Interactive Fanfiction: The Road Ahead.

Comments

• [Shoot him]

TWD_25 posted: »

Episode 3 - WE STAND TOGETHER [Part 5/6] [I'll go back] I look back nervously up the stairs. Who am I? I'm no leader. Why am I doin

• Shoot him

Episode 3 - WE STAND TOGETHER [Part 5/6] [I'll go back] I look back nervously up the stairs. Who am I? I'm no leader. Why am I doin

• [Shoot him] and then get the hell out of that burning building to see who got shot by the snipers.

• [Shoot him]

• edited October 2014

Voting is Closed! Rachel will [Shoot him]

• edited October 2014

Episode 3- We Stand Together [Part 6/6]

[Shoot him]

"Fuck you." I looked him dead in the eye as I fired the shot. A numb feeling overwhelms my body, like it's not even me, like I'm just watching everything play out in a movie. Is this even my hand? The hand I used to shoot some old man with? I look at all the dead bodies around me. Kyung and Brecker are both shot in the head, that biter's still there if you count her, and Sam and Zaphaeus are hardly recognizable. I unloaded Sam's handgun and checked the remaining shells.

"Three left." I whisper to myself. I look outside the window next to where Breckers body lays. The horde is too close for comfort now. I sprint out the sixth floor and down the fire escape.

"Audrey? Charity... It's me, we have to go." I call out to the vast unknown of the staircase. They're obviously not on the fifth floor as I pass it, it's in complete flames. Even part of the emergency staircase is on fire now. The sound of smoker's cough comes out of my diaphragm as I pass it. I carefully run past the bright red inferno with my shirt still covering my nose and mouth as I head to the fourth floor and quickly open the grey metal door.

"Audrey? Charity! We have to go, are you listening?" I yell as I take a step into the dirty white tiles. I immediately shut the door as a chunk of the fifth floor clashes into the fourth. Setting the fourth into another ball of fire. I sprint to the third, then the second, then the bottom. "Where the hell are you assholes?" I irritatedly whisper to myself.

I open the emergency staircase to the lobby, still intact. In fact you wouldn't even be able to tell that there's a growing fire above. I yell out Audrey and Charity's name one more time. No luck. But another noise strikes me, not the biters footsteps pounding on the pavement or the few that have already found there next meal inside but a distressed voice.

"Brent?" I believed his name was as he slowly stopped turned around and looked at me.

"What do you want?" He glares at me with his dark brown eyes, he had to be no older than fifteen although he was quite tall.

"This building is going to bust, we gotta move now!" I warn him, dancing delicately away from the subject of Sam.

"Really?" He says worried. He gets up and stands by me. "We have to go then." He tells me as he begins to run for the front entrance.

"Wait!" I quickly reply, running to catch up to him. "Biters. Outside. We have to be careful." I tell him quickly trying to avoid a death sentence.

"Than what are we waiting for?" He quickly runs out the building. I follow him closely and drop my torch.

The Streets

I feel the warm pavement on my shoes again. I take in a big breath of air. Fresh air. I smile at the thought and close my eyes. The sweet, sweet smell of fresh air after breathing in too much smoke is something i'll never take for granted. I snap out of the thought as I hear the biters moans grow louder. I look around at the biters, thousands upon thousands less than one hundred yards away from both sides of the street. I look at the building, the rooftop is set ablaze by none other than me. There's no sounds of gunshots, so they must be dead. I look ahead of me, There's a dark shifty looking alleyway with a rusty chain linked fence in front about nine or so feet tall. I look behind me and see two figures.

"Brent!" I call out alerting him, that I'm going back. "Get to the alleyway!" I tell him.

"Audrey, Charity! We have to move. Now!" I tell them. Audrey and Charity's hands intertwine together. Audrey looks nervously at a scared Charity.

"Babe we have to go. We can't just sit here." Audrey tries to calm her down. "Look at me. It's going to be okay." Audrey embraces Charity and touches Charity's thick long black wavy hair. Audrey and Charity begin walking carefully together in a zigzag. I stay by them and gesture to Brent to keep running in a zigzag.

"Sam!" Brent remembers as he starts sprinting back to the hospital. "Sam's still there! I have to get him!" He tells me. I grab him by the wrist and grip as tight as I can.

