Back to the Future Platform Discussion

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Zepton wrote: »
    Arguement's heating up.

Hmm... stores do seem to carry more console games than PC games. It is all about the money. Piracy does happen. You should probably get some articles like he has, though, or he'll tear through your arguement.

Computers do have us console gamers beat in RTS and Sim games. If I was gonna get back into RTS games, I'd probably go back to PC. If only they'd make a console version of the mouse... then we could be unstoppable! :D

Console or computer, gaming is fun. I wish many long years of gaming for all. :)

I mean if I had more time I would grab some articles, however doing christmas stuff takes priority. I mean, i'm not too frustrated. I'm just giving him common knowledge facts.

Yes the PS3 outsells in a lot of other places, but xbox still has sold more total units and still has a much more dedicated service.
  • edited December 2010
    Yes the PS3 outsells in a lot of other places, but xbox still has sold more total units and still has a much more dedicated service.

Actually, it has only 4 millions over the ps3.

Which is not much since it got out one year before with absolutely nothing else. (And remember all the first models of 360 were cheaply produced and the vast majority got a ROD)

This year, the Ps3 sold more, worldwide.

But it's true that the America is clearly in favor of the 360. Kinect (while being completely pointless, and lying through its marketing that sells it as a revolution in the way of playing...) will also probably help Microsoft keep the upper hand in America.

Though it doesn't have that much dedicated service. The PSN improved a lot. (and since you can buy with real money, it's usually cheaper...)

Both systems are great and have their pros and cons. I'm glad I have both of them.

Though the XBLA doesn't allow Telltale to release an episodic game the way they would want to.

So please, no console wars since it's not their choice !
  • edited December 2010
    Strayth wrote: »
    Actually, it has only 4 millions over the ps3.

Which is not much since it got out one year before with absolutely nothing else. (And remember all the first models of 360 were cheaply produced and the vast majority got a ROD)

This year, the Ps3 sold more, worldwide.

But it's true that the America is clearly in favor of the 360. Kinect (while being completely pointless, and lying through its marketing that sells it as a revolution in the way of playing...) will also probably help Microsoft keep the upper hand in America.

Though it doesn't have that much dedicated service. The PSN improved a lot. (and since you can buy with real money, it's usually cheaper...)

Both systems are great and have their pros and cons. I'm glad I have both of them.

Though the XBLA doesn't allow Telltale to release an episodic game the way they would want to.

So please, no console wars since it's not their choice !

I know over the last 6 months Xbox has sold the most hardware and they will continue to do so thanks to Kinect. Plus Kinect is actually pretty cool. It doesn't revolutionize anything, but it allows more people to experience games. (It's much better than the move). I don't care if it's not episodic, I will wait for a complete package (which is what I would rather do.) Plus Telltale put out ToMI in bundle form on PSN for 20 bucks, that can be done on Live too.
  • edited December 2010
    Hangman522 wrote: »
    Plus Telltale put out ToMI in bundle form on PSN for 20 bucks, that can be done on Live too.

See, I assume you don't own a PS3. Tales of Monkey Island was still a subscription, the way it was offered on the PSN is that you bought the whole Season Pass (Similar to pre-Ordering), and then you got five separate downloads, one for each episode, all at once instead of waiting a month between them.

The same has been done for Strong Bad, all the episodes are separate downloads but are purchased under one Subscription Licence.
  • edited December 2010
    I don't care one whit about console warfare. I just want the blasted game to be released. :o
  • edited December 2010
    Ash735 wrote: »
    See, I assume you don't own a PS3. Tales of Monkey Island was still a subscription, the way it was offered on the PSN is that you bought the whole Season Pass (Similar to pre-Ordering), and then you got five separate downloads, one for each episode, all at once instead of waiting a month between them.

The same has been done for Strong Bad, all the episodes are separate downloads but are purchased under one Subscription Licence.

I do own a PS3, as I've said in previous posts. And while I like it, I prefer the Xbox. I also got ToMI on PS3 and if you can buy something in full on the PSN like that, you should be able to on 360 too.
  • edited December 2010
    I do own a PS3, as I've said in previous posts. And while I like it, I prefer the Xbox. I also got ToMI on PS3 and if you can buy something in full on the PSN like that, you should be able to on 360 too.

But it's the Xbox that doesn't allow that, See, from Telltale's view, on the PS3, all they have to do is port the episodes as they are into the PS3's format and link them all to one Licence.

On the Xbox, they had to combine all the episodes into one Launcher, keep it under 2GB and then are limited to 12 Achievements.

