Plotholes/ continuity errors/ anachronisms in the game (spoilers!)

Comments

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Carlos85G wrote: »
    Continuity error (Or as I see it...)

Edna wrote for the newspaper, "Hill Valley Telegraph", the name of the newspaper can be seen in the movies -besides the USA Today local version in 2015- and on Edna's apartment when Marty checks for Doc's "whenabouts", but in 1931, Edna says she works for the "Hill Valley Herald"; Isn't this a mistake?...
    Newspapers often changed names in the early 20th century, as the companies were sold to other companies. Our local newspaper changed to it's current name in 1907 due to a merger between two companies.

So, the Hill Valley Harold and Hill Valley Telegraph are most likely the same paper, just under a different name as the parent company changed. :)
  • edited December 2010
    Yes, but the newspaper has been named like that since 1885 or before, as BTTF3 shows Telegraph papers, and the name has to change for the next day (June 14th, 1931), as the newspaper that has the news of "Carl Sagan" killed is the "Hill Valley Telegraph", not "Hill Valley Herald".

And I do really hope that they explain why there are no gargoyles on the ClockTower (or why the ledge is too large, by the way :p)
  • edited December 2010
    ****SPOILERS****

So don't flame me if I'm wrong, but...

Edna's apartment is across the road from the video store/speakeasy. However, when Marty goes to Arthur's apartment in 1931, which is the same apartment as Edna's, it isn't across the road from the speakeasy/video store, but well away from Courthouse Square.

Also, if Edna's aparment was across the road from the video store/speakeasy, that puts it on the park in the centre of Courhouse Square, and there aren't any buildings there in 1986...

Am I missing something?
  • edited December 2010
    It wasn't across the road, her binoculars are powerful.
  • edited December 2010
    Ahh, so it was right across the other side of the square... However, that doesn't explain how we can see very close buildings from her window without the binoculars.
  • edited December 2010
    alorion wrote: »
    However, that doesn't explain how we can see very close buildings from her window without the binoculars.
    New buildings built since 1931?
  • edited December 2010
    Edna's binoculars are powerful enough that she can spy on most of the town from that second story window. If her apartment were located, say, on a street behind and to a side of the courthouse, she'd be able to see past some buildings and across the square to the video store.

Also...it's a videogame ;)
  • edited December 2010
    Am I overlooking some details, or is it quite strange
    for a 1931 paddywagon to have an antenna? :confused:

What use could it possibly have? There were no radio in cars back then, AFAIK...

I know this is a game about time travels, but this seems illogical to me, unless it is explained in one of the next episodes...
  • edited December 2010
    I would think that ESPECIALLY a police car would have some sort of radio onboard... but well, okay, maybe not in '31
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Guinea wrote: »

Wrong kind of radio, sorry. ;)
  • edited December 2010
    Wrong kind of radio, sorry. ;)

I guess I should have read the article before posting ;_;
    edited December 2010
    gufino2 wrote: »
    Am I overlooking some details, or is it quite strange for a 1931 paddywagon to have an antenna? :confused:

What use could it possibly have? There were no radio in cars back then, AFAIK...
    Motorola made a car radio system in 1930 that was intended for general public use, but police departments and city governments across the United States ordered the radios for public safety use. The radios were adapted for police use, and the first Motorola police radios were sold beginning in November 1930.
    Yes, but the newspaper has been named like that since 1885 or before, as BTTF3 shows Telegraph papers, and the name has to change for the next day (June 14th, 1931), as the newspaper that has the news of "Carl Sagan" killed is the "Hill Valley Telegraph", not "Hill Valley Herald".
    Nice catch, and good memory retention. :) I didn't notice the Hill Valley Telegraph name on the 1931 newspaper. :D

It's also possible she writes for more than one paper. She has trophies for writing cat articles in her room in 1986. She also could have written for the Hill Valley Herald but sold the article freelance to the presumably larger Hill Valley Telegraph because of how huge of an impact it had on the town of Hill Valley.
  • edited December 2010
    Jennifer wrote: »
    It's also possible she writes for more than one paper. She has trophies for writing cat articles in her room in 1986. She also could have written for the Hill Valley Herald but sold the article freelance to the presumably larger Hill Valley Telegraph because of how huge of an impact it had on the town of Hill Valley.

That's what I thought.

Again, my only real continuity problem is with Biff not noticing the DeLorean. And don't say he'd dismiss it as a "pimped out DeLorean" when he saw it take off and fly away.

As for Doc being moved? That's easy. When Marty was reading the paper out loud, it said that the gangsters removed Doc from his cell at night and apparently dragged him to the courthouse steps and pumped him full of lead. What probably happened was Kid wanted it to seem less like the mob was involved, especially since Arthur got the subpoena.
  • edited December 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    Also when Marty goes downtown is it responsible to leave the DeLorean unattended like that?

