The legendary Sam & Max fanart

Comments

• edited June 2011
    When you post art here, it's seen by lots of people. I like a lot of the pictures here without commenting on them, simply because if I said "Wow, good job!" to all of them, people might think I'm a bot.

What gets me to comment? Draw something really unusual and mind-blowing, or funny. Or, if you want critical analysis of your work, ask, "What could I have done to improve this?" in the post containing the picture.
  • edited June 2011
    WarpSpeed wrote: »
    When you post art here, it's seen by lots of people. I like a lot of the pictures here without commenting on them, simply because if I said "Wow, good job!" to all of them, people might think I'm a bot.

What gets me to comment? Draw something really unusual and mind-blowing, or funny. Or, if you want critical analysis of your work, ask, "What could I have done to improve this?" in the post containing the picture.

With that in mind, what could I have done to improve this?
  • edited June 2011
    With that in mind, what could I have done to improve this?

See? That wasn't so hard. :) Let's look at this again.
    meet_maxine_by_strongbrush1-d3irc0s.png

And for reference, here's a Steve Purcell drawing of Sam & Max:

Sam_%26_Max.png

Now, of course you don't have to draw Sam & Max exactly the same as Steve Purcell does, but Sam really needs that narrow head and tall hat to look like Sam. That's the main thing that jumps out: head too fat, hat too flat.

If you want Maxine more human-like, her body should be curvier at the hips, but we want Sam to be hesitant, so it's probably fine as is.

I like the dialog at right, though at first glance, it looks like you're holding out your middle finger (until you count to make sure).
  • edited June 2011
    The advice above is good advice :)

It's also worth keeping consistency/accuracy in mind. Pay attention to the little things - a good example is Sam's tie. As you can see in the picture above, it has four stripes (one of which makes up part of the knot) and is pretty over-sized. Never be afraid to use a reference when drawing; if you train yourself to notice the small details, it really does help in the long run!

Also, your legs and feet have improved VERY much since last time :D Almost everything is aligned perfectly. My only advice is to move Sam's right kneecap more towards the center, since the foot is pointed straight forward.
  • edited June 2011
    I can be a very harsh critic at times so if I offend that wasn't my intention. Like others have said it's good to look at reference of the character. I have a problem with the poses, this is a very common problem for new artists, they are to stiff and doll like, the need to feel more comfortable, a flow to them maybe. Your anatomy needs work, if your REALLY serious I'd recomend taking life drawing classes or to a lesser extent buying some books on the human form. I know your thinking "but he's a cartoon dog" but if you try it you'll see the skills you learn will transfer into your stylized work and it'll become second nature. Also they're are a lot of free tutorials around the internet that help with this. I recomend this for poses. Don't forget the 3 P's. Practice, Practice, Practice.
  • edited June 2011
    Stell, you's my hero.
  • edited June 2011
    And of course, if these forums have taught me anything, it's that you better be drawing breasts properly!
  • edited June 2011
    Oh yeah I forgot about that part. Bigger Better breasts means more people will like it!
  • edited June 2011
    Gah, YES
    All this critiquing and stuff is really making me happy LOL
    Keep at it you guys! :D
  • edited June 2011
    line2.jpg

One thing that can help drawing less stiff figures is to have a clear line of movement. This line of movement must be exaggerated, we're talking cartoons here. Even when standing around such a line is needed.

The orange line is the line of movement for both Sam and Max. Sam is heavy and all his weight goes towards his massive feet, thus, his line of movement will be a bit restricted when he's just standing around, althought of course in action shots this won't be true.

Max is a lot more flexible and his line must be a LOT more exaggerated than Sam's, thus giving the impression of a more physically dynamic character. This is a bit restricted by the fact his limbs are tiny, and compensated with the ears, hands and feet.

To draw them, I stick to the narrow pyramid shape for Sam as a guide. Sam's complicated because he has a lot of details to cover. Max is a lot more simple, he's a "rascal": bean body, thin, separated legs, big hands and feet.

I recommend first drawing with a reference, then drawing without one and checking what you did wrong, until all the character's details are memorized. Takes a lot of practice but it's worth it. I always used to forget both Sam and Max's arms are thin on top and thick near the wrist. I make that mistake less often now.