Tales of Monkey Island was only around 200MB-250MB an episode on the PS3, so essentially it could fit on the Xbox, they'd have to cut out all the Achievements from the PS3 and only choose 12 of them for the entire Season, but Monkey Island could be done if they do it the same way as Sam & Max Season 1 and 2.

Sam & Max Season 3 gets a bit more complicated, when all the episodes are combined, it goes over the 2GB limit, so that would mean compressing the game even more to fit in the limits, and again of course do the same they done for S1 and 2 by re-coding a completely new launcher to take care of all the episodes, and then do what would have to be done with Monkey Island which is get rid of all the PS3 achievements and then choose 12 of them.

So, yeah, when put like that you can see why even BEFORE getting Microsoft involved it's already more work for Telltale to port it on Xbox, when that's done, THEN they have to jump through Microsofts hoops to get it accepted and put on the Arcade.

Where as on the PS3, as they do the PC/MAC Episodes, all they have to do is take the PS3 template of the controls, and then just quickly compile the episode as a PS3 Program and then tag it for the Subscription Licence.
  • edited December 2010
    Please tell me why console games still outsell PC games and why over 75 percent of PC games don't sell. Tell me why most Gamestops have walls dedicated to console games but a small kiosk for PC games? Developers aren't happy with PC gaming due to piracy, a major problem on their platform. Thanks to that less and less people are going to develop for the PC as console gaming continues to dominate the market. It's all about money.

Please tell me why you can't back up your "argument" with anything other than pie-in-the-sky figures you've pulled out of your behind?

media?id=3868411&type=lg

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/32120/Report_Total_US_Game_Spend_To_Hit_247B_In_2010.php

I'm going to assume that you're able to read a pie chart, I hope that's not asking too much. As you can see, PC gaming equates to 51% of gaming revenue in the US alone, and that's the weakest PC market. In Germany, for example, PC gaming accounts for more than 70% of gaming revenue.

The reason why you don't see many PC games in your local gamestop is for a couple of reasons. PC retail has taken a big hit over the past few years, whilst digital distribution has risen substantially, to the point where more money is made from DD sales on PC than retail. Another reason gamestop don't like to give much shelf space to PC games is that they can't re-sell PC games, and gamestop make a huge chunk of their profits from second hand games.

It you look at that chart, you will see that PC games (retail+DD) MINUS mmo's, casual games and social network games (ala facebook games like farmville) equate to $4.6 billion in revenue, whilst all 5 consoles together (the figure includes DS and PSP) add up to $10.6 billion. That's a huge figure, it's simply undeniable.

Even after all this, however, I could have just asked you why developers still make PC games? Why would they engage in something that isn't financially viable? Why have more games been released this year on PC than any console, and why have we seen an increase of formally console only titles on PC?

If you want to continue this debate, then come back with some solid information, otherwise I think it's time to concede. You've offered nothing towards your argument so far, and I'm not one to keep banging my head against a brick wall because someone is unable to accept the fact's, even when they have been shoved in their face.
  • edited December 2010
    Hi am I right im thinking that the BTTF games will be realised on iphone/ipad?

Thanks
  • edited December 2010
    There will be an iPad version, though not an iPhone version. And it is currently unknown when that version will be released.
  • edited December 2010
    Please tell me why you can't back up your "argument" with anything other than pie-in-the-sky figures you've pulled out of your behind?

media?id=3868411&type=lg

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/32120/Report_Total_US_Game_Spend_To_Hit_247B_In_2010.php

I'm going to assume that you're able to read a pie chart, I hope that's not asking too much. As you can see, PC gaming equates to 51% of gaming revenue in the US alone, and that's the weakest PC market. In Germany, for example, PC gaming accounts for more than 70% of gaming revenue.

Ok, so its safe to assume that I cannot read a pie chart from what you said. But I liked your points none the less. I am one of the ones that is disapointed that bttf is not coming out for the 360 just for the simple fact that my pc sucks and I am not looking to upgrade it. SOOO please come out with it on 360 :(

Back to the pie chart.... you say pc gaming = 51% of the gaming market?
    You can toss out mobile devices, thats not pc. Also you can throw out social networks, its on the pc but comon, thats really not the point we are making with pc vs consoles its really Facebook games. I could be mistaken but isnt casual game portals just games that are being ported to all systems? (ie. pc,mac,xbox,psn?)

So it would be consoles 43% and actually pc/mac media of 30%. So wouldnt that mean console games are selling better?

