The First Great Monkey Island Race of 2010

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I would say you couldn't then win the whole race, but you still would have a shot at having the fastest time for the games which you do have.

Second, you're missing out. Curse is one of the best MI games (imo, the best is a tie between Curse and Tales.) I'm not trying to start another which-game-is-best/worst argument. I'm just saying that it would behoove you to obtain CMI.

Overstock.com has a new copy for $25.
  • edited July 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    I would say you couldn't then win the whole race, but you still would have a shot at having the fastest time for the games which you do have.

Second, you're missing out. Curse is one of the best MI games (imo, the best is a tie between Curse and Tales.) I'm not trying to start another which-game-is-best/worst argument. I'm just saying that it would behoove you to obtain CMI.

Overstock.com has a new copy for $25.

I've been looking at that. But I'm just afraid It won't ship in time for the race.:( (plus, the fact that I haven't played it will put me at a huge disavantage)
  • edited July 2010
    BTW, Is wiiware lag going to be accounted for or am I just going to have to hope the game doesn't freeze? Also, what are the rules on games freezing? Do we get any compensation for that?
  • edited July 2010
    Just don't count freezes. The gameplay speed should be fine, though, otherwise.
  • edited July 2010
    Just don't count freezes. The gameplay speed should be fine, though, otherwise.
    So, we time ourselves?
  • edited July 2010
    Can you add the following to the main post:
    Text Speeds
    Secret of Monkey Island: 7
    Secret of Monkey Island special edition: +1
    LeChuck's Revenge: 7
    LeChuck's Revenge special edition: +1
    Curse of Monkey Island: Speech and text or Speech only
    Escape from Monkey Island: Speech and text or Speech only

It'd be useful having those in one place as a written rule.
  • edited July 2010
    Oh, I almost forgot. My PS2 has a problem with the disk tray. It will randomly think the tray is open when I'm playing games. I've tried putting game cases on top of the lid but it doesn't help very much. I'm using a PS2 slim, does anyone have any advice?
  • edited July 2010
    Clean it, check out the hole that the pokey thing goes into, something in there might be broken. Take it to repair, or ram a paperclip in there.
  • edited July 2010
    Can you add the following to the main post:
    Text Speeds
    Secret of Monkey Island: 7
    Secret of Monkey Island special edition: +1
    LeChuck's Revenge: 7
    LeChuck's Revenge special edition: +1
    Curse of Monkey Island: Speech and text or Speech only
    Escape from Monkey Island: Speech and text or Speech only

It'd be useful having those in one place as a written rule.

Actually the rule was:

Secret of Monkey Island: +1
    Secret of Monkey Island special edition: max
  • edited July 2010
    Oh right, I think +1 is 7 for scummvm
  • edited July 2010
    Oh, I almost forgot. My PS2 has a problem with the disk tray. It will randomly think the tray is open when I'm playing games. I've tried putting game cases on top of the lid but it doesn't help very much. I'm using a PS2 slim, does anyone have any advice?

Have you tried setting the PS2 up vertically? I have a stand for mine to do that.

One day I noticed my ps2slim making some sort of odd clicking noise, as though the head with the laser lens in it was bumping against one end of the track (a different, louder sound than the normal sound it makes when reading discs.) idk, I'm just guessing. It didn't cause issues with my gameplay, but it just bothered me and I already had a stand (just had taken it off for when I went out of town with it.) When I set it up vertically, the noise stopped. I don't know if it will still do that if I put it sideways again, but I do usually have it sitting vertically anyway. Have you tried that?

80842112.jpg

Also, I've sometimes noticed games not reading right in my ps2slim when I start them up, but has always turned out that I didn't make sure the disc clipped onto the spindle in the middle well enough (which is to say, I open the ps2, push on the disc, it clicks further into place and then it works fine.)
  • edited July 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    Have you tried setting the PS2 up vertically? I have a stand for mine to do that.

One day I noticed my ps2slim making some sort of odd clicking noise, as though the head with the laser lens in it was bumping against one end of the track (a different, louder sound than the normal sound it makes when reading discs.) idk, I'm just guessing. It didn't cause issues with my gameplay, but it just bothered me and I already had a stand (just had taken it off for when I went out of town with it.) When I set it up vertically, the noise stopped. I don't know if it will still do that if I put it sideways again, but I do usually have it sitting vertically anyway. Have you tried that?

