What race is Clementine?

edited March 2014 in The Walking Dead

....the title....

Comments

• Half Asian, half African American.

• her dad was black and im not sure but her mom looked African American too but lighter skinned

• I've always thought she looked just plain African American. But recent threads have made me notice a bit of Asian in her. I believe you are correct!

Half Asian, half African American.

• Dont mean to sound rude, but does it actually matter?

• Oh boy, here we go.

• edited March 2014

She's arguably a Multiethnic "We-Are-the-World" Rainbow Child.

People will argue she's black and while this is most likely the original case TTG gave her a blackendectomy for a broader audience and never really addresses her ethnicity or race, which is a whole other can of worms. She even claims to be Sarah's sister to Carver when Carver has the polaroid of Sarah and Sarah's a Spaniard/White.

In closing, your thread is going to be closed in a few minutes.

• Lock this Please

• these dont last long and shes African american according to the the walking dead wikia

• She's a mix of African American and Asian.

• Why?

Lemoncakes posted: »

She's arguably a Multiethnic "We-Are-the-World" Rainbow Child. People will argue she's black and while this is most likely the original c

• These threads never end well, just saying.

• Um....why???? I was just curious. Hahaha

X3Holy3 posted: »

Lock this Please

• I always thought she was a mix of African American and Asian. Her skin is a bit dark, and you can tell that she kind of has Asian eyes.

• Thanks everyone! And I don't know why this would be locked or closed by the mods, but thanks everyone!

• No. But I'm curious. XD

Rylee posted: »

Dont mean to sound rude, but does it actually matter?

• TellTale actually changed Clementine's original race to match Lee's just to give the appearance to both players and characters alike that Clem was Lee's daughter.

• Her race is Clementine

• Her race is african-american, but her asian look is due to the art designer's daughter.

• edited March 2014

It's not your fault. I can see that you're just curious, but the reason why this thread will probably be locked down soon is because discussions about race in these forums never end that well, and the arguments about it in the comments section often just goes around in circles. Plus, it doesn't matter all that much anyways. We're only human when it comes down to it, which is emphasized in the zombie apocalypse genre.

Although again, it's not your fault. Don't worry. :)

ClemRox posted: »

Thanks everyone! And I don't know why this would be locked or closed by the mods, but thanks everyone!

• southeast asian

• edited March 2014

I'm pretty sure her dad was African American and her mom was half white half African American, or lighter skinned African American. I don't think her mother is Asian.

Picture for reference:

Alt text

• I love this picture! They look like a happy family & that's all that matters anyway...

Team_Purple posted: »

I'm pretty sure her dad was African American and her mom was half white half African American, or lighter skinned African American. I don't think her mother is Asian. Picture for reference:

• One reason why this comment is useless. Without reading The Walking Dead Wiki. because It specifically states she is full African American and not half anything.

Half Asian, half African American.

• Yeah, I think she is African American. I hope you all understand that I'm not a racist. I was just curious. :)

• What race is Becca? She's considered white, but looks darker than Clem. Maybe Clem is white too and was adopted?

• She is lighter than her dad and even mom.

I'm pretty sure her dad was African American and her mom was half white half African American, or lighter skinned African American. I don't think her mother is Asian. Picture for reference:

• god damn man this picture always gets me... why didn't clem take this pic with her when she left with Lee? those clothes look really comfy too ;_;

• edited March 2014

Maybe she just really hates the outdoors.

(but seriously usually a lot of kids start out looking lighter skinned than they actually are. Her skin even appears darker in season two. And given the circumstances, her looking washed-out isn't that far of a stretch)

Arrows posted: »

She is lighter than her dad and even mom.

• edited March 2014

OK, OK, I get it: you're pissed because of that little comment I made on your other thread.

But the thread was rather unnecessary. I could have said it on lighter terms, but what passed is passed.

Sorry if I came off a bit harsher than necessary, but I'm a smartass like that.

Ladariel posted: »

One reason why this comment is useless. Without reading The Walking Dead Wiki. because It specifically states she is full African American and not half anything.

• (?) Ladariel will remember that....

OK, OK, I get it: you're pissed because of that little comment I made on your other thread. But the thread was rather unnecessary. I cou

• edited March 2014

Clementine is black. Her parents were black. It doesn't matter what kind of traits you think she has because she and her parents were black. It does not matter and is the most trivial thing you could possibly discuss.

• African American

• It's a wiki, that means dang near anyone can edit it.

One reason why this comment is useless. Without reading The Walking Dead Wiki. because It specifically states she is full African American and not half anything.

• Man, I posted a thread like this a couple days ago, it got like fifty downvotes, and closed in the same hour it was posted. I guess "Clementine Race Discussion" Is not the proper way to word it.

• She's a pale skinned African American (not that rare in the US, if I'm not wrong). Telltale supposedly based her on some real-life kid (I think) who could've been white, so she looks white, and she was given big eyes to make her cute, and somehow they ended up looking Asian. But she's African American 'cause her parents are African American.

• Could be the creators that edited it, if anyone can edit it. Also just because anyone can edit it doesn't automatically mean it is a lie by default all the time. Could have been someone that knows the truth. And where else would you suggest to go and find out this sort of information about something that is fictional? Any VALID links you have available of a legitimate Walking Dead database? Unless you call up the overly busy Tell-Tale corporation and just ask, don't really know of a better way of finding the actual factual as though it mattered.

It's a wiki, that means dang near anyone can edit it.

• Well part of the 16% master race of course!
    But she's considered African American on the wiki I think.

• Well it's perfectly plausible that some genes show more than others. Odds are even the father is mixed race, depending on how their genes mix up they could end up with a light-skinned child. It happens in the real world so why not here.

Arrows posted: »

She is lighter than her dad and even mom.

• Oh I didn't know she was adopted.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator
    edited March 2014

This article pretty much confirms that her race is African American

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/12/26/creating-clementine.aspx

Lee Everett wasn’t Telltale’s first idea for a main character. Originally, Vanaman planned for Clementine to come from a single-parent household where Clementine’s brother took care of her due to her mother not being up for the task. With this idea, Clementine’s brother became the lead, but Vanaman decided a pre-existing relationship would be too much to ask a player to take on in The Walking Dead world. The decision led to them changing Clementine’s race because they wanted her to look like she could potentially be Lee’s daughter.

Could be the creators that edited it, if anyone can edit it. Also just because anyone can edit it doesn't automatically mean it is a lie by

This discussion has been closed.