Batman General Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Some the survivors of the shooting wore batman shirts at James Holmes charging court thingy.

Don Lader, 32, was with his wife in theater 9, row 8, about 15 yards from the exit when Holmes allegedly walked into the theater spraying gunfire. He wore a Batman shirt emblazoned with the words "A Fire Will Rise," a sentiment matching comments he made to the media that he would not allow fear to govern his actions in the aftermath of the shooting.

"He attacked us out of cowardice but we will attack back in strength," saidLader, who, along with his wife, escaped with minor scrapes. Lader said he has gone back to see the Warner Bros.-released Batman movie twice -- once with his wife and a second time with the son of Amber Harris, a 27-year-old cocktail waitress who also was at the theater that night and who has since befriended Lader and his wife.

"I made a promise to Amber's son that I would take him if he wanted to go," Lader said. "I'm not gonna lie, it was tough seeing it in the beginning. We kept eyeing the exits. But we needed to go; we needed to know that we still had the power to sit and watch a movie. (Holmes) doesn't have the power anymore."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/colorado-shooting-james-holmes-hearing-victims-batman-shirt-355850
  • edited July 2012
    Well i finally got Harley Quinn's revenge (I know about time) and i will say it's good over all. I liked playing as Robin because as it may shock people my favorite Batman characters was Nightwing,Robin (Tim Drake) and Batman.
    I loved how it flashbacked to how it happened when Robin finds Batman's belt. But why did it flashback for Robin? Did Batman's belt record everything that happened up to the point of Batman's capture? Harley Quinn was also good as the main villian but i wish there would be a part where Batman just punches her like in Arkham City when Batman goes to get Joker after trying to shoot Catwoman and punches her. It was also great how Robin had to save Batman before he was killed in that thing Harley put him in. It was great showing what happened to Batman after seeing Joker's death and Talia's death with Robin & Batgirl mentioning about how he hardly talks anymore. But there is a lot of downsides too. A little while into Harley Quinns revenge it starts it get a little boring but it starts to pick up again. I wish Robin had his own set of riddles to solve and could explore Arkham City with him and I wish there was points where you could switch Batman for Robin like how you can switch between Batman & Catwoman if you got the Catwoman DLC.

Again it was a good expansion on Arkham City But i wish next time we get a Mr.Freeze DLC or Penguin or Scarecrow or Poison Ivy DLC. Because when you get right down to it Harley Quinn is just a crazy person who went crazier after Joker died and don't get me wrong i like Harley as a character and think she's cool but still it seems the reason she's the villain is because she's connected to the Joker and they wanted the Joker to have something to do with the DLC. If it was Mr.Freeze there could be a big story of him going on a huge rampage on Arkham City/Gotham City freeze everything and It's up to Batman to stop him.

If it was Penguin He could go on a rampage with his men and capture Batman. That would be a better story for capturing Batman and i'm not sure because i'm just taking this from The Batman animated series but didn't Penguin have something against Alfred? Maybe he could attack Wayne Manor which would be a great place to explore. Penguin could take over Wayne Manor and find the Bat Cave and figures out Bruce Wayne is Batman.

If it was Scarecrow he could infect all of Gotham with his fear gas and take over using fear as his way of taking over and turning Gotham against Batman and He even gets Robin,Nightwing, and Batgirl and since they know where the Bat Cave is. He could have to use another secret Batcave that he has in case something like this happened.

If it was a Poison Ivy DLC she could use her mind control gas on Batman & Robin and uses them to turn against Gotham and use all her gas all of Gotham leaving Nightwing to come in and save Gotham.

There's just so many ideas that could be used and i hope they use them because when you think about it. There are more smarter and powerful and better Batman enemies that could have better plans then just. Harley Quinn:Oh no! Mr.J's dead!!!! I will take revenge on Batman!. Now i know Harley is crazy to begin with and Joker's death just makes her crazier but it's like what i said. It seems they used Harley Quinn to have Joker in the story some way when there is other Batman villains that deserve to be used instead of Harley. Anyway Harley Quinn's Revenge gets an 8/10.
  • edited July 2012
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Rocksteady is focusing more on the sequel/prequel/whatever-the-hell-it-is rather than more DLC. Not to stop you dreaming or anything. More DLC'd be nice.
  • edited July 2012
    I know but still i wish they would make more DLC based on different and better villains from Batman instead of Harley. I mean you got to admit it seemed like she was just in it because then Joker would have something to do with the story. At least that's what it seemed like to me.

Also what did you think of my review?
  • edited July 2012
    Yeah, it didn't really expand the story any, which is what a good DLC like this should do. And not having Robin be able to travel around Gotham is a massive missed opportunity. Oh well.

Your review... it seemed more about what could be rather than what is. If you're going to analyse something, then that's fine, but you have to remain focused on what you're actually reviewing, because otherwise it's just a wish list. Not that there's anything wrong with that, per se, it's just not the same thing.

There's also a lot about the actual DLC that you're not mentioning. The fact that it's pretty much just more combat in an already existing location, for example. That probably needs to be mentioned!