"Brent don't. Sam's--"

"Get off me!" He breaks free of my grip and starts running back into the building. I look at the biters growing closer from each side no further than

"Brent! You're going to die!" I attempt to persuade him into coming back. But to no avail he's gone.

"Alright, shit. We're going to have to make a B line run to that alleyway if we're going to make it out of here." I warn them as I begin running for it. To my surprise Audrey and Charity follow close behind. And than I hear something, a low rumble of some kind, the building collapses under it's own weight as a cloud of grey debris hits, making it almost impossible to see.

"Oh my god. Brent." I say in shock, I shake it off immediately, I had no time for this again. The biter's moans no further than a few meter's away, hopefully the building distracted most.

And than I hear the blood curdling shriek behind me that can only mean one thing.

"CHAR!" I hear Audrey scream as one of them grabs her long wavy black hair and takes a chunk out of her neck. Audrey stops me in my tracks to the alleyway as she grips tightly onto my wrist.

"KILL ME!" Charity screams in extreme agony.

"I won't let go of you Char!" She says in a panicked tone. "We're in this together." She tells her gripping onto Charity's wrist also.

"We have to help her Rachel!" screams out. Alerting a biter taking out a chunk of her arm. She let's out a painful scream as the skin off her arm rips off and the sound of bone cracking. I try pulling my arm away but to no avail. A biter behind me almost grabs my hand as I shoot him in the face. Two shells remaining.

Breaking free won't work.

Charity's bit and is already dead.

Audrey's bit but maybe we still have time

I need to do this.

[Shoot Audrey and escape on your own] [Shoot Charity and hope Audrey lets go]

TO BE CONTINUED IN EPISODE FOUR

[YOUR CHOICES]

REVENGE - You attempted to shoot Brecker.

FRIENDSHIP - You warned Margareth and spoke in the radio.

ALLIES - You taught Cynthia how to shoot.

HEROICS- You chose to go back.

AVENGEANCE - You chose a quick, painless death for Brecker

• Anybody here?

Episode 3- We Stand Together [Part 6/6] [Shoot him] "Fuck you." I looked him dead in the eye as I fired the shot. A numb feeling overw

• [Shoot Charity and hope Audrey lets go]

Episode 3- We Stand Together [Part 6/6] [Shoot him] "Fuck you." I looked him dead in the eye as I fired the shot. A numb feeling overw

• Dammit. My girls are dead. :P Well, Judy's still alive. Probably not for long, though. Yay death.

• edited October 2014

It's okay, their memories will live on well past the season. And Audrey might make it.. She just got bit in the arm.

Dammit. My girls are dead. :P Well, Judy's still alive. Probably not for long, though. Yay death.

• I was playing around, actually. I really, really enjoyed the chapter and I'm LOVING the story so far. In my own fic where the two characters come from (and Judy, as well), Charity was an amputee. Someone (I think it was another OC) said, "How'd you lose it?" Char said, "Oh, my dad cut it off when I came out." in a sarcastic tone. And the other character says, "I'm so sorry, Char!" Charity face palmed so hard and then says, "You know that was sarcasm, right? We're trapped in a world where the only way to survive a bite is amputation - how do you think I lost it?"

Anyway, long comment, sorry.

[Shoot Charity and Hope Audrey lets go] Poor Dree (my new nickname for her), she's gonna be pissed.

It's okay, their memories will live on well past the season. And Audrey might make it.. She just got bit in the arm.

• Thanks! Glad you like it. Charity sounds like a really cool character in your story. Feel free to link your story here whenever you want.

I was playing around, actually. I really, really enjoyed the chapter and I'm LOVING the story so far. In my own fic where the two characters

• [Shoot audrey and escape on your own] I'm sorry, but I read the comics, and I watched this happen already.

• What happened?

[Shoot audrey and escape on your own] I'm sorry, but I read the comics, and I watched this happen already.

• NEXT TIME ON THE WALKING DEAD

My feet trail slowly against the warm pavement. We walked all through the night and into dawn as I saw the morning sun bring a new hope. WILLIAM P. HOBBY AIRPORT - NEXT EXIT I eyed the sign on the freeway. The scowl on my lip had slowly made its way into a smile.

