Plotholes/ continuity errors/ anachronisms in the game (spoilers!)

Comments

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited December 2010
    serializer wrote: »
    Not exactly ... Marty wouldn't have known Doc was in trouble, so he'd never have looked at the papers, therefore never have seen the Carl Sagan story to know he had to go back in time.

However you save someone, it creates the paradox. To say that one way of saving him fixes it and one doesn't is crazy when you think about the time stream consequences!
    The time machine went to 1986 because Doc was in prison for too long (he'd been in prison for a week by the time Marty got there). Marty knew Doc was in trouble because the time machine was empty. The time machine would still be empty in the changed time line since Marty freed Doc after the time machine already went to the future, so he'd still check the papers.
  • edited December 2010
    Jennifer wrote: »
    The time machine went to 1986 because Doc was in prison for too long (he'd been in prison for a week by the time Marty got there). Marty knew Doc was in trouble because the time machine was empty. The time machine would still be empty in the changed time line since Marty freed Doc after the time machine already went to the future, so he'd still check the papers.

So then, to save Doc all we had to do was go back to before he was arrested, stop him getting arrested, then manually send Doc's Delorean forward to 1986 for Marty to find it and maintain the timeline. Oh, and fix whatever was wrong with the date display so he'd never have to deal with that irritating Strickland woman.

Paradox resolved!
    edited December 2010
    So then, to save Doc all we had to do was go back to before he was arrested, stop him getting arrested, then manually send Doc's Delorean forward to 1986 for Marty to find it and maintain the timeline. Oh, and fix whatever was wrong with the date display so he'd never have to deal with that irritating Strickland woman.

Paradox resolved!
    As you said, you'd have to fix the time display because otherwise Marty wouldn't know where to go. And considering the time display has been acting up since Back to the Future Part II and is still acting up now even after the Doc had time to repair it, it doesn't seem like it's reliable enough to be counted on to prevent a paradox.
  • edited December 2010
    Jennifer wrote: »
    As you said, you'd have to fix the time display because otherwise Marty wouldn't know where to go. And considering the time display has been acting up since Back to the Future Part II and is still acting up now even after the Doc had time to repair it, it doesn't seem like it's reliable enough to be counted on to prevent a paradox.

You could just record a bit extra on the dictaphone to tell Marty when to travel back to. Or leave a sticky note. Point is, there are a whole bunch of ways to resolve the paradox that don't involve first messing with Emmet's own past and then busting a great big hole in the wall of the town jail (both of which actions are *surely* gonna create huge ripples...)

Obviously somewhere along the line we have to ignore one of these possibilities so the game can actually have a story, but my feeling is that the setup could have been just a teensy bit better.
  • edited December 2010
    No offence to you guys, but you're arguing over an (considering the way time travel in BttF works) an unresolvable paradox. BttF original movies are filled with these paradoxes. Like the famous BttF3 tombstone paradox (if the tombstone is destroyed and nobody dies, Marty doesn't have a reason to return to 1885), or Marty being in 1955 even though in the new 1985A Doc would never invent a Time Machine and Marty would never go to 1955, or the fact that with Marty's future changed at the end of BttF3 movies, effectively the whole two sequels would have never occurred (with Marty's future being different, there would be no reason for Doc to come back to Marty to save his kids in the first place).

Those are all unresolvable paradoxes, but there are some things in BttF time travel to make things more consistent. I'm not talking about the ripple effect only, if we take 1955: there will be forever two Martys, two Docs and two Biffs in 1955, even though, even though there is no reason for second Marty/Docs to be there anymore and the Old Biff in 1955 is the only thing that is left of the Old Biff from the timeline with original 2015. So things in the past are implanted as they are, unless you change everything even from a further point in the past (like what we'll do in 1931, creating the 1986A, will effectively cancel out most, if not all, things that happened inbetween 1931 and 1986, and, well, further away in the future).

It's a time travel story. Time travel means paradox. They're kind of symbiotic things - one can't exist without another (Unless it's a one-way time travel to the future, I guess). And whatever idea you think that 'eliminates' a paradox - it's not that way. There still is at least one detail which still makes it retain the 'paradox' factor.