Hopes this helps some... forgive the inking, it was just a quick thing.
  • edited June 2011
    crfh, that looks awesome! I adore the line work and the tutorial is great. :>
  • edited June 2011
    I decided to draw Sam and Max seeing as I havn't done so in a long time and I saw crfh's wonderfull example of lines of moviement and decided to leave the sketchings in. Gee I hope we havn't scared StrongBrush off with all this ^^;

It's been so long I almost forgot how to draw Sam, had to crack out my copy of Surfin' The Highway to remind my self XD

processsm.jpg
  • edited June 2011
    crfh wrote: »
    line2.jpg

One thing that can help drawing less stiff figures is to have a clear line of movement. This line of movement must be exaggerated, we're talking cartoons here. Even when standing around such a line is needed.

The orange line is the line of movement for both Sam and Max. Sam is heavy and all his weight goes towards his massive feet, thus, his line of movement will be a bit restricted when he's just standing around, althought of course in action shots this won't be true.

Max is a lot more flexible and his line must be a LOT more exaggerated than Sam's, thus giving the impression of a more physically dynamic character. This is a bit restricted by the fact his limbs are tiny, and compensated with the ears, hands and feet.

To draw them, I stick to the narrow pyramid shape for Sam as a guide. Sam's complicated because he has a lot of details to cover. Max is a lot more simple, he's a "rascal": bean body, thin, separated legs, big hands and feet.

I recommend first drawing with a reference, then drawing without one and checking what you did wrong, until all the character's details are memorized. Takes a lot of practice but it's worth it. I always used to forget both Sam and Max's arms are thin on top and thick near the wrist. I make that mistake less often now.

Hopes this helps some... forgive the inking, it was just a quick thing.

actually that was very instructive,i mean i some times draw characters on very tense poses, and i dont understand were was my mistake,you think stuffs i didnt thougth before ^^
  • edited June 2011
    Thanks a bunch, guys :D Nice drawing, Stell!
  • edited June 2011
    http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/169/e/3/e3a90adb23ef3dc9b270e65e8123504d-d3j8poj.png (Note: may contain light blood and gore. View at own discretion.)

Another page of Sam and Max in JediAnnSolo's webcomic AGENCY scripted by me (CartoonistWill / William Boyer) and artwork by JediAnnSolo / Annie. She added the "sweet catch" and the Rattata, both of which were not in my original script. :-)

*****EDIT/NOTE******

Oh, um... About the blood and stuff. I forgot. Is that a problem on the forums? Let me know, and this can be removed and I won't post anything like that again. Not sure about rules and terms of services of the Forum involving this. Need to go check. My apologies!

But until I know, I decided the image will be in a link instead of displayed. So, viewer beware! It's not that bad, but don't want to get in trouble.

*******EDIT/NOTE*******

I forgot to place a link to Annie/JediAnnSolo's ongoing webcomic series that this page with Sam and Max appears in: http://jediannsolo.deviantart.com/#/d3j8poj and http://www.drunkduck.com/AGENCY/index.php

There was one page before this, and there will be one or two pages after this one as well. Written by me, artwork by Annie/JediAnnSolo. Enjoy!
  • edited June 2011
    @cartoonistwill-great job! I don't think you'll get in trouble for mild blood and gore on the forums, normally it gets removed if it's at an extreme level. It was pretty mild so I wouldn't worry so much about it. Of course, I would honestly keep as a link, since not all people may be okay with the blood and gore. Awesome work though! I gotta love your color choices!
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2011
    http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/169/e/3/e3a90adb23ef3dc9b270e65e8123504d-d3j8poj.png (Note: may contain light blood and gore. View at own discretion.)

As far as I know, there are no set rules concerning images of this kind. I think you were rather careful with blood in your narrative, but then again, maybe the link/warning was a good thing also. I'd say we're A-OK here. And of course, I'd like you to continue. ;)
  • edited June 2011
    Look what I stumbled upon in my pile of old sketches and unfinished drawings. What do you guys think, should I give this one another chance?
    shotgun.gif

Also here's the original concept sketch I did for a drawing that ended up as a part of Sam & Max 2011 Fan Calendar, if you remember that.
    concept_art.gif
  • edited June 2011
    Sonekana wrote: »
    @cartoonistwill-great job! I don't think you'll get in trouble for mild blood and gore on the forums, normally it gets removed if it's at an extreme level. It was pretty mild so I wouldn't worry so much about it. Of course, I would honestly keep as a link, since not all people may be okay with the blood and gore. Awesome work though! I gotta love your color choices!

