The Name That Game Thread!!!

Okay so here's the deal with this thread: Give the general concept (but not too obvious if it's a well known game, and don't mention any character names or location names) to one of your favorite games, and the first person to get the answer right makes their own.If no one answers for a day or two, I'll start a new question.I'll start out with an easy one:

You are in a research lab.Catastrophy has struck and you're one of the only ones left.It's your job to make it out alive and stop this madness, and figure out what caused it.

If this is too hard I will give a few more hints to it, but it shouldn't be.

Comments

• edited September 2008
    Pinky and The Brain!
  • edited September 2008
    Zootch wrote: »
    Pinky and The Brain!

Were you serious about that or just joking?
  • edited September 2008
    ... so what I'm hearing is... I'm wrong

either that or Portal
  • edited September 2008
    Portal
    Close but no cigar.
  • edited September 2008
    Half-Life?
  • edited September 2008
    ShaggE wrote: »
    Half-Life?

You got it!
  • edited September 2008
    okay, since ShaggE isn't online right now, I'll start another one for the moment.

There are missles about to be launched on a usually-peaceful island.The people behind the organization who is launching these missles will go to drastic measures to kill you, and you, your partner (player 2 in co-op, CPU in 1-player), and a character you meet later in the game are the only ones fighting against it.In the game you fight through the lush landscapes of this island, fight a helicopter full of baddies on the boardwalk, and eventually work your way to the site and stop the launch.
  • edited September 2008
    Time Crisis 3
  • edited September 2008
    Time Crisis 3

nice.Your turn.
  • edited September 2008
    Ooo, I wanna play too. Okay, here's the concept.

As far back as your race can remember, your home has always been this desert planet, where the climate is so harsh that civilization can only thrive in the planet's temperate polar regions. Shortly after your race develops the technology to send satellites into orbit, the wreckage of an ancient starship is discovered in the desert wastes. Deep within the wreckage is a galactic map, etched in stone. A marker on the map points towards a system in the galaxy's inner core, and the label, written in a script older than civilization itself, is a single word, "Home."

Bonus Hint: You're also listening to Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings.

See if you can guess the game!
  • edited September 2008
    ^ Homeworld.

You are a convicted murderer, taken against your will into the world of snuff videos by a sadistic film maker. All you have to do is provide him with some choice footage. But as far as you're concerned, it's his turn to be the star.
  • edited September 2008
    ...My regular everday life?
    Just kidding
  • edited September 2008
    Manhunt perhaps?
  • edited September 2008
    ^ You got it.
  • edited September 2008
    A man is marooned in a strange and somewhat unproportional world.
    Now he has to rely on the competence of the inhabitants, which he seems to posses some kind of control over. Using these poor creatures, he tries to recover the lost parts of his broken spaceship.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    Haha, Pikmin.

I was going to do Pikmin 2 but lazily closed the window a half hour ago.
  • edited September 2008
    Oh, time for me to try this with my all-time favorite game EVER.

An anthropomorphic dog and rabbity-thing.....

....No.....

....You're a Peasant with tight pants, who must get revenge for his thatched-roof cottage getting burninated--

...No. =p

My REAL all-time favorite game, is THIS:

You start out on a boat, freed from imprisonment and finding yourself on your way to this island province thanks to the request of the Emperor. You're given nothing but your freedom and a package to deliver to a man living in one of the larger cities in the province.

At this point, you find yourself able to do any number of things, from getting heavily involved with local politics, becoming the errand boy of dark Gods, becoming a pilgrim for the Chapel, thieving every person in sight, or simply looting for treasure in many underground dungeons.

Or, if you're willing, you can take that package to the man in the city. And should you continue down this path, you will set off a chain of events that will have you realize your destiny, leading you to take down a malevolent demigod that has blighted the landscape.

Name.
    That.
    Game.
  • edited September 2008
    Morrowind?

I only happen to know (or think I know) this because I walked in on my bro watching a speedrun of it the other day d:
  • edited September 2008
    I Guess garfield...
  • edited September 2008
    Aw crap! my brain got stuck! :(
  • edited September 2008
    Definitely Morrowind.

Here's another game, but I can only say so much before it becomes blatantly obvious...

You awaken in your bedroom, and the light is off. Almost every attempt to leave the dark room results in the wall jostling you rather rudely. The real adventure begins when you realize you need to turn the light on in order to do anything. You also have no tea.