So let's embrace these paradoxes and enjoy them for the fact that they're not illogical and, at the least, consistent with each other.

PS. Not to mention that Doc's theories about the destruction of the universe already have been proven wrong on several occasions, but Doc still likes to be on the safer side.
  • edited December 2010
    Farlander wrote: »
    So let's embrace these paradoxes and enjoy them for the fact that they're not illogical and, at the least, consistent with each other.

No! Telltale must do their research properly. Including building a working time machine themselves, and travelling around history tinkering with things to find out exactly what causes a paradox and what doesn't. Only then are they qualified to make a time travel game!
  • edited December 2010
    No! Telltale must do their research properly. Including building a working time machine themselves, and travelling around history tinkering with things to find out exactly what causes a paradox and what doesn't. Only then are they qualified to make a time travel game!

How do you know that they didn't? :p I mean, after all, being a part of time travellers' surroundings, how would you notice the difference? :p
    edited December 2010
    No offence to you guys, but you're arguing over an (considering the way time travel in BttF works) an unresolvable paradox. BttF original movies are filled with these paradoxes. Like the famous BttF3 tombstone paradox (if the tombstone is destroyed and nobody dies, Marty doesn't have a reason to return to 1885), or Marty being in 1955 even though in the new 1985A Doc would never invent a Time Machine and Marty would never go to 1955, or the fact that with Marty's future changed at the end of BttF3 movies, effectively the whole two sequels would have never occurred (with Marty's future being different, there would be no reason for Doc to come back to Marty to save his kids in the first place).
    It shows that Telltale is putting a lot more thought into the story than the writers of the sequels did, since Doc never worried about their actions in fixing the problems making paradoxes in the films. :)
  • edited December 2010
    It shows that Telltale is putting a lot more thought into the story than the writers of the sequels did, since Doc never worried about their actions in fixing the problems making paradoxes in the films.

Not true. Doc DID worry to NOT get the almanac BEFORE Old Biff gives it to his younger self and returns to the future (however that works), Doc DID worry to send Marty the day AFTER his 1885 self wrote the letter (you know, things that would possibly cause paradoxes), and that's from the top of my head, Doc DID worry about paradoxes in the movies. And tried to avoid them. And basically the way he tried to avoid them in TT games (well, game, so far) is no different than the way he tried to avoid them in the movies - by not doing the stuff that would cause the biggest paradox. The thing is. It's time travel. Time travel means paradoxes. Especially time travel which allows to travel in any point past and future and change the events of the future from the particular point of time you're in. Paradoxes are there in the movies. They are here in the games. There's nothing we can do about it, because it's how time travel works.
    Arthur wrote:
    See? Paradox.
    edited December 2010
    Not true. Doc DID worry to NOT get the almanac BEFORE Old Biff gives it to his younger self and returns to the future (however that works), Doc DID worry to send Marty the day AFTER his 1885 self wrote the letter (you know, things that would possibly cause paradoxes), and that's from the top of my head, Doc DID worry about paradoxes in the movies.
    Your post about Doc always being careful about paradoxes made me think of something. Excuse me while I put my nerd cap on again, because I love thinking of ways that would make things that seem like plotholes in stuff make sense. :)

In Back to the Future III, as you said, nobody dies so the tombstone in the picture disappears. So, it would seem that Marty took a picture of just grass in 1955, which wouldn't make sense. And, without the tombstone he wouldn't go from 1955 to 1885 at all. But I was thinking that since the Doc would be worried about creating a paradox, it would make sense that he put the tombstone saying that he died up at the end of the events of the third movie. It would explain why the photograph of the grass was still there at the end of the movie rather than the whole picture disappearing (since time was still being written). And it would fit with how the town viewed Emmett in 1885. It would be strange for a man to put up a tombstone saying they had died when they hadn't, but the Doc was so eccentric, they'd probably just shrug it off.