As such, I'm loathe to actually consider it a review, and more 'your thoughts on the DLC'.

Lemme dig up an actual review I did a while back. It went through a good bit of feedback with the editor to get it to where it is, and I'm pretty damn happy with it. It should give you an idea of how reviews are structured and the sort of things you should talk about.

EDIT: Here it is. God, is that really from 2009? What the hell have I been doing with my life since then? Ugh.
  • edited July 2012
    I believe that the hope for more DLC is a vain one. The Game of the Year edition is out. I doubt they'll try to milk it any further.

In any event, I read somewhere that WB is set to announce two new games at Gamescom, so maybe we'll get a peek at what Rocksteady's working on?
  • edited July 2012
    Well i will expand on this.
    Another good thing is Robin does have a good pile of gadgets which while some are like Batman's, Some are different such as Robin's riot shield. Robin also looks as good as Batman as he has gotten a good redesign. While it does not change much it's cool to see an older Tim Drake as a playable Character. A thing i love about his design is his hood. Voice Acting is as good as the game itself and You can feel how much pain Harley & Batman are going through with the Joker's death. The DLC can be frustrating at points like when you have to take down Harley and get the key to save Batman or when you return to Batman with the key and you got to take down a pile of Harley's men. I like how Gordon has more screen time in the DLC while not much more. The gameplay is still the great fun gameplay from the main game. Something i hated was there was no real Final battle with Harley since all Batman does is grab her and stops her from blowing up the bombs.

Also i liked the ending but i still felt there was more that could be done with Arkham City like the easter egg when you find Scarecrow's lair in a boat and find what he was doing with his fear gas or Poison Ivy we never see her get captured by Batman and the guards and people she has brainwashed are still brainwashed in her lair so while again Harley Quinn's revenge is a good DLC to Batman arkham city There is still better and greater stories that can be told.
  • edited August 2012
    That's why I'm kinda irritated that they're going with a prequel. I'd love to delve into how Bats is feeling now that Joker is gone as well as pick up on a lot of story threads that were left dangling, ie. Hush, the disappearance of Ra's and Talia's bodies, and Azrael's predictions. I DO hope that a prequel will try to set things up for the sequel, maybe showing Ra's's other Lazarus Pits, things like that maybe.

Also, I find it really irritating that The Dark Knight Rises got an actually decent game that seems like an Arkham clone(which can be a very good thing), but it's only on iThings. That's bull.
  • edited August 2012
    That's why I'm kinda irritated that they're going with a prequel. I'd love to delve into how Bats is feeling now that Joker is gone as well as pick up on a lot of story threads that were left dangling, ie. Hush, the disappearance of Ra's and Talia's bodies, and Azrael's predictions. I DO hope that a prequel will try to set things up for the sequel, maybe showing Ra's's other Lazarus Pits, things like that maybe.

Also some of the sidequests in Arkham City prepare a sequel. They are a tease if they don't do one.
  • edited August 2012
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    Also some of the sidequests in Arkham City prepare a sequel. They are a tease if they don't do one.

Like I said, Hush and Azrael's warnings are perfect lead-ins to a sequel.
  • edited August 2012
    Hush is the one who makes himself look like Bruce ain't it?
  • edited August 2012

Yes.
  • edited August 2012
    In any case, I hope that they don't change Batman's suit TOO radically in the next game, IF it is a prequel. These are only rumors at this point since nothing's been announced. Honestly, I wouldn't mind them giving Bats a bit of a break and maybe trying to give ol' Supes one good game, but if they do another Batman game, they're either going to draw criticism for shrinking the game down from what we had in Arkham City, or for expanding too much that it takes forever to get anywhere. Unless they let us drive the Batmobile or fly the Batwing.

And speaking of, I'm glad that the Batcave map in Arkham City's challenge mode showed that Batman either recovered and repaired or just straight up rebuilt the Batmobile from Arkham Asylum. That particular version is my favorite version of the car next to the 89 Burton version. But the Batwing in Arkham City was just bad, in my opinion.
  • edited August 2012

That thing he wears gave me the biggest lauh in the game. It's so seemless.
  • edited August 2012

See, the thing is, the game is merely a rumor right now. He probably read the rumor and started wondering where his phone call was. For all we know they haven't even gotten started yet.
  • edited August 2012
    Azrael’s message in Arkham City vaguely reminds me of No Man’s Land.
  • edited August 2012
    Noname215 wrote: »
    Azrael’s message in Arkham City vaguely reminds me of No Man’s Land.
    See, that's kind of what Arkham City reminded me off, with the walled off city and the lawlessness within.

Y'know, minus the whole 'earthquake' thing.
  • edited August 2012
    It's been quite a while and I know that's what his people believed, but wasn't Azrael removed from them for not believing that...or was that after
    he was Batman
    ?
  • edited August 2012
    See, that's kind of what Arkham City reminded me off, with the walled off city and the lawlessness within.

Y'know, minus the whole 'earthquake' thing.

Dark Knight Rises sort of had that going on as well.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited August 2012
    coolsome wrote: »
    Dark Knight Rises sort of had that going on as well.

