Details that people might forget, don't notice or just don't know about The Walking Dead

Comments

• edited March 2018

This probably doesn't belong here, but I'll say it anyway: figuring out how every determinate factor works and how they should reasonably affect the game/story is a continuous, mind-taxing process.

• If you mean its a mind-taxing process for the Devs I think that would just be incorrect.

Half the time when an episode release the whole community already breaks down how easy choices could have had an impact in the episode, just hours after the release.

DabigRG posted: »

This probably doesn't belong here, but I'll say it anyway: figuring out how every determinate factor works and how they should reasonably affect the game/story is a continuous, mind-taxing process.

• Here's the thing though: there are multiple developers who pitch the ideas and possibilities to each other, discuss it, and then have to see if they can fit it in without having to overly alter the basis of the scene(s) that the material is being inserted into, if it gets that far.

Also, there's a difference between missing an opportunity because it was difficult to put in and missing an opportunity because of laziness/ignorance(?).

Poogers555 posted: »

If you mean its a mind-taxing process for the Devs I think that would just be incorrect. Half the time when an episode release the whole

• edited March 2018

Well that is half the issue, Telltale seems to hate the idea of keeping the same people on for the entire project constantly adding and dropping people to the team, making games feel messy because its a mix of ideas. And again, the community has found plenty of ways to add a more interesting outcome to a choice, that overall still leads to the same scenario. For choices in Telltale games now, it seems like its either forgotten or a single line is changed with no consequence. It isnt like Telltale is incapable of this either, Tales from the Borderlands is a great example that Telltale can go beyond this. Tales from the Borderlands didnt miss opportunities because it was difficult to put in, they put it in because it enhanced the game, they didnt take the easy and lazy way of "This is hard to implement so we wont do it" which is what Telltale seems to do all the time now.

Here's the thing though: there are multiple developers who pitch the ideas and possibilities to each other, discuss it, and then have to see

• That's true but that doesn't give Telltale an excuse to not strive to be exemplary in the niche they have decided to base their entire company around. It is Telltale's responsibility to make the player feel like an active and crucial participant in how the narrative unfolds. That is how they have molded virtually all of their modern game design ethos so that is how their games should be judged, regardless of how time and resource consuming it is to live up to the consumer's expectations.

• True enough.
    Of course, there should still be some prudence regarding how much they let the thoughts of consumers affect the story they're trying to tell.

Cocoa2736 posted: »

That's true but that doesn't give Telltale an excuse to not strive to be exemplary in the niche they have decided to base their entire compa

• Okay, I'd like to amend this now that I've had a chance to go back to it, for Gabe is not the issue here: it's Conrad.

After the two cars stopped on opposite ends of a two-way turn, Conrad apparently walked around the others(behind the camera man) to stare back down the way they came for understandable reasons.

Then, after Gabe considers shooting him and runs off for a little time to cool off, Conrad suddenly teleports to be backing against Tripp's van sobbing to himself.

After Gabe has his intense moment with Conrad on the road, he turns around and runs off away from the others. But when Clementine goes to check on him after telling the others about Richmond, he's back by the back of the station wagon.

• edited March 2018

Huh. Well that season had it's share of issues.

• I'm gonna assume you're talking to me. After editing posts, remember to refresh the page before moving on.

And yeah, it does have a fair share of em.

Johro posted: »

Huh. Well that season had it's share of issues.

• Yeah, I posted in the wrong place and then just decided to make it work anyway. Victim of too many tabs.

• I'm pretty sure Alvin Jr.'s model was imported directly into A New Frontier for Jane's flashback.
    enter image description here

Also, anyone else noticed Clementine's sleeves before?

• Courtesy of the Bossman, this is how you make a redneck happy.

