Back to the Future Platform Discussion

Comments

• edited January 2011
    One thing I find really weird about Microsoft is that the XBLA games have a 2GB limit. This is not a like previous requirements mind you where it used to be as low as 100MB because Microsoft wanted more manageable sizes. They said its a hardware issue, YET they have put up a ton of 360 games for download. WTF?! So they lose out on things like the Prince of Persia Sands of Time Trilogy HD installments and possibly the remade Oddworld games now.

I think Telltale has chosen PSN over the others because Nintendo and Microsoft have way more stringent quality and size requirements. That means that the crappiest downloadable games are apt to be PS3 exclusives, but also means we get stuff like Telltale games.

BTW, I think its Microsoft stopping Telltale from releasing their games as disc based. First two seasons on Sam and Max was released on disc for the Wii but Xbox Live Arcade for the 360. Maybe Microsoft think they aren't big enough or actual full games to be successful on disc no matter the license.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited January 2011
    How can we show TTG we want BttF on Xbox 360?

By POSTING IN THE RIGHT THREAD. Period!!
  • edited January 2011
    Grunty wrote: »

BTW, I think its Microsoft stopping Telltale from releasing their games as disc based. First two seasons on Sam and Max was released on disc for the Wii but Xbox Live Arcade for the 360. Maybe Microsoft think they aren't big enough or actual full games to be successful on disc no matter the license.

I dont buy that for a second and would have to hear confirmation from either Telltale or MS before I even partially believed it. First if its too big to be on Xbox Live then its not too small to be on disc. There isn't some "Twilight Zone" size wise where a developer cant get a game released simply because the size of the game makes it impossible to be released in either Live or disc based format. In other words with a 2 Gig limit on Live, MS isn't going to require disc based games to be at least 4 gigs in size because then any game that fell in between 2 and 4 would have no way whatsoever to release their games. It makes absolutely zero sense and I dont buy for a second MS is dumb enough to actually set it up this way. If its over 2 gigs then its too big for Live and hence would require a disc based release. There is just no way MS is THAT stringent, or that stupid for that matter, in regards to disc based games.

As for not letting them, again just not buying it. They will allow CRAP quality movie licensed games from tons of different movie franchises yet wont allow Telltale to develop a Back to the Future game on disc? Again sorry but not buying that for even a fraction of a second. Even if there were some annoying procedures one had to go through to get a game ok'ed for disc release, it would still be a HORRIBLE business decision to decide not to go through with them and have it released on the 360. Again it represents one of the largest games based markets in the US, or the world for that matter. If these are the kinds of decisions being made at Telltale then they are in DIRE need of a change in management.

Then you have the fact that Xbox Live has On-Demand Games. These are full sized games that are available for download on Xbox Live. There is no 2 gig size limit for these games. I dont know the details of how this works but I see these games every time I log into the game marketplace. They are full sized, big release games that you can download from Xbox Live. Most are far far bigger than 2 gigs.
  • edited January 2011
    I look forward to this Wednesday (as i'm in the uk) and every Wednesday after untill it's released for the Ps3. Reeaally hoping for this week though! :D
  • edited January 2011
    I look forward to this Wednesday (as i'm in the uk) and every Wednesday after untill it's released for the Ps3. Reeaally hoping for this week though! :D

It almost certainly won't be released on the store this week. It's not out on the US PSN yet, and I expect we'll get it about a month after the release there.
  • edited January 2011
    Nah, I think we'll get it the same week (maybe 1 week later) than the US. But who knows. I mean they've been pretty good with big releases lately like Dead Nation.

Be nice to know one way or another though. Maybe we'll at least get a date this week if the Telltale chaps are back to work :cool:
  • edited January 2011
    gotta remember though, the UK classes as an EU country - so when it releases in EU it has to have all the other EU languages with it, while the US version only needs English.
    Correct me if I'm wrong anyone? I think PSN works the same was as XBLA in this instance...
  • edited January 2011
    linorn wrote: »
    It almost certainly won't be released on the store this week. It's not out on the US PSN yet, and I expect we'll get it about a month after the release there.

