What race is Clementine?

Comments

• I don't completely agree with this. CJ from GTA San Andreas is black and one of the most popular characters in the series as is Franklin from GTA 5. I think for the most part people just assume whites will have a problem with it.

flymoefly posted: »

Clementine is written as being full african american, but I think the decision was made to soften her features to make her more palatable to

• Maybe she's Arab/Persian? Or one of her parents might be.

• ''Yes there can be African and African American with no white mixture and still come out light skinned.''
    Yes but not as light as Clem and def. not with green eyes unless there is some white in them. And her mother clearly has a asian features.

You ask me ''So whats wrong with acknowledging Clementine as African american''
    Well, whats wrong with acknowledging her as biracial which she clearly is? Barack Obama and Halle Berry are both half white but you wont see them described like that anywhere and Clem is ligther than both of them, so dont give me that ''different shade of black'' argument when it is clear as day that she is biracial.

drea13 posted: »

Right and as you said "many African Americans have white and other in them". However dark or light skinned aka clementine mother. They still

• drea13drea13 Banned
    edited March 2014

So its her appearance. She doesn't look like what you consider African American. She doesn't have the features of what you consider an African American. So she can not be African American, she must be biracial. You just justified that clementine looks the way she looks because shes mixed. But in your first post you said alot of African Americans are mixed. Lee is African American,Tyrese is African American,Michonne is African American. Clementine mother is African American, her father is African American.

so dont give me that ''different shade of black'' argument

Don't give me this, don't act like this isn't true. You probably amazed that Clementine is light skinned, and doesn't' look african american. As I said before we come in all shades and we have different features.

Kartal5 posted: »

''Yes there can be African and African American with no white mixture and still come out light skinned.'' Yes but not as light as Clem and

• She's Krogan. No doubt.

• Unfortunately there's still no cure for the genophage :/

She's Krogan. No doubt.

• You're right , but it's PC to say black.. and kinda racist to say African American, not all black people came from Africa. There are white people and brown people that come from Africa too...

Half Asian, half African American.

• Hehe... whoops. ;)

Alt text

Rafoli posted: »

Unfortunately there's still no cure for the genophage

• Maybe, but CJ nor Franklin were the 'face' of their respective games. They were protagonists, but the wacky world of San Andreas is the star of the show. Contrast that to TWD where the focus is clearly on Clementine. Also, it could be argued that CJ and (to a lesser degree) Franklin are both portrayed as stereotypical black dudes, doing stereotypical black dude things, like slinging dope, shooting people and speaking in Ebonics. So it's really not a fair comparison.

rabscuttle1 posted: »

I don't completely agree with this. CJ from GTA San Andreas is black and one of the most popular characters in the series as is Franklin from GTA 5. I think for the most part people just assume whites will have a problem with it.

• I knew a couple of people who thought Clementine was white, when season 2 came out they lost their shit! Yeah, they were assholes.

• Amazing.

Hehe... whoops.

• Yeah... Mordin deserved to live anyway.

Amazing.

• Shit I'm still playing Mass Efect 2 o.O

Yeah... Mordin deserved to live anyway.

• Damn.
    Well i played ME3 Then played ME 2 so...
    Yeah. Mordins death didnt affect me that much.

Shit I'm still playing Mass Efect 2 o.O

• edited March 2014

Mordin's fast talking is hilarious. I miss Wrex though, mine was shot by Ash :(

Damn. Well i played ME3 Then played ME 2 so... Yeah. Mordins death didnt affect me that much.

• Oh sorry, ugh... spoiler alert?

Shit I'm still playing Mass Efect 2 o.O

• Spoiler much?

Oh sorry, ugh... spoiler alert?

• ... too much.

Spoiler much?

• Hey, if you start trolling you should expect this kind of shit. Get over it.

muhab posted: »

how its silly to talk about your mom in (game) hhhhhhhhh grow up

• Well, from the very beginning of seeing the title, that's exactly what i assumed.

People are rasist?

• edited March 2014

Alt text

she looks freak that's why people should not mix race

• edited March 2014

She's Dovahkiin!

Clem using Fus Do Rah = you're screwed.

Itachixwa posted: »

I think she's an argonian...