Episode 1
    Save Duck = 2 points
    Side with Kenny over Larry = 1.5 points

Episode 2
    Don't pick Lilly's side = 0.75 points
    Help kill Larry = 1.5 points

Episode 3
    Don't shoot the girl on the street = 0.75 points
    Don't pick Lilly's side. = 0.75 points
    Shoot Duck = 2 points

Episode 4
    Kill the zombie boy = 0.75 points
    Drop Ben = 2 points

>

If you get 9 or higher, Kenny will come with you no matter what.
    If you get higher than 4 but less than 9, you'll have to convince Kenny to come with you.
    If you get 4 or less, Kenny won't come with you.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited March 2018

So I got bored, and I got thinking about something: Clementine's dog bite. Everyone gives that scene shit. How could you confuse a dog bite with a human bite, right?

Some few years ago, I made a post talking about how under the right circumstances, a human bite could end up looking similar to Clementine's bite. But this time, I decided to put that to the test via the in-game models.

So without further ado, here we have Clementine's bite. Just the regular, plain old bite:

Let's add a pair of zombie teeth to that image, for the sake of scale:

And how about the dog's teeth, too?:

So those images give us some sense of scale here. Worth noting that these are not resized. These are more or less the same sizes these models appear in game, at least in proportion to each other. But we can do better.

Here's the bite from over head. Gives you an idea of the length:

Now let's add the zombie teeth over that:

Now as you can tell, the bite and the mouth don't quite line up. But as it would turn out, the dog bite doesn't line up much better, either:

However, do keep in mind that Clementine's bite wasn't uniform. It wasn't just a simple chomp. That dog was thrashing her arm all over. Now I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure if you got bit by an animal and it started thrashing about, it'd tear the wound open even more, leading to a bit looking more like Clementine's.

Usually, a dog's teeth aren't the same size/shape as a human's. But in the case of the game, the difference isn't as apparent:

But beyond that, another thing to keep in mind is that Clementine is still a kid. She's smaller than the average adult, right? In theory, that would make the bite appear larger in relation to the rest of her arm. So let's compare her bite to two other bitten characters:

Here, we have three different bites from three different characters: Rufus, Clementine, and Sarita. Again, all of these are accurate scale. Clementine's bite is still slightly longer than the other two, but the size difference isn't all that huge when put next to one another. It also helps demonstrate different bite types: Rufus got a uniform bite where the walker seemed to chomp down and let go. Sarita had part of her skin torn off by the teeth. And Clementine's bite is very fine, almost looking more like a bad cut than a bite.

However, I still think that depending exactly on how the walker bit down, such a bite shape could feasibly happen. Say Clementine has her hand extended out in front of her. A zombie shows up, and she gets bit. In a quick panic, she tries to rip her arm back towards her, causing the flesh to get slightly torn from left to right:

Provided that only the walker's front teeth managed to break the skin, I believe it could leave a similar shape. Of course, that's just speculation on my part. I ain't about to go ask a friend to bite me to test this for myself or something.

So yeah, mistaking Clementine's bite for a walker bite, given the particular circumstances doesn't seem completely stupid. Her bite didn't exactly occur under normal circumstances, and while we know what a human bite might look like, remember that we're talking about zombies here: they're dead and they're falling apart, so there's a good chance they'll have missing/misshapen teeth, which could lead to all kinds of interesting looking bites depending on how they get a hold of you.

And of course, the proportions of the game world aren't going to be 1:1 to how it works in the real world. But under the game's proportions/scale in particular, the chances of a zombie bite ending up resembling an animal bite seems like it'd be higher. But that's just me. You guys can make your own sense of all this.

Oh, and I also searched around and found this little article about human vs animal bites. It has a few images of a human bite vs a dog bite. All things considered, while there are differences, I could buy an untrained eye not being able to tell the immediate difference. Especially since the chances of getting bit that cleanly isn't all that high.

• Amazing.

Deltino posted: »

So I got bored, and I got thinking about something: Clementine's dog bite. Everyone gives that scene shit. How could you confuse a dog bite

• edited March 2018

uh huh... have you posted anything this extensive before? I knew you'd been into the game files but I didn't know you were doing crazy stuff with the models...

So I got bored, and I got thinking about something: Clementine's dog bite. Everyone gives that scene shit. How could you confuse a dog bite

• edited March 2018

I still don't know what you have to do get lee to tell kenny "go fuck yourself" but have kenny say that while he won't go with lee, he will wait for him and clem with the boat.

