Poker Night at the Inventory (some sort of crossover game?..)

1151617181921»

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Interview with Dan Connors at Wired: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/09/poker-night-at-the-inventory/#more-28268

Not a lot of news, but one interesting quote:
    The $5 game comes to Steam this fall for the PC and Mac and is being released as part of Telltale Games’ Pilot Program — an effort to give new, risky game concepts a chance to shine. According to Connors, the game will have to sell between 100,000 to 200,000 units to be worth reviving as a franchise. “If this version with these game characters work, we will likely follow it up with new game characters or maybe other celebrities, rock stars and the like.”

Rock stars? Hm.....
  • edited September 2010
    Tjibbbe wrote: »
    Interview with Dan Connors at Wired: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/09/poker-night-at-the-inventory/#more-28268

Not a lot of news, but one interesting quote:

Rock stars? Hm.....

I dunno, 100,000 seems a little ballsy.

If it were something like 25,000 or 50,000 I'd understand, but 100,000?

But I like the whole "new thing everytime" Telltale's picking up from Valve.

Well, best of luck for Telltale.
  • edited September 2010
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    Very much looking forward to this.

Does anyone know if this is another pilot game like Puzzle Agent or just a definite stand alone?

If you think about it, Telltale Texas Holdem' was the pilot title to this.
  • edited September 2010
    Earlier, I said Penny Arcade didn't appeal to me. I've changed my mind. I do enjoy it, so looking forward to this game. Slightly more. Should be fun to play, plus, more Max!
  • edited September 2010
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    OMG the quote on that poster is epic. I'm really looking forward to this game now. And yeah Tycho will be 3D... just, you know, shaded to look like a cartoon or something like that.

My first reaction was that it was a really impressive cell-shaded model.

After looking at it for a while, I could tell it's not real in-engine cell shading, so I thought it was maybe a 3D model that one of their artists "traced" the outline by hand to give it that cartoon outline.

The more I look at it, though, while it might be a 3D model as the base, it definitely looks like it was colored, shaded, and outlined by hand in photoshop. There are a few sharp lines that might suggest 3D, but they seem more to me like photoshop polygon lasso lines, rather than 3D polygon lines.
  • edited September 2010
    it looks to cussy although i want to play
  • edited September 2010
    seibert999 wrote: »
    it looks to cussy although i want to play

You can censor the swears.
  • edited September 2010
    i don't have a censor
  • edited September 2010
    i don't have a censor

the game has one
  • edited September 2010
    perfect
  • edited September 2010
    Tjibbbe wrote: »

Rock stars? Hm.....
    I personally would prefer other game characters to real-life stars.
  • edited September 2010
    i don't have a censor

Wait, did you think you were going to have to sit there with a button to press to bleep out words? : P
  • edited September 2010
    no way
  • edited September 2010
    Wait, did you think you were going to have to sit there with a button to press to bleep out words? : P
    That would be a great new game or minigame.

Press the button combo fast enough, or suffer a curse-bomb :D.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2010
    The Tycho art in the marketing materials is a 3D model that one of our artists drew over for the show. He'll be 3D in the game but we're still working on his look which is why he's not really in any screenshots yet.
  • edited September 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    The Tycho art in the marketing materials is a 3D model that one of our artists drew over for the show. He'll be 3D in the game but we're still working on his look which is why he's not really in any screenshots yet.

will tycho drop all those cusses or is it bleeped
  • edited September 2010
    hey

what is this game going to be about anyways

This game will be about playing Poker with Tycho, The Heavy, Strong Bad and Max.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2010

If you don't want to hear the cusses you won't have to.

If you DO want to hear them, I make no guarantees right now.
  • edited September 2010

From what I'm hearing, there's an option to censor the swears, but I'm pretty sure he'll curse.

He says
    shit
    in this poster here:

http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/pokernight/screens090210/Poker%20Poster%20Tycho%203x6.jpg
  • edited September 2010
    I've been reading through the Penny Arcade comic and am slowly realizing that I need to get this game.
  • edited September 2010
    I've been reading through the Penny Arcade comic and am slowly realizing that I need to get this game.
    Me too, I laughed so hard after I readed some comics!
  • edited September 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    The Tycho art in the marketing materials is a 3D model that one of our artists drew over for the show.

Ahhhhh I totally called it
  • edited September 2010
    I'm trying to catch up on Penny Arcade. I'm up to 2005. God Damn, I have no life.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm trying to catch up on Penny Arcade. I'm up to 2005. God Damn, I have no life.

Further than me, I'm only up to 2003. Of course, I did take a break to watch the games on youtube....yeah...I have no life either...
  • edited September 2010
    I'm reading various Penny Arcade strips out of boredom. It's alright. Now I just have to get The Orange Box somehow...
  • edited September 2010
    Further than me, I'm only up to 2003. Of course, I did take a break to watch the games on youtube....yeah...I have no life either...

I'm only up to 2001.
  • edited September 2010
    Penny Arcade can be very topical. If you don't get what's going on, often going to the linked news post will tell you what was going on in videogame news that day and make things make a lot more sense.

Also I'd suggest against going all the way back to the start. They've been going for a long time and have improved vastly as they have gone on.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2010
    For those of you reading back through the comics, I *HIGHLY* suggest you read the news post associated with each comic. As much of the humor and personality is in the post as it is in the comic. Admittedly, this might increase the time it takes to read through the backlog by an order of magnitude.
  • edited September 2010
    I finished the Archive. Pretty Funny.
  • edited September 2010
    man i'm barely past 2000.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm only at 2003. Its growing on me though. :D
  • edited September 2010
    i have a sad pathetic life, im up to 2007.
  • edited September 2010
    Will wrote: »
    For those of you reading back through the comics, I *HIGHLY* suggest you read the news post associated with each comic. As much of the humor and personality is in the post as it is in the comic. Admittedly, this might increase the time it takes to read through the backlog by an order of magnitude.

That was really good advice, thanks for that. I have been doing that and it does help to know some of the back story regarding the strips especially the older ones when I don't really remember what they're talking about.
  • edited September 2010
    Will wrote: »

Thanks for the suggestion. I just finished reading the comics and news reports concurrently and the hilarity of the strips increased exponentially, especially when concerning gaming topics I'm less familiar with (like MMORPGs).
  • edited September 2010
    I've always thought of Penny Arcade as hilarious news posts that happen to have an occasionally funny comics attached to them.
  • edited September 2010
    I have to read the archives too, I am in 2005
  • edited September 2010
    im up to present day.
  • edited September 2010
    2003, right now
Sign in to comment in this discussion.