80842112.jpg

Also, I've sometimes noticed games not reading right in my ps2slim when I start them up, but has always turned out that I didn't make sure the disc clipped onto the spindle in the middle well enough (which is to say, I open the ps2, push on the disc, it clicks further into place and then it works fine.)

Thanks, I don't have a stand but I'm pretty sure I can balance it verticaly ;)
    @Doodinthemood, I looked at my PS2 but I couldn't find anything wrong with it.
  • edited July 2010
    Thanks, I don't have a stand but I'm pretty sure I can balance it verticaly ;)

I bought my ps2 stand from Gamestop for not very much at all. 5 bucks maybe.

Also, have you tried using a CD laser lens cleaner (one of those CD's with a brush affixed to it) in your ps2? idk, but maybe the real problem is your laser lens is dusty and has issues reading discs.
  • edited July 2010
    I know I ask too many questions but here are 5 more.
    1: Does saving your game count as taking a break? IE: Deduct time for it?
    2: Can you use livestream for some games and just post start/stop times for others?
    3: Is there a way to make a live commentary when using livestream?
    4: Do you have to post start/stop times here even if you're using Livestream?
    5: The only monkey island game I don't have is Curse. If I order it today can I join the contest? (or is it too late?)
  • edited July 2010
    1:nope.

2:yes.

3:if you have a microphone or a headset, then yes.

4:yes, though I dunno if you have to post the start time exactly as you start playing.

5:depends on how long it takes for you to get it. the race takes place between the 12th and the
    18th, so you have at least 6 days to get it (if I were you, I would buy it legally, and download a torrent copy to play while you wait for it to ship so you get some time to play it before you officially race, but that's just me.) If you can't get it in enough time, I bet you can still race for fastest time in each individual game.

6:chicken sandwich.
  • edited July 2010
    Not a good idea to post links to warez/pirated software on a game forum. TTG doesn't really support that kind of thing. At least PM it or email or something. Don't splash it all over the forums.
  • edited July 2010
    Argh! Dangnabbit Chyron! I scrolled back up to see which of the questions had the answer "chicken sandwich" :p
  • edited July 2010
    Jeez, guys.

First off, Hamza, would you please remove that link? I'd rather this thread didn't get locked.

The console versions are a bit tricky. I don't have access to any of them (or for that matter, any of the consoles Monkey Island is on other than the Wii), so I can't figure out how they compare.

If you don't have the full series, you definitely can't win the full race, but I'm a little uncertain about counting your times for the other games.
  • edited July 2010
    I just ordered Curse so count me in for the race! (If it isn't too late)
    BTW: I have the Wiiware version of Tales and the PS2 version of Escape, I can still do the race right?
  • edited July 2010
    I don't see why not. If you don't have Curse by the time you finish the first two games in the race, you can skip over it and play it as soon as you get it, though you may want to do an initial run and then post a time for your second run.
  • edited July 2010
    Argh! Dangnabbit Chyron! I scrolled back up to see which of the questions had the answer "chicken sandwich" :p
    It was the hidden 6th question "What should I have for dinner tonight?" ;)
  • edited July 2010
    I don't see why not. If you don't have Curse by the time you finish the first two games in the race, you can skip over it and play it as soon as you get it, though you may want to do an initial run and then post a time for your second run.

Does that mean I can do my run (for curse) after the week is over?
  • edited July 2010
    Is there any reason why we couldn't extend this over a period of two weeks instead of one? Seeing as it's not a race in the conventional sense anyway.
  • edited July 2010
    My main reason for not wanting to extend the race is because my dad is on vacation for two weeks immediately following the race dates, so I'd like to have the race finished before I suddenly become either incredibly busy or totally absent. Also, two weeks just seems like an awful long time for this.