Thanks! Like I said in the post, I only did the script on this one. My friend Annie/JediAnnSolo did the artwork. I'm sure she'd really appreciate hearing that. :-) As a matter of fact, I forgot to place a link to her webcomic series that this appears in: http://jediannsolo.deviantart.com/#/d3j8poj and http://www.drunkduck.com/AGENCY/index.php
  • edited June 2011
    Holy crap YES.
  • edited June 2011
    @CORBETT- I'm with crfh. Definitely do it again.
  • edited June 2011
    dame2.jpg

Reposted from DA:

All the talk about a girlfriend for Sam got me to thinking how in noir fiction, there's almost never girlfriends, there's only "dames" that attempt to seduce hard-boiled detectives while either packing heat or planning to betray them XD

Therefore, an unnamed "dame". Unfortunately I don't think Sam would be able to handle it like Mike Hammer or one of those tough guys XD
  • edited June 2011
    dame2.jpg

Reposted from DA:

All the talk about a girlfriend for Sam got me to thinking how in noir fiction, there's almost never girlfriends, there's only "dames" that attempt to seduce hard-boiled detectives while either packing heat or planning to betray them XD

Therefore, an unnamed "dame". Unfortunately I don't think Sam would be able to handle it like Mike Hammer or one of those tough guys XD

Oh man oh man, I love this. C: The line work is amazing, as well as the concept. Gotta love it. xD It would've really added to the noir effect in Season 3's third episode if this happened.
  • edited June 2011
    @crfh

Oh wow, I continue to envy your inking abilities! Really, great job. And I agree, a "dame" would be a neat addition to the psuedo-noir style the Sam & Max franchise always carries. Of course I figure the boys would mostly ignore/misinterpret her advances, so. There's that :rolleyes:

It's funny that you should come up with something like this, because some time back I started a picture of "dame-ified" Sam & Max - i.e. what they'd be like if they were sultry noir dames. Then I realized the ridiculousness in that sentence and shelved it :p
  • edited June 2011
    Dameified Sam and Max??? Now I want to see that.

It's a good thing you guys liked that pic because my next piece is making me go to Hell. Guaranteed.
  • edited June 2011
    It's a good thing you guys liked that pic because my next piece is making me go to Hell. Guaranteed.

Colour me intrigued!
  • edited June 2011
    @CORBETT YES these are great. Keep goin'! What are you planning to do with the one on the top? If you don't mind me asking.
  • edited June 2011
    A little preview of what I'm working on. I still have to finish shading, background and visual effects, but I don't know when I'll have time for that, cause I'm also working on my own comic at this moment.
    SamMaxShotguns.gif
  • edited June 2011
    @CORBETT- Man, that's awesome! Love the inks and the detail to the guns are amazing!

Bah, whenever I can I should draw some Sam and Max fanart too. :P I've got a lot of requests at the moments so it's been kind of hard unfortunately. :C
  • edited June 2011
    *drools a little*
  • edited June 2011
    This is what happens when you play two games about psycho couples - Sam & Max and Kane & Lynch - in a single day. Somewhere along the way you realize that both these relationships are eventually self-destructive. And the only way to prevent this self-destruction, is to cause destruction on someone else. :D
    Anyway, I hope you like it and it was worth the wait.

SamMax-ShotgunsFA.jpg
  • edited June 2011
    C0RBETT wrote: »
    This is what happens when you play two games about psycho couples - Sam & Max and Kane & Lynch - in a single day. Somewhere along the way you realize that both these relationships are eventually self-destructive. And the only way to prevent this self-destruction, is to cause destruction on someone else. :D

*pic*

....Oh my god. I don't even have words. Just. akkjfdasjfdsa;fs.

BEAUTIFUL.
  • edited June 2011
    *DELURK'D*

I'm just gonna stand here in awe foaming at the mouth. Don't mind me.
  • edited June 2011
    I am in awe.
  • edited June 2011
    I'm officially checking out your deviantart now due to this awesome black and white line art. Great stuff!!

dame2.jpg

Reposted from DA:

• edited June 2011
    69e858b6a045c9e5f25b8c5d98ab5877-d3k47ty.png

This is page 3 of Sam and Max's cameo in Annie/JediAnnSolo's webcomic AGENCY. The cameo pages are written by me whereas all other parts of AGENCY are written and illustrated by Annie/JediAnnSolo. To read AGENCY and see more of Annie's artwork follow these links:

http://jediannsolo.deviantart.com/art/AGENCY-DAY-3-Intro-pg3-215187622

http://www.drunkduck.com/AGENCY/index.php
  • edited June 2011
    C0RBETT wrote: »

SamMax-ShotgunsFA.jpg

WOW! Blew me away, man! AWESOME!
  • edited June 2011
    Originally Posted by C0RBETT

THE AWESOME.

Dude. New wallpaper :D
  • edited June 2011
    Everything on this page is awesome.
  • edited June 2011
    I also like the shark comic. Keep it coming! :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.