"We're so close, we can't just give up now. Not after all this." James tells the group.

I lift up the security grille and scope inside. My flashlight gives the dark room a little light.

"Nothing but some rotting bodies and those sky mall magazines." I let out a sigh, kicking one of the racks. The rusty old thing clinks on the floor. I pick up what I found earlier and put it in my pockets

"Don't move." The stranger's voice calmly whispers to me with a gun pointed at my forehead.

"Do you hear that? Do you hear that sweet, sweet sound coming from the radio?" Bridgit tells me. "Rachel, the government's finally back!" She belts a sigh of relief.

EPISODE FOUR - AS WE FALL

Sorry for the long wait for the trailer it's just that I had school and stuff to do. And Rachel will [Shoot Charity and hope Audrey lets go]

• edited November 2015

Episode 4 - As We Fall [Prolouge]

[Shoot Charity and hope Audrey lets go]

I looked through the thickening cloud of gray debris. The once beautiful skin on Charity's face was horrifically mauled as it peeled off like a banana as a biter clawed deeply into her face, neck and legs. A tugging feeling I almost assumed was a biter gripped on to my hand with an iron grip.

"KILL ME!" Charity loudly screams for a quick death.

"SHUT THE FUCK UP CHAR!" Audrey yells. I line up the shot and aims at Charity's head. Audrey turns around and looks at me as I pull the trigger.

"NO!" She screams. I hit the ground instantly as Audrey instantly lets go of her grip, I look at the alleyway ahead. I jerk Audrey’s hand and yank her to her feet.

“MOVE!” I demand as we start sprinting to the alleyway.

“Oh my god… Oh god!” She screams in a horrific tone. I quickly help her get up the rusty chain linked fence with her one good arm as she hops over. I look back behind me seeing nothing but the grey debris in the darkening sky carrying nothing but a sea of walkers growing closer to me. I quickly hop over the fence and look at the path ahead. When suddenly a pain from the back of my scalp jerks me back. I begin kicking and screaming. I can't see but I know that the gate behind me has at least one walker with it's hand yanking my hair. I fight back, but there's to much hair in it's hand. If I point back and fire, my hand would get clawed because I can't see.

Is this it?

I hope not. It can't be.

My scalp is burning, and I feel like I'm being dragged to my death. I continue to kick and scream until he pressure suddenly eases and I'm free. I turn around, and with a bloody hatchet in hand Audrey has cut the hand that pulled me back.

“Shit. That was too close.” I whispered. The alleyway spreads to the next street over, with another horde swarming, coming our way.

“Char, she’s—“

“I’m so sorry Audrey, it was the only way.” I tell her. “Look, I’m sorry but if we’re getting out of here we gotta move, that fence isn’t going to hold forever and that horde…” I look around desperately at the red brick walls surrounding us feeling like they’re closing in. I look at Audrey’s forearm the oozing blood seemed to have slowed down.

“The ladder!” I point to it. It seems to be missing a chunk of the base, it's nine feet that leads to a fire escape hopefully to an empty rooftop. I jump for it, but even my tall build can't reach it. I hear a loud click come from the chain linked fence, the fence slowly begins making its way down I turn to the other side of the alley, the horde began walking into the alley.

“Hell, now what?” I anxiously say. “There’s no way out.” I sigh. Audrey looks directly at me.

“Get on my shoulders.” Audrey tells me sternly. I look at her in shock. It was a suicide mission I couldn’t it do that.

“NOW!” She demands. “I’m not making it out, look at this!” She lifts up her shirt revealing a walker bite in the side of her stomach.

“No point in both of us dying.” She tells me. I look at her, the tears almost get to me, but I try with all my might to hold them in.

“It’s okay. Just let me do this.” She says also trying to hold back tears. I look into her light brown eyes one last time. I hop onto her shoulders reluctantly.

“Damn, you’re heavier than you look.” She jokes as she wobbles trying to keep her balance. I pull myself up the ladder with chips of red paint flowing through the wind. I hear a loud, pained scream as I pull myself up onto the fire escape deck.

“AUDREY!” I scream as she applies pressure onto a new bite. She pulls out a hatchet and begins swinging left and right, trying to hold out as long as possible. I couldn’t just sit and watch as she gets eaten alive.

