The First Great Monkey Island Race of 2010

Comments

• edited July 2010
    ok, I guess im just confused coz the different MI games have different ways of skipping

Escape is delete (well thats what I set it for)
    Tales is right click
    and some lines of dialogue in Curse can be skipped with esc but the majority can only be skipped with the full stop
  • edited July 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    ok, I guess im just confused coz the different MI games have different ways of skipping

Escape is delete (well thats what I set it for)
    Tales is right click
    and some lines of dialogue in Curse can be skipped with esc but the majority can only be skipped with the full stop

The one gripe I have with Telltale adventure games: You can't skip anything more than a line of dialogue. That said though, why who you want to, unless you lost all your saves and had to start again, thus needing to get to the part you were up to faster.
  • edited July 2010
    Thats the main reason I want the skips, to make it quicker to get to a certain part I want to check out that I dont have a save for.
  • edited July 2010
    Do you count Curse as started at the "The Monkeys are Listening" screen?
  • edited July 2010
    in CMI, the Esc button skips sections of a cutscene, and the period . button skips individual lines of lines dialogue both in cutscenes and in conversations. I haven't figured out if there even is a skip-everything button for conversations though.

edit: okay, so Esc seems to work to skip some conversations and not others. I just pulled up an old save, and it seemed to skip dialogue with the Voodoo Lady and Slappy Cromwell, but not with Palido.
  • edited July 2010
    Have fun with this, guys!

I won't be joining, because my last playthrough of the series took me over a month of real time.
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2010
    Have fun with this, guys!

I won't be joining, because my last playthrough of the series took me over a month of real time.

Then get practising!
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited July 2010
    If it's not too late to join in on the fun, I'd love to participate. :)
  • edited July 2010
    Just had a practice run of Curse and got 2 hours & 46 mins
  • edited July 2010
    My record stands!

And Jennifer, sure, you're in.

And I'm going to say timing on Curse begins when you select a difficulty.
  • edited July 2010
    My record stands!

I can just imagine someone taking hours thinking about what difficulty to choose, only to realize that the rules stated mega-monkey only.
  • edited July 2010
    My record stands!

Was your record 2 h 30 mins from the last race coz I dont know how I could hav possibly cut 16 mins off my time.
  • edited July 2010
    Yeah, that's the fastest recorded time yet. I'm hoping to cut it even further, but we'll see.
  • edited July 2010
    When I did mine I didnt speak to anyone I didnt have to and only asked what I had to, the only thing im thinking it could be is the sea battle.
  • edited July 2010
    I dunno. At some point, I'm hoping to have a chance to watch my run of Curse from the last race and see how I did. Procaster saved my broadcasts of Curse and Tales to my hard drive, so I've been using them every so often to see how I did things.
  • edited July 2010
    Oh yeah, there's a definite speed advantage to playing the original versions of Secret and LeChuck's Revenge. I'm still working out how much of an advantage and what the text speed cap needs to be, though.
  • edited July 2010
    Yep, it's official. I just finished a 1:27 run of Secret, compared to my recent 2:03 special edition run using the exact same path through the game.
  • edited July 2010
    @ prizna, the important thing is not just "only doing the necessary actions", it's doing them in the quickest order - getting everything you need at one place the first time around so you needn't return. This is least significant in CMI because of the double clicking, but still present.
    The SMI race is basically just "who can do the swordfighting bit fastest?" though :p
  • edited July 2010
    You think so? There's a lot of extra room for back and forth in Secret.
  • edited July 2010
    Hrrrm, true. I said that because it's quite a short game, and the swordfighting bit can mean record time, or 10 minutes slower.
  • edited July 2010
    That's true, to an extent.

I can't tell you guys how tired I am of the opening scene of Secret. I've watched it six times tonight, and I still have to watch it another two. I should have official word on text speed in about ten minutes, though, as well as a new rule that I wasn't expecting.
  • edited July 2010
    Is the new rule "You do not talk about the First Great Monkey Island Race of 2010"?
  • edited July 2010
    News, everyone!

The official ruling is that maximum text speed in Special Edition is equivalent to default +1 (maximum -2) in the original game. However, Special Edition running in classic mode runs at the same text speed as the original, so original rules apply if you use that method to play. I'm going to say that maximum text speed for SE and default +1 for original/classic mode is mandatory.
  • edited July 2010
    That may make icedhope's record unbeatable, but I suppose it's fair :)
  • edited July 2010
    Well, with the rule change, the old records for the first two games don't really count anymore, since they're now unachievable, as you said. The new records will be the fastest times posted in this race.
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2010
    News, everyone!

The official ruling is that maximum text speed in Special Edition is equivalent to default +1 (maximum -2) in the original game. However, Special Edition running in classic mode runs at the same text speed as the original, so original rules apply if you use that method to play. I'm going to say that maximum text speed for SE and default +1 for original/classic mode is mandatory.

Are we talking about ScummVM's text speed option here?
  • edited July 2010
    ScummVM or whatever method you use to play the original game. As far as I know, it's present in all versions and the speed is equivalent. Extensive research and all that.
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2010
    I don't see any speed options in the SE, so is the default alright? I just spent money on this thing so I guess I may as well use it in the race.
  • edited July 2010
    Switch to classic mode and press "+".
  • edited July 2010
    The Way I did it in 1:23 was

Theivery
    Sword mastery
    Treasure huntery-ery

Just so you guys have a fair chance :)
  • edited July 2010
    Yeah, but you did it under text speed that isn't allowed anymore. I did it thievery, treasure huntery, and then sword mastery and came in only five minutes behind your time.
  • edited July 2010
    I dont understand how it took some people over 12 hours to finish escape last time.
  • edited July 2010
    Yeah, but you did it under text speed that isn't allowed anymore. I did it thievery, treasure huntery, and then sword mastery and came in only five minutes behind your time.

Yeah, I'm going to not try and do records, and actually do a race this time. :P
  • edited July 2010
    I dont understand how it took some people over 12 hours to finish escape last time.

I think people got super stuck on both the lava puzzle and monkey kombat last time.
  • edited July 2010
    I think people got super stuck on both the lava puzzle and monkey kombat last time.

Even before that, IIRC. Harald took a long time on Lucre Island, I think. At least he was on Lucre Island when I finished Escape, though we started at the same time. Then when I woke up he was almost at the end (I really admired his sticktoitiveness for playing Escape for so long).
  • edited July 2010

ok, thats still a long time to get stuck on those puzzles though
  • edited July 2010
    With Icedhope, I think it was computer troubles. With harald, I think it was just a matter of getting totally stuck.
  • edited July 2010
    With Icedhope, I think it was computer troubles. With harald, I think it was just a matter of getting totally stuck.

Mine was computer troubles, and I'm getting a new one fairly soon?
  • edited July 2010
    Just something im wondering:

Are you allowed to right down the map directions for the games beforehand to avoid looking at the map entering in a few then looking back at the map, just wondering coz there is a lot of them, the dancing steps from somi, the light puzzle from curse, the raft in escape and the animal noises and wind in tales.
  • edited July 2010
    Just something im wondering:

Are you allowed to right down the map directions for the games beforehand to avoid looking at the map entering in a few then looking back at the map, just wondering coz there is a lot of them, the dancing steps from somi, the light puzzle from curse, the raft in escape and the animal noises and wind in tales.

Why not? :confused:
Sign in to comment in this discussion.