Courtesy of the Bossman, this is how you make a redneck happy. Episode 1 Save Duck = 2 points Side with Kenny over Larry = 1.5 p

Maybe in the past, I dunno. And this isn't really crazy, per se. Just import some teeth, some arms, slap the textures on and boom.

Louche posted: »

uh huh... have you posted anything this extensive before? I knew you'd been into the game files but I didn't know you were doing crazy stuff with the models...

• well, it's crazy when I've been whining about wanting to play around with the models and game files since ever
    I feel so stupid.

Maybe in the past, I dunno. And this isn't really crazy, per se. Just import some teeth, some arms, slap the textures on and boom.

Looking at the models isn't the tough part... setting everything up first, learning your way around a 3D modeling program so you can actually look at the models? Well, that part's definitely a process. Honestly, it's more trouble than it's worth, and I'd recommend against it unless you got a good amount of free time, or an extremely keen interest in this stuff. The main reason I taught myself to do it was so I could spare everyone else the trouble of learning how to do it. But if you want a closer look at something in particular, feel free to PM me about it and I'll see what I can do. And if you really want to take the plunge, I could try to put together a little guide on it. But I've self-taught myself a good portion of this, so I'm not sure how much help I'd be.

well, it's crazy when I've been whining about wanting to play around with the models and game files since ever I feel so stupid.

• If you have the internet there is some models available to download from vgResource.

well, it's crazy when I've been whining about wanting to play around with the models and game files since ever I feel so stupid.

• Have we just witnessed the end to a controversy?

• You just leaped at the chance to gross us out with those teeth, didn't ya? :joy:

But wow, that always was sorta my logic regarding Clementine's bite, but I never thought it'd actually get tested and/or proven. Good job!

• Yeah, I know that scene does get hate, but I can understand why the characters would think that way.

Your fact-checking was useful!
    The way I interpret it: the survivors are just very cautious. If you saw a bite like that, wouldn't you think it's from a walker? Better to be safe than sorry. The dog bit her at an angle, I think, so that's why it's so wide. Plus, as you said, a bite mixed with a lot of thrashing should cause some serious damage to one's arm. It could have ripped more than it should have, and that seems to be Clem's case.

iFoRias posted: »

Amazing.

• Yeah, pretty much.
    Carlos actually does have a few different lines and animations during that scene where he's nicer and/or does consider the possibility of it being a dog bite if you tell him, but ultimately rules that they need to be sure she didn't get infected by the walkers.

AChicken posted: »

Yeah, I know that scene does get hate, but I can understand why the characters would think that way. Your fact-checking was useful! The

• Looks like you have to pay or trade something for models

mister_sij posted: »

If you have the internet there is some models available to download from vgResource.

• The problem is that the dialogue is poorly written. They should have had Carlos clarify it was too ragged to identify what sort of teeth bit her.

AChicken posted: »

Yeah, I know that scene does get hate, but I can understand why the characters would think that way. Your fact-checking was useful! The

• Thanks for your response. Though honestly I can't remember what I really want to look for, there's so much to think about. I doubt that any program would work on my computer, that's the thing.

Looking at the models isn't the tough part... setting everything up first, learning your way around a 3D modeling program so you can actuall

• The problem is that the dialogue is poorly written

How so, aside from the given point?

The problem is that the dialogue is poorly written. They should have had Carlos clarify it was too ragged to identify what sort of teeth bit her.

• Not to fuel that cut's saltiness, but apparently the Junkyard was a parking lot for the Slaughterhouse.

• Clementine's Season 2 color scheme was apparently inspired by Michelle.

• Damn, crew looking like they're about to drop the hottest mixtape of 2018

Clementine's Season 2 color scheme was apparently inspired by Michelle.

• How so?

Does the fact that people are still complaining about carlos' decision not prove it already?

The problem is that the dialogue is poorly written How so, aside from the given point?

• Not really.

Especially considering the subject of the situation and their rep.