He's done it before, but it back fired in the second movie, when Old Biff used it to give his younger self the Sport's Almanac. So we might see a simillar thing happen in the upcoming episodes.
  • edited December 2010
    Again, my only real continuity problem is with Biff not noticing the DeLorean. And don't say he'd dismiss it as a "pimped out DeLorean" when he saw it take off and fly away.
    When the DeLorean first appeared, Biff was still unconscious. When Marty returns to the DeLorean to go to 1931, Biff was either still in town after getting the video, or back at his house. If Biff did notice the DeLorean, it would have been off-camera and while Marty was looking for/talking to Edna.
  • edited December 2010
    markeres wrote: »
    When the DeLorean first appeared, Biff was still unconscious. When Marty returns to the DeLorean to go to 1931, Biff was either still in town after getting the video, or back at his house. If Biff did notice the DeLorean, it would have been off-camera and while Marty was looking for/talking to Edna.

Exactly. He would've left Doc's lab to go to the video store and would've seen the DeLorean.
  • edited December 2010
    Here are some I've been pondering.

(1) The ARS in the DeLorean seems to be capable of things that the DeLorean itself has never been capable of. I presume this is all covered under the added "bells and whistles" Doc mentions, but it's fun to postulate about anyways.

In any case, the ARS must be capable of sending the DeLorean through time without needing the car to accelerate to 88 MPH, or else the car was capable of driving itself. In the latter case, it would be a danger to everything around it (unless it has some kind of intelligent sensor to avoid collisions) and there would be a risk of it being seen by someone, potentially altering the future.

Also, it seems as though the DeLorean can now travel to specific places as well as specific points in time. Of course, the DeLorean was able to do so in the cartoon, but that is obviously considered non-canon, so this is another new development. The alternative is that Doc left the DeLorean parked in his future driveway, which might be possible since Lyon Estates was just being built in 1955. In 1931 it would have been even less developed (though it might've been farmland.)

(2) Since we don't know the exact point in time when the ARS kicked in, bringing the DeLorean and Einstein to 1986, there is a possibility that there are two DeLoreans and two Einsteins in 1931 when Marty arrives. There is also a possibility that there isn't, of course. But if Doc only got tossed in prison the night before Marty arrived (not 100% sure about that, going from memory here) then he had the ARS set to kick in less than 24 hours after his last exit from the DeLorean.

(3) Given that Einstein was in the DeLorean, that means that Doc left him there while he went to go watch what happened at the speakeasy. Since Doc admittedly forgot about the ARS, that means upon capture, he fully planned on leaving poor Einstein locked in the DeLorean until after he was let out of jail. That's approximately 36 hours locked in a car, in California, with no food or drink. Granted, Doc has few options ("Gee officer, there is a problem here. You see, I'm a time traveler and my dog is locked in my futuristic vehicle. Could you go let him out and be careful not to destroy the space-time continuum while you're at it?") Still, poor Einie!

(4) In order to get Arthur McFly to come out of the safehouse, Marty uses his tape-recording of Kid Tannen's voice in plain view of young Emmett. The technology for portable cassette tape recorders was first realized in the 1950s, although they were not successfully marketed until the early 1960s. Emmett should have been very, very interested in Marty's magic talking box. After all, remember how fascinated 1955 Doc was by Marty's camcorder?
  • edited December 2010
    How about in BTTF 1 when Doc flys away in the Dolearn (carelessly) and Biff sees the flying Delorean. So when he sees him in BTTF2 he knows whats up and steals the time machine. According to Doc Griff is up to somthing in the future, so a lot is on the table, and I won't be surprised if Doc has to sacrifice himself by the end of the game.
  • edited December 2010
    With what? Magic? Best not to think about it :)

What are you talking about? The car keys have to be in the Delorean. Otherwise Marty wouldn't be able to drive the car at all.
    edited December 2010
    That's what I thought.

We don't see if he noticed it or not, so I wouldn't call that a continuity error, especially when we don't know the rest of the story yet. :) He was passed out when the DeLorean first arrived at Doc's.

He most certainly saw it when he left Doc's, but George was there watching Biff so I'm sure he kept him from messing with the car.

