Back to the Future Platform Discussion

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Oh, never mind, I misread the post, but I don't get it either, PS3's are apparently PS1 BC, but I don't get why the Hell they can't work PS2 BC, it does make no sense whatsoever.

Because the PS3 emulates the PS1, while it USED the actual ps2 hardware. It cost money, that's why they removed it.

I mean I assume you guys are not stupid. Cauz it would be like asking "omfg why can't my DVD player play ps2 games ?"
    Cause I don't want to play PS2 games on my PC, PS2 games are meant to be played on a television and regular console, and besides, I don't know how to deal with things like ISOs and stuff.

And just like the SNES, the ps2 games are not meant to be played on HD screen....
  • edited December 2010
    Strayth wrote: »
    Because the PS3 emulates the PS1, while it USED the actual ps2 hardware. It cost money, that's why they removed it.

I mean I assume you guys are not stupid. Cauz it would be like asking "omfg why can't my DVD player play ps2 games ?"

And just like the SNES, the ps2 games are not meant to be played on HD screen....

:rolleyes: Heaven forbid Sony, a multimillion dollar corporation spend some of their precious money to get their PS2 compatibility workable.
  • edited December 2010
    Heaven forbid Sony, a multimillion dollar corporation spend some of their precious money to get their PS2 compatibility workable.

You do know, that except for the Wii, there's not a single console in the history that was sold without losing money when it came out, right ?

Also, the ps3 was super expensive, and the 360 was way ahead. They needed to reduced the price, and thus, the cost, so the lost would be minimized...

Seriously man ...

How about Kinect ? It cost microsoft something like 40 dollars to produce it and they sell it 150 dollars. What about Xbox live ?

Isn't Microsoft world's richest company (or almost) ?

What about Nintendo that is worst than those two and only rely on marketing and advertizing ?
  • edited December 2010
    You do know, that except for the Wii, there's not a single console in the history that was sold without losing money when it came out, right ?

Also, the ps3 was super expensive, and the 360 was way ahead. They needed to reduced the price, and thus, the cost, so the lost would be minimized...

Seriously man ...

How about Kinect ? It cost microsoft something like 40 dollars to produce it and they sell it 150 dollars. What about Xbox live ?

Isn't Microsoft world's richest company (or almost) ?

What about Nintendo that is worst than those two and only rely on marketing and advertizing ?

Well, that's Sony's fault for pricing their console so ridiculously high. My point still stands, until the current generation of PS3's get their PS2 BC back, I'm not getting one.

That may sound ridiculous, but I don't see a reason why I should have both a PS2 and PS3 at the same time when one of them should do the job correctly.
  • edited December 2010
    Well, that's Sony's fault for pricing their console so ridiculously high. My point still stands, until the current generation of PS3's get their PS2 BC back, I'm not getting one.

That may sound ridiculous, but I don't see a reason why I should have both a PS2 and PS3 at the same time when one of them should do the job correctly.

Sony's fault ? They were still losing money on the PS3. The price was indeed ridiculously high, but don't think they just decided to shoot themselves in the foot for no reason >_> ... Seriously man ...

It's not as if you actually had a ps2, you know ...

Moreover, I checked for the PS3 with BC, well I'm french so maybe it's different in the US, but there's one on ebay that costs only 130 bucks...
  • edited December 2010
    I forgot that the old PS3's had to actually use PS2 hardware. My bad. Honestly though, if you want to play PS2 games, you're still better off buying another PS2. Otherwise, you'll have to start every single one of your games over on PS3.

Kinect...as soon as I saw that, my gut instinct was "This is gonna be stupid." And I don't think they've proven me wrong.

As for Nintendo, they keep making money because people enjoy games made by Nintendo. The only real problem with the Wii and the DS is the overabundance of "shovel-ware". Stuff like a billion sports games that pretty much rip off Wii Sports. Why should a game producer put out a really good game that fully utilizes the capabilities of the Wii, both graphically and gameplay wise when you can just put out a few copies of the same game with slightly altered settings and still make the same amount of money? This sadly results in a ****-ton of crappy games that overshadow the truly good ones. Unfortunately, Nintendo's Wii-Ware is almost as un-user-friendly as XBLA when it comes to episodic games, that's why there hasn't been one for it by TellTale since Strong Bad.
  • edited December 2010
    Sony's fault ? They were still losing money on the PS3. The price was indeed ridiculously high, but don't think they just decided to shoot themselves in the foot for no reason >_> ... Seriously man ...