I can say with certainty that Back to the Future will not release on PS3 this week.
  • edited January 2011
    Okay, I just have to say that while I would greatly prefer to play this on the 360 (call me stubborn), I've kinda gotten used to playing it on the PC. Since it's a laptop and I don't have a USB mouse, I've taken to using my tablet (yes, a $99 piece of hardware meant for creating digital artwork used as a control stick. Stubborn is as stubborn does) to control Marty.

It's not so bad and kind of intuitive after a while.

Not sure I like having to downgrade the in-game res to 800x600 in order to have it run with little to no lag, though. Hrngh. But at least the graphics look pretty decent, if I do say so m'self.

So yeah, while I'd love a console version, I can deal with PC for the time being. =]
  • edited January 2011
    I can say with certainty that Back to the Future will not release on PS3 this week.

Good, I don't have money on my PSN account right now. lol
  • edited January 2011

How certain are you for a possible release next week? lol ;)
  • edited January 2011
    It sounds like Telltale isn't saying it is coming to 360 when the game is finished, but they also aren't saying it isn't.

True to form for Telltale, they have a habit of erring on the side of saying too little than saying too much if the certainty of such information is not 100%. Indeed, I remember how annoyed the ToMI fans were getting about how TTG wouldn't say for quite a long time exactly what kind of copy protection the ToMI DVD was going to use.

So I would say that the reason why they haven't said whether it will be released on disc or download for 360 by the time the full game is made, is because they don't know entirely for certain themselves yet and don't want to have to issue a retraction later.
  • edited January 2011
    Honestly, I'd rather Telltale not say anything about a 360 version in general for the time being, because there's always the possibility that they could change their minds somewhere down the line or somesuch like that.

I'd prefer not to get my hopes up and eventually be pleasantly surprised about a 360 release than have my hopes insanely high and eventually disappointed that there won't be one, full stop.
  • edited January 2011
    Then you have the fact that Xbox Live has On-Demand Games. These are full sized games that are available for download on Xbox Live. There is no 2 gig size limit for these games. I dont know the details of how this works but I see these games every time I log into the game marketplace. They are full sized, big release games that you can download from Xbox Live. Most are far far bigger than 2 gigs.

Because they are handled completely differently, Games on Demand are full retail games available by Download, to appear on Games on Demand, a game has to have been released Retail in the shops.

Download only titles via Xbox Live Arcade are restricted to 2GB overall size.

What you said earlier about a physical release, again, is something TellTale can't exactly decide on until the Season is FINISHED, TellTale don't do physical releases (exc. PC via TTG store), they normally contract another team to publish them, such as Atari who did Sam & Max on Wii, and again, this was done AFTER the season finished.

So really, you (and other Xbox 360 fans) are playing the waiting game, until the season is finished, depending on the overall project size, will determine if TTG can do a Season Download on Xbox Live, or have to contract it out to a Publisher to do a physical release, IF they decide to do that. But for now, we're not even half way through the Season, expecting an answer now is rather pointless.
  • edited January 2011
    EDIT: I originally made this thread to speculate on what systems BttF will be released on. It's since been confirmed for PC, Mac, iPad, and PlayStation 3.

It will not be on the Xbox 360 or Wii, at least for now, presumably because Telltale's past experiences with WiiWare and XBLA haven't been as pleasant as theirs with PSN. However, bringing it to these systems later isn't out of the question.

Oh please DON'T release on 360. I have one (actually I am on my 6th) and I absolutely think Microsoft is one of the most unethical companies I have ever seen. ALL MS CARES ABOUT IS $$$$$ PERIOD.

