Details that people might forget, don't notice or just don't know about The Walking Dead

Comments

• edited May 2018

Okay, so apparently, that early deleted scene involving Mariana's Walker was actually in the Slaughterhouse. Specifically, it would have happened before the sequence where Max died.

EDIT: D'oh! Okay, addendum: It WAS [likely] in the Slaughterhouse in the earlier versions of the story, but the scene was moved/reworked to take place behind the trailer in junkyard later on. Of course, this fully built scene was later axed altogether in favor of reworking the story to give the player more time with the family before Mariana died

• edited May 2018

'Oh she's out there. Dead.

I realized that's the obvious conclusion, but idk--the prospect is just interesting. Even if the inherent Sapphire similarity is still unfortunate either way.

It's a wonder they didn't tear each other to pieces.

Considering Jake blasted one bandit several times for admitting to eating his food, it was indeed an occasional occurrence.

Louche posted: »

Oh she's out there. Dead. She could be a walker though. No telling if bandits know about the headshot thing. They seem pretty stupid honestly. It's a wonder they didn't tear each other to pieces.

• Well if there’s any better time than any to reintroduce this type of sequence, then the Final Season is it. I hope they do it.

But does anybody remember on one of the early title arts for episode 1 of A New Frontier Sandra’s Walker was among the other walkers? They later took her out.

I made a video covering all the cut audio from the Sandra flashback, a good portion (no dialogue though) are still in the files! To back it up, here's some lines that the game spews out while it's playing.

• Oh yeah, I remember that. Thought it was incredibly weird(and possibly lazy) at the time.

Lilacsbloom posted: »

Well if there’s any better time than any to reintroduce this type of sequence, then the Final Season is it. I hope they do it. But does a

• Well, I mean how many bandits are there? How many different camps are there?

Anyway, Jolene implies she's dead subtly, "one way or another, she'll come back"
    she means that she will find her even if she's a zombie

DabigRG posted: »

'Oh she's out there. Dead. I realized that's the obvious conclusion, but idk--the prospect is just interesting. Even if the inherent

• Well, I mean how many bandits are there? How many different camps are there?

There were at the very least 20 that we see.
    There's bound to be either more than one or a really big local area for them to hang out at.

Anyway, Jolene implies she's dead subtly, "one way or another, she'll come back"

she means that she will find her even if she's a zombie
    She might've been. It...was not really clear.

Well, I mean how many bandits are there? How many different camps are there? Anyway, Jolene implies she's dead subtly, "one way or another, she'll come back" she means that she will find her even if she's a zombie

• I've only just seen this because I haven't been paying too much attention.

• edited May 2018

It...was not really clear.

That's what I've been saying about the whole bandit subplot this whole time

Well, I mean how many bandits are there? How many different camps are there? There were at the very least 20 that we see. There's

• Eh. I mean there's enough exposition and details dripped here and there to get a general understanding of what the Bandits were about, with the St John's and Ben providing more personal collusions, but I guess I can understand that.

It...was not really clear. That's what I've been saying about the whole bandit subplot this whole time

• Now why did they remove the line about the bandits raping Ben's classmates, but have Kenny sarcastically joke about the bandits coming in to rape their women and children in "Starved for Help"

Eh. I mean there's enough exposition and details dripped here and there to get a general understanding of what the Bandits were about, with the St John's and Ben providing more personal collusions, but I guess I can understand that.

• Because "WittyKennyDialogue!" is more important than main character backstory and/or motivation--Duh!

Now why did they remove the line about the bandits raping Ben's classmates, but have Kenny sarcastically joke about the bandits coming in to rape their women and children in "Starved for Help"

• I didn't know if this had been posted before.
    Also I 'm not sure where to post it, honestly.

• Pretty sure someone stated the sham line is still in the game at some point. Christa and Lee reacting to the radio is also in the next time segment.
    0:36 Someone farted
    Carley not givin a shit.
    Kinda like Clementine being there, with that camera angle.
    Even moodier Kenny.

I didn't know if this had been posted before. Also I 'm not sure where to post it, honestly.