It's not as if you actually had a ps2, you know ...

Moreover, I checked for the PS3 with BC, well I'm french so maybe it's different in the US, but there's one on ebay that costs only 130 bucks...

Well, shoot themselves in the foot they did. NO console should be $600 at release, that's just ridiculous.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Ashki wrote: »
    Well, shoot themselves in the foot they did. NO console should be $600 at release, that's just ridiculous.

Amen!
  • edited December 2010
    Agreed. Especially since there really wasn't any spectacularly new technology in the system. It's not something like the Nintendo's upcoming 3DS that incorporates a 3D screen, motion sensor, 3D camera, as well as graphics on par with the Gamecube or the Wii. That's something I expect to be more expensive than the DSi or PSP. The PS3 isn't that much ahead of the 360, so it didn't need to cost that much.
  • edited December 2010
    At the time it was the cheapest available blu-ray player.
  • edited December 2010
    linorn wrote: »
    At the time it was the cheapest available blu-ray player.

Well, the thing there is that at the time, I had a DVD player and had no intention of getting a Blu-Ray player due to how ridiculously priced those were as well.
  • edited December 2010
    My point is that the tech for blu-rays was untested so everything that had the capability of playing them was expensive, and of all the players the PS3 was the cheapest AND it played games.
  • edited December 2010
    My point is that the tech for blu-rays was untested so everything that had the capability of playing them was expensive, and of all the players the PS3 was the cheapest AND it played games.

And it was still out of the price range of an ordinary person, that's the reason why Sony failed this time around IMO.
  • edited December 2010
    What exactly happened?

Nothing. People will blame Microsoft for anything. People keep repeating what they hear on the internet, so it must be true. When you ask them what happen, you will never get an answer, and the one you get won't have any proof to back it up.

It happened with Bad Company 2. The game was horrible from the beginning. It was really laggy, people were warping and getting kicked alot. Dice tried to blame it on gamers, and they said it enough to where people started to believe them. They eventually fixed the lag, and it was on their end. The people that they had convinced, was telling everyone that it was their connection.

Say something long enough to people who don't have a clue and they will spread the rumor like a wildfire.
  • edited December 2010
    meOFF wrote: »
    Nothing. People will blame Microsoft for anything. People keep repeating what they hear on the internet, so it must be true. When you ask them what happen, you will never get an answer, and the one you get won't have any proof to back it up.

When Wallace and Gromit was being released, the XBLA versions came out a long time after the PC versions, despite being completed at the same time. As I recall, when The Devil's Playhouse came out, the PS3 versions came out concurrently or very shortly after the PC/Mac versions. Maybe it's not airtight proof, but it's certainly evidence that the flaws were in Microsoft's system and not Telltale's.

I'm curious, why are you so desperate to defend Microsoft and dismiss any accusations that their system needs work? They're not exactly an underdog.
  • edited December 2010
    doggans wrote: »
    When Wallace and Gromit was being released, the XBLA versions came out a long time after the PC versions, despite being completed at the same time. As I recall, when The Devil's Playhouse came out, the PS3 versions came out concurrently or very shortly after the PC/Mac versions. Maybe it's not airtight proof, but it's certainly evidence that the flaws were in Microsoft's system and not Telltale's.

I'm curious, why are you so desperate to defend Microsoft and dismiss any accusations that their system needs work? They're not exactly an underdog.

It happens all the time. Look at multiplatform games that have been released on the 360 first then alot later on PS3.
  • edited December 2010
    It happens all the time. Look at multiplatform games that have been released on the 360 first then alot later on PS3.

That has absolutely NO link whatsoever...
  • edited December 2010
    meOFF wrote: »

That's almost solely due to exclusivity deals.
  • edited December 2010
    That's almost solely due to exclusivity deals.

Says who, speculation?
  • edited December 2010
    No, that's the way it works. I don't think I've ever seen a bigger Microsoft fanboy...
  • edited December 2010
    It's true though. Not all belated ports are because of exclusive deals.
    Mass Effect is a prime example of this. The franchise was never planned to be released on PS3.
    There is a chance BttF will appear for the Xbox360.

However slim it may seem at the moment.
  • edited December 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    It's true though. Not all belated ports are because of exclusive deals.
    Mass Effect is a prime example of this. The franchise was never planned to be released on PS3.

Which is a shame, but I'm not about to boycott Bioware because they decided to put the game on the 360 only.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    I am not sure though.....maybe there was an exclusive deal.
    But I guess the point I was trying to make is that exclusive deals do not mean a port will never see the day of the light.