Don't release on their console. Let them watch how successful the game is while they make NOTHING. Then they will be far more likely to be reasonable in the future. A company like that needs to be punished (or at least negatively reinforced) in order to act considerately.
  • edited January 2011

Can we expect it this month? Or is it more a "When it's done" approach?
  • edited January 2011
    Honestly, I feel kind of turned off by the whole debacle -- I purchased both seasons of Sam & Max on xBox Live... after I had already bought (played and beaten) the PC versions (Case files, Soundtracks, Books, and Extras), because ultimately, I don't have a PC worth mentioning. I'm out of the PC Gaming Market for good.
    So now to see them turn their back on the xBox faithful...
    Feels bad, man.
  • edited January 2011
    It's not a debacle, or if it is, it's created by the people who simply assumed it would have to be on XBox.
  • edited January 2011
    Well for me, it means that I can no longer offer my patronage to Telltale Games -- which is unfortunate, as I like their work (up until now) and believe in supporting smaller developers.
  • edited January 2011
    i love my pc, i looooooooove my pc. and i love telltale!

is there any other weird guy like me out there that owns every single game on telltale's website AND on steam??

i love telltale so much... and i dont have a xbox360
  • edited January 2011
    I have a lot of it on Steam, but not everything. I own everything that's available on TTG's store, and on Xbox 360 though :P
  • edited January 2011
    Ash735 wrote: »
    Because they are handled completely differently, Games on Demand are full retail games available by Download, to appear on Games on Demand, a game has to have been released Retail in the shops.

I am well aware of that. My point was that by releasing a disc based version they open up the door in regards to being able to release a larger than 2 gig version on Xbox marketplace. So releasing the game on disc solves the "game is too big for Live Arcade" problem as again they could get their game up on marketplace, regardless of the size, if they released a disc based version. So its simple, if its under 2 gigs you release it on Xbox Live Arcade. If its over 2 Gigs you release a disc based version and also a marketplace version for the on-demand section. Either way your getting your game on Xbox Live Marketplace, something every major developer should want these days including Telltale Games. Of course it would be different if there was some sort of exclusivity contract but there isn't so it makes absolutely zero sense why they wouldn't be doing everything in their power to get this up on Live.
    Download only titles via Xbox Live Arcade are restricted to 2GB overall size.

I am well aware of this as well. This was the whole point I was talking about. People have been stating that maybe one of the reasons Telltale isnt doing a 360 version is because of the 2 gig size limit on Xbox Live Arcade. That makes absolutely zero sense to me as you can simply release it on disc and marketplace on-demand if its over 2 gigs. It may be a bit more complicated than just releasing it on Live Arcade but so what. Xbox Live Marketplace represents one of the largest markets in all of gaming. You dont just say "screw the 360, its too complicated" A smart business would do whatever it had to do to get their games on Xbox Live Marketplace especially with a title like BTTF. You dont design a game so its really easy, in hopes of reaching a larger audience and thus make more money, yet at the same time snub your nose at one of the largest markets that could sell your game. It makes absolutely zero sense.
    What you said earlier about a physical release, again, is something TellTale can't exactly decide on until the Season is FINISHED, TellTale don't do physical releases (exc. PC via TTG store), they normally contract another team to publish them, such as Atari who did Sam & Max on Wii, and again, this was done AFTER the season finished.

Why? That makes absolutely zero sense to me. Why would you have to wait until the season is over in regards to deciding whether or not to do a 360 version. In fact I think it would be the exact opposite and that you would want to decide initially what systems you were planning on supporting and which systems you weren't planning on supporting. So what if Telltale doesn't do physical releases. Just because such contracting is done at the end of games seasons, that doesn't mean they wouldn't know or couldn't announce support for a particular system. If anything this would just mean that they couldnt give a firm date on when it was going to be released. They could still announce it was in fact coming. These are nothing but excuses.
    So really, you (and other Xbox 360 fans) are playing the waiting game, until the season is finished

Tell me something I dont know. This is why I said this was bad business all the way around in my book. If they decided not to support the 360 then that is bad business as again it represents one of the largest gaming markets in the world. If they just aren't announcing it....well again its bad business as that is just going to piss 360 players off. If they just dont know....well again that is also bad business as these things should be decided from the get go.
    we're not even half way through the Season, expecting an answer now is rather pointless.

