two is that they're ANTHROPOMORPHIC animals. They may be animals, but they act like, talk like, and walk upright like people do. My whole approach to my art is to portray the characters as having the personality and basic body structure of humans, with the features of animals, hence the inclusion of the sanity-protecting swim trunks. Despite what you might think, anthro characters like my interpretation of Max don't have to be completely naked.

Plus, In response to that whole thing about the hair, that was a joke. We're talking about characters who are essentially parodies of other comic characters. I included the hair as a joke about how every single anime character, by some apparent law, has to have a messed-up mop of technicolor hair. I know it doesn't make sense, but who ever said that anime had to be 110% accurate?
  • edited April 2011
    Okay, when you ask for feedback on your work, don't get all uppity and whiny when people GIVE it to you. If you're just looking for asspats, don't ask for feedback.
  • edited April 2011
    Even though my own style is greatly influenced by anime, I'm bypassing all that stuff for a few anatomy tips (if you'll excuse the rough visual aids ahead of time):

•Max's ears are a bit too centered on his head. Most people have their eyes placed just above their ears, so that if you draw a line straight through them, it would brush against the tops of the earlobes. Max's ears may be higher up, but the same basic idea applies - just switch it.

QOShd.png

It's not a precise math! Just make sure to keep the eyes and ears aligned to a certain degree.

•The legs in general are a bit awkwardly jointed. Sam's are fine, but Man's (I'm just gonna call him that) left leg is bent at what looks to be below the knee while Max's left foot looks broken.

UTLVm.png

A leg has a straighter front and a curved back, and the foot should always be facing towards the front. Even in instances where the person is curving their foot inwards, try it yourself - the back of the knee turns with it.

•Man's arms look like they're glued to his body...mostly in part due to the placement of those pockets. Give his arms a little room to breathe by separating them from the body and moving the pocket down a bit so that it isn't at the edge of his pants. Sam's arms are better, but still a little bit awkward.

Good luck!
  • edited April 2011
    Did someone say....ANIME?!

2n037fb.jpg

(Oh god this is so sloppily drawn I drew it too quick don't kill me)
  • edited April 2011
    He appears to be imported.

hellomax.jpg
  • edited April 2011

hellomax.jpg

Waaaaaaaaant. God that's cute.
  • edited April 2011

hellomax.jpg

Much love! I admire it! :)
  • edited April 2011
    On the topic of StrongBrush1's piece...

Whilst I do get your point of Sam and Max in 'anime' style, let's think about it. The term 'anime' refers to basically 'animation in Japan' and that strictly doesn't limit to technicolored hairstyles and bug eyes. It's basically just any kind of cartoon from Japan. I also noticed that you really wanted to prove your point at some of the opinions of the forum posters here.

Whenever you post threads or such, try to more carefully select your words if you don't want raw feedback from other people. If drawing Sam and Max in the stereotypical Japanese moe cartoon was your aim, say that in your post next time, instead of explaining it to people instead after you ask them for feedback.

That's all I have to say about it. Other than that, I agree with Omegabegin's critique.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.