I could be wrong so if you would care to explain, I would listen.
  • edited December 2010
    Probably doesn't mean anything (I hope) but when I went back to the game's official site, I noticed that down at the bottom, it says Ipad, PC and a picture of the mac apple. But there isn't a picture of the psn logo.
  • edited December 2010
    It's coming. However, the PS3 version hasn't been rated by the ESRB yet, and they aren't allowed to include the logo until they do.
  • edited December 2010
    It won't be coming out until the series is complete, at which point it'll all come out as one "package".
  • edited December 2010
    It won't be coming out until the series is complete, at which point it'll all come out as one "package".

That's not true... at all. The first episode will be released early January on the PS3.
  • edited December 2010
    Benito wrote: »
    That's not true... at all. The first episode will be released early January on the PS3.

Now, that really scared me,lol! Okay, I wonder what the ESRB will rate it then.
  • edited December 2010
    Count me in the disappointed group that is upset about the 360 getting the shaft. You know what also count me in the incredulous / dumbfounded group while you're at it. I was expecting this game to get released on the 360 and now I can't even find the words to express my anger, shock and disbelief.

All of the people defending the pc, see if you can find a chart or graph that will show how much money Telltale is gonna lose from pirates!
  • edited December 2010
    What's that got to with the unavailablity at this stage of an Xbox version?
  • edited December 2010
    Shax wrote: »
    Count me in the disappointed group that is upset about the 360 getting the shaft. You know what also count me in the incredulous / dumbfounded group while you're at it. I was expecting this game to get released on the 360 and now I can't even find the words to express my anger, shock and disbelief.

All of the people defending the pc, see if you can find a chart or graph that will show how much money Telltale is gonna lose from pirates!

It is also pretty easy to pirate X box games. As long as there is the possibility some idiots will pirate everything they can their hands on. It is sad but it happens on all platforms.
    I play on all 3 major consoles and the PC. Every Platform has it's pros and cons all have their own right to be there.
    For telltale games I prefer the PC, I played Sam and Max Season 1 + 2 on X box, it was great but I prefer using the mouse.
  • edited December 2010
    Hmm, this sorta went off topic didn't it!

I'm only watching this thread so I can keep tabs on when the game may or may not be released on the Wii.
  • edited December 2010
    OK why is it not releasing on Xbox 360?!?!?! I mean its on PC so why not XBOX??? makes no sense to me...
  • edited December 2010
    WHY DONT YOU READ THE OTHER THREADS
    I mean this has been answered before already why dont you read them? Makes no sense to me.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    acumbess wrote: »
    OK why is it not releasing on Xbox 360?!?!?! I mean its on PC so why not XBOX??? makes no sense to me...

why do you keep making work for me?!?!?!

It's all explained in here. Go write to Microsoft in these big letters and wait for an answer.
  • edited December 2010
    wow, my year is starting out quite sad.
    I have been excited and patiently awaiting BTTF on xbox, I love BTTF pretty much more than anything out there. I have watched the movies more times than i can even remember, own 6 copies of each movie on different formats, have the full authentic marty mcfly outfit for halloweens, So i decided to check up on this game and see when it was coming out.
    But my heart sunk reading here that i would never be able to play it because i chose a different console and cannot play on the PC, truly a sad day. I would have paid for this without a second thought, but thats that i guess :/
  • edited December 2010
    Comatose wrote: »
    wow, my year is starting out quite sad.
    I have been excited and patiently awaiting BTTF on xbox, I love BTTF pretty much more than anything out there. I have watched the movies more times than i can even remember, own 6 copies of each movie on different formats, have the full authentic marty mcfly outfit for halloweens, So i decided to check up on this game and see when it was coming out.
    But my heart sunk reading here that i would never be able to play it because i chose a different console and cannot play on the PC, truly a sad day. I would have paid for this without a second thought, but thats that i guess :/

Are you sure your PC won't play it? Mine's 4 or 5 years old with a bottom of the line integrated graphics card and it can run it on low settings.
  • edited January 2011
    Any news on the PS3 version?
  • edited January 2011
    Are you sure your PC won't play it? Mine's 4 or 5 years old with a bottom of the line integrated graphics card and it can run it on low settings.
    its not that it won't play it, my pc isn't even a year old. I just don't play games on pc, i don't like it. Yeah its a personal preference but i use my pc for work more than anything, and with me constantly using it to render videos and review files several hours in length from my job, i would never have a free moment where my resources would not be hammered to play this game.
    Even if i did decide to play it on pc, i can't see myself paying for something i would only play through once per episode, if i had this on my xbox i would probly play it as much as i watch the movies.
    I have been literally saddened since i found this information out, me and my friends were excited since the day it was announced, i just wish it would have been announced more accurately so i wouldn't of had to run into this "heavy" disappointment.
  • edited January 2011
    In all fairness, there is always the possibility that it will be released on 360 later after the season is over.