We do see Biff exiting the video store with a tape in his hand, so that's got to be foreshadowing something.
  • edited December 2010
    Biff was renting a dirty movie. Edna points that out.
  • edited December 2010
    sVybDy wrote: »
    The alternative is that Doc left the DeLorean parked in his future driveway, which might be possible since Lyon Estates was just being built in 1955. In 1931 it would have been even less developed (though it might've been farmland.)
    Minor point, but Doc doesn't live in Lyon Estates in 1986, he lives on the other side of town, in his lab/garage. It's never really made clear if Doc's garage is in the same place in 1985 as it is in 1955 (i.e. if "Riverside Drive" is the same thing as "John F. Kennedy Drive"), but if it is, it's unlikely Doc would leave the DeLorean in his own driveway in 1931. If he hid it behind the "Car of the Future" sign like Marty does, that means the DeLorean left before June 13.
    But if Doc only got tossed in prison the night before Marty arrived (not 100% sure about that, going from memory here) then he had the ARS set to kick in less than 24 hours after his last exit from the DeLorean.
    Doc says he's been in prison for a couple weeks.
    (3) Given that Einstein was in the DeLorean, that means that Doc left him there while he went to go watch what happened at the speakeasy. Since Doc admittedly forgot about the ARS, that means upon capture, he fully planned on leaving poor Einstein locked in the DeLorean until after he was let out of jail. That's approximately 36 hours locked in a car, in California, with no food or drink. Granted, Doc has few options ("Gee officer, there is a problem here. You see, I'm a time traveler and my dog is locked in my futuristic vehicle. Could you go let him out and be careful not to destroy the space-time continuum while you're at it?") Still, poor Einie!
    I think it's most likely that one of the "bells and whistles" was an automatic door opener/closer for Einstein. Once Doc was in jail, Einstein had to get in and out of the DeLorean somehow to get Edna's shoe and get back to 1986.
    (4) In order to get Arthur McFly to come out of the safehouse, Marty uses his tape-recording of Kid Tannen's voice in plain view of young Emmett. The technology for portable cassette tape recorders was first realized in the 1950s, although they were not successfully marketed until the early 1960s. Emmett should have been very, very interested in Marty's magic talking box. After all, remember how fascinated 1955 Doc was by Marty's camcorder?
    There is a short dialogue between Emmett and Marty about the tape recorder. I think you can trigger it by using the tape recorder on Emmett after the scene where you have to record his muttering. Young Doc asks what it is, and Marty says it's something they're looking at at the patent office.
  • edited December 2010
    markeres wrote: »
    It's never really made clear if Doc's garage is in the same place in 1985 as it is in 1955 (i.e. if "Riverside Drive" is the same thing as "John F. Kennedy Drive").

I had a debate about that point with other BTTF:HV mod members about Doc's garage being on the same street as his former house, trying to figure out if the garage was moved to other place (Doc's house has number "1640" in 1955 and "1646" in 1985); but then, I found the answer in the least expected place: Doc's keychain. If you freeze the frame when Marty turns the ignition key in the DeLorean, you'll clearly see that says "1646 JFK Drive". So, the garage is just some spaces away from the Brown Mansion's original place on the same street.
  • edited December 2010
    Here are some I've been pondering.

(1) The ARS in the DeLorean seems to be capable of things that the DeLorean itself has never been capable of. I presume this is all covered under the added "bells and whistles" Doc mentions, but it's fun to postulate about anyways.

In any case, the ARS must be capable of sending the DeLorean through time without needing the car to accelerate to 88 MPH, or else the car was capable of driving itself. In the latter case, it would be a danger to everything around it (unless it has some kind of intelligent sensor to avoid collisions) and there would be a risk of it being seen by someone, potentially altering the future.

Also, it seems as though the DeLorean can now travel to specific places as well as specific points in time. Of course, the DeLorean was able to do so in the cartoon, but that is obviously considered non-canon, so this is another new development. The alternative is that Doc left the DeLorean parked in his future driveway, which might be possible since Lyon Estates was just being built in 1955. In 1931 it would have been even less developed (though it might've been farmland.)...

As we already have tests with self driving cars on public roads today, I would assume that by 2025 the technology was perfected, so it is very likely doc integrated that.
    (Well, probably self flying)

And for getting to a specific location, what would stop the DeLorean from just flying where it needs to go and then land directly after the time jump?
    (Note that this is a DeLorean fixed in the 2020's, so it is most likely a lot more advanced than it was during BTTF II )
  • edited December 2010
    If you freeze the frame when Marty turns the ignition key in the DeLorean, you'll clearly see that says "1646 JFK Drive". So, the garage is just some spaces away from the Brown Mansion's original place on the same street.
    Man, the production crew on those movies thought of absolutely everything, didn't they? As Doc would say: "Unbelievable".
  • edited December 2010
    Indeed.

Watching it again, I couldn't read the number, but "JFK Dr" is definitively written there.

