The First Great Monkey Island Race of 2010

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I think it's a purely psychological thing. All you have to do is press Ctrl and Alt and the verbs and inventory list pop up on screen in the exact same format as classic mode allowing you to do things just as you would in classic mode. Actually, there's a bit of an advantage because in classic mode you only get 2 rows of inventory items and in SE mode you get 3 rows so you can see more.

Although, this is not the case on the XBL version and possibly the PSN version. The inventory and verb windows pop up in the exact same position overlapping one another. I believe the verb window has priority, though.
  • edited June 2010
    Am I seriously the only person who doesn't have a problem with that puzzle in the special edition? It seems like everyone else does.

I had no problems doing it with the XBLA version, even did it twice (first time to open the cell next to Otis).
  • edited June 2010
    I wasn't saying it wasn't possible on XBL, just slightly more difficult because the verb and inventory windows don't pop-up side-by-side but rather right on top of eachother. Further psychological difficulty.
  • edited June 2010
    Oh I understood that, I was just letting Guru know he wasn't alone. I wasn't knocking your argument.

Might as well talk about what you said now so in my opinion the fact that the inventory & verb windows overlapped meant that there was less distance to move the cursor from the verb to the items. If the console versions were the same as the pc version regarding those windows, it would have made puzzles like that harder.
  • edited June 2010
    Hmmm...a very good point.
  • TeaTea
    edited June 2010
    Am I seriously the only person who doesn't have a problem with that puzzle in the special edition? It seems like everyone else does.

But yes, you're allowed to switch.

In that case; I'm in. I have a Livestream at http://livestream.com/teafailing. Currently you can see pre-recorded videos of me demonstrating awesome MIDI setups, failing at Half-Life 2 and failing at DOSBox configurations. Also I have some speedrun of SoMI that took 1hr 18min.
  • edited June 2010
    Shame it's not legit cos that would be an awesome time. Good run though :)
  • edited June 2010
    When you say "Both editions" are allowed for SMI and LCR, does that also mean I can play the EGA version if I feel like it?
  • edited June 2010
    I had no problems doing it with the XBLA version, even did it twice (first time to open the cell next to Otis).

I never knew you could open the other cell. I had to go and try it out for myself when I read your comment :p
  • edited June 2010
    Oh the randomness that appears in my head.

I read the name "Lennie Melvin" and suddenly heard a voice in my head saying "Melvin, Melvin, brother of The Joker! Melvin, Melvin, brother of The Joker!"

remembered from this.
  • edited June 2010
    TheJoe wrote: »
    In that case; I'm in. I have a Livestream at http://livestream.com/teafailing. Currently you can see pre-recorded videos of me demonstrating awesome MIDI setups, failing at Half-Life 2 and failing at DOSBox configurations. Also I have some speedrun of SoMI that took 1hr 18min.

Damn, that beats the time on record. I think we're all in trouble here. Is that without skipping dialogue and cutscenes?
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    When you say "Both editions" are allowed for SMI and LCR, does that also mean I can play the EGA version if I feel like it?

I meant original and special editions, and I only have the VGA version to make rules regarding, but I guess I don't see why you couldn't.
  • edited June 2010
    I'd say the EGA version is fine just don't bother doing the stump egg and start your game time after the copy protection screen.
  • TeaTea
    edited June 2010
    Damn, that beats the time on record. I think we're all in trouble here. Is that without skipping dialogue and cutscenes?

For this practice run I skipped cutscenes and most dialogue. It was really just a research run to find out what I don't need to do. I'll do a run of MI2 tomorrow without skipping.
  • edited June 2010
    Ah, gotcha. Yeah, it's surprising what you don't need to do. Secret can even be beaten without speaking to the Voodoo Lady once.
  • edited June 2010
    well I have a recording of me beating mi2 in 1h23m, but that's skipping dialog and stuff.

most the time at least
  • edited June 2010
    Tope! You still in for this race?
  • edited June 2010
    I have a slight change of plan in my times:
    Secret: 11 July, 23:00 GMT
    LeChuck's Revenge: 12 July, 19:00 GMT
    Curse: 13 July, 19:00 GMT
    Escape: 14 July, 19:00 GMT
    Tales: 15 July, 19:00 GMT