That was a lot what DKR was about - yet Nolan didn't show much of it. Two million (?) law-abiding people suddenly "in control" of their city - who would turn? Missed opportunity, if you ask me.
  • edited August 2012
    In a relatively long movie that already lacked character development, he really should have either cut more of that kind of stuff out, made another movie or just gone full out Godfather/LotR length. I do think it's generally agreed that how he approached the script wasn't handled overly well for such a big film. Not enough meat behind all the ideas thrown around. If it meant better explanations, better development and over all better execution, I really don't think a 4hr run time would've scared anybody off. Instead, we're left with a second half of a film that seems like cliff notes.
  • edited August 2012
    I'm still gonna get it on Blu Ray and watch the hell out of it.:p
  • edited August 2012
    Johro wrote: »
    In a relatively long movie that already lacked character development, he really should have either cut more of that kind of stuff out, made another movie or just gone full out Godfather/LotR length. I do think it's generally agreed that how he approached the script wasn't handled overly well for such a big film. Not enough meat behind all the ideas thrown around. If it meant better explanations, better development and over all better execution, I really don't think a 4hr run time would've scared anybody off. Instead, we're left with a second half of a film that seems like cliff notes.

Actually, studios will actively cut a movie down despite the directors wishes. Prime example of this is Kingdom of Heaven, which lost an hour of film.
  • edited August 2012
    I don't think they would've for Batman at this point, not after Dark Knight.
  • edited August 2012
    I'm still gonna get it on Blu Ray and watch the hell out of it.:p

DVD for me, but only cause I just have the others on DVD rather than Blu. Not sure why. Maybe I'll upgrade my Bat-trilogy at some point, but probably only when all 5 films are available.
    Johro wrote: »
    I don't think they would've for Batman at this point, not after Dark Knight.

I dunno, for Star Trek Nemesis, which was supposed to be the swan-song for the TNG crew, they hacked out some pretty important, touching scenes that would've made for a better film, all to keep it under 2 hours.
  • edited August 2012
    DVD for me, but only cause I just have the others on DVD rather than Blu. Not sure why. Maybe I'll upgrade my Bat-trilogy at some point, but probably only when all 5 films are available.

I dunno, for Star Trek Nemesis, which was supposed to be the swan-song for the TNG crew, they hacked out some pretty important, touching scenes that would've made for a better film, all to keep it under 2 hours.

All 5? Don't you mean all 7?
  • edited August 2012
    Are you perchance referring to the rumoured Schumacher films that the internet persists in claiming are real? Because those totally don't exist. They never have and they never will. There are 5 (6 if you count the 60s one) Batman films AND NO MORE.
  • edited August 2012
    Are you perchance referring to the rumoured Schumacher films that the internet persists in claiming are real? Because those totally don't exist. They never have and they never will. There are 5 (6 if you count the 60s one) Batman films AND NO MORE.

wait. Didn't YOU YOURSELF claim they exist in your Top 8 worst sequels video?
  • edited August 2012
    A.Darth you have been outsmarted by Der. B.Well thats funny you see i got a box set of Batman, & Batman Returns and here's where it gets shocking. I got 2 Batman movies called Batman Forever & Batman & Robin in the boxset with Batman & Batman Returns and The boxset is a Blu Ray Boxset.
  • edited August 2012
    wait. Didn't YOU YOURSELF claim they exist in your Top 8 worst sequels video?
    That was out of continuity and therefore doesn't count.

...or I could just really, really want them not to exist.

Either way, DON'T RUIN THIS FOR ME, DAMMIT.
  • edited August 2012
    A.Darth you have been outsmarted by Der.

Please call me Ketzer. You just called me "The" in my language.
    I'd prefer being called the German word for "heretic".
  • edited August 2012
    That was out of continuity and therefore doesn't count.

...or I could just really, really want them not to exist.

Either way, DON'T RUIN THIS FOR ME, DAMMIT.

Oh well then BAT CREDIT CARD!!!! :D
  • edited August 2012
    Oh well then BAT CREDIT CARD!!!! :D

That joke is so cold it's from the ice age.
  • edited August 2012
    That joke is so cold it's from the ice age.

Ice Age 4 had a bat credit card?
  • edited August 2012
    The Ice Age had a bat credit card?
    No. But it killed the dinosaurs.
  • edited August 2012
    So that's why the Dinosaurs were in Ice Age 3 no one found the bat credit card yet!
  • edited August 2012
    It all makes sense now!

tumblr_lrf7xh4Gk31qeozje.gif
  • edited August 2012

I'm surprised it took over an hour for someone to notice that. And no, I meant all 5. Just like there are 6 Star Wars films despite the Holiday Special, and don't get me started on those three Zelda games that should be erased from existence.
  • edited August 2012
    Just like there are 6 Star Wars films

Oh boy. *Gets popcorn preparing to watch somebody arguing that there are only 3 Star Wars films, and prepares to get surprised if somebody is going to start arguing that there are only 2 or 4 Star Wars films....*
Sign in to comment in this discussion.