Batman General Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited March 2012
    The end of the trailer was funny
  • edited April 2012
    Is Batman The Killing Joke good?
  • edited April 2012
    If by "good" you mean "iconic" and critical to understanding the Batman-Joker dynamic? Yes.
  • edited April 2012
    Well i will finally be reading it......along with Year one
  • edited April 2012
    It's not a very long read...but very memorable.
  • edited April 2012
    Has anyone ever watched The Batman? i think its great
  • edited April 2012
    Has anyone ever watched The Batman? i think its great

The Batman?

Arkham City DLC! And it's not multiplayer! It's an addition to the story!!!

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1223536p1.html

:D YEEESSSSSSS!
  • edited April 2012
    HOOLLLY HELLL

I WILL play this game all over again.
  • edited April 2012
    That's what they were hoping. I heard this before I left for work. Greatness.
  • edited April 2012
    Sounds like every Batman fanfiction ever. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt....sure.....but Harley never fit main villain material to me.
  • edited April 2012
    That's why it's only DLC and not the next game. She can hold her own though, it's the lack of a real character depth that keeps her out of main villain potential.
  • edited April 2012
    Sounds like every Batman fanfiction ever. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt....sure.....but Harley never fit main villain material to me.

Not like every fanfiction ever...

Batman and Robocop: The Day the Men Found Love

I'd post the link, but it's rather NSFW. Actually, it's kinda not safe for anything except possibly MSTing or burning.
  • edited April 2012
    Johro wrote: »
    That's why it's only DLC and not the next game. She can hold her own though, it's the lack of a real character depth that keeps her out of main villain potential.

She has plenty of depth in Mad Love, Return of the Joker, and a couple other TAS episodes, and she could easily have more, but Harley at her core is a character made entirely to serve as a sendup of the ditzy gun moll. She can go beyond that, but as a full on villain I think they're taking Harley in the exact opposite direction of what would give her depth- in fact most of Arkham Asylum takes her in that opposite direction. She has always found depth within the fact that sympathy can be found for her, and most of the storylines that give her depth play on that sympathy. Making her a full on one-note villain bent on vengeance would likely destroy that sympathy, and her depth.

I'd post the link, but it's rather NSFW. Actually, it's kinda not safe for anything except possibly MSTing or burning.

PM it to me.
  • edited April 2012
    I'm going to have to play it all over again, because I lost my entire save file to the dreaded GFWL bug.
  • edited May 2012
    I finally read the Killing Joke and Batman Year One and i must say they were great!
  • edited May 2012

Oh Gosh. I've seen it. I can't unsee it.

"Bruce Wayne them put his Batman suit to prepare mentally for that demanding task. He must now discover a way to makes sex with Robocop, because it's monday. If he waits till friday, the cousin killers will be untraceable."
  • edited May 2012
    DAISHI wrote: »
    Oh Gosh. I've seen it. I can't unsee it.

"Bruce Wayne them put his Batman suit to prepare mentally for that demanding task. He must now discover a way to makes sex with Robocop, because it's monday. If he waits till friday, the cousin killers will be untraceable."

If you liked that one, you should try Severus Snape, Professor and Lover. Or Scooby Doo and the Trip of Lust.

Or Love: The Fuel of Heroes. That's a Psychonauts one.

Again, all of these are extremely NSFW.
  • edited May 2012
    Or Love: The Fuel of Heroes. That's a Psychonauts one.
    I flat out refuse to believe anyone, ANYONE, would dare sully one of Tim Schaefer's greatest creations.

...my mind simple cannot handle it.
  • edited May 2012
    I flat out refuse to believe anyone, ANYONE, would dare sully one of Tim Schaefer's greatest creations.

...my mind simple cannot handle it.

I don't know if sully is the right word. The characters seem to be enjoying themselves.
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah, should probably rephrase that. Now all I can think of is this:

Sulley.jpg

...getting freaky with the cast of Psychonauts.

...I may need a couple minutes to bleach my brain.
  • edited May 2012

Sulley.jpg

The worst part is this fic probably exists somewhere.
  • edited June 2012
    So I beat the Harley Quinn's Revenge DLC rather quickly(as did most people) even with doing as much searching around as I could. It will be interesting to see if anyone uncovers something added to the free roam portion(the only part I didn't really spend any time on).

As far as anything I've noticed, there were two things that came to my attention:

First there is the more obvious and now, infamous
    false positive cop-out of the pregnancy test. I didn't really have a problem with this. I was one of the people that thought the idea was fairly stupid in the first place and I'm glad it's nixed, albeit in an equally stupid way.

The second, which isn't really a spoiler as it could very well be nothing, is the answering machine message. A simple red light, that they actually took the care to have the phone display say "new message" when you zoom in. I didn't try my decoder on it when I saw it the second time with Batman, but I might give it a try when I do another run through(and yes, I'm aware phones don't work that way, but he's Batman damnit).
  • edited June 2012
    Harley Quinn's Revenge was a nice addition, liked being able to play as Robin outside of challenge maps. And a Harley without her Mr. J is a sad, psychotic sight.
  • edited June 2012
    I am Batman!

snapshot-5.png
  • edited June 2012
    More like Pedoman.
  • edited June 2012
    More like Pedoman.

I need a bear costume for that.
  • edited June 2012
    You can borrow mine. It comes back from the drycleaners tomorrow. All those stains... yeesh.
  • edited June 2012
    New images from Dark Knight Returns animated feature.

and voice cast.
    Peter Weller, the fan-favorite star of the original RoboCop and guest player on shows like 24 and Dexter (he’s also in the upcoming Star Trek 2), as Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Ariel Winter, of Modern Family and Phineas and Ferb fame, as 13-year old Carrie Kelley/female Robin.