[Throw her the gun] [Hold onto your gun]

Just made a quick prologue. There’s still going to be six chapters and five major decisions other than this one. Just didn’t want you guys to wait for two week without a chapter.

• [Hold onto your gun]

Episode 4 - As We Fall [Prolouge] [Shoot Charity and hope Audrey lets go] I looked through the thickening cloud of gray debris. The on

• [Throw her the gun]

Episode 4 - As We Fall [Prolouge] [Shoot Charity and hope Audrey lets go] I looked through the thickening cloud of gray debris. The on

• edited October 2014

[Throw her the gun]

Poor Audrey doesn't deserve to be eaten alive...

• edited October 2014

If that's all the votes I guess Rachel will [Throw her the gun] I've got a bad feeling that the stories dying out.

• I know. She's my Dree-Dree. :P (Kidding. That's just a stupid nickname I came up with.) Personally I love how her character turned out though. Even if she has to die, a gun's a kinder death than being devoured alive.

[Throw her the gun] Poor Audrey doesn't deserve to be eaten alive...

• Well, if it helps, I love the story. :P

If that's all the votes I guess Rachel will [Throw her the gun] I've got a bad feeling that the stories dying out.

Well, if it helps, I love the story. :P

• edited October 2014

Episode 4 - As We Fall [Part 1/6]

[Throw her the gun]

I reach into my pocket and pull out the handgun. Only one bullet left. I took in a deep breath.

"Audrey!" I yell as I throw Sam's gun. She expressed her gratitude with a courteous smile. A biter grabs her by the back of her hair as she reaches desperately for the gun on the floor. I couldn’t watch anymore I heard her screams of pain and a sudden shot. I slowly open my eyes and see her limp body grounded to the pavement as the biters flood to the meal. She's dead, it was only me. I shivered at the thought, at least she didn't have to suffer any more, wasn't in this hell anymore.

I slowly climbed up to the roof trying to block all moans and groans from outside. I stand at the rooftop seeing a fresh biter with a torn red and white flannel shirt standing on the edge of the roof. I quickly kicked him down as he fell like a brick into the streets. I looked down at the streets seeing absolutely nothing, it was actually quite frightening to see nothing but the grey debris below filled with the sounds of biters. I had to be higher than the hospital, that's for sure as I could almost see the outskirts of the city.

"Reminds me of the library." I reminisced to myself about that rooftop. I wish I hadn't, Fredo was gone because of me, nobody else to blame, well maybe Isaac but he couldn't have known. So many people for stupid reasons. Maybe if I was just a bit faster I could've saved Charity and Audrey, or if I held on tighter I could've saved Brent.

"Nothing." I assure myself. "Nothing we can do about it now."

The next morning

I watched as the sun had made its way up the sky, A really nice sunrise, one I wasn’t sure I’d see. I couldn't fall asleep, not even if I wanted to. I hate to admit it but I was scared. I looked down at the now visible streets a couple biters straggling along, most of them had left to who knows where. I slowly pick myself up off the warming cement rooftop and wipe the sweat off my forehead. Jesus what I'd give for some A.C.

I walked carefully down the fire escape making an eerie creaking noise every step I took. This fire escape was just about done for. I looked at all the chipped paint and broken rails. This would be a public safety hazard back in the day. I climb down the ladder with a missing chunk and make a jump at the very end.

I look at the body in front of me. Audrey's body, or at least all that remains of her. A trail of her blood, the majority of her body was picked to the bone with just chunks of skin remaining, and a bullet hole in her head. I look around for the gun hoping to find it near her, the horde must've swept it up.

"Shit." I cursed, partly at Audrey’s mauled body and partly that I'm now weaponless. I slowly make my way down the streets of Houston, I remember being in the city from time to time. I looked at the cars sitting in the streets and imagined they were just stuck in traffic, but with no roaring engines or the sound of enraged drivers repeatedly honking their horns, it was hard to imagine.

I make my way down the streets, avoiding every single biter in sight. I start humming a little song I made up. The lyrics were complete garbage obviously and my singing was always pretty shitty, but hey, whatever helps.

