The First Great Monkey Island Race of 2010

Comments

• edited July 2010
    His record run was using ScummVM at max text speed.

Even if I had another week, I'm not sure it'd be enough time to get the MI2:SE thing sorted out. I'm throwing in the towel on it. After the race, I'll get to work on determining a fair way to do it for the next race. I'm not going to do a rush job and have it still be unfair one way or the other.
  • edited July 2010
    oh Guru, you reacted like I was claiming you were cheating :p I totally believe that your and ozzie's runs were legit, they're just the toughest there to beat this time around.
  • edited July 2010
    I got 1 hour 56 mins on my last SOMI:SE run, is that a reasonable time?
  • edited July 2010
    It's a shame Revenge's SE isn't allowed, but c'est la jus de vie. It seems I'll be the first up in the race (In 13 hours).
  • edited July 2010
    well I could start racing in 5 hours since it will officially be the 12th in Australia then.
  • edited July 2010
    O yeah, since the SE isn't allowed, are we allowed to play Revenge on maximum speed?
  • edited July 2010
    The rules say to play LR just like SOMI
  • edited July 2010
    oh Guru, you reacted like I was claiming you were cheating :p I totally believe that your and ozzie's runs were legit, they're just the toughest there to beat this time around.

Oh, I knew you weren't accusing me or anything. And I totally agree, that time is pretty much impossible to beat. I was hoping to get my time down further to get me closer to Ozzie's total time, but it's pretty much impossible to cut down the time on Curse any further.
    apenpaap wrote: »
    It's a shame Revenge's SE isn't allowed, but c'est la jus de vie. It seems I'll be the first up in the race (In 13 hours).

I know, I really wanted to make it work, but it happens. I've got a few months to prepare for the next one, so hopefully I can get it going by then. Good luck with your race!

Edit: Yeah, what prizna said. Now, I'm going to bed. Hopefully I'll feel up to finishing race prep tomorrow, but after so many trips carrying boxes to a third floor apartment, I'll consider myself lucky to manage getting out of bed.
  • edited July 2010

IT'S NOT ALLOWED!! That means I can't do the race! :_( I tried using Monkey Island Explorer to install it on Scummvm, but it didn't work! I was so excited when I got up this morning. But now, all the notes I made on MI2 are useless. :(
    :guybrush: Guybrush will dance no more.:(

Edit: Guybrush can dance again! (look below) :guybrush: :winslow:
  • edited July 2010
    Blegh, I was afraid that was going to happen. At this point, it's not like you'd get any sort of advantage from using the SE. Quite the opposite, in fact.

All right, I'm willing to say that LeChuck's Revenge SE is only allowed if you absolutely don't have access to the original, and then you get a five minute handicap. Would everyone else be okay with that?
  • edited July 2010
    I'm okay with it.
  • edited July 2010
    Okay guys, I think the rules are pretty much final, so you might want to give them a quick read before the race starts.

In a few short hours, I'm going to get to start recording the first of the 180 times I have to record. Woo.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited July 2010
    I got a livestream set up at http://www.livestream.com/jennibee

But I don't know how to record my playthrough. How do you get it to record the screen without using a webcam?
  • edited July 2010
    Go to the website and click "Livestream Procaster" at the top. Procaster is the reason we're all using Livestream instead of Ustream or Justin.tv or something. It's a program Livestream created specifically for broadcasting either from your screen or whatever DirectX (8 or above) game you're playing.
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2010
    IT'S NOT ALLOWED!! That means I can't do the race! :_( I tried using Monkey Island Explorer to install it on Scummvm, but it didn't work! I was so excited when I got up this morning. But now, all the notes I made on MI2 are useless. :(
    :guybrush: Guybrush will dance no more.:(

It will work. Trust me.

Open Monkey2.pak in Monkey Explorer and then go to "View...", you can select what .filetypes you want to see and the ones you don't. Choose .000 and save it to a location, then choose .001 and do the same. Make sure they are in the same folder. Then add the game in ScummVM.

