The First Great Monkey Island Race of 2010

Comments

• edited July 2010
    pausing curse
  • edited July 2010
    resuming
  • edited July 2010
    I don't think your livestream is working hamza.
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2010
    CoMI finished in 2 hours 56 minutes with, once again, lovely viewers.

I'm doing my official run of Escape on Friday but will be streaming a practice run of Escape at http://livestream.com/teafailing which will hopefully not end as disastrously as my Lucre run.

I think I'll say 3pm for the practice run.
  • edited July 2010
    finished curse

2 hours 25 minutes
  • edited July 2010
    Question about escape. I've decided I am going to stream my run. But won't be able to comment much as going in chat makes the game pause (any ideas?). I may be able to get the laptop set up in the same room as the PC, I dunno.

I can just about do the vista point puzzle while livestreaming, but it is harder. If I muck up the timing on that while livestreaming could I have some sort of time handicap, given that nobody will muck it up in normal play?

That may be the deciding factor on whether I stream. Cheers :)

I wouldn't even know what sort of handicap to give you. I'm personally going to run the puzzle once, watch the boulders not get the right timing, and then load a save from immediately after the puzzle was completed.

So none of these race days are going at all how I planned. I was supposed to start Curse two hours ago, but that's not happening. I'll probably be back in a short while to do the SE runs, which I'm sure will be full of pausing and likely a dinner break, and I'll probably be playing Curse about five or six hours from now.
  • edited July 2010
    I finished Escape with a time of 4:40. It was looking pretty good, but Monkey Kombat went disastrous.
  • edited July 2010
    Your total time for the LucasArts games is 9:15. Very nice, that's five hours faster than last year.
  • edited July 2010
    Your total time for the LucasArts games is 9:15. Very nice, that's five hours faster than last year.

:guybrush::winslow: If this was last year, I'd be ahead of even OzzieMonkey now! But since you guys have improved even more than me, it looks like I'll be somewhere in the middle.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited July 2010
    I brought my controller out of storage, so I can use it in EMI, since I can't get the keyboard controls to work at all for some reason.

I'll play MI4 and Tales either later tonight or tomorrow, but I won't be able to stream MI4 since it takes up way too much memory for my PC.
  • edited July 2010
    Ugh. I fail so hard at punctuality. Okay, I'm going to start Curse now. Probably won't do the SEs at all now. And I'm going to try to stream Curse, but with my internet getting worse and worse all week, we'll see if that's even possible.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm not going to be participating either. I thought my wife and I would have time to sit down and play through these together now that we're taking vacation time, but there's just so much planned to do. I'm going to have to pull out as well. Sorry, guys.
  • edited July 2010
    Holy crap, that was absolute hell. I had a ton of problems with my internet cutting out, which meant a lot of time spent with both the game and the stopwatch paused. In the end, I managed to swing 2:23.
  • edited July 2010
    Sorry, apenpaap, I added wrong. Your LucasArts time is actually 11:15. That's still three hours better than last time, which isn't bad at all.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm going to start Curse most likely on the weekend or tomorrow, and this time I'm going to do a commentary. I'll make a test run first, to make sure you can all here me, and then we'll go from there.
  • edited July 2010
    Jenny wrote: »
    I didn't have to go to work today, so I was able to start and finish SMI. It took me so much longer than I expected.

SMI: 2:42

Question on text speed before I do my LR run. I was using ScummVM and I had it at max -2, but the text seemed like it was truly crawling. Did anyone else notice this using ScummVM to run their game?

In scummVM the text speed in options and text speed in main play are opposite scales to each other. Yeah... I know... In main play, press + until max, then - twice.
  • edited July 2010
    In scummVM the text speed in options and text speed in main play are opposite scales to each other. Yeah... I know... In main play, press + until max, then - twice.

Or set the options text speed to 2
  • edited July 2010
    I'm gonna start streaming escape in a bit over at http://www.livestream.com/doodmonkey
    I hope Herman doesn't tell some sort of horrible lie during my run.
  • edited July 2010
    This race is just getting better and better all the time. Escape just decided that all my save files are corrupt. Now I have to hope that the files off my laptop will work, or I have to play through, try repeatedly to get through the swamp until the game takes mercy on me and lets me get off the raft at Pete's, and then try the Vista Point puzzle repeatedly with a stopwatch until that works.