Its not pointless at all. If it was pointless then you wouldn't see the VAST majority of developers announcing their games LONG before they are ready for release. Some do it literally years before release. Its pointless not to announce it, if its coming, and its pointless not just admitting it isn't coming if in fact they have decided not to make a 360 version. IMO, not making an announcement, one way or the other, is whats really pointless. It just doesn't make any sense.
  • edited January 2011
    Apparently, the only way Telltale can do a 360 release is after the season. So, if they announce now that all 5 episodes will be released for 360 after the season, while PC/Mac, PSN, and iPad players get the episodes in real time... wouldn't that piss off the 360ers just as much, if not more, than not announcing the game for 360 right away? There would be way too many people who would misinterpret that as discriminatory treatment against the 360.

There's really nothing Telltale could have done here to make the 360 people happy, short of developing and producing all 5 episodes in advance and sending them to Microsoft so they could be released on the same schedule as the other platforms. Essentially, making the game around Microsoft's schedule. Unfortunately, Telltale doesn't work that way. They produce one episode at a time, a month at a time.
  • edited January 2011
    markeres wrote: »
    Apparently, the only way Telltale can do a 360 release is after the season. So, if they announce now that all 5 episodes will be released for 360 after the season, while PC/Mac, PSN, and iPad players get the episodes in real time... wouldn't that piss off the 360ers just as much, if not more, than not announcing the game for 360 right away?

Absolutely not as its better to know its coming that not knowing at all. Its the not announcing it at all that is the problem. In fact the only thing I dont understand at this point is why Telltale hasn't made an announcement. I understand, for the most part, how Xbox Live Marketplace works and I understand that the norm for this business is actually having developers announce what systems will be supported by a particular game. Telltale not announcing one way or the other.....completely mind boggling. This is why 360 owners are getting pissed off. Because it simply doesn't make sense why they wouldn't announce it if they were planning on bringing it to the 360 later down the line and it doesn't make sense why they wouldn't state it isn't coming if they weren't planning on releasing it.
    There's really nothing Telltale could have done here to make the 360 people happy

Yes there is, announce that its coming when the season is finished and I guarantee 99% of the people who are pissed off right now will be perfectly content knowing its coming. Console gamers are used to timed exclusives and this would really be no different than that. Announce its coming and then explain the reason it can only be released when its finished is due to MS's policies. Again 99% of the pissed off people will no longer be pissed off.
  • edited January 2011
    Why as a business decision would you exclude such a large consumer market of Xbox 360 users? Must be some bad blood with TellTale and MS. Cause if you release a PC version the Xbox version is relatively easy to compile. I was very much looking forward to playing this but alas...I will hold hope that they release sometime in the future for XBox as my PC is way to dated.
  • edited January 2011
    Bad blood is close enough. One of their games, I can't remember which one right now, was released far later on 360 than other platforms due to Microsoft's approval process. And the reason for it not being on the Wii is due to the small file size required by WiiWare.
  • edited January 2011
    I'm begining to think (for no reason really) that Ps3 will probably get this at the end of Jan start of Feb. Round about the same time episode 2 comes out for PC. Although i'll still be waiting each week with baited breath :p
  • edited January 2011
    I wonder if the PS3 version will included any fixes? Same case for the Free Episode, with both of them coming out later might have gave them some time to get in a good few bug fixes here and there?
  • edited January 2011
    I certainly hope it isn't bad blood as that would be the dumbest reason of them all. A smart company doesn't boycott a system that currently represents one of the largest video game markets in both the US and Europe. You bite your lip and do whats best for your game and your company and that means supporting the 360. What really pisses me off about this, if it is true, is the fact that they made BTTF super simple in hopes that they could reach a larger market yet at the same time they decide to boycott the 360? Again it just doesn't make a single lick of sense. The fact that BTTF is really their biggest game yet in regards to the popularity of the IP......well it just makes such decisions a million times worse. Your talking about millions of dollars of lost sales.