As for Marty being in 1955 even though 1985A Doc hadn't invented a time machine, this was explained in the movie by the Doc. Since they came from an alternate timeline, they were not effected by the changes in time. It was further explained in the bonus features of the DVD. Changes in time create a ripple effect. Doc and Marty can exist by rules of the original timeline for as long as it takes for the ripple to hit them. So, by the ripple in time rule, there would now be only one Doc and one Marty in 1955, and no old Biff in 1955, since they came from the alternate reality that was changed by Marty and Doc in Back to the Future Part II, and the ripple would definitely have caught up with them by now.
  • edited December 2010
    Ah, the ripple effect... a.k.a. convenience effect. Because it's used to explain paradoxes, and that can't but help to think that ripple effect goes in (or doesn't) when it's convenient for the plot at a speed which is convenient for a plot, and that's why I don't like the ripple effect explanations. Well, most of them. Besides, the ripple effect doesn't explain the second 1955 travel. With 1985A, there would be no future from which Biff could still the almanac and go back in time to give it to himself. With 1985A Marty would never could go back in time (I mean original Marty), so the second Marty would not meet his other self. But, hey, it's how time travel works in BttF - the past becomes implanted in history even if the future is changed.

And about your explanation: it's kinda sketchy. The main reason: the end of BttF3. As I said, it cancels out everything that happened in the two movies. Different future = no Biff going back with the almanac (and stealing everything) = no Doc getting stranded in 1885 = no Marty seeing the tombstone = total time paradox. Not to mention that Doc from 1955 doesn't know anything about the future bar the fact that he's kinda supposed to die (and that Marty gets in 1955 again), and that's not enough information to try to recreate something.
    edited December 2010
    And about your explanation: it's kinda sketchy. The main reason: the end of BttF3. As I said, it cancels out everything that happened in the two movies. Different future = no Biff going back with the almanac (and stealing everything) = no Doc getting stranded in 1885 = no Marty seeing the tombstone = total time paradox. Not to mention that Doc from 1955 doesn't know anything about the future bar the fact that he's kinda supposed to die (and that Marty gets in 1955 again), and that's not enough information to try to recreate something.
    Just because Marty's future was changed doesn't mean the events leading up to his son getting involved with Griff were changed. Marty and Jennifer might not live in the same run-down neighborhood, but considering how important Hill Valley is to their pasts and futures, I'm sure they'll still live in the same town. And considering how hung up on Lorraine Biff still is in 2015, and how jealous he still is of George, I'm sure he's told Griff (and Tiff, who probably also talked about it to Griff) all about his rivalry with the McFlys. Which is likely the reason that Griff was so awful to Marty Jr. in Back to the Future Part II.

And, since Doc is so worried about creating paradoxes, he's likely going to be there to remind Marty in 2015 that the events have to take place, and that everything will work out OK.
  • edited December 2010
    What about the whole "past becomes implanted in history even if the future is changed" thing?
  • edited December 2010
    markeres wrote: »
    What about the whole "past becomes implanted in history even if the future is changed" thing?

That's my point. That's a paradox that kind of defends the timeline from other paradoxes (the ones that I mentioned in the message you've quoted).
  • edited January 2011
    How come that the same Biff who submissivly washes Marty's pickup, saying "Here's your key, Marty" sporting the biggest and humblest smile and then again acts as the most subdued man on earth, telling him he washed Marty's car twice and making positive comments on his cowboy attire, all of a sudden turns into a jerk, calls Marty butthead, kicks him off when he's trying to play the jukebox and answers harshly to EVERY GODDAMN THING Marty says?
  • edited January 2011
    ^
    Because it's obvious Biff never changed. It was just a mask. He is still the bully he has always been. The game just establishes that Biff drops his mask as soon as George is not around.
  • edited January 2011
    I though it was somewhat unexpected at first, but the more I think about it the more it makes sense. He still does whatever George tells him and it's not like his whole personality changed just because the he and George switched places in hierarchy. He's still a jerk and a bully, it's just that now he has no power.
  • edited January 2011
    He's still raised that way. It's not like he's going to completely forget his entire highschool life as a bully. But if your life is pathetic and you have one way to make your living, you start licking some boots. It does not mean he became a good guy at the end of the first movie (if he did, old Biff wouldn't have done those things in the second movie).
  • edited January 2011
    Falanca wrote: »
    He's still raised that way. It's not like he's going to completely forget his entire highschool life as a bully. But if your life is pathetic and you have one way to make your living, you start licking some boots. It does not mean he became a good guy at the end of the first movie (if he did, old Biff wouldn't have done those things in the second movie).