Name that game!
  • edited September 2008
    I keep thinking... Hitchhiker Galaxy or something...
  • edited September 2008
    I keep thinking... Hitchhiker Galaxy or something...

You keep thinking... right or something... yep!

Next game!

The space race was actually a coverup for a massive military campaign in space. The Soviets and the Americans have launched fleets of hovering tanks and bombers into space to be deployed on the surfaces of the moon, Mars, Venus, and other planets in our solar system. They're searching for alien relics, left behind by a race of beings whose planet's destruction resulted in the asteroid belt.

Name that game!
  • edited September 2008
    Cant think.....

my turn!

youre under arrest and you must get out. find stinky stupid objects. and a effigy will be burned.

name that game!
  • edited September 2008
    *Bump*
  • edited September 2008
    wild guess: Starcontrol
  • edited September 2008
    natlinxz wrote: »
    wild guess: Starcontrol

Afraid not, and seeing as how nobody else has guessed since then, the answer is Battlezone. Your turn!
  • edited October 2008
    i'll go then

you manage a small patch of land where you can grow plants, and breed animals, mexican treats are involved, and no money is involved, besides who needs money when you have chocolate.

go on then.
  • edited October 2008
    Harvest Moon!
  • edited October 2008
    Viva Piñata.
  • edited October 2008
    Harvest Moon 64!
  • edited October 2008
    Badwolf wrote: »
    Viva Piñata.
    I've never played it, but I'm going to go with the same thing here, what with the hint of Mexican treats being involved.
  • edited October 2008
    Badwolf wrote: »
    Viva Piñata.

correct
  • edited October 2008
    Hoorah! I'll take another turn!
    A space station 'zoo' containing robotic animals which disappeared years ago has suddenly returned... on a collision course with Earth! It's up to a lazy slob who never leaves the comfort of his spaceship and his robot pal to solve bizarre puzzles and prevent the destruction of Earth! Name that game!
  • edited October 2008
    A space station 'zoo' containing robotic animals which disappeared years ago has suddenly returned... on a collision course with Earth! It's up to a lazy slob who never leaves the comfort of his spaceship and his robot pal to solve bizarre puzzles and prevent the destruction of Earth! Name that game!

i know it but ive got to go to a lecture like now
  • edited October 2008

Oh, Oh! I know! Its "Space Station Silicon Valley!"
  • edited October 2008
    vyperspit wrote: »
    Oh, Oh! I know! Its "Space Station Silicon Valley!"

Congrats! That's correct! I'll go again, because I love this game!

The old king who had ruled an entire continent has died, and the king's two sons each vie for the crown. The chaotic son orchestrates a series of events that lead to the exiling of the lawful son, who then begins a rebellion to take back the crown and unite the continent under a lawful rule. Regardless of whose banner you choose to fly, you'll control armies of mystical creatures, under the command of roving heroes. Choosing to serve the chaotic son allows you to control the three "evil" town alignments, while choosing the lawful son allows you to control the three "good" town alignments. The canonical ending is the victory of lawful son over the chaotic son.

Name that game!
  • edited October 2008
    Congrats! That's correct! I'll go again, because I love this game!

The old king who had ruled an entire continent has died, and the king's two sons each vie for the crown. The chaotic son orchestrates a series of events that lead to the exiling of the lawful son, who then begins a rebellion to take back the crown and unite the continent under a lawful rule. Regardless of whose banner you choose to fly, you'll control armies of mystical creatures, under the command of roving heroes. Choosing to serve the chaotic son allows you to control the three "evil" town alignments, while choosing the lawful son allows you to control the three "good" town alignments. The canonical ending is the victory of lawful son over the chaotic son.

Name that game!

I want to say Ogre Battle but I don't know which one.
  • edited October 2008
    I love this game!

Good, because I'm gonna need some funding to.......you know........keep this thread running.......So you can send the money in small bills to my doorstep.
    But pretend it's a blueberry pie!Actually, just to be safe, you better put an actual blueberry pie in there, too.
  • edited October 2008
    I want to say Ogre Battle but I don't know which one.

A good guess, but unfortunately wrong. You're in the right genre, just the wrong game series. (I love Ogre Battle by the way...)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.