Back to the Future Platform Discussion

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Glad its on Mac ^^ I dont have a PC anymore.

*preorders*
  • edited October 2010
    I just don't understand "timed exclusive" releases. All you are doing is alienating part of the potential fan base. (And I aim this not only at the 360 issue, but also the release of the game on PS3 "shortly after" it's released on the PC.)
    It's by no means a "timed exclusive" in the sense of a major AAA title, friend. You are completely misunderstanding Telltale's position. They get no money from any platform holder to make anything "exclusive", I assure you of that. Then again, it's easy to understand how a console gamer could not understand how things work.

Telltale is a small company, and they don't have the resources(yet) to produce multiple platforms at once. When their games are released on PC, they're generally working on the games until the day of release, and they are literally put out when they are done, fresh from the gaming oven. They can't release that quickly on any console platform because, unlike PC gaming, consoles have to go through review at the company and(especially for the 360 and Wii) the company then puts the games up "Whenever the hell they feel like it", in some cases months after the game has actually been finished.

It's a matter of them not being "able" to do it, not a matter of them being "unwilling" or "paid off" to.

By the way, try playing this demo(or this for Macs). It's Telltale's last PC game released on the PS3 as well, and so it and Back to the Future should have similar requirements.
  • edited October 2010
    Thanks for the link. I'll see what my computer does with it.
  • edited October 2010
    De-lurking to register my disappointment with no 360 version yet. The 360 is my primary gaming platform, so I have a major sad at no BttF game on that platform. =(

Will there be a possibility for it sometime in the (ha) future, tho'?

If not, I suppose I could trick out my laptop to play it...
  • edited October 2010
    I really hope the Ipad limits doesn't drag down the other platforms...
    it already happened when the Wii limits dragged down the PC version of Tomi with low polys, few locations, MIDI-like music, etc.

Will there be a possibility for it sometime in the (ha) future, tho'?

Sure! Maybe it will be available in the usual Telltale conversions/translation timeline....
    ....so who knows.
  • edited October 2010
    I just don't understand "timed exclusive" releases. All you are doing is alienating part of the potential fan base. (And I aim this not only at the 360 issue, but also the release of the game on PS3 "shortly after" it's released on the PC.)

I am a console gamer. I have a very few things on my computer, but it's really old and I don't know much about updating it. It's just easier for me to have a console. That being said, I try not to be a specific brand "fan-boy" either. I currently own a 360 and a first-generation PS2. I had a PS1 before that. I've liked the Playstation, but was in college back when the PS3 was first released - so I wasn't able to afford it. I, personally, think it was really stupid to take out the backwards compatibility factor, and refuse to buy a PS3 until they bring it back (and won't pay for a way-over priced used first-gen PS3 that has that ability).

Also, I'm completely new to TellTale games. It was the BTTF title that drew my attention and got me to sign up in these forums. The most-recent announcment regarding the platforms for BTTF leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I want to give TT my money - but I don't know if I have a system they will be releasing the game on.

I appreciate the news that the first episode will be available free - and will certainly try it on my computer, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up about it.

Also, the talk/rumors of TT possibily releasing BTTF on 360 after the season is complete does little to help. Will I buy it - you bet. But that means I'll have to wait until sometime later next year to play any of the BTTF game - long after most other players have completed the game. I know I don't want it to be spoiled, so that means I really can't particpate in the BTTF forum while I'm waiting for this "timed exclusive" to run out.

You don't seem to understand WHY it's not coming out for XBLA. Microsoft screwed Telltale over pretty bad with Wallace and Gromit, with 2 months between when it was submitted and when it was released on XBLA, and then just waiting until the end and charging 10 bucks a piece for it still all at once. Whereas on PSN, Sony released Sam and Max the day of release.
    Everyone has a computer. Can most run this game on a low resolution with Graphics set on 1? I would think so.
  • edited October 2010
    I too, would want the game on Xbox.
    I love back to the Future, but my PC can barely handle running a system scan without dying.

Please release the game on XBLA eventually.

Of course, it will take a long time to go through submissions, but it would open the game up to a huge audience.
  • edited October 2010
    The mention of this game drew me to this forum right away. However, I'm very sad that it won't be released on the Wii. I'm not a hard core gamer by any means; we bought the Wii for my young son a couple years ago to have fun on. Since then we have also enjoyed the somewhat mild games (Mario, etc) and have become more interested in gaming.