Precisely. And for another thing, Biff was getting paid to wax Marty's truck. He wasn't gonna jeopardize a paycheck by being a prick to Marty. At the sale at Doc's, he's not there to earn money, he's there to by some of Doc's stuff. Therefore, unless George rags on him, Biff's gonna be a jerk. And remember, 1985 "good" Biff DID call Marty a butthead. Sure it was because Biff didn't recognize him, but it did show that Biff hasn't changed.
  • edited January 2011
    I think Biff feels humiliated that George has more money than him and is married to the girl he wanted to marry himself. Not able to pick on George, because he wants to suck up to him, he's getting his frustration out on his son, Marty.
  • edited January 2011
    I got the impression that as kid growing up, Biff realized George McFly was the one person too weak to ever stand up to him so he bullied him big time........plus its a Tannen tradition to pick on a McFly lol. When George, biggest wuss in Hill Valley since his old man, finally stands up to Biff and slug him good Biff becomes the town joke. The McFly's are probably one of his few customers, at least his biggest paying customers, which they probably just do to humilate Biff even more..........that may seem harsh, but remember he bullied George all their childhood and he tried to rape Lorraine once.

Biff will always be Biff. He hates the McFly's but is afraid of George. Also like how he gets smarter when he gets older

Teenage Biff: stupid idiot that needs help tying his shoes but has his scary malevolent moments.

Middle Aged Biff: Sorta intelligent and knows how to run a business.

Elderly Biff: Evil twisted mastermind, only his 1986A self is anywhere near as intelligent and sadistic.
  • edited January 2011
    Well, he didn't really pick on Marty at the end of the first movie but I wouldn't say it's a wise choice to bully your boss' son because of some grudges you hold onto. And in the game, he doesn't really pick on Marty, he's just enthusiastic yet he lacks manners. So he has to be warned by George each time he pushes the line, which he oftenly does.
  • edited January 2011
    I played through the game, but I don't understand the intro. I understand the Delorean was duplicated, but why, in front of twin pines mall, did the Delorean not reappear? What got messed up?
  • edited January 2011
    I played through the game, but I don't understand the intro. I understand the Delorean was duplicated, but why, in front of twin pines mall, did the Delorean not reappear? What got messed up?

Uhm... the intro was a dream.
  • edited January 2011
    Or it was something else that will be resolved later.We will know for sure when the season ends.
  • edited January 2011
    Andorxor wrote: »
    Or it was something else that will be resolved later.We will know for sure when the season ends.

It may be a foreshadowing of things to come (well, it most likely is), but it's stated pretty much straight away (and straightforwardly) that the intro sequence itself was a dream.
  • edited January 2011
    It just didn't seem like a dream. I know he wakes up right after, but it still seemed important. I just thought the car goes through time with einstein in it, and then, later, at Doc's house, the car shows up with einstein. My first thought was an alternate timeline or something. i guess I was looking too far into it.
  • edited January 2011
    I thought it was put in to quickly establish a back story and existence of the time machine, for those who may not be as familiar to the films. This way the story of the game holds up on it's own without requiring the player to have seen/followed the movies.
    It also shows that the story of the game is going to "sway" from the story of the movies.
  • edited January 2011
    It just didn't seem like a dream. I know he wakes up right after, but it still seemed important. I just thought the car goes through time with einstein in it, and then, later, at Doc's house, the car shows up with einstein. My first thought was an alternate timeline or something. i guess I was looking too far into it.