• Luke's beta model on All That Remain's menu card was a placeholder for Winston.

• To be fair, I don't think there's really any reason to have had the discussion of Clementine being adopted in the game. I don't think it takes away from the role of her parents in Season One or deteriorates any portion of the canon as we know it, it's just a little fun fact from the writers, believe it or not but even to this day, many writers, especially novel authors still add to the lore of their stories, not to change any aspect of the story, but sometimes to provide extra context that they may have chosen to leave out or found unimportant to the story.

Poogers555 posted: »

No because his original idea about Clem's mom being her step mom was "closed doored" like you said, meaning players would not know this info

• I hope Telltale does the same for the many underutilized and underappreciated characters and settings one day.

prink34320 posted: »

To be fair, I don't think there's really any reason to have had the discussion of Clementine being adopted in the game. I don't think it tak

• Yeah, the sham line is in the game. What that video has an alternate take/reading of it.
    The one in the game is actually a lot angrier and aggressive sounding, if you can believe it.
    Also, that line makes gives Lee's "you want to hurt people because you're afraid" bit a little more context. Cuz wow, that is a fucking dick comment.

kinda like clementine being there

Yeah, that's interesting. Would it have changed her opinion of Ben? Also note obviously that ben and (off-screen) Lee's conversation is happening at the house instead of in crawford.

even moodier kenny

Remember the promo pic that shows Kenny sitting on the train drinking?
    I think they toned down kenny's angst for fear of it being too much of a downer.
    Which bothers me. Kenny's drinking is almost played for laughs in the episode. But look at this promo picture and see how he's feeling:

One of the things that bothers me in episode 4 is that cheesy-ass opening where they're sneaking around. I wish it had opened up with them at the train, discussing what to do next. Tone is a problem with episode 4, I've said this before many times on the forum.

Pretty sure someone stated the sham line is still in the game at some point. Christa and Lee reacting to the radio is also in the next time

• edited May 2018

Question: what trailer from Season 2 started the whole "Still. Not. Bitten." craze? I remember it was in some sort of trailer but can find it for the life of me. Some people during S2's run purposely opted against picking that line solely because they heard it's popularity.

• Yeah, the sham line is in the game. What that video has an alternate take/reading of it.
    The one in the game is actually a lot angrier and aggressive sounding, if you can believe it.

Oh, okay. Sounds about right. Multiple takes are indeed a good practice.

Also, that line makes gives Lee's "you want to hurt people because you're afraid" bit a little more context. Cuz wow, that is a fucking dick comment.

Yeah, seriously. As if Season 2's execution and rendering wasn't awkward enough.

Yeah, that's interesting. Would it have changed her opinion of Ben?

Maybe, maybe not. She didn't too fazed by him saying that.
    Kinda like with Carley/Doug's death...

Also note obviously that ben and (off-screen) Lee's conversation is happening at the house instead of in crawford.

I feel like it could've been better placed there, honestly.

Remember the promo pic that shows Kenny sitting on the train drinking?
    But look at this promo picture and see how he's feeling:

Holy shit, I didn't even notice him there!

I think they toned down kenny's angst for fear of it being too much of a downer.
    Which bothers me. Kenny's drinking is almost played for laughs in the episode.

It's an angry redneck from Florida gettin drunk. They probably just threw up their hands and said "lets have some fun now before they get where they're going."
    But yeah, in hindsight, it is a bit of a leap from how depressing Episode 3 and earlier scenes were.

One of the things that bothers me in episode 4 is that cheesy-ass opening where they're sneaking around. I wish it had opened up with them at the train, discussing what to do next.

Yeah, it really is. This moment in particular is notable over the top.

Tone is a problem with episode 4, I've said this before many times on the forum.

Is it now?

Yeah, the sham line is in the game. What that video has an alternate take/reading of it. The one in the game is actually a lot angrier and

• eRock92 posted: »

Question: what trailer from Season 2 started the whole "Still. Not. Bitten." craze? I remember it was in some sort of trailer but can fin

• edited May 2018

Yeah, seriously. As if Season 2's execution and rendering wasn't awkward enough.

wait, what?