Make sure you are using the very latest MISE Explorer, as 0.2 does not support MI2 without extracting corrupted files.

This same method works with MI1, however you will not have music unless you extract MusicOriginal.xwb in the SE files and convert them to MP3. You can also get the soundtrack at various locations.
  • edited July 2010
    I kinda feel ignored. But whatever.

Now here's the bad news first. I forgot my stupid USB stick at home which means I still have to see if the first two or three games will work with ScummVM, they didn't work without it as I feared. Secondly, I'm gonna have to test that tomorrow after another horribly sleepless and way too hot night (the city is burnin) which means I'll have to get up early and try my best to start running things before 8am EST+1 (I don't even know if that's the right time zone). I will not have the chance to stream those old school games but will try to post the details here later.

But now here's the good news. Luckily I do have the chance to participate, and I am really happy that, in fact, my laptop is not slowing down the games. I also have access to wireless lan (YEAH) as long as I'm stuck here. Another problem that comes to mind is that I, as I mentioned above, have not yet tested if any of the first three games actually works, but I wanted to see if Escape would crash again as soon as I would enter the House of Sticks (or whatever it's called in English). It really didn't crash (woot YES) and I've even come a bit further. I also may have the chance to get some extra time to speed run the other games prior to their actual race dates.

Three more things to say: 1. I won't come home on Tuesday which means I won't have to play the hardest of the games (in my opinion) on the day I have the least time for it. 2. I will try to set up a time schedule for my race dates and may also launch a super cool livestream account in case somebody wants to watch the German version along with a funny audio comment, be it in English or German. 3. I couldn't even check how bad this novel above actually turned out.

G'night people, hope someone reads this and cares. Oo'
  • edited July 2010
    TheJoe wrote: »
    It will work. Trust me.

Open Monkey2.pak in Monkey Explorer and then go to "View...", you can select what .filetypes you want to see and the ones you don't. Choose .000 and save it to a location, then choose .001 and do the same. Make sure they are in the same folder. Then add the game in ScummVM.

Make sure you are using the very latest MISE Explorer, as 0.2 does not support MI2 without extracting corrupted files.

This same method works with MI1, however you will not have music unless you extract MusicOriginal.xwb in the SE files and convert them to MP3. You can also get the soundtrack at various locations.

Okay, I used Monkey Island Explorer version 0.0.3 and put the files in a folder. Scummvm found the files. When I try to launch the game it gives me this message:
    "ERROR: charset 1 not in room 4 at 0+151338 in file monkey2.001!"
    Under it is a place where I can type something. I am using Windows Vista and Scummvm version 1.1.1 Does anyone know what to type or what to do?
  • edited July 2010
    Blegh, I was afraid that was going to happen. At this point, it's not like you'd get any sort of advantage from using the SE. Quite the opposite, in fact.

All right, I'm willing to say that LeChuck's Revenge SE is only allowed if you absolutely don't have access to the original, and then you get a five minute handicap. Would everyone else be okay with that?

Okay, Great! Now, do I turn voices on or off and what text speed do I use for the special edition? (I will use classic mode)
    edited July 2010
    Go to the website and click "Livestream Procaster" at the top. Procaster is the reason we're all using Livestream instead of Ustream or Justin.tv or something. It's a program Livestream created specifically for broadcasting either from your screen or whatever DirectX (8 or above) game you're playing.
    Thanks. :)

I'm going to try to play through all 9 games in a marathon tomorrow on the 12th. I don't have the aversion to Monkey Island 4 that you guys do, since I like the game a lot, so hopefully I'll be able to do it. :D
  • edited July 2010
    Jennifer wrote: »

I'm going to try to play through all 9 games in a marathon tomorrow on the 12th. I don't have the aversion to Monkey Island 4 that you guys do, since I like the game a lot, so hopefully I'll be able to do it. :D

