The First Great Monkey Island Race of 2010

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Yea I guess, well what about sitting down, playing the game and writting down the fastest way to complete the game so you can refer to it during the race?
  • edited July 2010
    Prizna, don't write down the directions for the raft in escape. They change every game :p
    Also MonkeyCombat should theoretically change every game, but I'm not totally sure.
  • edited July 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    Yea I guess, well what about sitting down, playing the game and writting down the fastest way to complete the game so you can refer to it during the race?

That...sounds a little extreme...
  • edited July 2010

I think that falls under the "no walkthroughs" rule.
  • edited July 2010
    I don't know. I guess it depends on the level of detail and if we want to make this about preparation or instinct. I definitely wouldn't allow anything with puzzle solutions in it, but if it was a document outlining just the order of puzzles...

I'll have to think about it. This really calls into question how much preparation we're allowing.
  • edited July 2010
    I meant just the order to do puzzles, not the solutions, and actually i meant writing down the order of puzzles from memory, not after/while playing it.
  • edited July 2010
    I meant just the order to do puzzles, not the solutions, and actually i meant writing down the order of puzzles from memory, not after/while playing it.

I would honestly stay start playing it now, so your prepared for when the race comes, thats the way I do it.
  • edited July 2010
    Icedhope wrote: »
    I would honestly stay start playing it now, so your prepared for when the race comes, thats the way I do it.

Me too. In fact I just finished Rise of the Pirate God. This approach also has the advantage that I won't be so tempted to go explore all those funny side jokes that the games are full off during the race, as I've done them already.
  • edited July 2010
    Okay, so I have SMI, LR, CMI, and Tales all working on my computer. But it is taking me forever to get Escape going. But I will get it by next week.... I hope. I'm actually kind of excited to play Escape again, it's been so long.

I'm not playing in advance, I'm going all on instinct. It should be rather interesting.
  • edited July 2010
    Jenny wrote: »
    Okay, so I have SMI, LR, CMI, and Tales all working on my computer. But it is taking me forever to get Escape going. But I will get it by next week.... I hope. I'm actually kind of excited to play Escape again, it's been so long.

I'm not playing in advance, I'm going all on instinct. It should be rather interesting.

What's the prob with Escape? I had a problem where it went to black screen and then froze, amd I was forced to use a No-CD crack for it to work.
  • edited July 2010
    What, there are people who haven't yet memorized the dancing steps in SoMI? ;)

I never buy the map anymore. I just follow the shopkeeper and take the other path.
  • edited July 2010
    I don't know. I guess it depends on the level of detail and if we want to make this about preparation or instinct. I definitely wouldn't allow anything with puzzle solutions in it, but if it was a document outlining just the order of puzzles...

I'll have to think about it. This really calls into question how much preparation we're allowing.

So anything on this, if it was just writting down an order to do puzzles and not solutions to do them.
  • edited July 2010
    In Escape, Raft Directions and MonkeyCombat rules change but are the same for whatever fake name Pegnose Pete uses for prostheses. Anyone with a lot of time on their hands could develop charts for each and every name and save a heap of time :p

More pressingly, what's this about no walkthroughs? I read the rules and cannot see anything about no walkthroughs. I used UHS when playing through curse recently (but won't be using it for my actual run) is that allowed? What is the rule specifically?
  • edited July 2010
    You know, I think I never finished debating "no walkthroughs". My thought was that if you need a walkthrough, you're not likely to do as well in the race anyway, even with one. I guess I just sort of went with it without ever actively writing it down.

What has me torn is that I've been considering doing exactly what prizna suggested. But as I said earlier, this really calls into question how much that sort of thing ought to be allowed.
  • edited July 2010
    You know, I think I never finished debating "no walkthroughs". My thought was that if you need a walkthrough, you're not likely to do as well in the race anyway, even with one. I guess I just sort of went with it without ever actively writing it down.

What has me torn is that I've been considering doing exactly what prizna suggested. But as I said earlier, this really calls into question how much that sort of thing ought to be allowed.

So does that mean we can do it as long as we are just writting puzzle order and not solutions?
  • edited July 2010
    It means I'm tempted to say yes but haven't come to a decision. I'd like some more input on what everyone thinks about it.
  • edited July 2010
    How would you know?
    I think whatever decision we come to should only be implemented in races after this one though. It could really screw up someone's prep.
  • edited July 2010
    So you're thinking a self-prepared guide free-for-all in this race, and we'll decide on whether or not to regulate it for the possible Second Race of 2010 in December?

I'll sleep on it (like right now, I'm exhausted), but I'd still like to hear from more people.
  • edited July 2010
    I'd rather no guides. But then how would we check?
  • edited July 2010
    I think no walkthroughs, but I think a guide you write yourself should be ok, as long as you make the guide yourself.
  • edited July 2010
    IMO a few pointers as to the order you want to do the puzzles would be okay, but no solutions.
  • edited July 2010
    yea thats what i think, just puzzle order, no soloutions. I really just thought write stuff down to help you out so you dont end up going to the same area more than you have to.
  • edited July 2010
    What's the prob with Escape? I had a problem where it went to black screen and then froze, amd I was forced to use a No-CD crack for it to work.

Part of the problem is that I can't just install it with my CD because the netbook I want to play it on doesn't have a real CD drive.
  • edited July 2010
    No Guides defintely, I mean I never used a guide and I was stuck in Curse for the first half of the game, I mean if your broadcasting it, then if your stuck people will throw out hints.
  • edited July 2010
    Jenny wrote: »
    Part of the problem is that I can't just install it with my CD because the netbook I want to play it on doesn't have a real CD drive.