I hear the sound of an AK just around the corner. Oh what a beautiful sound that is. I know exactly who it is as I dash down the streets.

“There she is!” I hear Tony call out. They fire one more shot to alert me.

“Rachel! We’re up here!” I hear Margareth call out the window waving her hands. I climb up another fire escape, this one looking a lot safer than the last. I climb up several stories and hop in through the window of the living room of a really nice apartment.

The floors were made up of a very expensive looking hardwood floor. The glass windows shined brightly against the yellow paint of the living room wall. A spiral staircase from the living room lead upstairs to who knows and a large leather couch was placed in front a flat screen mounted onto the wall. Wow was this place nice, like a dream home.

“Thank god!” Margareth said excitedly as she runs up to hug me. She has an AK strapped to her back that suit her well. The bags under her eyes tell me she must’ve not had any sleep either.

“Thank you.” She said warmly.

“You had me worried there for a second.” Tony says as we both awkwardly give each other a handshake. “Don’t do that again.” He pulls me in and whispers in my ear.

“I don’t plan to.” Not after what happened.

I turn around and see Cynthia come out of a room with Matthew and Judy. She darts up and gives me a hug.

“You’re back I knew you would be!” She squeals excitedly.

“Where is everybody?” Matthew asks me. I can feel the blank expression on my face as I avoid Matthew’s eyes.

“They’re dead… All of them.” I whispered under my breath. They all looked at me in a look that gave the same expression.

“What!? How?” Matthew asked.

“Biters. The burning building.” I spoke softly hoping they wouldn’t hear me.

“Shit. This is all Selena’s fault.” Tony said.

“Excuse me?” Selena said walking in through the escape ladder window with a burlap sack.

“You heard me. You burnt the building, therefore it’s your fault!” Tony replied back.

“Fuck you Tony, if it wasn’t for me we’d all be dead!” Selena defended herself.

“Well some of us ARE ALREADY DEAD BECAUSE OF YOU!” Tony yelled at Selena. “You’re the reason Milfred’s dead.” I stood in shock.

“That wasn’t her! That was the snipers!” I tried to defend Selena.

“No, you know what? I don’t need to hear this shit.” Selena said as she stormed out the apartment and back outside.

“Well that was smooth Tony, is there ever a day where you two aren’t at each others throats?” Margareth spat to Tony.

“Shit. Maybe I was a little harsh.”

“What was in that sack?” I asked anybody.

“She said she was going for a supply run, came back with that.” Matthew replied to me. “Sometimes I don’t know about that girl she seems like a loose cannon.”

“I like her!” Judy said happily.

“Of course you do.” Matthew told Judy. I looked over at Margareth who had crossed arms and raised eyebrows and her green glare locked on Matthew.

“Cynthia, I think I saw some pen and paper in the playroom. Why don’t you and Judy check it out?” He asked his daughter.

“Yeah, sure.” She replied back in a questioning tone as she and Judy went back to the room they came out of.

Matthew slowly walked out the room into the room with Judy and Cynthia. A loud growl in my stomach rumbled. We never got a chance to eat at Brecker’s,

“Did you check the kitchen?” I asked Margareth.

“Yeah. Whoever was here before us picked this place clean.” Margareth spoke.

“Where’s James, Bridgit and Anton?” I asked Margareth.

“I tried talking to James, he just shoved me out the door and said just give him a minute.” Margareth told me.

“It’s been six hours now. I’m getting worried.” She whispered. “Losing your dad must be pretty hard.”

“Yeah,” I sighed. “It is.” I told her. I remember the day too clearly even though it happened over a decade ago.

“You want to talk about it?” Margareth asked. My heart went out for Margareth I knew that that underneath her calm composure the entire Ned incident was eating her alive.

“No. I don’t… But if one thing’s for sure it’s that he deserved it.” I spoke coldly about him.

“You know I had a little brother like Ned, just a little younger than him. I was up north visiting my mom and him just before all this… Never knew it’d be the last time I’d see them. His name was Patrick but I just called him Pat.” I told her, I felt her arm around my shoulder.

“May- Maybe it’s not.” She tells me. “It’s what I like to think at least.” She spoke softly.

“I hope you’re right.” I spoke softly as I got up off the sofa.