Wade Williams, a Prison Break alum who provided vocals for DC titles like Green Lantern: Emerald Knights and Batman: Under the Red Hood, as Harvey Dent/Two-Face.

Michael McKean, the star of famous 1980s titles like This Is Spinal Tap and Clue (who briefly played Perry White on Smallville), as Dr. Wolper – the psychiatrist who releases Joker from Arkham.

David Selby, star of the original Dark Shadows and Falcon Crest soap operas, in a role not disclosed in THR‘s scoop.
  • edited June 2012

Sulley.jpg

good
  • edited June 2012
    First I've heard of an animated Dark Knight Returns, and I'm not 100% convinced it's a good move.

Oh no, wait. That's Dark Knight Returns Again. My bad. Carry on!
  • edited June 2012
    On April 25, 2012, DCAU Batman voice actor Kevin Conroy let slip that he had just recorded his lines for the animated movie version of DC Universe-changing Flashpoint.[43][44]

• edited June 2012
    ...but this is the one case where he shouldn't be Batman. This is just going to make a bizarre story more bizarre.
  • edited June 2012
    ...but this is the one case where he shouldn't be Batman. This is just going to make a bizarre story more bizarre.

Well, DC Animated adaptations generally don't follow the comic books exactly.
  • edited June 2012
    I read Dark Knight Returns using Comixology not long ago. Cool story. Didn't realize until afterward that it predates Batman Year One and other really big Batman-building stories. It's really interesting that a lot of the angst that defines modern versions of Batman is apparently inspired by the story where his angst is specifically coming from his reaction to being retired for ten years.
    coolsome wrote: »

That's a good preview. Oddly enough, the voice clips used throughout have pretty much sold me on every casting choice except Peter Weller.... somehow he seems too calm, not angry enough. But I have hope that it'll play better with the animation, so we can see the anger in his eyes as he speaks calmly, or whatever. Michael McKean is clearly awesome, and the guy playing Gordon seems really good.

coolsome wrote: »
    On April 25, 2012, DCAU Batman voice actor Kevin Conroy let slip that he had just recorded his lines for the animated movie version of DC Universe-changing Flashpoint.[43][44]

Hmm. I'm not familiar with Flashpoint, but from reading the opening summary (which quickly answered the question of why Johro would expect a different voice actor), I wonder if it would have been better to use James Woods, who voiced an alternate universe counterpart to Batman in Justice League Crisis on Two Earths
  • edited June 2012
    I'm doing a review of each Batman film, from '89 to The Dark Knight Rises once it comes out. So far, I've done the first 2.
    http://www.culturalzest.com/2012/06/03/caped-crusader-reviews-batman-1989/
    http://www.culturalzest.com/2012/06/09/caped-crusader-reviews-batman-returns-1992/

Let me know what you think and if there's any writing advice you can give me, that would be cool also :)
  • edited June 2012
    The mention of the Keaton controversy was a promising step. Perhaps, including more wide-spread opinions and your take on them would be better. What makes a good review lies in personal opinion, just like reviews. Reviews are always better when the reviewer comments and acknowledges the readers own comments and questions. This isn't the easiest thing to do as it requires more research than just seeing the movie, but it does enhance the reading experience.

I'll comment on the first as the second movie is more of a mess. The Joker character divided audiences as he was portrayed as a mix of the campy 60s version and (at the time)serious comic book version. He was also killed off. A whole lot of fans absolutely hated that as well; they killed off the greatest villain of all time(multiple sources). People also didn't like the wooden movements of Batman which understandably was a suit restriction and not an acting choice. My own opinion on the matter is that Keaton did an excellent job doing what he was able to do, and while movement wasn't fluid, he didn't appear to be struggling with the suit.

The summary paragraph was good, but there was nothing negative in it. No one wants a glowing fanboy review, nor a hate-filled angry one. A good thing to remember.

Well, that's my opinion.
  • edited June 2012
    The mention of the Keaton controversy was a promising step. Perhaps, including more wide-spread opinions and your take on them would be better. What makes a good review lies in personal opinion, just like reviews. Reviews are always better when the reviewer comments and acknowledges the readers own comments and questions. This isn't the easiest thing to do as it requires more research than just seeing the movie, but it does enhance the reading experience.

I'll comment on the first as the second movie is more of a mess. The Joker character divided audiences as he was portrayed as a mix of the campy 60s version and (at the time)serious comic book version. He was also killed off. A whole lot of fans absolutely hated that as well; they killed off the greatest villain of all time(multiple sources). People also didn't like the wooden movements of Batman which understandably was a suit restriction and not an acting choice. My own opinion on the matter is that Keaton did an excellent job doing what he was able to do, and while movement wasn't fluid, he didn't appear to be struggling with the suit.

The summary paragraph was good, but there was nothing negative in it. No one wants a glowing fanboy review, nor a hate-filled angry one. A good thing to remember.

Well, that's my opinion.

Thanks for your advice. I've gone back to that review and added some more to it, there was definitely a lot of content I glossed over, so I talked more about screen time of minor characters, Vicky Vale in the batcave and the Joker killing Batman's parents, so it didn't make the review look too positive. Still, I've decided to stick with my original score, because overall, I still feel it's a masterpiece of cinema and any gripes I have with it don't ruin the overall experience for me.
  • edited June 2012
    What do you think about the
    Cadmius sign
    in Harleys Revenge?
  • edited June 2012
    Cadmus? Probably to make us think the Joker was cloned. Weren't they also involved in the Tim/Joker from Beyond too?
    At this point I'm almost beyond speculating things as all the hints go in all directions at this point.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.