The First Great Monkey Island Race of 2010

Comments

• edited June 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    Yea it is a bit annoying that you need to change it every time, but it only takes like a second so I guess its not that bad.

Yeah, its not drastic, its just a little gripe I had. Didn't detract from the overall experience though, and it did its job in that respect. In fact, it really made me like the first game more, which is one of the reasons I'm even more excited about the second SE.
  • edited June 2010
    I cant wait for LR:SE, mainly coz it'll be the first time ill play LR, I got the original LR a couple of months before LR:SE was announced, but put off playing in hopes a SE would come out, then it got announced so I havnt played it yet.
  • edited June 2010
    I just learned that you can recover the game after the bone song glitch. I wish I'd known about it before, then I could've salvaged that practice run. Anyway, I added a rule concerning it.
  • edited June 2010
    There's only one fault with that rule. Skipping the bone song skips the bit with Lechuck.
  • edited June 2010
    Nope, it doesn't. I still have my autosave from getting stuck in the bone song. If you hit Esc while the skeletons are stuck in the dancing loop, it jumps to LeChuck.
  • edited June 2010
    hey GuruGuru214 on that youtube vid of the glitch you said in a comment that after a practice run of the Secret special edition, you think you see an advantage to going with the originals. What happened in SOMI:SE to make you think the original would be an advantage, was it the grog puzzle, access to verbs or just that you like the look of the original better.
  • edited June 2010
    It was the text speed, which is why I'm now working to negate that advantage by finding the right level to cap the text speed at.

Well, not right now. Right now I'm going to bed. It's already 6 am here and I'm exhausted.
  • edited June 2010
    It was the text speed, which is why I'm now working to negate that advantage by finding the right level to cap the text speed at.

Well, not right now. Right now I'm going to bed. It's already 6 am here and I'm exhausted.

only 10pm here
  • edited June 2010
    just checked the rules, Rise of the Pirate God is left off the list of games you need to play.
  • edited June 2010
    Sorry, I had copied that rule from the first race, which happened before Pirate God was out. I'll add it in and then I'm really going to bed.
  • edited June 2010
    Well, it seems windows 7 is now happy with SOMI, and EMI is now happy with livestream, so my "possibly entering" is now a "probably entering"
    I'll be running on livestream.com/doodmonkey

Dunno what times until nearer but GMT MI1 - monday evening MI2 - tuesday evening MI3 - wednesday evening MI4tales1 - Saturday afternoon tales2345 - Sunday afternoon
    sounds likely.

Also, something I just realised. The great monkey race for everyone will end with an advert for Sam and Max ;)
  • edited June 2010
    Ugh, that reminds me, I need to get the thread going for the First Great Sam & Max Race of 2010...
  • edited June 2010
    Ugh, that reminds me, I need to get the thread going for the First Great Sam & Max Race of 2010...

Shouldn't you be in bed?
  • edited June 2010
    It's 4:30 pm here now. I already went to bed and woke up.
  • edited June 2010
    Just wondering, the original somi has much shorter credits than the SE, so if we play SE can we count the game as finished when the original mode finishes its credits?
  • edited June 2010

Just don't make it happen at the same time. I'd like to participate it that one as well. Maybe after episode 5 comes out?
  • edited June 2010
    Just wondering, the original somi has much shorter credits than the SE, so if we play SE can we count the game as finished when the original mode finishes its credits?

Didn't I specifically say that in the rules?

Oh, wait, it's not there. Jeez, I really pruned a lot out of the rules between the first and second races. It's supposed to be in there, so I'll add it back in now.
    Just don't make it happen at the same time. I'd like to participate it that one as well. Maybe after episode 5 comes out?

Yeah, that's the plan. I don't want to race Hit the Road, so I'm going to be running the race on behalf of Icedhope but not participating. I'll be the one running the thread and tracking times, but he'll have final say on rules and everything.
  • edited June 2010
    It's just really annoying that you have to switch back to classic mode, turn up the text speed, then turn to SE mode to get rid of the pauses. I wouldn't be half as bothered by this problem if I didn't have to do it every time I start a new game.