“Hey Rachel.” Margareth told me.

“Why don’t you talk to James, maybe seeing you made it out will help him out a little.” She suggested.

“I’ll do my best.” I say as I head up the spiral staircase. I slowly approach a mahogany door with some voices through the door speak.

“What are we going to do?” I listened to Antons muffled voice speak through the door.

“Just stay patient.” Bridgit irritatedly told Anton.

“It’s been six hours!” I heard Anton said in an annoyed tone to Bridgit. “How much more grieving does he need?” I step inside the quaint guestroom at an awkward time.

“Leave.” Bridgit grabs her gun and aims at Anton. “Just- Just go Anton. Please,” She orders him. I watch as Anton storms out without saying a word.

“Rachel!” Bridgit runs up and gives me a hug. “Milfred-“

“I know.” I whisper back. I crouch down to James sitting quietly in a chair with his eyes closed like he was trying to forget.

“James?” I say. “James?” I tug at his arm.

“Wha- What?” He responds like he just woke up. “Oh hey Rachel. Didn’t see you there.” He says.

“You feeling alright?” I ask him.

“I’m fine, I’m fine. Guess it’s time to stop bitchin’ anyways.” He gets up out the chair.

“We need to get a move on. The hospitals group could still be after us.”

“James, the building collapsed, I think we’re-“

“We’re not safe until we get a state inbetween us and them. We need to keep moving, otherwise all we’ve been through is just wasted.”

“Are you crazy? We all need to rest up a little more!” I tell him.

“So what if I am?” He told me, looking directly at me in the eyes with those bright hazel eyes.

["Fine, we'll leave right now."] ["We all need to rest a little."]

• ["We all need to rest a little."]

Episode 4 - As We Fall [Part 1/6] [Throw her the gun] I reach into my pocket and pull out the handgun. Only one bullet left. I took in

Episode 4 - As We Fall [Part 1/6] [Throw her the gun] I reach into my pocket and pull out the handgun. Only one bullet left. I took in

• Yeah, I noticed that too during the last weeks. Hopefully this decline in activity is only temporary. Since a new episode just started, you could make another ad in the advertisement thread.

Also, I just wanted to say that this story is great and among the best on this forum. You can always count on my vote.

• Thank you is much for the feedback. I'll try to make another ad.

Yeah, I noticed that too during the last weeks. Hopefully this decline in activity is only temporary. Since a new episode just started, you

• ["We all need to rest a little"]
    Sorry for the inactivity on the story, I've been away for a while but I love how it's turned out! Very well done c:

• Voting is closed! Rachel will tell James ["We all need to rest a little."] Chapter two will be posted in a couple hours.

• Sorry for no chapter this week. Just need to straighten some things out in my life right now.

• edited November 2015

Episode 4 - As We Fall [Part 2/6]

[We all need to rest a little.]

"We all need a good nights sleep, including you James. We're not leaving." I politely tell him. I try to avoid his eyes definitely giving me a cold glare.

"Can't a man grieve?" He says getting out the chair. "Just for once." He tells me as he slams the oak door behind him. I look at the cityscape that stretched on for miles. From up here you wouldn’t be able to tell the world’s gone to shit.

"It's for the best." I tell Bridgit not taking my glare off the window.

"Thanks for that, didn’t know if I’d be able to." She softly spoke to me. “Guess not.”

"Why'd you make me do that?" I question. "He would've listened to you." I cross my arms and roll my eyes still with my glare fixed on the outside.

“I don’t know. I just want everyone happy so I just stay out of this kind of stuff.” Bridgit spoke.

“I guess I see your point.” I halfheartedly say. I mean she was about to bring a kid into this hell-bound world, she may as well get a backbone.

“I was like that before. Didn’t like talking. Wouldn’t speak even speak to Zaphaeus or Selena sometimes because I was so nervous that I’d say something stupid.” I walk towards the oak door.

“And they were friends, incase you were wondering.”

“How’d you get over it?” She asks me.

“I never noticed. Just did. There are bigger things to worry about now.” I assure her as I reach for the silver knob and step out the room. I take a nice deep breath. No biters in this floor, no evil camp trying to destroy us. We're safe here, I know we are.