I'd say that right now the odds are about 50/50 that I'm not going to be playing Escape tomorrow as scheduled. At least not broadcasted and for the race, since I'm certain to be playing it either way.
  • edited July 2010
    for those who were watching, I'm gonna resume my escape run shortly, hopefully no more breaks until the end :) http://www.livestream.com/doodmonkey
  • edited July 2010
    Well, I've managed to get the first save I need for the race back. Unfortunately, the second save is all the way on Monkey Island.

Also, I've added a rule regarding the use of previously made saves. Basically, if the save is entirely a step backwards or a lateral move, it's fine. If it bypasses a puzzle or gains inventory, even if you still get set back in some other way, it's not okay.

I'll be honest, I did this so I could have multiple tries at the sushi boat puzzle without actually having to make the save during the race as per the existing rule. The way I figure it, it's in the rules, I've told everybody why I did it, and everyone has the same opportunity to do the same. If anyone has a problem with it, I'll change the rules back and I'll just make the save during the race.
  • edited July 2010
    Big piece of advice to anyone playing Escape: save after each Monkey Kombat. Both my own and doodinthemood's games crashed during Monkey Kombat. In my case the last save was shortly after I arrived on Monkey Island, and in his case all the way bakck on Knuttin Atoll.
  • edited July 2010
    Yeah my run is getting messed up pretty badly. Quite please I managed the boulder puzzle with the messed times though :D I won't be posting my time at the end but will work it out from the recordings I have.
  • edited July 2010
    Eesh, I don't envy you having to work out a time from that.

Well, I found a bunch of Escape save files online and managed to get my race saves all fixed up, so I should be ready to go tomorrow, though I may not be able to finish my practice run in time. I may run the game later than anticipated so I can finish that. At this point, I care less about getting a practice time and more about knowing what I'm doing, so I'll probably skip dialogue and cutscenes on the practice run and be done with it pretty quickly.

As an added bonus, since these are all new saves created specifically with the race in mind, rather than the saves I happened to make upon managing to get past those two annoying parts of the game, they work a lot better for me. Now I don't have to remember to not pick up the Eau de LeChuck before Dave's and can get it when I get the empty spritzer, and on Monkey Island, I can go straight to the Vista Point without having to remember to coconut Herman first.
  • edited July 2010
    and.... I've just pulled into dock :) Another hiccup at the end, but all my viewers had abandoned ship long before then. Sorry the stream wasn't as smooth as it could have been.
  • edited July 2010
    My escape time was 4 hrs 37 min.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm starting the PS2 version of Escape. If anyone would like to watch: www.livestream.com/blooglspash
  • edited July 2010
    I'm having real problems playing Escape windowed on my Windows 7 desktop PC. The game keeps freezing in places.

After my practice run, I'm going to test running it windowed on my laptop, and if that doesn't work properly I might just have to play in fullscreen and not be able to livestream it.
  • edited July 2010
    Pause
  • edited July 2010
    continue
  • edited July 2010
    I'm starting Launch of the Screaming Narwhal now.
  • edited July 2010
    Pause
  • edited July 2010
    continue
  • edited July 2010
    I finished!
  • edited July 2010
    Finished Launch of the Screaming Narwhal in 1:21. I'll start Spinner Cay in a while.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm starting The Siege of Spinner Cay now.
  • edited July 2010
    btw, I volunteer to play Secret of Monkey Island for fun after the race is over.

I can play in SE mode for the sake of listening to voice overs, but I do also have the EGA version so to demonstrate the Stump Joke.

edit:
    also, I decided not to play EMI windowed (and by extension, not broadcast it on Livestream,) because I've been having so many issues.

edit again: nevermind about the windowed issues... I just checked EMI on my laptop and it runs error free in windowed mode. hmm....
  • edited July 2010
    Updates!

IcedHope, your time on the LucasArts games is 12:25.

Blooglspash, your time on Escape is 5:25 and your total LucasArts time is 12:44.

Also, in order to prevent any more unfortunate addition errors on my part, I've created an Excel spreadsheet to add up your times. No more mistakes from me!

...Yeah, right...
  • edited July 2010
    Finished The Siege of Spinner Cay in 1:26. I'll start Lair of the Leviathan soon.
  • edited July 2010
    starting Tales ep 1
    I won't be livestreaming this chapter, but if people want me to I will stream the others
Sign in to comment in this discussion.