Back to the Future Platform Discussion

EDIT: I originally made this thread to speculate on what systems BttF will be released on. It's since been confirmed for PC, Mac, iPad, and PlayStation 3.

It will not be on the Xbox 360 or Wii, at least for now, presumably because Telltale's past experiences with WiiWare and XBLA haven't been as pleasant as theirs with PSN. However, bringing it to these systems later isn't out of the question.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    If I remember correctly the press release, what they say is that previous Telltale games were on all major platforms (some of them on some platforms, some others on others platforms, but not on all of them at once), and not that the new games will be on all those platforms.
  • edited October 2010
    Damn, I thought that it meant it would be on all platforms too. I would also like it to be on Wii. I would like that a lot.
  • edited October 2010
    The first announcement that was on AP said
    Telltale Games is going back in time for a new series of video games.

The developer is creating episodic titles based on the "Back to the Future" and "Jurassic Park" franchises. The popular Universal Studios film trilogies spawned several games in their heyday in the '80s and '90s but have been absent from the interactive realm. The as-yet-untitled Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, PC and Mac games are set to be released this winter.
  • edited October 2010
    We haven't made any official announcements about platforms for Back to the Future or Jurassic Park yet. Any statement made about platforms for those games are purely speculation.
  • edited October 2010
    I hope that they don't put neither of them on Wii, because that would mean lower quality graphics and music. I don't want another masterpiece of score (ToMI) ruined by the synths.
  • edited October 2010
    We haven't made any official announcements about platforms for Back to the Future or Jurassic Park yet. Any statement made about platforms for those games are purely speculation.

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up, Alan. I guess I misread the press release.

I'll just say that it would be really cool if Telltale put a game on every system, then. ;)
  • edited October 2010
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    I hope that they don't put neither of them on Wii, because that would mean lower quality graphics and music. I don't want another masterpiece of score (ToMI) ruined by the synths.

You're confusing 'Wii' with 'Wiiware'. The Wii can run games fine, bit their download service Wiiware has size restrictions which meant ToMI was compressed and had different audio.
  • edited October 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    You're confusing 'Wii' with 'Wiiware'. The Wii can run games fine, bit their download service Wiiware has size restrictions which meant ToMI was compressed and had different audio.

Ah, I see! Sorry for the confusion then :)
  • edited October 2010
    The thing is, the Wii works so differently from its counterparts that if they want to release BttF on the Wii and have it done right, they'd need to develop it with the Wii in mind. With SBCG4AP, Telltale knew they were making a game that'd be on the Wii, and took that into account while working on it, and so the WiiWare version of Strong Bad is just as good as the PC version. While with the ports of the first two Sam and Max seasons and Tales of Monkey Island...not so much.

I don't think there's been a game yet where the Wii version is every bit as good as its PS3/360 counterparts. (I heard the Wii version of Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions is the same aside from a graphical downgrade, but I've never played it.) To be fair, point-and-click adventures aren't as graphics-and-gameplay-intensive as an action game, but that doesn't mean there can't be problems.
  • edited October 2010
    Please release it for iPhone and iPad. I have the former and while I'd play it through for the first time on PC, it would be great to have a portable version on my phone. And on iPad, it would be brilliant.
  • edited October 2010
    I don't think there's been a game yet where the Wii version is every bit as good as its PS3/360 counterparts.

Beatles Rock Band.
  • edited October 2010
    As much as I want both BttF and JP for Wii, I can't shake off the feeling that any developer has dropped the ball on the console lately.
    Telltale has at least the guts to face the challenge tackling the systems limitations, but who knows how high they set the bar for both games?

Let's just be happy that at least those Franchises get another chance.
  • edited October 2010
    http://www.telltalegames.com/bttf

Look at the bottom. PC, Mac, iPad, and PS3.