i thougt about this too, but it just doesnt make sense at all. or does it? we'll find out in the next episodes....
  • edited January 2011
    Not a big thing, but I find it odd that Doc would risk going back to a time when his younger self is around, just for the nostalgia and getting his wife books for her birthday. It doesn't really fit in with what he said about the dangers of time travel and using it for personal gain. But then again, if he hadn't, we wouldn't have had this story which started out great. So I'm not complaining.
  • edited January 2011
    Doc was O.K. with Time Travel again since he built another time machine and has become more responsible from the time Marty went back to 1985 and Doc married Clara. So, really not out of character, but character development.
  • edited January 2011

You're supposed to read too much into it. It's what we refer to as a "red herring." ;)
  • edited January 2011
    thats too weird to even think about it (or is it not)

where does the shoe and the tape come from?

thats how the story went, and its insane:

eini travelled back to 1931 by accident. he found his owner (doc from another timeline) which was just visiting the same time period by coincidence and stayed with him. then, when the building burnt down, eini realized that his owner is in trouble, and because he's such a smart dog and because he knows the time cuircuits display is f*ucked up, he stole the shoe and went back into the delorean, just in time for the homecoming device to be activated and bring him back to 1986 to help marty finding the owner of the shoe. such a smart doggie.

and thats also the reason the 1985's doc dissappears, BECAUSE after the events of back to the future the game doc, marty and einstein that are in 1931 travel back to a time BEFORE the first testing of the time machine and prevent all this time machine stuff from ever happening and THATS why the 1985's doc dissappears and marty's "dream" ends the way it ends....

*brainexplodes*
  • edited January 2011
    One thing that I find interesting:

The delorean pops out in 1931 in the middle of a car chase where the villains get away. Perhaps the cops should have caught the villains at that point and this is the Marty disappearing paradox.
  • edited January 2011
    Bravo wrote: »
    One thing that I find interesting:

The delorean pops out in 1931 in the middle of a car chase where the villains get away. Perhaps the cops should have caught the villains at that point and this is the Marty disappearing paradox.

Actually, I think that's what happened. At least one of those guys should have been caught, there would've been no need to subpoena Artie, and Kid would've still gone to jail.
  • edited January 2011
    Continuity error: Whe you have done everything except subpoena Arthur, it's 4:20 according to the clock tower. When you then subpoena him you get a cut scene where it's 4:00.
  • edited January 2011
    But it's the goof that is easily overlooked and probably happened in a lot of movies.

When Marty arrives in 1931 and gets caught up in a police chase the DeLorean drives around 70 mph....and so do the other two 1931 cars!
    But back then cars weren't able to go that fast.
  • edited January 2011
    We can likely poke a thousand logical holes in the entire storyline but I for one just enjoy the entertainment value and escapism of the successful reprise of my most favourite movie trilogy.

Questions: Although we may find out in subsequent episodes, why did Einstein return to Doc's home and at precisely the same time Marty was there (impossible coincidence) and not to the Lone Pine Mall, several months after the coming home device was set? Obviously this was not Einsteins first time travel event? Even if the opening sequence was Marty's dream, do we know the date, from the original movie that Einstein was sent? Likely not 1931. I realize the Lone Pine Mall sign started to disappear but as someone surmised, wasn't that just a dream? No doubt when Doc said "I've made a horrible mistake!" this may be an ominous clue to help us unfold the answers to these questions. We also know there will be further interactions with Miss Striklin. It's fun to speculate and make us more eager to see all future episodes. I can hardly wait :confused:
  • edited January 2011
    ^
    Einstein wasn't sent there from the events that happened at Lone Pine Mall in 1985. Einstein was with Doc at the end of the trilogy. Doc probably traveled with Einstein through time and when he send it to 1986 he send Einstein along.
  • edited January 2011
    Origami wrote: »
    But it's the goof that is easily overlooked and probably happened in a lot of movies.

When Marty arrives in 1931 and gets caught up in a police chase the DeLorean drives around 70 mph....and so do the other two 1931 cars!
    But back then cars weren't able to go that fast.

First 1931 car I found: http://www.crossley-motors.org.uk/history/1930/golden/Golden.html

You wil note that it's top speed is listed as 72mph, so driving at around 70 mph is possible at the time :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.