As for being "announced more accurately" it was never announced for 360. The BTTF and JP games were originally planned for "all major consoles" but after evaluating how much trouble TellTale would have to go through to bring them to the 360 and the Wii, they made the decision to keep it PC/Mac/iPad/PS3 only.
  • edited January 2011
    Comatose wrote: »
    its not that it won't play it, my pc isn't even a year old. I just don't play games on pc, i don't like it. Yeah its a personal preference but i use my pc for work more than anything, and with me constantly using it to render videos and review files several hours in length from my job, i would never have a free moment where my resources would not be hammered to play this game.
    Even if i did decide to play it on pc, i can't see myself paying for something i would only play through once per episode, if i had this on my xbox i would probly play it as much as i watch the movies.
    I have been literally saddened since i found this information out, me and my friends were excited since the day it was announced, i just wish it would have been announced more accurately so i wouldn't of had to run into this "heavy" disappointment.

You'll have to write to Microsoft and tell them not to be douches about their XBLA system since that's where the problem lies.

Trust me, I'm not amused by the fact that it's not out for the 360 version either, though I don't use my PC for work, so I can't say I'm in the same boat as you there.
  • edited January 2011
    Winckle wrote: »
    Any news on the PS3 version?

None that I've heard.
  • edited January 2011
    I'm sorry this is another Xbox 360 thread but hear me out.

As a huge Back to the Future fan, I would love to play it on 360. That's why I'm here and I'm wondering how I can help show TTG that there's a large fanbase that wants to see BttF game on Xbox 360. If you have any ideas on how to show them there is demand for this game for 360, please let me know. I'm willing to help in any way, shape or form. I think if enough people show there is demand for it, Telltale Games will make it happen.

For now, I hope this will help. I created a page for this on facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Back-to-the-Future-The-Game-for-Xbox-360/160691060643969

I heard TTG had some problems with some of their games on Xbox 360 because Microsoft is too strict. That's completely understandable and I don't blame TTG for it. Maybe an excellent solution would be to release all BttF episodes as a "Complete" pack at retail as a standalone video game.

That's about it. I hope there will be enough demand for this game for Xbox 360. Either way, I'm going to buy it for Mac as soon as I get my new credit card. If it ever comes to Xbox 360, I'll buy it as well. I just believe everyone should have the chance to experience this amazing game whether it's on PC, Mac OSX, PS3 and anything else. Everyone becomes a winner that way. Thanks.

p.s. I didn't know where to make this thread. I tried looking for one called "platform discussion" but couldn't find it. Feel free to move this where it belongs but please don't remove it.
  • edited January 2011
    I tried looking for one called "platform discussion" but couldn't find it.
    Back to the Future Platform Discussion
  • edited January 2011
    A solution to this would be for Telltale Games to release all episodes as a "complete" edition or whatever, at retail (on disc as a standalone game). That would avoid Microsoft's very strict policies it has with Xbox Live Arcade.

Anyways, I made this page on facebook to show there is demand on Xbox 360 for this game:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Back-to-the-Future-The-Game-for-Xbox-360/160691060643969

Hopefully this will be helpful. I'm buying it for my Mac but if it ever comes out for Xbox 360, I'll buy it as well.
  • edited January 2011
    I know it sucks that BttF (probably) isn't coming to the 360, but at least understand it isn't Telltale's fault. Given all they've had to go through, consider yourself lucky they even bother with consoles at all.

Were lucky that they even bother with consoles at all? No, they are lucky that they now have the ability to program for consoles and to not take advantage of that, regardless of the problems in the past, is nothing short of ridiculous especially from a business perspective. How many sales do you think Telltale loses on PC's due to piracy? How many sales do you think they lose on consoles due to piracy? Do you even realize how big the 360 maketplace is and before you start quoting sales figures from previous titles, BTTF is a whole different ballgame from Sam and Max or Monkey Island.

The bottom line is any "smart" company would want to release their games on as many markets as possible. To alienate an entire system like Xbox 360 is just bad business no matter how you look at it. If the episodic nature of their releases is a problem then at the very least they can just release it as a full game when the series is done.

I would have purchased it in a heartbeat on 360 marketplace, like I have with all of the other telltale game offerings on the 360. My pristine image of Telltale Games has suddenly started showing signs of tarnishing.
  • edited January 2011
    Were lucky that they even bother with consoles at all? No, they are lucky that they now have the ability to program for consoles and to not take advantage of that, regardless of the problems in the past, is nothing short of ridiculous especially from a business perspective. How many sales do you think Telltale loses on PC's due to piracy? How many sales do you think they lose on consoles due to piracy? Do you even realize how big the 360 maketplace is and before you start quoting sales figures from previous titles, BTTF is a whole different ballgame from Sam and Max or Monkey Island.

