Batman General Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited July 2012
    I thought that was only in the radio show and the movie? The magazine Shadow was just a master of stealth and disguise, and with less of a focus on hypnosis and what-have-you.

They handled the actual parts with the Shadow in the movie really well, but there just wasn't enough of them!

Anyway, definitely agreed. I like Sam Raimi, darn it. -sigh- I still have yet to see Darkman.

But not to derail the thread or anything! It's always fun to see where popular things' inspirations lie, I suppose.

Oh, and did you guys hear about the "Batman: Year One" movie Darren Aronofsky was to be involved in, before it was handed to Christoper Nolan? Oh my word.
    http://klockworkkugler.com/2010/10/20/what-could-have-been-darren-aronofskys-batman-year-one/
  • edited July 2012
    I liked The Spirit, but boy did they cock up that movie rightly.
  • edited July 2012
    It's not a good Spirit movie, but it's probably worth a spot on my list of guilty pleasures. Gabriel Macht and Samuel L. Jackson did fantastic for what they were given, and they do give the film enough energy so that it's bad, but a fun kind of bad. Like Batman & Robin.
  • edited July 2012
    Other fans of the Shadow? YES.

Saw the movie. Will write up thoughts in the movie thread- maybe with some blacked out spoilers.
  • edited July 2012
    Looking forward to it, man! :D

By the way, I saw a guy on Something Awful have a whole thread of reviews on movies like the Phantom, the Shadow, the Rocketeer, Dick Tracy, the Spirit and a few others that he's still working on, like Jake Speed. That's all I remember, but the thread is called "Pulp Heroes -- like superheroes, but with more dignity" or something like that if you want a look-see. :)
  • edited July 2012
    Jennifer wrote: »
    That's not Batman killing someone. Those people died because they weren't paying attention to where they were going.

Okay, I'll grant that, so Kilmer's killing only accounts for Two-Face. And don't say that he didn't know he would die, they knew there were sharp bits down there and that Two-Face would go nuts trying to grab his coin. Bats wanted him to die.

And that also doesn't give Keaton a free pass on his murder spree.
  • Jennifer wrote: »
    That's not Batman killing someone. Those people died because they weren't paying attention to where they were going.

Freakin’ San Francisco drivers...
  • edited July 2012
    it might sound like a horrible car accident but for a San Francisco taxi driver it was just tuesday.
  • edited July 2012
    I just saw DKR it was fucking amazing! I am going to see it again on Monday. I am fucking pumped up right now!
  • I wasn’t lying about Robin. Cotillard is not Talia Al Ghul.
  • edited July 2012
    Noname215 wrote: »
    I wasn’t lying about Robin. Cotillard is not Talia Al Ghul.

e87f7aaf9fc9b4f397422f0aec1e412624975f6d.gif
  • edited July 2012
    Ugh. Don't start that again, noname.
  • edited July 2012
    SPOILER TAGS PLEASE.

Thank you.
  • edited July 2012
    Bruce Wayne
    isnt Iron Man
  • edited July 2012
    coolsome wrote: »
    Bruce Wayne
    isnt Iron Man

But is he
    Spiderman
    ?
  • edited July 2012
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    But is he
    Spiderman
    ?
    No, he's
    Green Lantern
    . Proof.
  • edited July 2012
    No, he's
    Green Lantern
    . Proof.

Nah, I'm pretty sure he's
    Black Widow.
  • edited July 2012
    Well, I'm pretty sure nobody saw THIS coming.
  • edited July 2012
    Now the whole movie is ruined for me! Don't click that link.
  • edited July 2012
    2012-07-23-rise.png
  • edited July 2012
    Bruce Wayne
    isnt Iron Man

Right, Bruce isn't a billionaire playboy that has a penchant for creating all kinds of gadgets and technology...oh wait.
  • edited July 2012
    2012-07-23-rise.png

funny :D:D:D Anyone notice Batman ruined everything in that comic?
  • edited July 2012
    I'm starting to think that the reason Rocksteady is making a prequel to the Arkham games is to have the Joker in the game and they didn't want to come up with a contrived reason for him to come back
  • edited July 2012
    I'm starting to think that the reason Rocksteady is making a prequel to the Arkham games is to have the Joker in the game and they didn't want to come up with a contrived reason for him to come back

If so then Kudos to them for being reasonable.
  • edited July 2012
    I will leave that one here
    Cinema Snob: Dickman & Throbbin

mature content warning!
  • edited July 2012
    DAISHI wrote: »
    If so then Kudos to them for being reasonable.

Well, we'll see. Personally, I still think there were enough clues to have the idea that Joker was just screwing with the Bat. The big one being the antidote vial switching hands while Batman was unconscious.
  • edited July 2012
    they didn't want to come up with a contrived reason for him to come back

But isn't this in the spirit of DC comics (and, well, hero comics in general) to come up with contrived reasons to bring everything and everyone back? :p
  • edited July 2012
    Well, we'll see. Personally, I still think there were enough clues to have the idea that Joker was just screwing with the Bat. The big one being the antidote vial switching hands while Batman was unconscious.

