The First Great Monkey Island Race of 2010

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Okay, I've done a bit of updating to the rules.
  • edited June 2010
    Sorry to be a bother, but I have a question about the Monkey Kombat thing. Can we use a save of a previously played game that we have already made a chart for, but is before Monkey Kombat actually happens? Cause then, we still have to fight the monkeys and everything, we would have just know all the moves and what beats what beforehand. Or does that count as 'not doing' Monkey Kombat?
  • edited June 2010
    I'm gonna say that's not allowed. Also, it seems that Monkey Kombat isn't randomly generated until you actually talk to Jojo Jr., so any save loaded for the allowed reasons before that point is perfectly okay.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm gonna say that's not allowed. Also, it seems that Monkey Kombat isn't randomly generated until you actually talk to Jojo Jr., so any save loaded for the allowed reasons before that point is perfectly okay.

Actually, I've found that all the randomly generated kombat moves stay the same when I start a new game, save it at Act 3 and then do the Monkey Kombat thing. Then if I load that save of Act 3 again, everything to do with Monkey Kombat stays the same.
  • edited June 2010
    Escape is what's gonna slow me down. I've never gotten past the first few areas.

BTW, whoever wrote "better than winslow" in the thread tags wins.
  • edited June 2010
    Ok, I need to clear some things up after reading the OP. So the race takes place between the 12th and 18th. But it's a 3-day race? What does that mean? Also, do we count pause times in between games? Or even in between breaks? Because I surely can't play all of them straight through. No way. I guess my real question is if I start a game, can't finish it, leave it for the next day, and then finish it do I count my sleeping time? And do we all play at the same time? If so, how are we supposed to watch eachother's streams?

I definitely won't do it all in 3 days, though. I've never beaten Escape so that'll take quite a bit longer.
  • edited June 2010
    Ok, I need to clear some things up after reading the OP. So the race takes place between the 12th and 18th. But it's a 3-day race? What does that mean?

I just checked the OP and couldn't find any reference to it being a 3-day race this time. It was last time, but for this one we expanded to a full week.
    Also, do we count pause times in between games? Or even in between breaks? Because I surely can't play all of them straight through. No way. I guess my real question is if I start a game, can't finish it, leave it for the next day, and then finish it do I count my sleeping time?

Of course not. If you're going to stop for a while, just post here. If it's a short break, you can just include the length of your break with your post at the end (particularly if you're also timing yourself and posting that) and it'll be figured out of your final time. If it's a long break, you can just post again when you're ready to pick it back up.
    And do we all play at the same time? If so, how are we supposed to watch eachother's streams?

No, we only did that with the first race. It was a massive failure.

Basically, you decide when you want to play each game and let me know so I can keep an eye out for your times (and if you choose to broadcast, so that people will know when to watch). You pretty much compete on your own schedule. And your posts at the start and end of each game will be used to determine a time for each game, and at the end all of those times will be added together for your final result. Breaks during games or in between games don't count towards this.
    Actually, I've found that all the randomly generated kombat moves stay the same when I start a new game, save it at Act 3 and then do the Monkey Kombat thing. Then if I load that save of Act 3 again, everything to do with Monkey Kombat stays the same.

Huh. I've been using a save to jump the vista point puzzle (since the timing doesn't work properly on my PC), and I could've sworn my Monkey Kombat chart kept changing. Maybe I was mistaken. In any event, everyone should start with a fresh Monkey Kombat chart no matter whether it changed from last time or not. That's the most fair way to handle it.
  • edited June 2010
    Ive just found my old Monkey Kombat chart, are you saying that what beats what on my current chart may be different to when I do the race?
  • edited June 2010
    Yep. It changes every game. The only way it may be the same is if you use an old save file to skip the Vista Point puzzle if it's broken for you, but even then I'm saying you have to start a new chart.
  • edited June 2010
    damn that, sucks, I thought id get an ok time for EMI since i found my old chart, but I guess not.
  • edited June 2010
    Don't worry too much, Escape is going to kill all of our times. The fastest time on record for Escape is 3:30, and the next fastest time after that is five hours. I just feel that everyone should start on fairly even ground, and some people having an old Monkey Kombat chart sort of undermines that.
  • edited June 2010
    Don't worry too much, Escape is going to kill all of our times. The fastest time on record for Escape is 3:30, and the next fastest time after that is five hours. I just feel that everyone should start on fairly even ground, and some people having an old Monkey Kombat chart sort of undermines that.