I moved every game except Secret a day earlier, as the 17th is my grandfather's birthday, so I dodn't want to be tired then from playing Tales until 4 in the night.
  • edited June 2010
    guru, maybe
  • edited June 2010

I just did a speedrun of SoMI on the EGA version to prepare for the upcoming race, with text speed turned up all the way, and it took me 1hr 44 minutes. I didn't skip any cutscenes or dialogue, so I bet that he did. I don't see how I could have possibly shaved over half an hour from my time. 5 or 10 minutes maybe but not half an hour.
    Ah, gotcha. Yeah, it's surprising what you don't need to do. Secret can even be beaten without speaking to the Voodoo Lady once.

don't give away too many tricks. ;)
  • edited June 2010
    Well, you just managed to beat our winner, OzzieMonkey's time from the last race, but the current record is still Icedhope's 1:23 run. Even after asking him, I can't figure out how he did it.
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2010
    Having real trouble streaming Escape from Monkey Island. Procaster doesn't hook into it with the Game option and screen banishes it to the corner which is too hard to debug.

Solutions, please.

Times!
    Secret - 12th July 19:30GMT
    Revenge - 13th July 19:30GMT
    Curse - 14th July 19:30GMT
    Escape - 15th July 18:30GMT
    Tales (Narwhal to Manatee) - 17th July 16:00GMT
    Tales (Execution to God) - 18th July 17:00GMT

The Tales times can be changed if it has to be played all in one. But breaking it up seem to make sense, if it pleases Race Overlord Guru.

If breaks are allowed between individual episodes, that would make sense, too. For the purposes of caffeine.

Also, I've created a new channel for the race instead of using my generic one, http://www.livestream.com/teamonkeyrace10
  • edited July 2010
    Breaking it up is just fine, and taking breaks between episodes is fine as well. I want separate times for each episode anyway, so just make the standard posts here at the start and finish of each chapter.

And I generally have no problem getting Procaster to work with Escape by using the custom launcher from http://quick.mixnmojo.com to run the game in windowed mode. The only thing is that this apparently causes the timing problem with the Vista Point puzzle, so you may want to make a save just after that puzzle if you choose to do that.

Or you could just skip on broadcasting Escape if you want, it's all up to you.

Also, I would highly recommend the DVD launcher mentioned in the Quick and Easy blog posts. Escape is kind of annoying about having to change discs, so it's very nice to not have to.
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I have the Quick Launcher / Installer. It plays absolutely fine, but just doesn't hook in. Maybe procaster has a resolution requirement. I'm scared of the resolution patch.
  • edited July 2010
    No, it's not that. Escape won't hook because Procaster only binds to games that use DirectX 8 or above. That's why I have to broadcast it in windowed mode using screen broadcasting the way I do the ScummVM games.

And Ozzie, I found this guide to mixing audio in Procaster. I'm having trouble following it, but hopefully you can make more sense of it.
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2010
    No, it's not that. Escape won't hook because Procaster only binds to games that use DirectX 8 or above. That's why I have to broadcast it in windowed mode using screen broadcasting the way I do the ScummVM games.

And Ozzie, I found this guide to mixing audio in Procaster. I'm having trouble following it, but hopefully you can make more sense of it.

Well I've also tried switching to OpenGL in the launcher and that didn't do it. Or does Procaster also have an OpenGL limit?

I'd use windowed mode, but the fact that a puzzle could be messed up is scary...
  • edited July 2010

Yep, that was easy. Now I can record my mic and game sound, yes?
  • edited July 2010
    TheJoe wrote: »
    Well I've also tried switching to OpenGL in the launcher and that didn't do it. Or does Procaster also have an OpenGL limit?

I'd use windowed mode, but the fact that a puzzle could be messed up is scary...

I really know nothing about OpenGL or if Procaster supports it.