I guess it's official, then.
  • edited October 2010

Hooray for iPad. I hope this means that future games from Telltale also have a chance of making it on the iPad. :)
  • edited October 2010
    I'll be getting it on Mac day 1, but I hope when the season is finished they'll release it on 360, too, so I can buy it again. PLEEEEEEASE let there be multiple seasons.
  • edited October 2010
    W00000TTT!!!
    It's up for Pre-Order!!!
    :D

I'll get it on PC (& Mac) as a christmas present now, then get it on PS3 at christmas too!
    Any idea what the PSN's price will be? £15ish?
    GREAT JOB, GUYS!
    :D

Oh, and anybody want a Puzzle Agent gift? I've got the game like three times now. :p
  • edited October 2010

Well then, how about PC, Mac, WiiWare and Xbox 360 for Jurassic Park, please? :o;)
  • edited October 2010
    Well then, how about PC, Mac, WiiWare and Xbox 360 for Jurassic Park, please? :o;)

I imagine it will be the same platorms for JP as the ones they've announced for BTTF.
  • edited October 2010
    They tend to mix their consoles up on different games. I'm guessing Xbox360 instead of PS3 for Jurassic Park.

And hopefully announcements of bundled Wii disc versions once the final episodes launch.
  • edited October 2010
    Thank goodness I have both PS3 and XBox 360. I really want to play BttF on the big screen. It'll be a painful wait for it to be released on the PS3 when it will already been available on the PC though. I guess I'll have to use my pre-order code for episode 1 and hopefully that can tide me over until I can buy it on PSN.
  • edited October 2010
    They tend to mix their consoles up on different games. I'm guessing Xbox360 instead of PS3 for Jurassic Park.

We'll see. The last two titles (Sam & Max / ToMI) have been only on PS3 (the latter was on Wii also).

I will be pre-ordering on PC and PS3 -- guess I'm crazy like that.

Hopefully info regarding the pre-order for PS3 will be unveiled soon.
  • edited October 2010
    Spykes wrote: »
    Thank goodness I have both PS3 and XBox 360. I really want to play BttF on the big screen. It'll be a painful wait for it to be released on the PS3 when it will already been available on the PC though. I guess I'll have to use my pre-order code for episode 1 and hopefully that can tide me over until I can buy it on PSN.

Going forward, I believe they're coming out simultaneously on PC/Mac and PS3, much like Sam & Max: Devil's Playhouse.
  • edited October 2010

Each PS3 episode of The Devil's Playhouse only came out like a day or two after the PC/Mac release, right? You probably wouldn't have to wait too much.
  • edited October 2010
    Love these games.. and Back to the Future far too much not to buy it instantly. But I'm very disappointed to see the 360 left out of all these recent releases, especially as the previous games that were released for it worked very well.
  • edited October 2010
    Th Wii's graphics are not that powerful but most TT P&C games aren't either actually. and the Wii has fantastic sound. So I've no clue what "Trenchfoot" is rambling about.

This would be SPLENDID on the Wii !!!
  • edited October 2010
    People get confused between the 40MB limit placed on downloadable wiiware titles (and the compression etc needed to squeeze ToMI into that service), and the Wii itself.
  • edited October 2010
    I really hope we end up seeing BTTF on 360 when all five games are out, and hopefully news of The Devil's Playhouse now that the season has finished.
  • edited October 2010
    Huzzah! BTTF for the iPad! I can't wait! (Please release on Nov. 17 please release on Nov. 17!!)
  • edited October 2010

I seriously hope TellTale don't ever cater for WiiWare again, having to squash games into 40MB just wasn't the best design choice around and I really think it's unfair that a game could potentially be compromised due to one platform having insane restrictions. At least with the Xbox 360 and PS3 the limit is 2GB to allow much more freedom and the hardware can handle a lot more, bringing it in line with PC.

From what I've gathered, Wiiware just didn't work for Monkey Island, from the downscaled music being MIDI to the pricing structure of the WiiWare Store meaning the Wii version cost like twice as much. The appeal of the PSN for TellTale was that the PSN now allowed a subscription, pay up front style, like what the TellTale store does for the PC/Mac versions, so the price works out near enough the same.
  • edited October 2010
    isco wrote: »
    Huzzah! BTTF for the iPad! I can't wait! (Please release on Nov. 17 please release on Nov. 17!!)