You can see it here if you skip to 1:06 (Terribly sorry for the video, but it's the only one I could find with enough resolution to distinguish and Outatime.it isn't working): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngYwlwxMWwM
  • edited December 2010
    We have to remember while playing the first episode that there IS somewhere another Marty running around setting the time-line right..... all while trying hard not to be seen by us in the first ep....
  • edited December 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    We have to remember while playing the first episode that there IS somewhere another Marty running around setting the time-line right..... all while trying hard not to be seen by us in the first ep....
    Nope. Because Marty going back to 1931 again hasn't happened yet. It's like when Marty goes back to 1955 again in BTTFII. That second Marty wasn't there in the first BTTF.
  • edited December 2010
    So
    Arthur getting the subpoena almost immediately affected Marty, however why doesn't Doc know about his teenage interactions with Marty?
  • edited December 2010
    Baliame wrote: »
    So
    Arthur getting the subpoena almost immediately affected Marty, however why doesn't Doc know about his teenage interactions with Marty?

The same reason that he didn't know about the DeLorean getting struck by lightning and getting sent back to 1885 even though Marty told 1955 Doc. The story dictated it.
  • edited December 2010
    i just did some searching on the threads for a topic about this.... came up with nothing.... but does anyone have a theory about the beginning of the game?
    where the Delorean doesn't reappear?

how do you figure that will play out?
  • edited December 2010
    The same reason that he didn't know about the DeLorean getting struck by lightning and getting sent back to 1885 even though Marty told 1955 Doc. The story dictated it.

More like, its the same reason that Marty didn't know that when he returned to 86 the future would be controlled by Biff making money through the almanac. That's the way time travel works in the series, you aren't cognizant of the changes you're making to your own timeline.

His grandfather getting the subpoena didn't affect Marty or Doc Brown's knowledge of the future, it just affected his existence.
  • edited December 2010
    i just did some searching on the threads for a topic about this.... came up with nothing.... but does anyone have a theory about the beginning of the game?
    where the Delorean doesn't reappear?

how do you figure that will play out?
    It's a dream. Just a dream. Maybe some foreshadowing of things that will play out in later episodes, but nothing in the dream actually happened (from the point the DeLorean fails to reappear on).
  • edited December 2010
    It's kind of a dead subject, I don't think that Marty's actions in this episode have led to Young Emmett being disillusioned with science. If that were the case, wouldn't that lead to the DeLorean disappearing instead of Marty? Because a disillusioned Doc, who never becomes a scientist, would not create a time machine in the first place.
  • edited December 2010
    speederice wrote: »
    Because a disillusioned Doc, who never becomes a scientist, would not create a time machine in the first place.
    Something further will happen in episode 2 that will lead to this happening, if you read the description for episode 3. Or else, you'll have to find out in episode 3 why those changes have taken place.
  • edited December 2010
    The main inconsistency I found was this:

When Marty finds Doc in jail, he says something like "why don't I just travel back to before they arrested you, and stop you being near the speakeasy". Doc replies, "that would mean the events that led to you finding out about me being here would never happen, catastrophic end of world etc."

BUT surely saving Doc from jail *by any means* would produce the same result, as the paper would still never have run the story about Carl Sagan getting killed, so Marty would never be able to find out where in time Doc was?
  • edited December 2010
    serializer wrote: »

When Marty finds Doc in jail, he says something like "why don't I just travel back to before they arrested you, and stop you being near the speakeasy". Doc replies, "that would mean the events that led to you finding out about me being here would never happen, catastrophic end of world etc."

BUT surely saving Doc from jail *by any means* would produce the same result, as the paper would still never have run the story about Carl Sagan getting killed, so Marty would never be able to find out where in time Doc was?

Well, my reasoning on this one is that he learns it from Doc that he was framed of burning the speakeasy. So if he goes back some days and save him then he wouldn't be able to learn it 5 days later. At least this simple logic made me turn from "Wth that does not make sense" to "err... oh welll".

Saving him would cause paradox? Yes. But that's what they always do. I guess just following newspapers does not do a damn thing but when actually someone talks to you, OH BOY you're screwed.
    edited December 2010
    serializer wrote: »

The paper would have changed to "Carl Sagan escaped from prison", so Marty would still have known to have gone the day before to find Doc. I'd imagine Marty would think it odd that Doc escaped but wasn't in the DeLorean, so he went back to find out why. If he went back any time before one day in either time line, the paper wouldn't print the article on that day and he'd create a paradox, so he'd always go back to the same day.
  • edited December 2010
    Jennifer wrote: »
    The paper would have changed to "Carl Sagan escaped from prison", so Marty would still have known to have gone the day before to find Doc. I'd imagine Marty would think it odd that Doc escaped but wasn't in the DeLorean, so he went back to find out why. If he went back any time before one day in either time line, the paper wouldn't print the article on that day and he'd create a paradox, so he'd always go back to the same day.

Not exactly ... Marty wouldn't have known Doc was in trouble, so he'd never have looked at the papers, therefore never have seen the Carl Sagan story to know he had to go back in time.

However you save someone, it creates the paradox. To say that one way of saving him fixes it and one doesn't is crazy when you think about the time stream consequences!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.