As for the puzzle, it's nothing too bad. In windowed mode, the boulder puzzle doesn't time correctly, which is why I set a rule that you can use a save file to bypass it.
    Yep, that was easy. Now I can record my mic and game sound, yes?

...really? I couldn't even get past step 1. I couldn't find the "recording devices" they were talking about.
  • edited July 2010
    Hey! I was playing thru CMI and it hit me... it makes a difference in time played when you choose challenging ship combat instead of letting the crew help out.

Is it required to pick challenging ship combat mode?
  • edited July 2010
    ...really? I couldn't even get past step 1. I couldn't find the "recording devices" they were talking about.
    All you have to do is right click on the speaker icon of your toolbar, and click the "recording devices" tab.

EDIT: Well, after testing Procaster, I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to just document my progress on the forums, as somehow my stream no longer exists, and the recordings don't work properly.
  • edited July 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    Hey! I was playing thru CMI and it hit me... it makes a difference in time played when you choose challenging ship combat instead of letting the crew help out.

Is it required to pick challenging ship combat mode?

I'm going to say it's not, just because I don't like doing it and consider it filler. It's not like a puzzle being omitted or anything.
    All you have to do is right click on the speaker icon of your toolbar, and click the "recording devices" tab.

Huh, when I right click on the speaker, I get "Open Volume Control" and "Adjust Audio Properties". Maybe it's a post-XP feature.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm going to say it's not, just because I don't like doing it and consider it filler. It's not like a puzzle being omitted or anything.

Huh, when I right click on the speaker, I get "Open Volume Control" and "Adjust Audio Properties". Maybe it's a post-XP feature.

Yeah, it must be. I'm using vista, and my laptop has windows 7 and those settings come up on both.
  • edited July 2010

Hmm...

I finished CMI with ship combat on easy mode, and I didn't have to upgrade my cannons until I had to fight Rottingham. All I had to do with each ship is hit each of them them once with all 3 cannonballs and they were defeated. However in challenging mode, it's impossible (for me at least, and yes I've tried) to defeat enemies that are higher than 2 upgrades in cannon power than the Sea Cucumber is, and even if you're on par in cannon strength you still have to shoot them multiple times.

Also, in CMI, if Guybrush is talking yet I have cursor control (for example, he is looking at something, or commenting to himself after making an action) do we have to let him finish talking before we continue clicking around, or can we cut him off by clicking on the next thing we were going to do?
  • edited July 2010
    I would suggest that clicking around is fine. Because it's going to be too hard to prevent accidents or know when he's finished for sure. Banning the escape and full stop keys seems to be the best explanation of that rule. Is up to guru though.
  • edited July 2010
    Yeah, any function specifically meant to cancel dialogue is forbidden, but if you cancel it by looking at something else or going inside or something, that's totally okay.

I'm thinking maybe it should be required that that cannons be fully upgraded, even if hard ship combat isn't required, but I can't think of a good reason to make it a rule other than that I would prefer it that way.
  • edited July 2010
    I know we cant skip dialogue but what is the skip dialogue button in curse? I just tried and its not what I thought it was.
  • edited July 2010
    I...really have no idea. The instruction book doesn't list one, so if any key does it, my best guess is Esc. Also, I had no idea that pressing D would display which difficulty you were using.
  • edited July 2010
    Yea I just found out about the D key aswell, I always thought esc or delete was to skip dialogue now it seems fullstop key is to skip dialogue. I did read somewhere though that esc will only skip lengthy dialogue.
  • edited July 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    Yea I just found out about the D key aswell, I always thought esc or delete was to skip dialogue now it seems fullstop key is to skip dialogue. I did read somewhere though that esc will only skip lengthy dialogue.

Yeah, that's about right. Although I've noticed (for me, at least) that it only works when a character other than Guybrush is talking.
  • edited July 2010
    So you mean esc wont skip Guybrushs dialogue?
  • edited July 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    So you mean esc wont skip Guybrushs dialogue?

Well, I think it depends on the situation. you can still skip an entire line from him, but you have to use full stop (or the period key) instead of ESC.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.