Maybe, maybe not. She didn't too fazed by him saying that. Kinda like with Carley/Doug's death...

Season 2 should have been dealing with that. In the first season it was implied she was keeping it all bottled up

I feel like it could've been better placed there, honestly.

Maybe. Eh. I always enjoy dramatic-staring-out-window-conversations so yeah.

But yeah, in hindsight, it is a bit of a leap from how depressing Episode 3 and earlier scenes were.

I feel like we're missing a climax, we've got build-up, but not a single moment where Kenny really snaps and vents all his grief. The closest thing is his rant to Ben at Crawford.

Yeah, it really is. This moment in particular is notable over the top.

Jesus, yeah. I mean what was that? It looks like a the cheesiest trailer shot ever. They might as well have started playing the scooby doo theme as they started running.
    And Chuck's sacrifice ends up feeling really melodramatic.
    It feels like a tv soap opera or something at times. Yeesh.

Yeah, the sham line is in the game. What that video has an alternate take/reading of it. The one in the game is actually a lot angrier an

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

The only trailer I specifically remember using that line was the episode 5 trailer/season recap.

But I think the craze started from the fact that the achievement you get after killing the shed walker is "Still. Not. Bitten", which kinda prompts people to choose that option as a result.

eRock92 posted: »

Question: what trailer from Season 2 started the whole "Still. Not. Bitten." craze? I remember it was in some sort of trailer but can fin

• wait, what?

How Kenny was implemented/integrated into the released story. Particularly with how certain people try to claim Season 2 was just as much about Clementine and her 'further' developing relationship/friendship with him.

Season 2 should have been dealing with that. In the first season it was implied she was keeping it all bottled up

Indeed. It even kinda felt like they were building up to that at times.

Maybe. Eh. I always enjoy dramatic-staring-out-window-conversations so yeah.

Inventive terminology there. :lol:

I feel like we're missing a climax, we've got build-up, but not a single moment where Kenny really snaps and vents all his grief. The closest thing is his rant to Ben at Crawford.

Maybe they were just saving it up for that moment to hit extra hard.

Jesus, yeah. I mean what was that? It looks like a the cheesiest trailer shot ever.

That's exactly what it fucking is!

They might as well have started playing the scooby doo theme as they started running.

Wow, what a surprisingly synergytic impression! :lol:

And Chuck's sacrifice ends up feeling really melodramatic.

Gotta go out(?) this heartfelt badass.
    Even if you're an alcoholic hobo we met yesterday.

It feels like a tv soap opera or something at times. Yeesh.

Guess this whole game series is guilty of dipping into that.

Yeah, seriously. As if Season 2's execution and rendering wasn't awkward enough. wait, what? Maybe, maybe not. She didn't too

• Really? Man... I guess Season 2 really was that long ago, huh. I could of sworn we knew about that line before the game began. Oh well. I thought of something that I was gonna post in here but then this came to mind, thus why I posted it here.

Deltino posted: »

The only trailer I specifically remember using that line was the episode 5 trailer/season recap. But I think the craze started from the f

• edited May 2018

There are times when Season 2 feels like it's a sequel to an alternate season 1.
    A season 1 where Kenny and Clementine were close, where Lee actually sacrificed himself to save clementine, where she didn't like ben very much, etc
    Just little retcons here and there

Indeed. It even kinda felt like they were building up to that at times.

To be fair to season 2, season 1 didn't have to end so abruptly.

Inventive terminology there. :lol:

Thank you, I know. Stick around, I got lots more.

Maybe they were just saving it up for that moment to hit extra hard.

It might hit harder if it were animated better, just saying...

That's exactly what it fucking is!

Was it in the trailer? Because if it wasn't I will flip
    They might as well have started playing the scooby doo theme as they started running.

Gotta go out(?) this heartfelt badass. Even if you're an alcoholic hobo we met yesterday.