Down the hall is a bathroom. I'm tired, I'm stressed, and the last thing I want to do is strike up a conversation with anyone else. The bathroom is glistening clean, marble floors, a tub and a shower, vanity fair sinks. I look inside the drawers for supplies. Inside is a pair of scissors. I look at my reflection. So much has changed, except for the most part I still look like me. Sure, my skin's a little darker and I'm a little dirtier, but I never was one of those frilly girls with bows in there hair, or at least not in the past ten years.

How can I still look like me when so much has changed? I can't.

I run a comb through my hair, respiting it down the middle. I cut in as straight as a line as I can, using my jaw as a guide. I can still feel the tugging in my hair as I cut. The hard part is the back, where I can't see so I have to feel for what's right. Locks of black hair surround me in a semi-circle. And I leave the room.

When I come out I see the top of Judy’s messy red hair on the staircase along with Cynthia’s incessant giggling. I see Judy help Cynthia slide down the railing and cautiously watch from a distance. It's good child's play, but watching Cynthia play with Judy after what she did feels like a ticking time-bomb, I shouldn't be so antsy though. It's part of being a kid. It brings back a sense of normalcy.

But then I see Judy push Cynthia down the stairs my worst nightmares become real.

“Get off there now!” I yell, mostly warning Cynthia. Usually I wouldn’t care about these kinds of things but I wouldn’t even trust Judy with safety scissors.

She looks at me like I'm a totally different person. It must be the haircut. She stutters for a moment. "We were just having some fun." I look over at Cynthia. Her knee is scraped up and quickly turning purple.

“No.” I demand. “No more playing.” I watch Judy’s head bobbles up and down as she walks down each step. She quickly walks into a room and slams the door. There's so many rooms in this apartment, enough for everyone here.

“What was that for?” Margareth asked me displeased. “You didn’t have to go yelling at her.” She tells me.

“It’s just-“ I look for the words. “It’s just not safe.” I didn’t like it but it was the truth, I was scared for Cynthia when she was near Judy.

“Safe?” Margareth retorts back. “I did that all the time as a kid and I’m fine.”

“I’m gonna go check on her.” Margareth tells me as she opens the door.

“You alright?” I lightly elbow Cynthia.

"It hurts." She whimpers. “She scares me sometimes.” Cynthia whispers to me. I pick her up and set her on the living room couch.

“I don’t doubt it.”

"Your hair is different now." She says. "I like it."

"You should start being more careful around Judy." I say.

“She’s my friend. And friends don’t just ignore each other.” She defends her.

“You got that backpack of mine?” I changed the topic.

“Yeah it’s in the corner.” She said. “Do you want it?” She responded glumly.

“No,” I said with a little chuckle. “just go get it.” I quickly ran to the burlap sack with guns and, it couldn’t be.

“Oh my god! Thank you.” A beautiful bow and arrow had a leather quiver held and what looked to be a least 30 steel looking arrows in it. I carefully set the quiver on my back. I dug around the sack some more and found a loaded glock.

“Your dad’s not here is he?” I ask Cynthia.

“No, he went to calm James.” She tells me. “Between you and me James is really tall.” She whispered to me. I smiled at that random thought.

“I think everyone knows that.” I was one of the tallest people in our group, male or female and James still stood six inches taller than me.

“Anyways, put this in your bag.” I hand her the glock. She looks at it surprised.

“You know how to take it off of safety? Because it’s on that right now.”

“Uh, no.” She told me in a confused tone. For several minutes I teach her how the safety works and even how to shoot some more.

“Don’t let others know you have this. Promise?” I ask Cynthia.

“I promise.”

“And promise me you’ll only use it when you need it okay?”

“Promise.”

6 days later.

My feet trail slowly against the warm pavement. Little weeds grow out of the cracks on the freeway, vines grow against the concrete overpasses. All that rest had done us good, we’ve been on the road for the past two days, I don’t know if we would’ve made it.

“So I almost forgot, what’d that piece of shit do to y’all?” Margareth walked next to me.

“Come again?”

“Audrey and that guy she was with.” She stumbles for his name as do I. “Cameron, I think.” She finally says.

And to think I had almost forgot.

