The First Great Monkey Island Race of 2010

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Starting my run now after a bunch of audio issues.
    Still a Secret run. :D
  • edited July 2010
    Aw, how come the Special Edition of 2 isn't allowed? :eek: Considering this race was started in order to celebrate its release it seems sad that it's been disallowed because of a couple of small speed differences. :P
  • edited July 2010
    Just noticed Hamza's run of MI2. Quicker than everyone last year, and with a slower speed setting. Great performance man, well done.

it just depends on the order you do things. Before you play figure out what task you are going to do first and what your going to do last.
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2010
    Starting MI2 in 25 minutes. Stream will be up in 15.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm starting Curse now.
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2010
    Starting Monkey Island 2 now.
  • edited July 2010
    thejoe is at http://www.livestream.com/teamonkeyrace10 and doing mic commentary. Don't pretend you have better things to do.
  • edited July 2010
    done with my run and don't know the time.

see you later folks...
  • edited July 2010
    Thanks for the run Manda. Was great fun. I get your run to be 3:47 from start to "turn off computer"
  • edited July 2010
    Sorry I'm running late, guys. I'll be back in about 10 minutes to update times and then start MI2. I'll probably do both SEs tomorrow before I start Curse.
  • edited July 2010
    Well, now that it's been proven that I have absolutely zero ability to estimate how long something's going to take me, I'm actually going to get these times updated and then jump on Livestream.
    Teeth wrote: »
    Aw, how come the Special Edition of 2 isn't allowed? :eek: Considering this race was started in order to celebrate its release it seems sad that it's been disallowed because of a couple of small speed differences. :P

The problem is that they're not small differences. The time difference between my practice runs of each version of the game is larger than the time difference between me and apenpaap for the whole race last year. If the game had been out last year and I'd used it and he hadn't, our positions would've been reversed. Right now there's just really not a good way to make it fair. And a few of us are playing the SE separately anyway.
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2010
    Run finished with a time of 2 hours and 6 minutes. There was an electrical problem which stopped the run at 1 hour 8 minutes, but I had the game paused during that time. The stream missed a few minutes due to networking issues.

But final time is 02:06 and thanks again to those who watched.
  • edited July 2010
    I finished Curse in 2:35. It looked like I was going to beat the record... But then the credits started.
  • edited July 2010
    Finished MI2 with a time of 1:50. Thanks to everyone who came to watch!
  • edited July 2010
    TheJoe what time was it where you live when you started your last stream. Coz i keep missing your streams coz it was 4:30 am in Australia when you started.
  • edited July 2010
    Starting CMI

8:22:45
  • edited July 2010
    End CMI

11:04:18

2hrs 41mins 27secs
  • edited July 2010
    Damn, I was trying to come watch for a while, but my internet refused to cooperate.

Well, I think I'm going to try to practice Escape tonight, and tomorrow I'll see if I have time to get in my two SE runs before I do Curse.
  • edited July 2010
    I might actually try recording the end of Secret in classic mode in the SE, so I'll use that time instead.
    EDIT: I got past that bit in the SE,so my new time is 1 hour and 56 minutes. Oh, and I'm starting MI2 now. Watch the feed http://livestream.com/ozziemonkeycast

EDIT: taking a break for a bit. I'm up to part 2 with 28 minutes play time. That felt quick.
    EDIT: Break over. Starting up again. You know where to watch.
    EDIT: Finished part 2 (well, pretty much, just gotta enter the crate) of Monkey 2 with a time of 1 hour and 26 minutes. I'm taking a break before I get to Lechuck's Fortress.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm gonna mess about with streaming escape in a while. Not the actual run. Gonna go from the start up to one monkey kombat fight skipping dialogue/cutscenes/etc. to see if my computer can cope with it. If you're bored or want ideas for a route to take, then please come along and tell me if anything's messing up :) http://www.livestream.com/doodmonkey
  • edited July 2010
    My practice run of Escape is definitely doing me some good. I'm finished with Lucre Island and going to pick it back up tomorrow, and hopefully finish before it's time to do my actual run on Thursday. However, I'm noticing issues with the game I didn't have before all that DVD and no-CD crack and fresh install business. Namely, the font in the subtitles is different from before, and for some reason, a lot of Guybrush's dialogue is silent. I think I might get rid of the copy installed from the DVD (since I threw out the DVD anyway) and do a fresh install off the CDs using the Quick installer. The whole thing makes me wish I'd skipped all that junk and gone for Alcohol 120% in the first place.
  • edited July 2010
    Starting up Revenge again. Streaming...
    http://livestream.com/ozziemonkeycast
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    TheJoe what time was it where you live when you started your last stream. Coz i keep missing your streams coz it was 4:30 am in Australia when you started.

19:30.

Also, I've decided to move my Escape run to Friday so I can use tomorrow for a practice run. I thought I was doing something this Friday but I'm not now, so whatever.

Curse of Monkey Island will still be 7:30 today, though.
  • edited July 2010
    TheJoe wrote: »
    19:30.

Also, I've decided to move my Escape run to Friday so I can use tomorrow for a practice run. I thought I was doing something this Friday but I'm not now, so whatever.

Curse of Monkey Island will still be 7:30 today, though.

How far off is that?
  • edited July 2010
    Finished Revenge in 1 hour and 43 minutes. Phew! the finale still gives me the shivers! Next is Curse!
    I'm doing commentary, so I'll probably leave that for the weekend. I get more time, plus I'll probably be able to do Escape in the same day, and maybe a bit of Tales.

EDIT: I've just tested Escape, and that's turned out fine.
  • edited July 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    How far off is that?

In 7 hours from this message.
  • edited July 2010
    damn thats 4:30 am
  • edited July 2010
    I've decided to play the original version of Secret for my time in the race instead of the SE. Starting now.
  • edited July 2010
    Starting LR at 11:34
  • edited July 2010
    Question about escape. I've decided I am going to stream my run. But won't be able to comment much as going in chat makes the game pause (any ideas?). I may be able to get the laptop set up in the same room as the PC, I dunno.

I can just about do the vista point puzzle while livestreaming, but it is harder. If I muck up the timing on that while livestreaming could I have some sort of time handicap, given that nobody will muck it up in normal play?

That may be the deciding factor on whether I stream. Cheers :)
  • edited July 2010
    I'm starting Curse now. If you want to watch: www.livestream.com/blooglspash
  • edited July 2010
    finished LR at 1:17

1 hour 43 mins
  • edited July 2010
    I'm finished with Secret. Thanks to some very bad news, I took a long break, but my time playing was 1:56. I'm starting Escape in an hour.
  • edited July 2010
    I finished Curse.
    3 hrs and 1 minute. Wow, I'm pretty bad at this.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm starting Escape now.
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2010
    Stream started. Game will begin in about 10 minutes.
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2010
    Starting CMI now.
  • edited July 2010
    starting curse
  • edited July 2010
    Unfortunately I'll be busy this week, so I won't be able to participate in the race :(
  • edited July 2010
    I didn't have to go to work today, so I was able to start and finish SMI. It took me so much longer than I expected.

SMI: 2:42

Question on text speed before I do my LR run. I was using ScummVM and I had it at max -2, but the text seemed like it was truly crawling. Did anyone else notice this using ScummVM to run their game?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.