On the other hand, though, I'm already being extremely flexible about the race period (and apparently the must-play-in-order rule, which I didn't even have a good reason for in the first place), so even if I don't officially change the dates, the race is pretty much set to take place from the 12th to whenever everyone's finished.
  • edited July 2010
    You know what we should do for the Sam and max race? Make it so that the first time you play episode 305 is your race time. So that no one already knows the answers and we are all on even ground
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2010
    You know what we should do for the Sam and max race? Make it so that the first time you play episode 305 is your race time. So that no one already knows the answers and we are all on even ground

This is the Monkey Island race.
  • edited July 2010
    TheJoe wrote: »
    This is the Monkey Island race.

I know, but I'm thinking about the future.
  • edited July 2010
    While it's an interesting idea, it has the exact same problem as LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition. Everyone wants to be able to spend their first playthrough examining the whole game thoroughly, appreciating it. Nobody wants to have their first experience with the game be a rushed thing.

Besides, the whole purpose is to get through as fast as possible, so it wouldn't be a proper result.
  • edited July 2010
    While it's an interesting idea, it has the exact same problem as LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition. Everyone wants to be able to spend their first playthrough examining the whole game thoroughly, appreciating it. Nobody wants to have their first experience with the game be a rushed thing.

Besides, the whole purpose is to get through as fast as possible, so it wouldn't be a proper result.

You're right. The fact that I always think of the stupidest ideas makes me the worst person to run the Sam and Max race. I would totally participate though :D
    BTW: If anyone's looking for Hit the Road :rolleyes: http://www.amazon.com/Sam-Max-Hit-the-Road/dp/B0007WOX4A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278469484&sr=1-1
  • edited July 2010
    You're right. The fact that I always think of the stupidest ideas makes me the worst person to run the Sam and Max race. I would totally participate though :D

As would I. It's not a stupid idea, it just requires a different skill set. The race is more about "How fast can you beat the game from memory" instead of "How infrequently can you keep from getting stuck."
  • edited July 2010
    Blegh, this all reminds me that I need to get that thread started. If you missed it earlier, I'm going to be running the Sam and Max race on behalf of Icedhope, but all final decisions are up to him.
  • edited July 2010
    Blegh, this all reminds me that I need to get that thread started. If you missed it earlier, I'm going to be running the Sam and Max race on behalf of Icedhope, but all final decisions are up to him.

Don't let Icedhope push you around Guru! You can start the thread without his permission! ;)
  • edited July 2010
    Oh, I have permission. I'm just being lazy. But really, that race is his brainchild, but since I don't want to play Hit the Road again, I'm sitting it out, so I'm helping him run it so he can focus on playing.
  • edited July 2010
    Oh, I have permission. I'm just being lazy. But really, that race is his brainchild, but since I don't want to play Hit the Road again, I'm sitting it out, so I'm helping him run it so he can focus on playing.

You don't like Hit the Road? :confused::eek::mad:
  • edited July 2010
    What? I thought you loved Conroy Bumpus singing "King of the Creatures" :D
  • edited July 2010
    I enjoyed parts of Hit the Road, but on the whole it didn't really sit well with me. Good thing I didn't choose to play it until after I'd purchased the first two Telltale seasons but before I'd played them yet, otherwise I might never have experienced the awesome of the Telltale games.
  • edited July 2010
    Right, considering we have recently found out that the opening credits have been cut from the special edition of Monkey 2, can we still play the special edition, or are we required to play the classic game now? We could always add the time of the credits onto our normal time to make it fair for people who are playing in classic mode. Either that or we can let people playing the classic mode skip the title sequence. I kinda prefer the latter.
  • edited July 2010
    My copy of the game won't be unlocking for another 10 hours and 37 minutes, so I'm really not in a position to answer that question yet. I'll get to it, though, don't worry. I intend to do various tests on a second playthrough to try and figure out how to work it into the race. I really want to use the SE for my race, so you can be sure that I'll be working hard to make that possible.
  • edited July 2010
    My copy of the game won't be unlocking for another 10 hours and 37 minutes, so I'm really not in a position to answer that question yet. I'll get to it, though, don't worry. I intend to do various tests on a second playthrough to try and figure out how to work it into the race. I really want to use the SE for my race, so you can be sure that I'll be working hard to make that possible.

I also read a review where it said that not only were the opening credits missing, but so were the "so something constructive" lines.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.