Too little screentime plus they didn't really populate the streets with enough walkers to make it believable that he got trapped. Limited graphics I guess.

Guess this whole game series is guilty of dipping into that.

I suppose you're right. Season 2's second half is kinda like that too, isn't it? Meanwhile, it's like ALL of ANF.

wait, what? How Kenny was implemented/integrated into the released story. Particularly with how certain people try to claim Season 2

• Ok. Here's one I just discovered. In Season 2 "All That Remains," we have the *"Still. Not. Bitten." scene. After Carlos says that he'll look at Clem's arm, Luke has his wonderful awkward moment where he, of all things, asks Clem if she's hungry (not complaining, I liked that little line). In the original version, Clem just stands there for a moment and walks off.

In the remastered edition however, Clem actually nods to Luke.

Now I prefer the original because I more matches Clem's exhaustion and annoyance with the whole situation as well as makes Luke comment even more awkward. When she nods in the remastered version, it takes away from the tension in the scene. Sure the original has a very slight head movement that can be interpreted as a head nod, but the remaster makes it very obvious.

• There are times when Season 2 feels like it's a sequel to an alternate season 1.
    A season 1 where Kenny and Clementine were close, where Lee actually sacrificed himself to save clementine, where she didn't like ben very much, etc
    Just little retcons here and there

That's a good point.
    Like I've been saying, it feels like Telltale were playing to the crowd more than a little too much in subsequent Seasons/Installments.

To be fair to season 2, season 1 didn't have to end so abruptly.

I suppose.

It might hit harder if it were animated better, just saying...

Yeah, Season 1 had some really stilted animations, even for a Telltale game.
    Kenny's determinant "fight" with Larry is another example of this.

Was it in the trailer? Because if it wasn't I will flip

Yes, it was. I was trying to pull it up earlier, but my laptop has been pretty bad with videos today.

they didn't really populate the streets with enough walkers to make it believable that he got trapped. Limited graphics I guess.

Probably so. I remember being a little confused about how Ben and Clementine got surrounded TWICE. At least when I didn't have to deal with the shitty gun controls.

I suppose you're right. Season 2's second half is kinda like that too, isn't it?

Damn straight. Between the Lifetime-Movie-of-the-Week Principal Plot between Alvin, Rebecca, and Carver, Jane's attempts to be tragic, Kenny&Sarah gettin really philosophical and self-reflective, and Arvo wishing he and Clementine could've met differently, there's definitely an air of melodrama.

Meanwhile, it's like ALL of ANF.

Uh....

Season 2 should have been dealing with that. In the first season it was implied she was keeping it all bottled up There are times wh

edited May 2018

Interestingly enough, the remastered version is actually how the scene was supposed to play out. Clementine was meant to nod in the original version, but the animation didn't play properly, leading to her just awkwardly standing there. This isn't the only time this happened in S2, either. There's various little nodding animations throughout the season that are similarly broken, and were subsequently fixed/restored in the remaster. For example, when Kenny slips Clem the radio in episode 3? They're supposed to give a little nod of understanding to each other.

Also worth noting is that these nodding fixes aren't exclusive to the remaster, either. The Xbox one/PS4 re-releases of S2 also fixed the nod animations (although they were still somewhat broken there, as well. The animations were stiff. The remaster added even better looking animations. So basically, the animations got fixed two times.)

So to put it simply...

Original version: Broken nodding animations.

Xbox/PS4 re-release version: Fixed the nodding animations.

Remaster/collection version: Further fixed the nodding animations.

On an unrelated note: that guy really needs to turn the fucking brightness down. Let me tell you, how the remaster looks in any of those videos doesn't really do it justice. It looks a hell of a lot better on the right brightness settings.

Ok. Here's one I just discovered. In Season 2 "All That Remains," we have the *"Still. Not. Bitten." scene. After Carlos says that he'l

• Damn, you know your programming is jank when you need remasters for fuckin nod animations.