I know nothing at all about pc gaming. Special controller? Special video card? I have no idea if I'll be able to play this and it's so disappointing it won't be a true multi-platform release. I think Universal should have gone with a company that could handle the load (no offense to this company) and should have paid them to do it right. This is a huge release for the BTTF fandom and already it's not what I really wanted.
  • edited October 2010
    leaper1976 wrote: »
    The mention of this game drew me to this forum right away. However, I'm very sad that it won't be released on the Wii. I'm not a hard core gamer by any means; we bought the Wii for my young son a couple years ago to have fun on. Since then we have also enjoyed the somewhat mild games (Mario, etc) and have become more interested in gaming.

I know nothing at all about pc gaming. Special controller? Special video card? I have no idea if I'll be able to play this and it's so disappointing it won't be a true multi-platform release. I think Universal should have gone with a company that could handle the load (no offense to this company) and should have paid them to do it right. This is a huge release for the BTTF fandom and already it's not what I really wanted.

As mentioned before, WiiWare has a much stricter file size limit than PSN and XBLA. (Not to mention Telltale's history so far of releasing games on WiiWare has had a few problems.)

That said, if you have the money you might want to try downloading Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People or Tales of Monkey Island off WiiWare. (Preferably Monkey Island, since it's newer and thus a better representative of Telltale's current style.) It'd give you an idea of how this game will play, and whether you'd like it. I love adventure games, but I admit the genre isn't for everybody.
  • edited October 2010
    I can help you out if you like. Try this. If it doesn't work smoothly, try lowering the Graphics settings. This should give you a good idea of whether or not your computer can handle the Back to the Future game. Most modern computers should be able to handle Telltale's games.

The only "controller" you'll need is a mouse and/or keyboard(you could also use a USB gamepad if you want, but that's just an option).

EDIT: First link was wrong, fixed it.
  • edited October 2010
    De-lurking to register my disappointment with no 360 version yet. The 360 is my primary gaming platform, so I have a major sad at no BttF game on that platform. =(

Time to change it up to PS3 I suppose. I have both systems, but I slowly weaned away from the 360 and keep it for the rare exclusives I'm into (Alan Wake, Mass Effect). The system had to be replaced several times for me and I got over having to deal with it.

Besides, you'll need to watch the blu-ray version of BTTF on something, right? :D
  • edited October 2010
    I just saw in the "no 360" thread where it was confirmed that there are no plans for a 360 or wii release. I am disappointed with the news, but realize complaining won't change that.

Since these forums are meant for discussion though, here's how I currently see things. BTTF looks like it's going to be in the same place the Ghostbusters video game was. Terminal Reality did a wonderful job developing the GB video game. It truly was the 3rd movie we never got. They had the actors come back and the license behind it. The core game itself was wonderful. But then, after the problems with Activision, Sony decided to give the publishing rights to Atari. BIG mistake. Atari couldn't give GB a proper release and completely refused to support the product after release. Distribution was a nightmare, because Atari couldn't hack it - especially in the UK.

From the looks of things TT has done a wonderful job in the development of BTTF. They've got the original creators, they have the likeness rights, they even got some of the original actors to come back (and the sound-alike for Marty is great). It appears that this will be the BTTF4 we never got. However, it appears that the distribution is really going to hurt the game. They are leaving out a good portion of the gaming community by limiting the platforms that it will be released on.

Quickly, GB went from a 59.99 game to a 19.98 game at walmart. What should have been huge, turned into lackluster. I would hate for the same thing to happen to BTTF.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2010
    The mention of this game drew me to this forum right away. However, I'm very sad that it won't be released on the Wii. [...]
    I think Universal should have gone with a company that could handle the load (no offense to this company) and should have paid them to do it right. This is a huge release for the BTTF fandom and already it's not what I really wanted.

The Wii is a very special gaming platform, justly loved by millions, which has a lot of unique merits; but it's not the most versatile in terms of the games available, which is a pity. Telltale has made an incredible attempt to develop an engine that would be able to serve as many platforms as possible, but there's a limit obviously.