Oh. Then I would suggest making 2 iso files (1 for each disc) on a separate computer that has a CD drive, and copying them onto a USB stick. I recommend Power ISO for that.
  • edited July 2010
    All right, no walkthroughs, self-made outlines are okay as long as they don't contain any solutions.
  • edited July 2010
    What's the word on text speed for classic modes? I thought you were considering not allowing max text speed...

nvm, I see it.

If you choose to play the original version of The Secret of Monkey Island, text speed must be set to default settings +1 (or two below the maximum). If you choose to play the Special Edition, you must switch over to classic and set the text speed to maximum. However, if you play Special Edition in classic mode, the same rules apply as if you were playing the original version. I'll let you guys know if these same rules apply to LeChuck's Revenge once the Special Edition is out. Until then, for the purpose of my own practice runs, I'm going to say they do.
  • edited July 2010
    question can we play tales on the wii? is the same control scheme and the Wii automatically counts how long you play.
  • edited July 2010
    I don't see why not.

Earlier someone mentioned a custom installer for Escape that installed the full contents of both CDs to your computer. Where can I get that exactly?
  • edited July 2010
    I also like the sound of running the game without a disc, but I need the game to run windowed for Procaster, so I'm using the launcher from Quick and Easy that's been modified for use with a single DVD.

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/grim-and-emi-dvd-setup-programs
  • edited July 2010
    Earlier someone mentioned a custom installer for Escape that installed the full contents of both CDs to your computer. Where can I get that exactly?

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/software#emisetup

The custom installer is there.

However, it seems that (at least for me,) if you don't want to have to insert a disc while playing, you need to get a no-cd patch from the net
    (ie. GameCopyWorld)
    . I believe I just used a "fixed exe" of monkey4.exe that I replaced the original one with (after making a backup copy of the original monkey4.exe file, of course), so it stopped bothering me about inserting a disc.

Of course, you could also use [a] disc image(s) instead. EMI can't tell the difference.

In any case, using the updated installer and/or launcher alone won't keep it from asking you to insert a disc. It's the updated CMI launcher that allows you to run the game without also needing to download a no-cd patch for the game to run without a disc/image.
  • edited July 2010
    Well this is going to be a fun race, it would be awesome if we could do this thing yearly. Guru our brain child has become popular.
  • edited July 2010
    Yep. Who knew that this whole thing would come of some stupid little joke comment I made? Maybe we'll do it again in December.
  • edited July 2010
    Awesome. Thanks, dudes. Actually, it's looking like I may not be able to enter the race due to everything that will be going on (and the fact that I've never beaten Escape before), but it's not about the race it's about re-experiencing it so keep me in. I'm also going to be checking out that Livestream/Procaster thing.

EDIT: I just thought of something. If it's possible to play without a disc (or at least with a DVD or something and without the need to switch discs during gameplay) that might make for some faster play times. Should we not count time taken while changing discs or should we ban playing without discs altogether? (that would also cut off the use of ScummVM for CMI)
  • edited July 2010
    Should we not count time taken while changing discs or should we ban playing without discs altogether? (that would also cut off the use of ScummVM for CMI)

I would say just don't count the time switching discs? Because ScummVM is the only way some of us can even play the game, since our computers can't start it otherwise.

Although I'm really just playing for fun, because my computer is kind of laggy with Escape and Tales so that'll be slow going for me.
  • edited July 2010
    If you have to change discs just roughly time how long it took to change discs and just post saying to deduct that much off your time.
  • edited July 2010
    hmm... I forsee problems with each person estimating their own times switching discs.

I would rather people were required to submit beforehand whether or not they were going to play with cd's, and there be a fixed allotment of time given to those people (which is to say 1 or 2 minutes is too long as it would cost me less than 15 seconds (and that's being liberal) to switch discs, given that I had the next one handy.

I think that if someone starts the race and gets to the section where discs needed to be switched, then realized they didn't have it handy, then that's their fault for not being prepared. I do realize that much of the rules we set are only enforceable by an "honor system" of sorts, but I still feel uncomfortable with allowing someone who takes 7 seconds to switch discs to say they took 3 minutes and blame it on the dog running around the house with it or something.
  • edited July 2010
    What if we like switching between original and se in the first 2?
  • edited July 2010
    Concerning the discs: I think the difference is negligible, and I consider ScummVM necessary for Curse. In fact, I'd think it'd take more time to switch between the forum and the game and back for making starting/finishing posts (which is one of many reasons I suggest timing yourself). If you guys really think it's necessary, then I'll allow 15 seconds for changing discs in Curse and 30 seconds for Escape.

Concerning switching editions: That's fine, but you have to be sure to adjust the text speed every time you switch.

Concerning the practice run of MI2 I just finished: I swear, this game does not want me to complete it in a speed run. I can't make the bone dance glitch happen on purpose, but it's happened both of the last two times I tried to practice, only this time I followed the new rule from the race and used Esc to continue my run.
  • edited July 2010
    I have 2 questions.
    1:I don't have Curse. Does that disqualify me from the entire race?
    2:What are the rules for console versions? IE:Sega CD version of Secret, PS2 version of Escape, and Wiiware and Psn versions of Tales

About direct control in MI2: SE, I think it should be allowed. From what I've seen, it doesn't alter Guybrush's speed, so there's no reason to not allow it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.