Interestingly enough, the remastered version is actually how the scene was supposed to play out. Clementine was meant to nod in the original

edited May 2018

Eh, that's pretty much programming in a nutshell. Change a single line of code? Suddenly everything breaks. Fix it? Two other things break. Fix the fix? Somehow it gets even worse.

Damn, you know your programming is jank when you need remasters for fuckin nod animations.

• Man. That's a job right there.
    Kinda puts things into perspective.

Eh, that's pretty much programming in a nutshell. Change a single line of code? Suddenly everything breaks. Fix it? Two other things break. Fix the fix? Somehow it gets even worse.

• Brightness settings: I fucking knew it.

Anyway, that is really interesting how a bug changed the tone of the scene.
    Wow.
    You got any other examples? I remember the bugged facial animations from ANF, of course.

Interestingly enough, the remastered version is actually how the scene was supposed to play out. Clementine was meant to nod in the original

• Yeah, Season 1 had some really stilted animations, even for a Telltale game.

It seems like it almost always involved Kenny. Or maybe it's just because he was voiced so well. Like go back to when he yells at Ben, hear the pain and disbelief in his voice when he says "my wife and child" but the animation is pretty much just flapping his jaw up and down like a puppet :lol: Takes some of the impact out.

Kenny's determinant "fight" with Larry is another example of this.

That part_ is _ pretty funny. But as I've said before, the argument with Larry/Lilly is probably one of the weirdest parts of season 1. It's written very awkwardly, like they spliced together different scripts/takes.
    Like why is Lee ordering Kenny to hit larry? Why wasn't there an option to punch him ourselves? Is Kenny suddenly Lee's henchman?

Uh...

What?

There are times when Season 2 feels like it's a sequel to an alternate season 1. A season 1 where Kenny and Clementine were close, where

• It seems like it almost always involved Kenny. Or maybe it's just because he was voiced so well. Like go back to when he yells at Ben, hear the pain and disbelief in his voice when he says "my wife and child" but the animation is pretty much just flapping his jaw up and down like a puppet :lol: Takes some of the impact out.

Very true.

That part is pretty funny. But as I've said before, the argument with Larry/Lilly is probably one of the weirdest parts of season 1. It's written very awkwardly, like they spliced together different scripts/takes.

Really now?

Like why is Lee ordering Kenny to hit larry? Why wasn't there an option to punch him ourselves? Is Kenny suddenly Lee's henchman?

To be fair, Kenny did ask him what they should do about Larry beforehand.
    Plus, Lee does have some capacity to be a flipflopping asshole if you choose, so the hilarity of not backing up Kenny only to tell him to kick Larry's ass and get curbstomped is possible.

What?

I was trying to think about it.

Yeah, Season 1 had some really stilted animations, even for a Telltale game. It seems like it almost always involved Kenny. Or maybe

• Here's another reference that I can't believe I missed:

"If I'd known you were David's brother... I'd have shoved that gas can down your throat and lit you up like a candle."

Apparently, Badger was originally supposed to flat out set Prescott on fire. There's both an unused argument between him and Max about it and a line from Tripp at the beginning of Above the Law.

• Kinda dont like how the remastered version has so many weird changes. Like, whats even the point of adding Clem nodding? Like you said, it feels out of place, especially knowing how its suppose to be. Still pretty upset how they removed Lee grabbing the glass in episode 5 too, just another "why" moment.

Ok. Here's one I just discovered. In Season 2 "All That Remains," we have the *"Still. Not. Bitten." scene. After Carlos says that he'l

• I believe this is just a reference to how much he hates David, not to how he was going to set Prescott on fire. That gas can is the one where Javier stored fuel from the vehicle in the junkyard.

Here's another reference that I can't believe I missed: "If I'd known you were David's brother... I'd have shoved that gas can down your throat and lit you up like a candle."

edited May 2018

When Ben confesses to Kenny in episode 4, it seems there was originally an option for Lee to take the blame for what happened at the motor inn:

I'm not sure if it was a dialogue option, or just something Lee was originally supposed to say. There's also a line from Kenny which I believe is meant to be in response to that line:

And I'm not entirely sure if this exchange was cut from the game or not, but it's still a pretty great one nonetheless:

edited May 2018

I think they toned down kenny's angst for fear of it being too much of a downer. Which bothers me. Kenny's drinking is almost played for laughs in the episode.

