Things to Do At, Beyond and Below the Straight & Narrow: Penal Zone Did You Try List

edited December 2011 in Sam & Max
Well, this was done for every chapter of ToMI, so why not Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse. I'm sure most of you have completed The Penal Zone, but there is probably much more in the game that you missed - more jokes, more lines of dialogue, more character actions and reactions that you failed to uncover throughout your first playthrough. However, we all have different minds and play the games differently to each other, so there's bound to be people out there who tried random combinations and wacky experiments and managed to find the things that you missed. Here are mine:

-Shoot at Skun-ka’pe while he’s standing, watching out of the front window of the ship
-Shoot at Skun-ka’pe when he’s getting sucked into the Penal Zone
-Read Sam’s thoughts twice
-Read Skun-ka’pe’s thoughts when he’s getting sucked into the Penal Zone
-Read the alien brain’s mind
-Use future vision on all possible options
-Look at textbooks twice
-Attempt to shoot Stinky
-Attempt to give the demon broth to Skun-ka’pe
-Use jumper cables with gaping hole
-Contemplate Puddin’head Lincoln twice
-Look at moleman construction worker twice
-Giving Momma Bosco back her power core
-Talk to Max while inside the moleman processing chamber
-Use your gun with the gorilla research assistant guarding the entrance to Bosco-Tech
-Use engagement ring with gorilla research assistant guarding the entrance to -Bosco-Tech
-Look at used pizza boxes twice
-Use cell phone with pigeon sitting on trash cans
-Use your gun with the research assistant gorilla guarding the pawshop
-Use the banana peel directly with the research assistant gorilla guarding the pawshop
-Use the banana peel with Max
-Use the banana peel with the manhole (not the manhole cover)
-Use the banana peel with the pizza boxes
-Try to enter the pawnshop a second time
-Talk to Sam while in the Penal Zone
-Attempt to use the Desoto after you escape the Penal Zone
-Use rift generator with Momma Bosco’s power supply
-Attempt to turn on rift generator before putting the homing device on Skun-ka’pe
-Shoot at Skun-ka’pe while he’s standing, watching out of the front window of the ship... again
-Shoot at Skun-ka’pe while he’s getting sucked into the Penal Zone... again
-Speak to Skun-ka’pe twice during the final scene
-Show Skun-ka’pe the paddle toy twice before turning up the heat on the boiler

There are probably much better ones out there than these, so if you found anything interesting, any bonuses throughout the episode, post them here so that we can all try them out on our next playthrough!

Comments

• edited April 2010
    I was wondering if one of these would pop up. I only have one to add:

-Attempt to enter the moleman processing chamber before picking up the teleportation artifact
  • edited April 2010
    Teleporting to Stinky's Cell phone when Max is being strangled at Momma Bosco's while Sam is just stood outside is vaguely funny.

I guess the other teleport locations in this situation might also prove interesting.
  • edited April 2010
    Wasn't I supposed to get an extra psychic power?
  • edited April 2010
    -Shoot at Skun-ka’pe when he’s getting sucked into the Penal Zone

This. Do this. I haven't finished the game so I was only looking for this one. Do. This. One. I laughed tears.
  • edited April 2010
    I thought the remark at the baby-buggy in the subway was cool too :)
  • edited April 2010
    I don't know how exactly to trigger it, but apparently using the teleportation power excessively (I think I found it teleporting from where Stinky dropped her cell phone to Sybil's boxes on Straight St) results in a really trippy cutscene.
  • edited April 2010
    I got one

-use the engagement ring with the monkey guarding moma bosco's.
  • edited April 2010
    I got one

-use the engagement ring with the monkey guarding moma bosco's.
    -Use engagement ring with gorilla research assistant guarding the entrance to Bosco-Tech

Already said, my friend.
  • edited April 2010
    I noticed nobody said - use engagement ring with Max; I laughed tears when I did that, it's absolutely hilarious! Only seems to work in the street outside Momma Bosco's lab though.

Also, by using the jukebox in Stinky's diner you can hear the FRIENDLY DEMON SONG again (as well as all the other musical numbers from earlier episodes).
  • edited April 2010
    caeska wrote: »
    I noticed nobody said - use engagement ring with Max; I laughed tears when I did that, it's absolutely hilarious!
    I kept meaning to do that, and I kept forgetting. I'll see if I have a save where I still have the engagement ring.

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • edited April 2010
    -Read Sam’s thoughts twice
    Where?
    If you mean the street... do it thrice!
    (EDIT: Wait... nevermind... I meant use future vision thrice on Sam and the street!)
    -Shoot at Skun-ka’pe while he’s standing, watching out of the front window of the ship... again
    Pretty sure that's a bug (I reported it as bug at least).
    I guess the other teleport locations in this situation might also prove interesting.
    Sadly enough, all of them end the same way, I tried :(.

And yes, Max+engagement ring is the best... some more:
    * Knock Max in the air while in the Penal Zone?
    * Look around everywhere in Max vision to notice all the strange things going on, like the chicken in the Desote, or the flashing "Obey! Obey! Obey!"
    * Use the iThing G4 several times, and looking at the item description?
    * Use future vision on Sam in the spaceship after enabling the brain's power?
    * Use future vision on the train-arrival-sign in the sewers?
    * Call Stinky's mobile after attaining it?
    * Try to leave the ship instead of teleporting out after attaining the Teleportation power?
  • edited April 2010
    This thread really ought to be stickied.
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah, using the ring with Max needs a special mention. I done it at 3 in the morning and was shaking away in my chair trying to keep my laughing quiet in case I woke everyone up
  • edited April 2010
    - Teleport to the desoto twice, while Max is being strangled
  • edited April 2010
    Edindro wrote: »
    Wasn't I supposed to get an extra psychic power?