Yea, what about the vista point is it always the same order you have to throw the rocks in?
  • edited June 2010
    No, it's that some PCs that are more powerful than what was around when the game came out in 2000 will run the puzzle so that the timing doesn't work correctly. The last time I cleared the puzzle, I had to use a stopwatch and a decent set of notes, and it still took me forever.
  • edited June 2010
    I just tried the vista point puzzle in full screen and in windowed, full screen works fine but in windowed the times are messed up.
  • edited June 2010
    Hmm, maybe that's it. I'm not sure if I can get Procaster to work with it in full screen, though, plus I use Excel for my Monkey Kombat chart, though I'll have my laptop out and can do it that way. This'll be something for me to figure out in the next couple weeks.
  • edited June 2010
    How long does it usually take you to get all the Monkey Kombat codes?
  • edited June 2010
    I really have no idea. All three times I've played Escape are sort of a blur. Especially that last one, where I almost fell asleep while playing several times.
  • edited June 2010
    Well, this blows. 47 minutes into my practice run of MI2, this happens.
  • edited June 2010
    Okay, these will (probably, I may still change them) my starting times for the different games:
    Secret on 11 July, 23:00 GMT (It's already the 12th where I live by then)
    Revenge on 13 July, 19:00 GMT
    Curse on 14 July, 19:00 GMT
    Escape on 15 July, 19:00 GMT
    Tales on 16 July, 19:00 GMT

Depending on if I play Tales in one go, or decide to split it up, I may also play on the 17th and 18th July.
    BTW, whoever wrote "better than winslow" in the thread tags wins.

Thanks! :winslow:
  • edited June 2010
    Just wondering, is there a glitch on EMI about throwing the things at Herman to get his memory back?

In my save file I had already thrown the coconut and the bottle at him, then instead of throwing the accordian, I threw the abomination of nature (all the prosthetic parts combined) at him, after that I threw the accordian at him but he didnt get his memory back, so i threw the coconut and the bottle at him again and then the accordian but he still didnt get his memory back.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm not certain, but I think that just having the abomination of nature during that chapter isn't supposed to be possible. But yes, I have heard that you can mess up the game by throwing objects in the wrong order. Never experienced it personally, though, and I can't recall the details.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm not certain, but I think that just having the abomination of nature during that chapter isn't supposed to be possible. But yes, I have heard that you can mess up the game by throwing objects in the wrong order. Never experienced it personally, though, and I can't recall the details.

I once had that happen, but fixed it by just throwing the coconut over and over until he got part of his memory beck and then proceeded like normal. It should take a couple of minutes of causing brain damage to him at most.
  • edited June 2010

Really, well I dont know why I still had it.
  • edited June 2010
    Was just looking at the rules where it mentions areas that can cause problems, one area that has locked up on me a few times is when the chess players are fighting.
  • edited June 2010
    Really? I wouldn't think that area would cause that sort of problem. What happens?
  • edited June 2010
    It just locks up and I cant pick up the clock, or do anything, sometimes if I save and then reload it will fix it.
  • edited June 2010
    All right, it's been added as an exception in the rules.
  • edited June 2010
    Ok, I'm still in then, according to your answers.
  • edited June 2010
    Damn, didnt realise they had to be played in order, I was planning on getting EMI out of the way first. But it doesnt matter I guess.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah, at this point I'm keeping track of at least 117 different times for games (and that's before I have to add those up into 26 different times and again into 13 final times), so having everyone play in order helps me keep track of what I'm doing. Besides, this whole idea evolved out of just playing all of the games in order for the hell of it, so I feel that it's only right that we play in order.