If Universal went to a gaming company that could "handle the load", we'd probably get more of a multi-platform release, but we'd also get a game that's not special. The TTG team have done exactly that before. They might miss the mark this time, who knows, but they have a real shot at it. Huge gaming companies on the other hand, led by endless rows of mindless suits, counting numbers instead of thinking creatively, would definitly play save for this licence and make it as mass-appealing as humanly possible, an action/free-roam/storyless BS, possibly loved today but definitly forgotten tommorow. They'd take the safe road. But where we're going...
  • edited October 2010
    I agree completely..The Wii is fantastic, but it's a completely different platform that stands on it's own. The gameplay is unique, but unfortunately the Wii is designed for multiplayer games and Mario games..Mario Kart Wii, Mario Party, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Guitar Hero, etc. Most video games based on a movie fail..and epic fail on the Wii. The graphics suffer, and sometimes the game itself is redesigned to format the Wii (probably just to make more money, as opposed to make a quality game). Back to the Future just wouldn't work on the Wii, in my opinion. It's not a nintendo character game, nor is it going to be multiplayer.
  • edited October 2010
    While I understand what you're saying regarding the Wii's graphical limitations, of course Back to the Future would work on it (though, not so much on the Wiiware download service).

Telltale's 'CSI: Fatal Conspiracy' has just released across PC, Wii, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.
  • edited October 2010
    I'm new to Telltale games and i was wondering if i were to pre-order the game now, on my laptop, could i play it on the PS3 or do i have order it on the PS3? I don't have the PS3 yet but i might get for Christmas.
  • edited October 2010
    If you pre-order here on Telltale, you will be able to get the PC/Mac versions with that purchase.

The PS3 episodes are purchased separately via the PS3 online store.
  • edited October 2010
    I'm new to Telltale games and i was wondering if i were to pre-order the game now, on my laptop, could i play it on the PS3 or do i have order it on the PS3? I don't have the PS3 yet but i might get for Christmas.

When it comes down to PSN, that's really up for sony to decide and this was how you TDP was, you bought the season and dl'ed the episodes on release.
  • edited October 2010
    I can help you out if you like. Try this. If it doesn't work smoothly, try lowering the Graphics settings. This should give you a good idea of whether or not your computer can handle the Back to the Future game. Most modern computers should be able to handle Telltale's games.

The only "controller" you'll need is a mouse and/or keyboard(you could also use a USB gamepad if you want, but that's just an option).

EDIT: First link was wrong, fixed it.

Thanks for the help. I tried to add the free episode, but the link you sent is just to the cart. Can't enter the code or anything. Is there a link to just the one episode - all I see on their site is for the full 5 episodes.
  • edited October 2010
    The link to the cart used to add Back to the Future Episode 1 of 5 to your cart, but now it doesn't I guess.

Here, the site works when you're remotely linked to it now.
  • edited October 2010
    I was really looking forward to this on the 360. It's a shame with a franchise as big as BTTF, not to release the game on all modern consoles.
  • edited October 2010
    The link to the cart used to add Back to the Future Episode 1 of 5 to your cart, but now it doesn't I guess.

Here, the site works when you're remotely linked to it now.

That worked - awesome, thanks! Looking forward to trying it out. New experience on the computer, so great that you can try before you buy. :)
  • edited October 2010
    I can't believe this! I thought BTTF was going to be on XBLA? Xbox360 is my main console..Please telltale put my game on XBLA..
  • edited October 2010
    I can't believe this! I thought BTTF was going to be on XBLA? Xbox360 is my main console..Please telltale put my game on XBLA..

Sorry. It's already been decided. Just PC, Mac, iPad, and PS3. And after the ridiculous delays the 360 version of Wallace and Gromit suffered, I'd frankly be surprised if Telltale tried doing episodic games on XBLA ever again.
  • edited October 2010
    Sorry. It's already been decided. Just PC, Mac, iPad, and PS3. And after the ridiculous delays the 360 version of Wallace and Gromit suffered, I'd frankly be surprised if Telltale tried doing episodic games on XBLA ever again.

Unfortunately, Mircosoft does have a random, and very slow approval process for XBLA releases. I heard a lot of people talking about waiting til all of the episodes are released and putting them on a disc.

If Telltale has a problem with going through XBLA, which I don't blame them; why not just release BTTF on a disc for the 360 to avoid all that. Also, they wouldn't have to worry about the pricing structure per episode or the achievement limit for XBLA.
  • edited October 2010
    The first two seasons of Sam and Max were released for the 360 in retail disc form, so that's always a possibility. You might have to wait quite a while for that to happen though.
  • edited October 2010
    The first two seasons of Sam and Max were released for the 360 in retail disc form, so that's always a possibility. You might have to wait quite a while for that to happen though.