The
    NutriSpecs
    power is in the
    dumpster in the Mysterious Alley as found using the Map after starting a second playthrough.

Edit: User was maimed for this post.
    I noticed nobody said - use engagement ring with Max; I laughed tears when I did that, it's absolutely hilarious! Only seems to work in the street outside Momma Bosco's lab though.

I love you for mentioning that, thank you so freaking much.
  • edited April 2010
    Avel wrote: »
    The
    NutriSpecs
    power is in the
    dumpster in the Mysterious Alley as found using the Map after starting a second playthrough.
    How do you get to the Mysterious Alley? I've started up a new playthrough and don't see it on my map.
  • edited April 2010
    * Try to leave the ship instead of teleporting out after attaining the Teleportation power?

You got the same thing when you try to enter into the Moleman prosessing room before get the teleportation.

I tried to teleport with Grampa Stinky to different places, but proves to be boring _ _!

I'm not good at this things...
  • edited April 2010
    * Look around everywhere in Max vision to notice all the strange things going on, like the chicken in the Desote, or the flashing "Obey! Obey! Obey!"

I wonder if this was a They Live reference.
  • edited April 2010
    Here's one:

-Wait to pick up the ring until Max is with you
  • edited April 2010
    i noticed nobody said - use engagement ring with max; i laughed tears when i did that, it's absolutely hilarious! Only seems to work in the street outside momma bosco's lab though.

this.this. A million time this.
  • edited April 2010
    ATMachine wrote: »
    I don't know how exactly to trigger it, but apparently using the teleportation power excessively (I think I found it teleporting from where Stinky dropped her cell phone to Sybil's boxes on Straight St) results in a really trippy cutscene.

That only happened to me the first time I teleported.
  • edited April 2010
    wait, what is the NutriSpecs?
  • edited April 2010
    I think on both of my runs, I got the trippy cutscene by teleporting to Boscotech for the first time.
  • edited April 2010
    I teleported from Skunkape's ship to...somewhere. I thought it happened after a certain number of puzzles have been completed.
  • edited April 2010
    I believe that both times, I was teleporting from where you find Stinky's phone to Boscotech, but I could be mistaken.

Anyone else think that it's likely some major foreshadowing and not just a trippy cutscene?
  • edited April 2010
    I believe that both times, I was teleporting from where you find Stinky's phone to Boscotech, but I could be mistaken.

Anyone else think that it's likely some major foreshadowing and not just a trippy cutscene?

Judging by the ending, yes.
  • edited April 2010

Me. The intro's the same way.
  • MRNMRN
    edited April 2010
    wait, what is the NutriSpecs?

Its a new toy you get at the end of the episode. When you finished the episode you get a notice that says you've unlocked a new location, start a new game and go to there, using the map in the DeSoto ;)
  • edited April 2010
    Only on PS3. Speaking of which, could somebody please explain what they do?
  • MRNMRN
    edited April 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »

They show the ingredients of people and carefully selected objects ;)

Turns out Sybil's made from all things Grandpa Stinky said plus......
    LOVE!

There's also a trophy in wich you have to find a secret object with the NutriSpecs.

It's on
    Lincoln's pudding head.
  • edited April 2010
    I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but did you....

...find
    Murray (and Santino's body) while using Max-mode in the Boscotech Labs?

Or did you find
    a familiar boat transporting a familiar cow while using Max-mode in the sewers?
  • edited April 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »

So PC users don't get the nutrispecs OR the new location? what a gyp!
  • edited April 2010
    Hopefully it'll be available on the eventual DVD version.
  • edited April 2010
    it better well be or im going to complain. either on the dvd or included in future episodes. wait, does it count as one of the toys of power?
  • edited April 2010
    I think somebody from Telltale (Jake maybe?) said that the PS3's NG+ is unlocked by doing something 'weirder' on the PC version.
  • edited April 2010
    NG+ what?

And the only TTG post on the subject said:
    "It's PS3 exclusive for the moment"

EDIT: Might as well quote the full post;
    Jake wrote: »
    I believe this is PS3 specific at the moment.
  • edited April 2010
    NG+ what?

And the only TTG post on the subject said:
    "It's PS3 exclusive for the moment"

NG+=New Game +

And I was actually thinking of something Jake posted on the Something Awful thread: "On PC/Mac the extra stuff it will be unlocked via weirder things, I think."
  • edited April 2010
    Did you try deactivating rhinoplasty after turning Max into a bazooka?

Also, teleporting the gorilla in BoscoTech into the mole processing room?
  • edited April 2010
    Was it just me or did one of the songs coming from grampa stinky's radio sound very similar to music I heard on a certain simian atoll?
  • edited April 2010
    Ok, I'll write this one: When you plug the Riff Generator in Sam and Max's Building Basement, you Teleport to Bosco Tech Labs and then teleport back to the Sewers. Then tell me what happened. Really, it's plain weird. And I think is a bug, but a cool one notheless.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.