The only thing is in the XBox version (and possibly the PS3 version) you can't change text speed because you don't have a keyboard. It might work on the PS3 since some PS3 games can use a keyboard as an input device. Not so with the XBox.
  • edited June 2010
    Not meaning to pile too much on yer plate but could you put something about the following two things in the rules about EMI:

1)If you turn off voices and turn on text it goes faster. if you turn on voices and text it goes slower. Can it be voices only as the standard?

2)The end doesn't auto-quit for me, like you say is the end of the race. I have to hit escape else it just sits there with Escape from Monkey Island on the screen and robomonkey-rampaging noises in the background. Can we say this is the end instead?

Cheers.
  • edited June 2010

Do this after the Devils Playhouse has been finished so we can have a complete run
  • edited June 2010
    I'm starting the thread soon, but yes, the race will be at some point following The City That Dares Not Sleep. As for a complete run, though, Icedhope is on the fence about whether or not he wants to make Hit the Road part of the race. But that's something to discuss in that thread (once I start it).
  • edited June 2010
    Come on. I understand SMI and MI2 have special editions now, but CMI still isn't readily available (Escape even less so) and that's included in the MI race. Hit the Road should be mandatory as well.
  • edited June 2010
    CMI still isn't readily available (Escape even less so)
    Actually, from what I've seen on eBay, it's easier to find Escape than Curse. Probably because more people want to get rid of their copy of Escape :p
  • edited June 2010
    I mean through official channels. Anything's on eBay. Including Sam & Max Hit the Road. So that argument doesn't count. I'm talking about either in retail or digital distribution.
  • edited June 2010
    Oh, I misunderstood then.
    You can still get Curse through official channels?
  • edited June 2010
    No.....that's my point.
  • edited June 2010
    No.....that's my point.

This is my point.
    Sword.jpg
  • edited June 2010
    So Curse is impossible to get, and Escape even harder? That doesn't make sense :p
  • edited June 2010
    So...how about that Monkey Island race?
  • edited June 2010
    What I meant was that Curse is just as hard to come by as Hit The Road is. And Escape even more so. So excluding Hit The Road out of the Sam & Max race would make about as much sense as excluding Curse and Escape from the Monkey Island race. I don't know how much simpler I can put it.
  • edited June 2010
    So...how about that Monkey Island race?

Hehe. Any final word on the EMI stuff? My version definitely doesn't auto-quit.
  • edited June 2010
    Hehe. Any final word on the EMI stuff? My version definitely doesn't auto-quit.

I just played my practise-run, and mine doesn't either. Can we just quit after Guybrush says "JarJar? Help!"?
  • edited June 2010
    I already fixed the Escape thing in the rules.
  • TeaTea
    edited June 2010
    I really want to be a part of this, but I'd also prefer to use the SE of MI2. Unfortunately, I will not have the funds necessary to purchase it in time.

As such, I'm out. But just to let you know that I would own you all with my 13 years of Monkeyology training.
  • edited June 2010
    I saw both "hit the road' and "Curse of Monkey Island" yesterday in a game shop.
  • TeaTea
    edited June 2010
    Ok - forget me buying the SE. I am in this race. Gonna test out some streaming solutions with ScummVM and see how things are with ToMI.

In the SEs are we allowed to switch editions? Breaking out Otis in the modern interface in the first SE is too difficult.
  • edited June 2010
    I saw both "hit the road' and "Curse of Monkey Island" yesterday in a game shop.

Are you in Europe? I'd be shocked if I saw a copy of either of those in a game store here in North America. As I understand it, though, Europe had special modern retail releases with newer Windows Scumm engines.
  • edited June 2010
    Are you in Europe? I'd be shocked if I saw a copy of either of those in a game store here in North America. As I understand it, though, Europe had special modern retail releases with newer Windows Scumm engines.

Im in Australia
  • edited June 2010
    Sorry for the double post but just wondering, I know it doesnt really matter coz there is no mouse clicking in EMI, but I just noticed when in EMI if I right click or double left click it exits the game. Does this happen to anyone else?
  • edited June 2010
    TheJoe wrote: »
    In the SEs are we allowed to switch editions? Breaking out Otis in the modern interface in the first SE is too difficult.

Am I seriously the only person who doesn't have a problem with that puzzle in the special edition? It seems like everyone else does.

But yes, you're allowed to switch.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.