Also, I'm a little concerned about allowing maximum text speed. In the special edition of Secret, the game still runs at a decent pace with maximum text speed, but in the original version of LeChuck's Revenge, maximum speed has the text flying by so fast, it might as well be skipped. I feel I should make a rule that text in the first two games has to be set to a readable speed, but then I'd have to define "readable".
  • edited June 2010
    I have to use "scummvm" for monkey islands 1&2 (dunno about 3 yet) and the text speed thing in that appears to work through scummvm rather than the game itself. You press + and get a modern looking bar with 9 levels. Are these speeds equivalent to the speeds in the original versions of the game?
    I don't think you should define it as being at a readable pace, just slow down the fastest versions until there is no advantage from playing one version over another.

Also as a side point, does anyone know how to fix the awful sound in 1 and 2. I get this horrible scratchy effect for the music. I think it might be something to do with modern sound cards and systems wanting there to be more information than there is, or something.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah, at this point I'm keeping track of at least 117 different times for games (and that's before I have to add those up into 26 different times and again into 13 final times), so having everyone play in order helps me keep track of what I'm doing. Besides, this whole idea evolved out of just playing all of the games in order for the hell of it, so I feel that it's only right that we play in order.

Also, I'm a little concerned about allowing maximum text speed. In the special edition of Secret, the game still runs at a decent pace with maximum text speed, but in the original version of LeChuck's Revenge, maximum speed has the text flying by so fast, it might as well be skipped. I feel I should make a rule that text in the first two games has to be set to a readable speed, but then I'd have to define "readable".
    What about, say, two levels below max?

Also, I posted the times I'll be playing a few posts back. Could you add them to the OP?
  • edited June 2010
    You didn't quite seem certain, so I thought I'd hold off on posting your times, but I'll go ahead and do it now.

That might be an okay level. I know that default is three below maximum, and entering the bone song with maximum speed causes the game to lock up. I think I'll play with the text speed a bit in the next few days and decide a good level. For Secret, I'll probably try playing the original version and see if I can set the text speed to match up with the special edition's maximum speed.

I know that ideally we'd all be playing the same version, but I know some people will only have the special editions and some will either only have or prefer the original, so I'm doing my best to make sure that the rules set up an even playing field for everyone.
  • edited June 2010
    Well what about having maximum text speed on somi:se, coz if you dont set the SE to max, you get the annoying pauses.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah, I intend to allow maximum text speed in the special editions. I just need to figure out what an equivalent text speed is in the original games.
  • edited June 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    Well what about having maximum text speed on somi:se, coz if you dont set the SE to max, you get the annoying pauses.

Oh good lord, that was one of the very few things that annoyed me with the first SE. From what I've seen of MI2 though, it doesn't look like that'll happen with the sequel.
  • edited June 2010
    well i guess since we dont have LR:SE yet we dont really know how the text speed effects the voices, I think i read somewhere though that they fixed the pauses in LR:SE.
  • edited June 2010
    Oh good lord, that was one of the very few things that annoyed me with the first SE. From what I've seen of MI2 though, it doesn't look like that'll happen with the sequel.

Yea i was glad when someone mentioned setting maximum text speed fixed the problem, when i watched the playthrough last year it had all the pauses and it was really annoying.
  • edited June 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    Yea i was glad when someone mentioned setting maximum text speed fixed the problem, when i watched the playthrough last year it had all the pauses and it was really annoying.

It's just really annoying that you have to switch back to classic mode, turn up the text speed, then turn to SE mode to get rid of the pauses. I wouldn't be half as bothered by this problem if I didn't have to do it every time I start a new game.
  • edited June 2010
    It's just really annoying that you have to switch back to classic mode, turn up the text speed, then turn to SE mode to get rid of the pauses. I wouldn't be half as bothered by this problem if I didn't have to do it every time I start a new game.

Yea it is a bit annoying that you need to change it every time, but it only takes like a second so I guess its not that bad.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.