• My friend still swears that there is no way Clementine is black, that she has to be some sort of mix. She does look semi-white after all...

I knew a couple of people who thought Clementine was white, when season 2 came out they lost their shit! Yeah, they were assholes.

• I hadn't notice the darker skin tone in S2, but I did find it weird that Clem was supposed to be African American (I say African American not 'cause I'm a racist and I wish I wasn't, but because I don't think she can really be called black in season 1). Still, most black americans have some white blood and it can happen that they have a kid like Clementine.

I knew a couple of people who thought Clementine was white, when season 2 came out they lost their shit! Yeah, they were assholes.

• edited March 2014

Wildcard: Since Kirkman confirmed the zombies were caused by aliens maybe Clem's a starchild and part of their master plan.

• He hasn't really "confirmed" that, per sea. Its just a plot element he thought could be introduced in the comic.

Lemoncakes posted: »

Wildcard: Since Kirkman confirmed the zombies were caused by aliens maybe Clem's a starchild and part of their master plan.

• Wasnt there a picture of her parents in the house? Looked like her father was black and mother was asian or asian/hispanic.

her dad was black and im not sure but her mom looked African American too but lighter skinned

• whoosh

flymoefly posted: »

He hasn't really "confirmed" that, per sea. Its just a plot element he thought could be introduced in the comic.

• So she's a PC-gamer, just what I thought!

Juice-Box posted: »

Well part of the 16% master race of course! But she's considered African American on the wiki I think.

• What the hell is your problem? She's so pretty.

she looks freak that's why people should not mix race

• Its marketing. All of the characters in the game have a anime style look to them, but I don't know why Telltale even bothered to write her as African American at all. They couldn't depict her with non-caucasian features and still get most gamers to emotionally invest in the character. They could have done with Latina or Asian or something and we probably wouldn't even be talking about this right now.

But on the other hand, writing a story with a black murderer looking after and protecting a helpless little white girl might have caused a real shitstorm in mainstream media after the the game got some big time buzz when it won the VGA game of the year. The Limbaugh and Fox News types would have been collectively losing their fuckin minds LOL. In the end though, Clementines race only brings up insignificant conversations like these, which is what i'm sure Telltale wanted.

_Juice_Box_ posted: »

My friend still swears that there is no way Clementine is black, that she has to be some sort of mix. She does look semi-white after all...

• edited March 2014

]:(

Lemoncakes posted: »

whoosh

• TTG claimed that she is of African descendant but some people don't believe that she is completely black since Africans and even racemixed African Americans like Obama don't have light skin light her.

Ok here's a stupid question, but what the hell does it matter what her race is?.

• The whites in GTA are doing the same things. But you're right that comparing the two games isn't really fair. From my point of view, I'm Native American, I don't see why it would be all that hard for a white person to connect with a character of a different race. I do it every time I play a game.

BigBlindMax posted: »

Maybe, but CJ nor Franklin were the 'face' of their respective games. They were protagonists, but the wacky world of San Andreas is the sta

• All we do right now is guessing the answer.
    What is the point of questioning if there is no answer for that?

ClemRox posted: »

No. But I'm curious. XD

• I became curious so i searched some images of clementine. Apparently, the discussion here is common around teh webz. Alot of the fan art depicts her as white, so i guess she's sort of like Jesus now. Fitting, because Kenny's godlike mustache is also available for us to enjoy. We only need one more for the holy trinity.

• Yeah, I can't say I understand it either. I'm (mostly) White and grew up in a predominantly White area, but both Franklin and Lee are p two of my favorite video game characters.

rabscuttle1 posted: »

The whites in GTA are doing the same things. But you're right that comparing the two games isn't really fair. From my point of view, I'm Nat

• Black people com n different shades of color and features Clem is African-American and not mixed my lil cousin parents r both dark skin but she is light and as she got older her skin got darker

• dunno man,it is confusing no doubt,even her mom's relatives could be from Australasia region.

Ok does Samoan count as Asian in this context? I mean, isn't it part of the Australian continent? Also, don't Samoans look different from what most people mean when they say Asian? Man, this is so confusing...

• To quote Rick, "There's only dark meat and light meat."

This discussion has been closed.