So again; At the moment BttF on Xbox360 seems slim and not to happen in the early distant.

EDIT: Okay...I figured out how to explain it. You have 'exclusive deals' and you have exclusive deals.
    The first one means that a game will stay exclusive for a set period of time.
    The second one means that the chance of it appearing on another console ever is 0%.
    This because either the studio belongs to the console company or that the game was developed to run on one specific console.
    An example is Uncharted. It won't be able to run on Xbox360, simple as that.
    Other examples are Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian. All games released by Sony's house development studio.
    Games that will never appear on another console but Sony's
  • edited December 2010
    Exactly Origami, exactly! Now, sometimes it may take quite a while, such as the re-release/port of No More Heroes to the PS3/360 in Japan, but it does happen occasionally, but sometimes it's a done deal, it stays on one console. Dead Rising is a good example, and for the 2nd one, obviously they decided to release it on multiple platforms. But the point is, don't count BTTF out on 360 permanently. Look at the Strongbad game. That was originally PC/Wii. Now it's coming to PS3.
  • edited December 2010
    Graphic wise this game looks like it could work on Wii.
  • edited December 2010
    It could, very easily. Which is kind of a shame that it's not coming to the Wii, point and click would work very well for the system. :p

The Wii is far more capable than the mass amounts of crappy sports games would have you think. But, as I've said before, few developers take the time to actually develop a game for the Wii. Say what you will about the gameplay for the Sonic games on the Wii(Colors is pretty much the only good one), they looked very pretty for a "low-def" system. Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a New World looked pretty good too. Obviously games that Nintendo makes themselves for the Wii look fantastic, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and the two Mario Galaxy games for prime example. I'm not saying it's perfect by any means, and I'm well aware that I'm in the minority when I say I care more about fun gameplay and great storytelling over graphics that make you go "HOLY CRAP DID YOU SEE THAT GUY'S BRAINS FLY OUT WHEN I SHOT HIM?!"
  • edited December 2010
    Graphic wise this game looks like it could work on Wii.

As a disc release? Maybe. As a WiiWare release (which, if done episodically, it would have to be)? No.

I think Telltale learned their lesson about WiiWare when they had to give Tales of Monkey Island a severe graphical tonedown to make it fit the 40 MB size limit. If you look at the PC and Wii versions of ToMI side-by-side, they almost seem like completely different games.

Speaking of WiiWare, when is Puzzle Agent coming out for it? :confused:
  • edited December 2010
    Ashki wrote: »
    As for getting a first gen PS3 on Ebay. Heeeellll no those would be priced way to damn high due to the fact that they're the only PS3's with PS2 BC.

I don't know about where you are, but there are a load of first gen 60GB and 20GB models on Ebay floating around £200 at the moment, which is cheaper than a new Slim console, some also coming with a few games and other stuff, soo, you know, PS2 backwards compatible PS3's don't fetch much on Ebay these days.

...as long as you exclude that one guy who's selling one for £900, the hell is he thinking.
  • edited December 2010
    That has to be one of the dumber decisions I've ever seen a developer make.

I sure hope they come to their senses.
  • edited December 2010
    There are like 15 different threads complaining about the 360 not getting BTTF. It's the same answer every time too. It has nothing to do with TellTale Games and everything to do with Microsoft not doing things correctly. They take too long to release TellTale products.
  • edited December 2010
    i would agree 100%!!

the xbox version would sell so many more copies. they would sell more than PS3 as well. More people have xbox360 than PS3 and Ipad combined!
  • edited December 2010
    There are like 15 different threads complaining about the 360 not getting BTTF. It's the same answer every time too. It has nothing to do with TellTale Games and everything to do with Microsoft not doing things correctly. They take too long to release TellTale products.
    That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard and not even true.
  • edited December 2010
    sethf11 wrote: »
    the xbox version would sell so many more copies. they would sell more than PS3 as well. More people have xbox360 than PS3 and Ipad combined!
    Exactly. It's simple math. You don't have to be Doc Brown!
  • edited December 2010
    There are like 15 different threads complaining about the 360 not getting BTTF. It's the same answer every time too.

Shouldn't there be a sticky thread for why the game's not released for the XBox 360?...

Anyway, people wouldn't read it. Happens all the time :(
  • edited December 2010
    Carlos85G wrote: »
    Shouldn't there be a sticky thread for why the game's not released for the XBox 360?...