I understand that its all speculation at this point since Telltale hasn't really verified anything but at the end of the day it really doesn't make much of a difference in my book because either way you look at it there have been some very poor decisions made, both in regards to designing the game and the choices regarding which systems will be supported. As I stated previously, pretty much everything surrounding BTTF has put a serious tarnish on my image of this company. One can only hope that they are flukes and not a sign of things to come.
  • edited January 2011
    I certainly hope it isn't bad blood as that would be the dumbest reason of them all. A smart company doesn't boycott a system that currently represents one of the largest video game markets in both the US and Europe. You bite your lip and do whats best for your game and your company and that means supporting the 360. What really pisses me off about this, if it is true, is the fact that they made BTTF super simple in hopes that they could reach a larger market yet at the same time they decide to boycott the 360? Again it just doesn't make a single lick of sense. The fact that BTTF is really their biggest game yet in regards to the popularity of the IP......well it just makes such decisions a million times worse. Your talking about millions of dollars of lost sales.

I understand that its all speculation at this point since Telltale hasn't really verified anything but at the end of the day it really doesn't make much of a difference in my book because either way you look at it there have been some very poor decisions made, both in regards to designing the game and the choices regarding which systems will be supported. As I stated previously, pretty much everything surrounding BTTF has put a serious tarnish on my image of this company. One can only hope that they are flukes and not a sign of things to come.

Not to burst your bubble, but it's not like this is the first time a video game company has decided to exclude a gaming platform. Valve did the exact same thing repeatedly with the PS3 by refusing to release their games for that system or, in the case of The Orange Box, letting a third-party make an infinitely inferior port. It's just some companies don't find that releasing games for a certain platforms is worth it sometimes, usually do to some bad experience or some issue with that system.

Also, this isn't even the first time Telltale has refused to release a game for the Xbox 360, given that The Devil's Playhouse supported the exact same platform, PC/Mac, PS3, iPad. The way I see it, sometime after releasing the first two seasons of Sam & Max for the 360, they decided something about the system just didn't work for them.
  • edited January 2011
    thats it. really?

failed.

xbox 360!

I really want to play this game. :(

boo..
  • edited January 2011
    Maybe YOU failed by owning no PS3?

Or maybe Miscrosoft failed by not making games to be sold through XBLA with less hassle?

Or maybe you failed again, by claiming someone has "failed"?

Obviously I've failed, by replying to this...
  • edited January 2011
    Nah. The OP clearly failed for making a Telltale account JUST so that he can complain about it not being on the 360. THAT is clearly FAIL.

EDIT: Since this thread got merged into the platform discussion thread, I would just like to say I'm not calling the OP of that thread a failure.
  • edited January 2011
    Any update of an update for the PSN release yet? I'm desperate to chuck my money at TTG for it lol. Also wanna get the monkey island games but waiting to see price for BTTF 1st. :)
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited January 2011
    EDIT: Since this thread got merged into the platform discussion thread, I would just like to say I'm not calling the OP of that thread a failure.

Every Xbox complainer will be merged into the platform discussion thread. :D
  • edited January 2011
    All I may care about is that it's on a PS3...
  • edited January 2011
    Judging by the Ps3 update today for the US store (and assuming tomorrows EU is as bad) I bet BTTF would have sold well. Pretty much no competition at all lol. BTW will it go to PS plus subscribers 1st? Gotta ask as there's really been no news what so ever on the Ps3 side of things. But on the bright side, at least it's actually coming to the Ps3 :guybrush:
  • edited January 2011
    Still no news as far as any of us know.
  • edited January 2011
    Nothing again? Yeesh.
  • edited January 2011
    Doc " Marty! Get in! "

Marty " What is it Doc? I'm playing BTTF on my PS3..."

Doc " Uggghhhh!!! That's just it Marty! It was never suppose to be on PS3! A time paradox occurred and we have to fix it! Now get in! "

Marty " So Doc I still don't get it..."

Doc " Marty! The XBOX 360 was SUPPOSE to be original release candidate and due to Biff, MS and other factors I won't get into right now...we need set it right! NOW GET IN!!!"

Marty " Jeez! Relax Doc, I'm getting in....wait can I save this BTTF game first..."

WHOOOSH!!!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.