The bottom line is any "smart" company would want to release their games on as many markets as possible. To alienate an entire system like Xbox 360 is just bad business no matter how you look at it. If the episodic nature of their releases is a problem then at the very least they can just release it as a full game when the series is done.

I would have purchased it in a heartbeat on 360 marketplace, like I have with all of the other telltale game offerings on the 360. My pristine image of Telltale Games has suddenly started showing signs of tarnishing.

And how do you know they're NOT planning to do a full season block at the end? Granted they'll have some major problems doing it, but I'm sure if Xbox fans are happy to put up lower quality voices, music and graphics, then yeah, it can come to XBLA.
  • edited January 2011

Clap, Clap, Clap.

Way to twist sales figures to meet your argument. PC Gaming equates to 51%. Please, lol. Of course the proper way to dissect that pie chart, at least in regards to this argument, would be to combine PC/Mac download and PC/Mac boxed (which equals 19%) and then compare that directly to the 43% for consoles. All of the other categories are inconsequential to this particular argument. They are separate areas of gaming period and just because they happen on a PC doesn't mean you just slap them together with regular PC gaming. Thats complete nonsense.

Console gaming is where the money is. It has 43% and the next largest chunk would be the PC at 19%. Thats only 44% of what consoles are selling and thats not even looking at the fact that 2010 was a bad year, for obvious reasons. 2009 consoles sales had an even larger chunk and once the economy recovers, that will again be the case.
  • edited January 2011
    And how do you know they're NOT planning to do a full season block at the end? Granted they'll have some major problems doing it, but I'm sure if Xbox fans are happy to put up lower quality voices, music and graphics, then yeah, it can come to XBLA.

I dont know one way or the other but you would certainly think if that was the plan then they would say that's what the plan was. Why wouldn't Telltale be able to say they were planning on releasing this game in its entirety on the 360 when it was finished?? The fact that people are bickering left and right and some are getting really upset that its not being released (thus far) on the 360 is just all the more reason why they should just confirm it, again if that's what the plan is. The fact that they haven't is extremely telling in my book. If they are planning on releasing it in its entirity on the 360 and are just not saying so.....well that imo is just another poor business decision on their part.
  • edited January 2011
    The fact that they haven't is extremely telling in my book. If they are planning on releasing it in its entirity on the 360 and are just not saying so.....well that imo is just another poor business decision on their part.

But what do TellTale do? Come on, this is an easy one! Episodic Gaming! They're probably only just finishing off Episode 2 now, the thing is, TellTale can't say for certain what the overall file size of Back to the Future is, because, well, it all hasn't been made yet!

Why bother starting to create an Xbox 360 version if the final outcome is something like 1GB over Microsoft's Limits, it would be wasted work on TellTale's part.

So perhaps they're waiting until Episode 5 is finalised, to know the overall project size, and then work on how and if it's possible to fit it in the Size Limits, and if it is, then they'll announce it?
  • edited January 2011
    But what do TellTale do? Come on, this is an easy one! Episodic Gaming! They're probably only just finishing off Episode 2 now, the thing is, TellTale can't say for certain what the overall file size of Back to the Future is, because, well, it all hasn't been made yet!

Why bother starting to create an Xbox 360 version if the final outcome is something like 1GB over Microsoft's Limits, it would be wasted work on TellTale's part.

So perhaps they're waiting until Episode 5 is finalised, to know the overall project size, and then work on how and if it's possible to fit it in the Size Limits, and if it is, then they'll announce it?

What do Telltale do? You make it seem like some difficult thing when its really not. Its simple. You announce that its coming to the 360 and you release the game when its done. If it winds up being to big to release it on Live then dont release it on Live. Release it in Disc form. This is BTTF were talking about, not some no named IP that might cost Telltale a lot of money if it didn't sell well in disc form. This is Back to the Future, one of the most recognized names in the history of Hollywood.

So sorry I am just not buying it and no matter what the situation is, it all boils down to bad business decisions in my book. There is no reason why they couldn't have announced this game for the 360 and again simply released it when it was finished. Zip, Nodda, None.

The ironic aspect to this entire debate is the fact that they designed this game to be super easy so as to apepal to a bigger market and hence make more money. Yet at the same time they cut out the 360 which is one of the largest markets in the US for gaming. It makes absolutely ZERO sense. Again just bad business decisions in my book. Again my flawless image of Telltale has really taken a hit as of late. I just dont know what to think or what to expect from these guys at this point. I Just dont know!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.