Actually, the 360 versions of the first two seasons where downloadable titles off of XBLA. (Only each season was considered a whole game, so you didn't need to download each episode individually.) The Wii got them in disc form.
  • edited November 2010
    Why can't they release a disc-based version for the 360?
  • edited November 2010
    They might, but as the end of the season is 6 months away, and a potential XBox disc some time after that, it would be too soon to announce anything yet.

So while there are 'no plans' to release an xbox360 version in the future, they haven't said it will never happen.
  • edited November 2010
    as long as ive waited for a new back to the future game..only to find out no xbox version..great job
  • edited November 2010
    Have you only been waiting as long as the Xbox was around?
  • edited November 2010
    no i have been waiting since i played the nes versions back in probably 1988 but right now the only new system i have is xbox 360 and my "good" computer is dead and im using an old dell laptop with a 900mhz processor and 256mb of ram.
    and im gonna have this game no matter what,
    but now im FORCED to buy another system..maybe a reason to go ahead and buy a new computer or build one or a reason to buy the ps3..but this game is gonna cost ME a couple hundred dollars

dont get me wrong i love them for making the game,
    just frustrated

deep down im hoping some would say there are future plans for a release on 360 but i know how it's gonna go down
  • edited November 2010
    If you can/want to build a computer, it would be a good investment. You can get the parts you want and save money by putting it together yourself. Then you can replace it part by part as you want to upgrade it.
    More and more I prefer games on PC rather than consoles which mostly gets used when I have guests over. PCs that don't play games are just expensive web browsers, music players, and word processors so it's almost wasteful not to upgrade and play games on.

This is also assuming you usually don't play games with anyone else in your household.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited November 2010
    Merged this post with the "Platform discussion" thread.

Welcome ceedub, and good luck! ;)
  • edited November 2010
    I strongly believe BTTF will hit XBLA..it has to! look at all of us who want it on Xbox360, if Telltale is planning a PC and Ps3 release, then how could they just leave out Xbox360 all together when so many people and Us own one..so lets just keep hoping and it not then we have our Pc, I just wonder if my PC is fast enough.
  • edited November 2010
    ceedub wrote: »
    as long as ive waited for a new back to the future game..only to find out no xbox version..great job

Welcome to the boards, ceedub! I can tell you're unfamiliar with Telltale Games, so let me at least explain why there's no 360 version.

Telltale specializes in episodic games (a series of short, cheap, connected games released in quick succession after each other, monthly in Telltale's case). Most of their games have been episodic, and Back to the Future will be no exception.

Episodic games can be done fairly easily on the PC/Mac, because with digital distribution (such as Steam, or Telltale's own store) a company can release a game whenever they want. With consoles, it's a little bit trickier. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft all get to decide what games they want on their consoles, of course, and all third-party games need to go through an approval process before being released. Not to mention that each console maker regulates their downloadable game service and decides how everything works.

Despite the difficulties of releasing episodic games on consoles, Telltale has still tried doing so on all three systems. They released Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People and Tales of Monkey Island on WiiWare, along with Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures for XBLA. You know what happened? The episodes never came out on time, they cost more money than their PC counterparts, you had to buy each episode individually, and ToMI had to be toned down to fit WiiWare's 40 MB size limit. Then they released Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse for PSN. The episodes always came out quickly (at worst, 1-2 days after the PC/Mac version), at the same price as the PC/Mac version, you had your choice of buying episodes individually or getting the whole season as a set, and not only did they not need to tone the game down, the PS3 version ended up getting extra content!

I don't work for Telltale and can't speak on their behalf on what they'll do in the future, but the way I see it they're probably going to release more of their games on PSN and less on XBLA and WiiWare. That said, it's definitely possible they might decide to bring BttF to the 360 later.

And even if they don't, you can still cross your fingers for Jurassic Park. ;)
  • edited November 2010
    thanks for the welcome guys,
    yea it looks like the best thing to do is buy a motherboard/cpu combo and use all the other parts i have to build a good working computer..i like computer games but ijust would rather play on a console..im hoping this game will be as good as the ghostbusters game was(one of the main reasons i bought a new gaming system) lol
  • edited November 2010
    Does anyone know if this will be available on the OnLive service?
  • edited November 2010
    Just pre-ordered BTTF now, will enjoy in the mean time Puzzle Agent, nice one Telltale :D
  • edited November 2010
    I'm really getting sick of no telltale on the 360. It's got a much bigger fan base and install base on it so I don't know why they won't put their stuff there.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.