How so? Does the fact that people are still complaining about carlos' decision not prove it already?

edited March 2018

I know this has been posted in the past, but here's some old gold:

At the beginning of the game, when you're in the back of the police car, you hear the scanner giving off messages. The police codes mentioned are actually real police codes being used, which gives you an idea of how the outbreak is beginning to occur:

We've got what looks like a 10-91e (animal, bite) near Peachtree Exit of 285. All cars asked to keep on the lookout for a 91v (animal, vicious) in the area.

A presumed animal bite was reported, with the dispatcher asking other officers to be on the lookout for any suspicious animals. Obviously, this is implied to have been a walker bite, and not an animal bite.

Be advised of medical personnel on route to Hartsfield, various 10's and 20's (code 10 and code 20, critical & acute trauma cases) coming in.

In reference to grievous wounds inflicted by zombies, and the medical personnel assigned to the cases.

Riot in progress. All officers are available for incoming 217's (assault with intent to murder). Rolling calls and dispatches to all locations.

Zombie attacks, mistakenly believed to be rioting with an intent to kill.

Be advised, we have a 10-55 (coroner case) DUI (driving under influence) reported--

This one is in the beginning of Vince's story in 400 Days. This one is referencing a driver, under the influence of something, who died on the scene. Coroner cases are usually for when a victim dies from unknown/unnatural causes. This is the cause of the traffic jam that the prison bus is stuck in.

• edited March 2018

Here's something worth noting I rediscovered while doing "research" a few months ago: You remember that moment in Ties that Bind Part 1, when Javier asks Gabe to come with him when he seems the ladder in the Junkyard, Kate takes the time to tell the kid to stay close to Javi, and then looks on with a concerned look as they climb to a separate area?

There's more hub after that.

I say that because do you know how much interaction you get with Gabe during that two screen section? N. O. N. E. I mean, I was astonished to see that they bothered to include that section and did jackshit with it character-wise.

Do you know how much he actually does period during that section? Two things: briefly running up in the background when Javier is surprised that a walker popping out and peering into the window of the car next to Max's trailer in the second screen.

The rest of the time, he just idly stands there facing away from Javier with no prompt to interact with him. Javier might as well be talking to his imaginary friend there cause Gabe doesn't even appear to react to when he says something and doesn't even budge when Javier is crawling underneath the trailer before teleporting to be alongside him in the following cutscene.

This is like Sarah by The Bridge all over again-- there's no fucking excuse for this!

• Shit, Sarah at the bridge hub huh? I haven't seen that one mentioned before, but it always annoys me too. Also that you can't eavesdrop on what Luke and Carlos are saying.
    Plus Nick makes no sense in that scene because he still gets his spirits regained even if you don't give him pete's watch, therefore making the watch even more pointless than it already is.

Here's something worth noting I rediscovered while doing "research" a few months ago: You remember that moment in Ties that Bind Part 1, whe

• Now that was a cool post. Thanks.

I know this has been posted in the past, but here's some old gold: At the beginning of the game, when you're in the back of the police ca

• edited March 2018

And that's all in one section of the Best Episode of Season 2, mind you.

When this series really started to fall, it fuckin plummet!

Shit, Sarah at the bridge hub huh? I haven't seen that one mentioned before, but it always annoys me too.

And it's not like she's just catching a powernap or watching a deer threesome or something--she's literally just sitting there Indian-style with no prompt, despite the fact that there's perfectly good material for a true dialogue menu that's incredibly obvious.

Also that you can't eavesdrop on what Luke and Carlos are saying.

That's almost as annoying/lazy.

Plus Nick makes no sense in that scene because he still gets his spirits regained even if you don't give him pete's watch, therefore making the watch even more pointless than it already is.

Yeah, that is weird.

Shit, Sarah at the bridge hub huh? I haven't seen that one mentioned before, but it always annoys me too. Also that you can't eavesdrop on w

• Seeing as how we completely agree... there's really nothing more to say. :p

And that's all in one section of the Best Episode of Season 2, mind you. When this series really started to fall, it fuckin plummet!

• Here's some code for the Clementine's Hat and Meeting Sam stuff.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.