I can also shed a little bit of light on this.

So, there was an old interview from years ago with Gary Whitta, I believe. He mentioned that originally, the choice to kill the zombie boy in the attic wasn't as somber; it was more frantic, with the boy slowly crawling towards Lee and Kenny, if I recall correctly. I can't remember all the details, or even where he said this, but I know for a fact that it's out there somewhere. Might have been on the old Playing Dead talk-show thing they did. At any rate, the game files seem to confirm what was said-- the scene was indeed different.

Now I'm not entirely sure how much of this is accurate, but from what I can piece together, I believe this is how the scene was originally supposed to play out:

After Ben calls him up, Lee goes to the attic to check on Kenny. The zombie boy is up there, slowly crawling towards Kenny, who has broken down over the sight of the boy. He's trying to compose himself, and find the courage to kill the boy. Lee and Kenny would talk a bit, Kenny would mention how he wants to give the kid a proper burial (since Duck didn't get one), and it would lead into the choice of who kills the boy. The original choice was to either try to encourage Kenny to kill the boy himself, or step in and kill him before he reached Kenny. It seems that there was two ways for Lee to approach the situation: either he could lose his temper with Kenny, and start yelling at him to get it over with, or he could be gentle and try to encourage him. Either way, you'd either pressure Kenny into finally doing it, or do it yourself.

If you killed him yourself, Kenny would snap at you, angry that you stole his chance for closure. Lee had a few different dialog options here (telling Kenny he was trying to spare him the grief, or trying to explain to Kenny that they can't hesitate/let their guard down), with the exact dialog changing based on who killed Duck, but they ultimately loop back to Kenny being angry with Lee.

If you let Kenny do it, he'd kill the boy then break down, and Lee would try to comfort him once more before leaving the attic.

So basically, the scene went from angsty and confrontational to more somber and tragic.

And this is where that scene in the next time trailer finally comes into play: the "this is the only fucking thing I got left, and you wanna take that away from me too?!" line is in reference to this scene, which I assume would come up if you chose to kill the boy yourself. Since that entire sequence was changed/removed, the scene with drunk Kenny was also changed as a result. I should mention that outside of all the cut attic dialog, there's not much other Kenny-related lines in the files. The drunken Kenny scene was mostly the same as it was now, just with Kenny sounding a bit more pessimistic-- "Doesn't matter, we're all fucked anyways..." and a few more lines like that. Basically, he went from drunk, depressed mumbling to drunk, angry ranting. So I guess you could say they toned it down, but not by that much.

The attic scene also seemed to go through a few other versions as well. There was a point where Ben could come up to check on Lee and Kenny before being told to go back downstairs. There was another version of the above where Lee could walk out, and Ben would ask what's going on and what they were shouting about. There was even a version where Ben could kill the zombie boy as well at some point.

That whole attic sequence is a fucking goldmine in terms of cut content. I'd love to go into more detail, but there's a ton of stuff to sift through. Maybe I'll try to compile together some of the stuff later. Regardless, all I have to go off of is scattered dialog and voice lines, trying to figure out what order they played in. Like I said, I'm not sure how much of that summary is accurate. If the guy that managed to get these other deleted scenes working is still around, he should see about trying to restore the original version of the attic scene, because holy hell, this is probably one of the most reworked scenes in the game from what I can tell.

Yeah, the sham line is in the game. What that video has an alternate take/reading of it. The one in the game is actually a lot angrier and

• I believe this is just a reference to the one where Javier stored fuel from the vehicle in the junkyard.

Fixed.
    Good point though.

Though now that I think about it, wouldn't it have been messed up if he used Javier's gas can to do so?

Fangirl101 posted: »

I believe this is just a reference to how much he hates David, not to how he was going to set Prescott on fire. That gas can is the one where Javier stored fuel from the vehicle in the junkyard.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.