Considering the preview trailer is slated for Dec 2, I think you may be out of luck.
  • edited October 2010
    Considering the preview trailer is slated for Dec 2, I think you may be out of luck.

I can still hope for at least a major upadate on the 17.
  • edited October 2010
    Ash735 wrote: »
    I seriously hope TellTale don't ever cater for WiiWare again, having to squash games into 40MB just wasn't the best design choice around and I really think it's unfair that a game could potentially be compromised due to one platform having insane restrictions. At least with the Xbox 360 and PS3 the limit is 2GB to allow much more freedom and the hardware can handle a lot more, bringing it in line with PC.

From what I've gathered, Wiiware just didn't work for Monkey Island, from the downscaled music being MIDI to the pricing structure of the WiiWare Store meaning the Wii version cost like twice as much. The appeal of the PSN for TellTale was that the PSN now allowed a subscription, pay up front style, like what the TellTale store does for the PC/Mac versions, so the price works out near enough the same.

Yeah, Telltale shouldn't try making a WiiWare version, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try making a Wii version. Maybe after the series is finished they can put all the episodes on a disc for the Wii, like with the first two Sam and Max seasons.

But they should make sure it's a well-done port, unlike with the first two Sam and Max seasons.
  • edited October 2010
    Wiiware has its place - it was fine for Strongbad, and I dare say it would be great for Poker Night too.
  • edited October 2010
    Poker Night on xbla would be aaaawwwweeeessssooooommmmeeeee.
  • edited October 2010
    I would prefer a disc release for BttF and JP on Wii too, episodic games make me just think of downloading services.

And if they stated in the press-release that the games'll come out for any major plattform, then one game should at least release on either the Wii or the Xbox 360.

But in the end it's in any way the PC version to go for, so why bother?
  • edited October 2010
    sascha23 wrote: »
    Going forward, I believe they're coming out simultaneously on PC/Mac and PS3, much like Sam & Max: Devil's Playhouse.

According to this press release, the PC/Mac versions will be coming out first and the PS3/iPad versions will be released "shortly after".

Link
  • edited October 2010
    According to this press release, the PC/Mac versions will be coming out first and the PS3/iPad versions will be released "shortly after".

Link

Thanks for the heads-up. I wonder how long is "shortly after" -- if the way they released with Sam & Max is any indication, that will be a fairly quick turnaround.
  • edited October 2010
    Obviously, the Wii can't handle the 1.21 Gigawatts necessary for time travel.
  • edited October 2010
    I just don't understand "timed exclusive" releases. All you are doing is alienating part of the potential fan base. (And I aim this not only at the 360 issue, but also the release of the game on PS3 "shortly after" it's released on the PC.)

I am a console gamer. I have a very few things on my computer, but it's really old and I don't know much about updating it. It's just easier for me to have a console. That being said, I try not to be a specific brand "fan-boy" either. I currently own a 360 and a first-generation PS2. I had a PS1 before that. I've liked the Playstation, but was in college back when the PS3 was first released - so I wasn't able to afford it. I, personally, think it was really stupid to take out the backwards compatibility factor, and refuse to buy a PS3 until they bring it back (and won't pay for a way-over priced used first-gen PS3 that has that ability).

Also, I'm completely new to TellTale games. It was the BTTF title that drew my attention and got me to sign up in these forums. The most-recent announcment regarding the platforms for BTTF leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I want to give TT my money - but I don't know if I have a system they will be releasing the game on.

I appreciate the news that the first episode will be available free - and will certainly try it on my computer, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up about it.

Also, the talk/rumors of TT possibily releasing BTTF on 360 after the season is complete does little to help. Will I buy it - you bet. But that means I'll have to wait until sometime later next year to play any of the BTTF game - long after most other players have completed the game. I know I don't want it to be spoiled, so that means I really can't particpate in the BTTF forum while I'm waiting for this "timed exclusive" to run out.
  • edited October 2010
    why no love for the 360??the first two sam&max seasons released first on 360 of all the consoles
Sign in to comment in this discussion.