I'd really advise against it. Last race, we did two games each day (and Tales on the third) and it was pretty exhausting, Escape or not. Going through all five would be really tiring. I'll probably drop in to watch (if you use livestream) at some point.
  • edited July 2010
    I just discovered that GMT isn't set to summer time like I thought. So the times I'll be starting are really:
    The Secret of Monkey Island: 11 July, 22:00 GMT (In a couple of minutes)
    LeChuck's Revenge: 12 July, 18:00 GMT
    Curse: 13 July, 18:00 GMT
    Escape: 14 July, 18:00 GMT
    Tales: 15 July, 18:00 GMT
    edited July 2010
    I'd really advise against it. Last race, we did two games each day (and Tales on the third) and it was pretty exhausting, Escape or not. Going through all five would be really tiring. I'll probably drop in to watch (if you use livestream) at some point.
    I need to get screenshots of injokes from Monkey 4 and the last 4 episodes of Tales for my website, so hopefully pushing the screen capture button will break the monotony during my marathon playthrough. :D
  • edited July 2010
    So, I think I'll start Secret at about 23:00 GMT. (I'll post when I start)
  • edited July 2010
    Mandahaya wrote: »
    I kinda feel ignored. But whatever.

Sorry, I just wasn't sure what to say about your post. I'm glad to hear that everything seems to be working out for you to participate. Keep us posted.
    Okay, Great! Now, do I turn voices on or off and what text speed do I use for the special edition? (I will use classic mode)

I have very little experience with classic mode in that game, so I really have no idea. Giving you five minutes is the best way I can figure to try and balance your time, but if you're playing in classic mode, several things change.
    Jennifer wrote: »

I cannot stress how bad an idea this is. We did the first race in a one day shot and nobody finished. I was playing Monkey Island from 8 am to 4 am and I didn't even make it past the first chapter of Tales. I can't stop you from trying, but I strongly discourage against it.
  • edited July 2010
    I had some minor technical troubles, but I'm starting Secret right now.
  • edited July 2010
    Okay, I have a Live stream account now. http://www.livestream.com/blooglspash
    I'll be playing Secret at about 23:00 GMT
  • edited July 2010
    I am starting secret now
  • edited July 2010
    Taking a Break
  • edited July 2010
    Break is over
  • edited July 2010
    And I finished Secret, in 2:40.
  • edited July 2010
    I finished Secret. Unfortoneatly there was a part near the end where the game froze and it took me 4 minutes and 1 second to get back to where I was. Proof: www.livestream.com/blooglspash
    2 hrs and 1 minute-4 minutes for freeze=1 hr 57 min.!
    edited July 2010
    I'm starting the Secret of Monkey Island now :)
    edited July 2010
    I finished with Monkey 1 at 2 hours and 12 minutes.

I'm starting Monkey 2 now. :)
  • edited July 2010
    Has anyone else using either the DVD installer or a no-disc mod for Escape had problems with the audio not playing for the disc 1 half of the game?

Edit: I found out what causes the problem. In order to combine the folders on the original discs, you have to overwrite files from one disc or the other. Whichever disc gets overwritten won't have music for that portion of the game. Does anyone know how to overcome this?
  • edited July 2010
    I can't start yet, due to me being at my grandparents right now, but I might start tomorrow after school but no promises. The most likely time for me to start is on Friday 17.00 GMT+10. Yes, I'll be broadcasting, but maybe not commentating as planned.
  • edited July 2010
    This should work Guru http://dl.gamecopyworld.com/?c=20664&d=2006&f=EFMI-1.1.NoCD!rar

Choose the first one then mirror one
  • edited July 2010
    I'm gonna start at 9:20 GMT (in 5 minutes) over at livestream.com/doodmonkey if you guys wanna start flocking in now XD
    edited July 2010
    I finished Monkey Island 2 at 2 hours and 27 minutes.

Sleep's gotten the better of me. I'll play more when I wake up. :)
  • edited July 2010
    Im starting Secret Now.

Edit: My game Crashed and I had no save file. Starting again at 8:42
  • edited July 2010
    Finished. 1:41
Sign in to comment in this discussion.