I keep thinking they do want to do a sequel, but want to set up Joker's return using the prequel.
  • edited July 2012
    I'm just gonna spoiler my my thoughts on this for obvious reasons
    It was alright. The middle act was boring and the whole thing ran far too long. It was full of plotholes and I never thought i'd say it, but I need more Batman in my Batman movie. There's a scene towards the end when Bats is asking Bane where the detonator is and Bales' portrayal of Batman just becomes a parody of itself. There are also some terribly shot scenes, lone of Bats approaching an enemy whilst lights flicker on and off and he gets closer with each flicker was facepalm bad.

It wasn't terrible or anything, but I was very disappointed.
  • edited July 2012
    JedExodus wrote: »
    i'm just gonna spoiler my my thoughts on this for obvious reasons
    it was alright. The middle act was boring and the whole thing ran far too long. It was full of plotholes and i never thought i'd say it, but i need more batman in my batman movie. There's a scene towards the end when bats is asking bane where the detonator is and bales' portrayal of batman just becomes a parody of itself. There are also some terribly shot scenes, lone of bats approaching an enemy whilst lights flicker on and off and he gets closer with each flicker was facepalm bad.

It wasn't terrible or anything, but i was very disappointed.
    where's the detonatooooorrrrr!!!!! You wudn't give it to an orrrdinery shitishennnnn!!!!!!!!!
  • edited July 2012
    where's the detonatooooorrrrr!!!!! You wudn't give it to an orrrdinery shitishennnnn!!!!!!!!!

I read that in Cartmans voice for some reason. Makes sense though since Bane sounds like Kenny.
  • edited July 2012
    I read that in Cartmans voice for some reason. Makes sense though since Bane sounds like Kenny.

Ughhhh....can not unhear.
  • edited July 2012
    The movie was okay. It was too long, and I have a laundry list of little annoying issues with it. It wasn't bad, and I never expected it to surpass The Dark Knight, but I feel awfully "meh" about it.

Majorly annoying one that just occurred to me this afternoon:

Little kid Bruce watches his parents get shot and killed. Drives him to become the Batman.
    Grown-ass man Bruce's girlfriend dies. Drives him to give up Batman life in general, and cry in the dark for the better part of a decade.

MAKES SENSE TO ME!
  • edited July 2012
    Scnew wrote: »
    The movie was okay. It was too long, and I have a laundry list of little annoying issues with it. It wasn't bad, and I never expected it to surpass The Dark Knight, but I feel awfully "meh" about it.

Majorly annoying one that just occurred to me this afternoon:

Little kid Bruce watches his parents get shot and killed. Drives him to become the Batman.
    Grown-ass man Bruce's girlfriend dies. Drives him to give up Batman life in general, and cry in the dark for the better part of a decade.

MAKES SENSE TO ME!

Pretty much not what happened at all.
  • edited July 2012
    No it's not, but even I was sitting there thinking, "so what? He didn't leave his house in 8 years?". That was kind of an odd/cheap way of not having to play catch up with any character progression. I did like the ending on paper though... could have been executed a bit better, but I liked what they did with who they did and I liked the doctor visit.
    What better way to emphasise that Batman is not a superhero than to tell him his body is pretty fucked up.

and whoa whoa whoa, when I meant "the ending", I didn't mean
    the very last scene. Let's just be clear on that. At first I missed what Lucious said and thought that end scene was just in Alfred's head(which it should have been, leaving us wondering one way or the other), but then I was told that the autopilot was explained. Blah. Oh well, at least it didn't end with them running off into the credits.
  • edited July 2012
    2012-07-23-rise.png

I got an idea for this comic.

Batman: Batarang breaks :(

Alfred: Why do we fall sir?

Batman: shut up Alfred
  • edited July 2012
    DAISHI wrote: »
    Pretty much not what happened at all.

I don't know what part of becoming a recluse for 8 years doesn't seem like "giving up Batman and life in general." Sure seemed like Alfred thought that's what he was doing.
  • edited July 2012
    Scnew wrote: »
    I don't know what part of becoming a recluse for 8 years doesn't seem like "giving up Batman and life in general." Sure seemed like Alfred thought that's what he was doing.

He gave up being Batman so he could take the rap for Dent's death but with out Rachel or Batman he shut him self off from the world because he thought it had nothing to offer.
  • edited July 2012
    He felt alone, outcast, like the normal life was not meant for him. After much hesitation, he decided to give it one shot. The failure of that one attempt only proved to himself that he was meant to stay an outcast.

Of all the problems that could be brought up, why are we stuck on one that can be explained?
  • edited July 2012
    As someone who hates the nolanverse batman movies. I enjoyed it..and it was alright. I enjoyed it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.