Anyway, people woulnd't read it. Happens all the time :(
    I would read it. The rationale behind this strange decision must be interesting.
  • edited December 2010
    HOKIEKC wrote: »
    That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard and not even true.

It's not an excuse. That's directly from TellTale themselves. They had so many problems with one of their earlier games on the 360 not coming out in a timely fashion and they didn't want to repeat that with Back to the Future. This has been stated several times, and is growing rather wearisome. I agree with Carlos, there should be a sticky about that, but I doubt that anyone would read it, just like no one takes the time to search the forums to see if their issue has been brought up before.
  • edited December 2010
    It's not an excuse. That's directly from TellTale themselves. They had so many problems with one of their earlier games on the 360 not coming out in a timely fashion and they didn't want to repeat that with Back to the Future. This has been stated several times, and is growing rather wearisome. I agree with Carlos, there should be a sticky about that, but I doubt that anyone would read it, just like no one takes the time to search the forums to see if their issue has been brought up before.
    But it's not true. CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: Fatal Conspiracy was released for the PC, Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 on Oct. 26th, 2010.
  • edited December 2010
    In before the mods merge this into my platform discussion thread. ;)

Anyway, welcome to the boards. To answer your question, Telltale deals in episodic gaming (releasing a short downloadable episode periodically, monthly in Telltale's case, that forms a full game when you look at all the episodes as a whole). Episodic gaming is comparatively easy on the PC, since with digital distribution services like Steam (or Telltale's own store) you can release a game whenever you're ready to. With consoles, it's not so easy. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft all get to decide what games appear on their systems, and all third-party games need to go through an approval process before being released. Not to mention that all three console makers get to regulate their console's downloadable gaming service. They decide when the game is released, how you buy the game, how big the game can be, and sometimes even how much the game costs. When they designed these services, they were never really expecting a third-party developer would want to release a new game every month.

Despite the problems of doing episodic gaming on consoles, Telltale has still tried on all three systems. When they released Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People and Tales of Monkey Island on WiiWare, as well as Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures on Xbox Live Arcade...

-The episodes were delayed. (Wallace and Gromit was the worst offender, with Episodes 2, 3, and 4 all being released several months after the series finished for the PC. And Puzzle Agent still hasn't come out for WiiWare yet.)
    -The episodes cost more money than their PC counterparts.
    -You had to buy each episode individually, while with the PC you had the option of buying the entire season in advance.
    -In Monkey Island's case, the episodes had to be severely toned down to fit WiiWare's 40 MB size limit.

While when Telltale released Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse for the PS3, they had none of these problems.

I know it sucks that BttF (probably) isn't coming to the 360, but at least understand it isn't Telltale's fault. Given all they've had to go through, consider yourself lucky they even bother with consoles at all.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010

But only one minute!!
  • edited December 2010

Anyway, welcome to the boards. To answer your question, Telltale deals in episodic gaming (releasing a short downloadable episode periodically, monthly in Telltale's case, that forms a full game when you look at all the episodes as a whole). Episodic gaming is comparatively easy on the PC, since with digital distribution services like Steam (or Telltale's own store) you can release a game whenever you're ready to. With consoles, it's not so easy. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft all get to decide what games appear on their systems, and all third-party games need to go through an approval process before being released. Not to mention that all three console makers get to regulate their console's downloadable gaming service. They decide when the game is released, how you buy the game, how big the game can be, and sometimes even how much the game costs. When they designed these services, they were never really expecting a third-party developer would want to release a new game every month.

Despite the problems of doing episodic gaming on consoles, Telltale has still tried on all three systems. When they released Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People and Tales of Monkey Island on WiiWare, as well as Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures on Xbox Live Arcade...

-The episodes were delayed. (Wallace and Gromit was the worst offender, with Episodes 2, 3, and 4 all being released several months after the series finished for the PC. And Puzzle Agent still hasn't come out for WiiWare yet.)
    -The episodes cost more money than their PC counterparts.
    -You had to buy each episode individually, while with the PC you had the option of buying the entire season in advance.
    -In Monkey Island's case, the episodes had to be severely toned down to fit WiiWare's 40 MB size limit.

While when Telltale released Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse for the PS3, they had none of these problems.

I know it sucks that BttF (probably) isn't coming to the 360, but at least understand it isn't Telltale's fault. Given all they've had to go through, consider yourself lucky they even bother with consoles at all.
    I don't care if the game is 3-4 months late. Why isn't it coming period to the Xbox 360?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.