“I didn’t see Cameron, he’s dead for sure.” I speak neutrally of him, maybe he wasn’t bad, Audrey wasn’t. “Audrey wasn’t as bad as she seemed. She was actually my friend.”

“The girl tried to kill you. I still don’t see how you view that girl as a “friend.” “ James tells me with a sarcastic tone in friend.

I hear a low grumble from under the overpass ahead. I grab my bow and aim.

“I got this.” Selena lowers my arm and pulls out her machete. She swiftly decapitates one in a swing and gracefully turns around and slices the hand off of another one about to grab her, kicks him to the ground and crushes his head in with her foot.

“Poor guy.” Judy sighs.

“Let’s go.” She tells the group.

“Man you’re no fun.” I joke.

“Wrong. I’m actually a great conversationalist at parties.” She sarcastically replies. I snicker at that thought.

“Sure you are.” I’m barely able to say because her and I are laughing so hard.

“Mmmph.” I turn around and see Bridgit hunched over.

“You good?” Tony asked Bridgit.

“I’m fine, just a little further.”

“How pregnant are you?” Selena asked, I give her a good nudge on the arm.

“Six months. God pregnancy is a bitch.” She says trying to regain her breath. “I’m good lets keep going.” Bridgit starts walking faster.

“Shit!” Matthew whispers. I look back at him.

“What? I’m fine.” Matthew tells me. I keep walking.

“Dad?” Cynthia whispers nervously to him.

WILLIAM P. HOBBY AIRPORT - NEXT EXIT I eyed the sign.

“Barely legible in the night.” Matthew says, I look into the purple sky against the green sign.

“How far is that?” Anton asks.

“Should be a quarter mile out.” James says. “I’ve been here before.”

“We should keep walking than, before it gets dark.” Tony says.

“That’d be good.” Matthew says.

We keep walking, faster than we were before. I eye the building ahead, planes lay on the runway ahead, some are clearly destroyed but maybe not all of them.

“So are we going to hijack a plane or something when we get there?” Selena asks.

“Not unless you know how to fly.” James says. “But maybe there could be gas in the parking lot. Hopefully.”

“That’s it? We’ve been walking for two days for gasoline!” Matthew yelled at James so loud I was sure biters would come out from every corner.

“Shut up!” I sharply whisper. “Sorry, just the biters around here.” I say as I scratch the back of my neck.

“Let’s just set up camp for the night.” Tony tells the group.

So we walk, and we walk all the way to the inside. Tony, James and Bridgit all grab flashlights from Cynthia’s blue backpack and walk through the terminal. There are about five biters roaming around. I manage to get rid of them all after several tedious tries.

“Not so easy in the dark.” I tell myself while picking up the remaining arrows.

“Over there.” James lifts up a security grille in a shop that I believe was once a book store.

“All clear.” He said after examining. “Should be good for the night.”

“It’s kinda small.” Matthew sighs.

“Well it’s a secure place, it’s as good as we’re gonna get.” Tony told him.

“Look at all these books!” Cynthia exclaimed.

“Agreed.” Margareth says in delight along with Cynthia.

We all went to bed. From time to time I could see Cynthia have her flashlight shine on some book until the others finally got annoyed with the light so they made her put it up.

I look around Matthew, Cynthia, Judy, Anton, Bridgit, James, Selena, Tony and Margareth. Crazy to think we’ve all lost somebody. Crazy to think that we’re the remaining survivors, of all the people we met. I try to forget about it as I toss and turn through the night. I swear to god I have not once had a good nights sleep since all this started.

I wake up at the sound of a cap of some kind opening. Alcohol of some kind. I get up and crawl past all the bodies. Trying not to step on anybody.

“Whatcha drinking?” I asked Tony who is the only other person still up.

“Bourbon.” He replies after taking a swig of the bottle. “Want some?”

[Drink] [Don't Drink]

• [Drink]

Episode 4 - As We Fall [Part 2/6] [We all need to rest a little.] "We all need a good nights sleep, including you James. We're not lea

• [Don't Drink]

Episode 4 - As We Fall [Part 2/6] [We all need to rest a little.] "We all need a good nights sleep, including you James. We're not lea

• [Drink]

• Voting is closed! Rachel will [Drink] with Tony. Almost done with the next chapter.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.